Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

NippleFloss posted:

People say cloud a lot when really they mean that application as a service/platform as a service/blah as a service will pick up a lot of the low handing fruit that would have otherwise been run (often poorly) in house or managed by an MSP.

At least until one of the big providers has a massive outage that screws up someones business for a day or two, then you'll get c-levels yelling about why aren't you doing this in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You'll see less MSPs/VARs but the cloud doesn't manage itself and there a ton of customers who don't utilize a lot of what they've purchased.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

You'll see less MSPs/VARs but my butt doesn't manage itself and there a ton of customers who don't utilize a lot of what they've purchased.

Wholeheartedly disagree. You'll see MORE msps with lower-budget packages for cloud services.

Want your cloud / desktop hybrid environment managed in-house? You still need 2 full timers to cover all hours / vacation / sick time which runs 100k/yr minimum if they know what they're doing (you need cloud management, network, desktop support which are three entirely different realms).

OR you could hire an MSP at 50k/yr, get constant business hour coverage without dealing with scheduling, and your entire environment is covered by people who (theoretically) know what they're doing.

And if you only want the cloud side of things managed, MSPs will offer hosted service support for less and it's a way better deal than hiring somebody in house or pulling one of your productive people off their work to deal with AWS support all day.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So started my first proper sysadmin job at a local government place. It's pretty nice so far. Had a fun problem with an infinite fax loop from hell. A user set up a notification in our fax system (Faxcore) to be notified by fax when she receives a fax. So, she got a fax... which notified her that she got a fax, which notified her of the second fax, etc. 50,000 faxes later...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would fax software let you choose to be notified by fax that you have a fax?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, that was my first question once I figured out the option existed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax? fax?

Need I say more?

*edit* gently caress I need to go to bed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It should be printing off a small postcard for someone to hand deliver

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

invision posted:

At least until one of the big providers has a massive outage that screws up someones business for a day or two, then you'll get c-levels yelling about why aren't you doing this in house.

All of the big providers have had outages at this point and the trend hasn't abated. Running things in house does not prevent outages. In many cases it actually causes them!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

invision posted:

With a sufficiently large provider, it's indistinguishable from a partial Internet outage for your users anyway.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah but it doesn't make a difference. $100k in the Bay Area is easily equivalent to $50k in midwest suburbs when your rent for a 500 sq ft shack is $1500/month and your taxes turn you into goatse man. It all sounds great and wonderful to be making six figures but if the cost of living is absurdly higher than the actual experience isn't anywhere near "fuckoff rich" like it would be making $100k in Kansas.

Austin is great. Salaries run to East Coast/Bay Area levels so companies can hire competitively, but the cost of living is still pretty midwestern outside of downtown.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OR you could hire an MSP at 50k/yr

I can't speak for some of our bigger customers for the MSP I work at, but my most troublesome client has almost 50 people, their IT infrastructure is an absolute mess, and I'm pretty much the only guy that works on tickets for them because I'm the most familiar with their poo poo.

We were supposed to migrate their 900 GB server share to Dropbox for Business months ago, but we simply haven't had the chance to because of a combination of lack of internal managing on their end and not enough techs on ours.

One of the C-levels insists on using Macs in an environment that requires PCs because of software restrictions, so they're using an RDS that desperately needs to be setup from scratch again, and also half of the users still can't wrap their heads around the difference between a local and remote desktop anyway. Yes, even between OS X and Windows.

They onboard and offboard employees every couple of weeks, and there's absolutely no semblance of asset tagging in place because I literally do not have time to audit existing equipment. I've had to make do with trying to get it all done on the fly.

I'm supposed to transition them from a terrible PBX to VoIP, which will take a considerable amount of time due to the lack of legacy documentation available to me (and also because I've never done something like it at this scale before - I can figure it out eventually with research, but I'm a goddamn help desk technician and this is all out of my pay grade).

This is all on top of them sending in around 15-20 tickets per week... the vast majority of which, again, I have to take care of myself. Along with the rest of the clients assigned to me.

They're located here in San Francisco and only pay us $2k per month, last time I checked. :stare:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm used on the project side for our Managed Services group (sorta, it's changing for me lately). And we typically will not just overlay our services on an existing infrastructure. As soon as the Statement of Work is signed, we start on a project to transition customers to our standard model for support. Most of our customers are hiring us to manage specific infrastructure that we manufacture, but some want us to manage EVERYTHING infrastructure related. Regardless, we have certain requirements the customer must sign off for us to take them as a customer. Nothing onerous, but we demand a certain uniformity across our customers. This helps our Tier1 and Tier2 be able to deal with 95+% of issues that arise (similar to a post made earlier). Senior T2 (who are really T3) are assigned as leads for specific customers. We have change review boards every week, keep accurate and up to date inventories, and current and previous 2 revs of configs for all customers and devices.

The point is, for many of these customers we're giving them the first really structured processes they've had. There are always growing pains, but I think our MS group does a pretty good job of being an asset to the customer's IT teams. However, delivering this level of service is pretty much because A) we're limited in scope --our Managed Services is specialized --and B) Since we don't need to be just another group in a sea of generalists, we don't need to race to the bottom and have razor thin margins. My company will negotiate, sure, but we have a definite point where we'll just walk away.

It also helps that we eat our own dog food. Our corporate network infrastructure is also managed by our Managed Services group. And Managed Services treats us the same as any other customer. We hear every "Yer doing it wrong", and we used to butt heads with corporate IT. But just like any other customer we have, I think they did a good job by showing the same level of service to ourselves as they do any other customer, and now there's talk of expanding the NOC to monitor additional services and client devices.

I started as a T3 SME and mostly used for project work. Or at least I was, I'm in transition to a new position that was created for me with the end state of me creating a SOC for the Managed Services group. One of the products we make is security related, and we admin it, but the customer needs their own SOC. Now there has been some indications from customers that a SOC service would be greeted favorably.

There will always be a need for generalist MSPs in small and medium companies, but margins will probably be tight. Ultimately, I think the big money is going to be in MSPs that offer a specialized service. We're not growing in leaps and bounds, but we're growing consistently.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

It depends, but our minimum level of service involves network monitoring/security, so we will swap out routers with fortinets configured by us, and then our monitoring agent will typically go on every single desktop/server.

This is precisely what bankonIT does. We acquired a bank that they supported and it was (and still is) intetesting.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OR you could hire an MSP at 50k/yr, get constant business hour coverage without dealing with scheduling, and your entire environment is covered by people who (theoretically) know what they're doing.

that's true if IT is just a cost center, but then they won't have any institutional knowledge of your business and can never align IT with the business.

edit: fixed quote brackets

adorai fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 3, 2016

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

W00t just got an offer letter for babies first IT job (internal helpdesk) at a large fortune 500 company. :yotj:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Starkk posted:

W00t just got an offer letter for babies first IT job (internal helpdesk) at a large fortune 500 company. :yotj:

Congrats!

And keep posting so we can track your growing cynicism and disillusionment.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

flosofl posted:

Congrats!

And keep posting so we can track your growing cynicism and disillusionment.

Of course! I've been reading this thread the past few months with a whole lot of 0_0 going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions and learn. Nothing worse than a new person starting and declaring current practises to be 'poo poo' without any idea of why things might be done in a certain way.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Starkk posted:

Of course! I've been reading this thread the past few months with a whole lot of 0_0 going on.

Keep in mind that for every 0_0 story you read here, there are plenty of days that just go by normally. That said, never not post 0_0 stories.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Go in with an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions and learn. Nothing worse than a new person starting and declaring current practises to be 'poo poo' without any idea of why things might be done in a certain way.

Yeah believe me I know how little I know, gonna keep an open mind and just learn as much as possible while studying for certs as this place will pay for them.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

rafikki posted:

Keep in mind that for every 0_0 story you read here, there are plenty of days that just go by normally. That said, never not post 0_0 stories.

Luckily I have a former coworker from my police dispatching days who works in help desk and he has given me a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's a fairly traditional company, ie I have to wear a tie everyday and it's fairly busy but lots of room for promotions and I'll get to touch a lot of different things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Starkk posted:

It's a fairly traditional company, ie I have to wear a tie everyday
What? Even IBM doesn't do this anymore.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Yup it's super traditional, I'm not looking forward to it but I can't complain too much, it's my first job in IT so if they want a tie they get a tie.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Starkk posted:

Yup it's super traditional, I'm not looking forward to it but I can't complain too much, it's my first job in IT so if they want a tie they get a tie.
Good attitude! You'll go far down the chasm of endless despair.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Starkk posted:

Don't become a goon in a well. I mean, sure we'll do our best to help you, but we'll laugh the entire time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Starkk posted:

I mean what kind of tie do you get to go with a free vendor tshirt and cargo shorts?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It's that time of year again: I just got a new job!

Jesus Christ.

I'm going to be migrating 38 tiny rear end locations to office 365. Every location is a complete special snowflake in it's own lovely way and there seems to be no real plan.

There are some sites with XP machines running outlook express with 10GB PST files. Some are Office 2010, 2013, etc Every site has 2-4 email accounts on an icewarp server and not a single computer is on the domain.

Each machine has a 1-2 local accounts with a local password, neither of which seems to be written down. Each email account has a standalone username/password combo, neither is written down but I at least should have access to the icewarp server to get those myself. The username part of each email address is also pretty inconsistent and dumb, I'll try to standardize it. Each user has a new premade standalone office 365 account (no AD integration) with a password/username that is kinda written down.

There are 6 different email domains in use for no real reason and it's super confusing when you're spreading those domains across everything. I think I'm consolidating it down to 2? Not exactly sure. Nobody was able to give me a proper answer to any of my many, many questions.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to actually get some tools to do my job and take a look at how I'm going to give everything a new proper consistent naming scheme, alias the old stuff to the new stuff, migrate everyone's self maintained contact list/calendar/PST file to office 365.

Eventually I hope to put all these machines on a domain and set up a unified credential system with ADFS SSO. :kiddo: And throw the XP machines into the garbage.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 3, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ugh two people I liked in management just quit. (My old boss a director, and his boss a VP (who is also my current bosses boss.)) Super obnoxious as the VP was doing really good things for the organization.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Methanar posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm going to be migrating 38 tiny rear end locations to office 365. Every location is a complete special snowflake in it's own lovely way and there seems to be no real plan.

There are some sites with XP machines running outlook express with 10GB PST files. Some are Office 2010, 2013, etc Every site has 2-4 email accounts on an icewarp server and not a single computer is on the domain.

Each machine has a 1-2 local accounts with a local password, neither of which seems to be written down. Each email account has a standalone username/password combo, neither is written down but I at least should have access to the icewarp server to get those myself. The username part of each email address is also pretty inconsistent and dumb, I'll try to standardize it. Each user has a new premade standalone office 365 account (no AD integration) with a password/username that is kinda written down.

There are 6 different email domains in use for no real reason and it's super confusing when you're spreading those domains across everything. I think I'm consolidating it down to 2? Not exactly sure. Nobody was able to give me a proper answer to any of my many, many questions.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to actually get some tools to do my job and take a look at how I'm going to give everything a new proper consistent naming scheme, alias the old stuff to the new stuff, migrate everyone's self maintained contact list/calendar/PST file to office 365.

Eventually I hope to put all these machines on a domain and set up a unified credential system with ADFS SSO. :kiddo: And throw the XP machines into the garbage.

Get rid of everything and reset from start? :D

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

high six posted:

Get rid of everything and reset from start? :D

Wow! That power surge just took out your equipment!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Methanar posted:

Jesus Christ.

Its a drat shame that all that equipment broke and had to be re-imaged. Damned crypto lockers.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Starkk posted:

Luckily I have a former coworker from my police dispatching days who works in help desk and he has given me a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's a fairly traditional company, ie I have to wear a tie everyday and it's fairly busy but lots of room for promotions and I'll get to touch a lot of different things.

I heard from clam down that you don't have to wear ties in Canada.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might have to take a 2 month long contract. That's two <1yr contracts in a row. Would it be poor form to put something in the description of the job mentioning that they're contracts? At this point I've got 11 months, 9 months, and now potentially 2 months. That doesn't look good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might have to take a 2 month long contract. That's two <1yr contracts in a row. Would it be poor form to put something in the description of the job mentioning that they're contracts? At this point I've got 11 months, 9 months, and now potentially 2 months. That doesn't look good.
Absolutely not poor form, but don't make someone fish into the bullet points for that information. Put something like (Contract) either next to the job title or the company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. Just put (Contract) next to the job title. I wouldn't judge someone for having short contracts. It's just a fact of life in certain IT fields.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed. Just put (Contract) next to the job title. I wouldn't judge someone for having short contracts. It's just a fact of life in certain IT fields.
I put the name of the contract agency in parentheses next to the actual company's name. But whatever you do you should definitely call that out, especially for short-term contracts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's what I thought, thanks. I'll figure out a pretty way to put it in there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

Its a drat shame that all that equipment broke and had to be re-imaged. Damned crypto lockers.

38 different times, no less. What are the odds?!? Must be a real targeted attack by Serious Hackers. If they want to get a handle on this, they better double Methanar's budget and pay promote him to Internet Counter Terrorist and put him on porn patrol.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I have had a job where I had to wear a suit and tie to work every day, but that was a software/management consultancy in New Jersey.

(I :yotj:'d out of it as soon as I could, mind you)