Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DEA posted:

Not a troll. This is pretty much all I asked for so I have no further questions.

e: quick question, what does Bahrain got to do with this?

So Thailand does have something to do with it?

(Bahrain is majority Twelver Islam, which allows for temporary polygamous marriage. There are other conditions, most notably actually being Twelver Shi'a)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
OK because I am currently in Bahrain until June/July. The chances anyone could guess where I am at or be related to that island in this circumstance is 1 in a billion. I was freaking out how you found out and I dug through my post history only to find no mention of Bahrain. I had to double check you weren't some mod who checked my IP.

So yeah, Bahrain does have something to do with it.

I uploaded a copy of my Bahraini driver's license as proof.

Not a troll, just fit the profile.

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first speeding ticket here in NY - plead Not Guilty by mail and my hearing is later this month.

The officer who stopped me basically said "just plead Not Guilty and they'll knock it down to a parking ticket".

Is it worth getting a lawyer for this? I was going 45 in a 30. My criminal/driving record is completely clean besides this.

I noticed on the ticket that the infraction wasn't recorded by radar - but from Googling it seems like an officer's observed judgment is permissible in court when it comes to speeding in NY.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

DEA posted:

OK because I am currently in Bahrain until June/July. The chances anyone could guess where I am at or be related to that island in this circumstance is 1 in a billion. I was freaking out how you found out and I dug through my post history only to find no mention of Bahrain. I had to double check you weren't some mod who checked my IP.

So yeah, Bahrain does have something to do with it.

I uploaded a copy of my Bahraini driver's license as proof.

Not a troll, just fit the profile.

Holy poo poo hahaha

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
:thurman:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Astounding

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

EugeneJ posted:

Got my first speeding ticket here in NY - plead Not Guilty by mail and my hearing is later this month.

The officer who stopped me basically said "just plead Not Guilty and they'll knock it down to a parking ticket".

Is it worth getting a lawyer for this? I was going 45 in a 30. My criminal/driving record is completely clean besides this.

I noticed on the ticket that the infraction wasn't recorded by radar - but from Googling it seems like an officer's observed judgment is permissible in court when it comes to speeding in NY.

USUALLY a traffic lawyer will cost more than just paying the ticket but make it go away as far as license points are concerned, so may or may not be worth it depending on how your insurance calculates rates and such. Call one and find out for sure.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
NOT A US LAWYER, THIS IS JUST COMMON SENSE ADVICE NOT LEGAL COUNSEL, TALK WITH AN ACTUAL US LAWYER FIRST, etc.

DEA you said your car is most likely stored with at a friend's house. It seems like the first thing you should do is confirm if that's true and explain the circumstances to him and tell him that you have no intention of selling your car until you're back in the US and that under no circumstances he should release your car to anyone other than yourself (with the logical exception of being instructed to do so by force of law). Perhaps even offer to send a certified letter to him with those instructions so that he has a document to fall back upon if your brother shows up asking for the car. If he wants nothing to do with this lovely situation, instruct him to store the car somewhere else at your own expense.

Also, if you truly do not know where your car documentation is, or under whose power it is, perhaps you can report it lost (LOST, not stolen) to the DMV so they can issue new ones? Have them mailed to a safe address. IDK if the DMV has any way to identify old/outdated documentation from new one, but if they do then your brother would no longer be able to use that documentation to transfer ownership, even by forging your signature. If you can't do it by mail, maybe you can send a notarized Power of Attorney to a friend who can do it for you? You'd likely have to have the notarization of the POA Apostilled in Bahrain (who the gently caress even knows if Bahrain signed the Hague Convention, though) for the DMV to recognize it.

Edit: haha goddamn, Bahrain signed it 2 years ago.

Finally you always have the loving common sense option of calling your parents and telling them that their son is being a criminal piece of poo poo? It seems like the first thing you should do.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 3, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean maybe also consider that maybe there's a reason your brother and dad need to raise money and in your hierarchy of priorities assess where you place paper ownership of this car that you did not pay for.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alchenar posted:

I mean maybe also consider that maybe there's a reason your brother and dad need to raise money and in your hierarchy of priorities assess where you place paper ownership of this car that you did not pay for.

In what universe would this be the case and the brother would go through this entire exchange so far without mentioning it?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In what universe would this be the case and the brother would go through this entire exchange so far without mentioning it?

This one.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

EugeneJ posted:

In my experience (Nassau County) you just go to the court and there's about a billion people there pleading down their tickets. I've never used a lawyer for one of these and I've had quite a few tickets. You go and agree to plead guilty in exchange for a much lesser charger - usually no points but still a decent fine.

My NON legal advice just from my experience is to take the plea. I went to "trial" once for a traffic violation that I knew I didn't do (run a stop sign) and had happened like 3 years earlier. The cop didn't show up the first time so they rescheduled it. Then the second time, the cop didn't even remember me but they fed him information from the report to make it look like he did. Turns out they don't care if you did it or not, they just want money.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I hosed this one up. The only reason the title was in my name was because my dad did not want to be awkward about it.

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 3, 2018

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

My NON legal advice just from my experience is to take the plea. I went to "trial" once for a traffic violation that I knew I didn't do (run a stop sign) and had happened like 3 years earlier. The cop didn't show up the first time so they rescheduled it. Then the second time, the cop didn't even remember me but they fed him information from the report to make it look like he did. Turns out they don't care if you did it or not, they just want money.

Just general info here, but this is why cops write everything down immediately after the traffic stop. There is nothing wrong with not remembering, the problems arise in how the witnesses refreshes his memory.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm living in the UK, in a building with 4 flats and 2 occupants per flat. There is a management company and the directors are the owners of the flats. A question has come up with regards to storing bikes in the hall and one person has mentioned that fire exits must not be obstructed - I have struggled to find any definition of this, however. Does anyone know if one exists, or if there are any clear guidelines? Or would it be safe to say that provided the pathway to the door was clear to the width of the door, it is not obstructed?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Your local fire code will dictate how wide doorways and halls must be, that's probably a good place to start as far as guidelines.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Warning: long. I live in Georgia and we're currently waiting to hear back from a lawyer for a consultation.

On Sunday, we moved into a house we're renting. The landlord had let us move in early Saturday evening, but when we pointed out that the house was dirty (it doesn't look like the previous tenants cleaned at all), she flipped out, told us she didn't want to hear any "bitchiness" and took back the keys, so we couldn't move in until Sunday morning. She cleaned the areas we pointed out were dirty, but the rest of the house was still very dirty. But whatever, we move in and notice a few things that need fixing: the master bathroom smells very musky and the previous tenant had told us that she'd had black mold in there and had cleaned it up (no visible mold seen there though), there are some electrical outlets that don't work (in particular, we needed the one in the garage working as my boyfriend has an electric car), and a few doors that didn't shut properly. So we send her an email asking her to fix these things, and she emails back saying that these are our responsibilities since we signed the lease saying the house was in good condition, and she doesn't think this is going to work out and we need to move. If we don't move within ten days, she says our security deposit won't be refunded. I don't have the lease in front of me, but I know it said that we were only responsible for paying for things we broke/caused.

Here are the things we've done so far:

* Documented with pictures how dirty the place was (we're talking gunk in the refrigerator, the floor is coated with dust and grit, huge amounts of dog hair everywhere)
* Saved all emails we've had with her
* Called lawyers for consultations
* Currently trying to see if we can get a health inspector out to see if there is mold in the bathroom

Is there anything else we should do? Also, does she have any leg to stand on with not refunding our security deposit after ten days? I don't think that was in the lease.

As a note, we didn't do a formal walk-through when we signed the lease or moved in (THIS WAS A HUGE MISTAKE, I KNOW). We noted one issue (a different issue than the ones above) when we signed the lease, but otherwise, everything looked okay and at the time, she seemed like a sweet lady, so it didn't seem like a big deal. The house was dirty then, but the tenant was in the process of moving out, so we figured it'd be clean by the time we moved in. We also couldn't do the walkthrough when we moved in because she was pissed at us. With every other place I've rented, I've been able to note issues found after moving in that weren't discovered before and the owner/management fixed them, so not sure why it matters here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Anjow posted:

Or would it be safe to say that provided the pathway to the door was clear to the width of the door, it is not obstructed?
Probably not, or hallways would be the width of doors.

lambeth posted:

Warning: long.

Move the hell out, preferably within 10 days.

Then, regroup and decide whether you want to try to sue her for all the crap she's put you through.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

lambeth posted:

Warning: long. I live in Georgia and we're currently waiting to hear back from a lawyer for a consultation.

I am not a lawyer, but I didn't see this in your post. What is your goal here? Like if I told you that you could get exactly what you want, what exactly is that? Do you want to be able to leave and not owe her anything? Do you want to be able to stay and make her fix stuff? Do you just want to stick it to her for being a bitch? The situation is lovely, but you need to work out what your goals are and what you will settle for.

Non-legal, life advice; get out of there, this is only a glimpse of how insane she will get and you don't want to be there to see it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Legal advice: move, decide if you're going to sue later.

She's a crazy person.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Oh yes, we're moving out regardless. We've started looking, but moving in ten days is unrealistic. My main goal is to get our security deposit back, because there's no way her not refunding it past ten days is legal. I read through the lease again and there's nothing in there about the security deposit at all. It'd be nice to make her fix the mold issue and/or pay for our move, but I have no desire to go to court (boyfriend would be up for it though). The deposit was one month's rent, which is 1000+, so we want that back.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ok, so here's your practical legal advice. Let's say her keeping the money after ten days isn't "legal." How do you stop her from doing it? How do you get the money back? If you get a judgment, how do you collect on it?

Moving in ten days is fast and hard. But it's a hell of a lot better than spending years and thousands to litigate to get the money back. Of course, there's a chance she won't give you the security deposit back anyway because she's crazy. But you're in a better legal/equitable position if you complied with her crazy demand.

Also, take pictures of everything. Hopefully you took a bunch before you moved in. If not, always do this in the future. My phone is full of my current rental house - pictures and a narrated video walk through.

Remember, sometimes is easier to lose money to be done with crazy than to stand on what's legally right or the hope of litigation succeeding. But that's why you ask lawyers: we'll tell you the practical realities.

Except blarzgh - he just wants to give you traffic tickets.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

lambeth posted:

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/file...nt_handbook.pdf

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks for the advice, Hot Dog. I agree the main thing right now is to move out ASAP. Whether that will happen in ten days is another question. At least we haven't unpacked most of our boxes. :/ My boyfriend really wants to get her to address the mold and pay moving costs, but we'll wait on what the lawyer says.

Thanks, I actually read through that yesterday. I forgot to mention before, but she offered in lieu of leaving, she could reduce the rent payments by $300 for a few months, which I guess is a form of repair and deduct. Because apparently it's on the tenants to address mold and electrical issues. :rolleyes:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time you remember telling someone they were "wrong," and then telling them what they "had to do" ever worked?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

blarzgh posted:

When was the last time you remember telling someone they were "wrong," and then telling them what they "had to do" ever worked?

As attorneys this is literally our job, and people still don't do it. You shouldn't even try.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Haha, that didn't work too well on me as a child. Anyways, I just want to get away from her and her garbage house now. The other details can be worked out later.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

lambeth posted:

Haha, that didn't work too well on me as a child. Anyways, I just want to get away from her and her garbage house now. The other details can be worked out later.

For mental health purposes, that's the correct decision. I'm both a landlord and a tenant. I try to keep a great relationship with my renter and my landlord. If things were sour, I'd constantly be stressed.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

lambeth posted:

I've been in almost your situation. It sucks, but what I ended up doing was renting a storage unit and staying in an extended stay suite for a couple of weeks.

Cheaper than fighting to get the deposit back. Just get everything in writing.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Cross posting from the apartment thread:

So, my landlord has contacted my fiance and I and is thinking of putting the property up for sale. From the sounds of it, she wants to do it ASAP. We are getting married in September and are currently incredibly busy with wedding planning, etc, and also are obviously spending most of our money on wedding poo poo.

The only mention of putting the unit up for sale in our lease is this:

quote:

Entry for Showing Property: During the last 60 days of the term of this Lease or any extension thereof,

Landlord/Agent may put the premises on the market for sale or rent and may place a "For Rent" or "For Sale" sign on the premises.

Tenant agrees to cooperate with Landlord/Agent in showing the property. Tenant is advised that on occasion he or she may be

asked to exhibit the premises on less than twenty-four (24) hours notice.

Am I reading this right in thinking that if she puts the unit up for sale before the last 60 days (our lease began November 1) that constitutes a breach and we can then move out?

We really do not have the time/money to wait around for the unit to sell, especially as it gets closer and closer to our wedding. Thanks goons!!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Instead of chasing a breach of contract, have you considered just, y'know, talking to your landlord, something along the lines of, "Wow, we're getting married soon and everything's gonna be crazy, if you want to sell the place, will you just let us out of the contract now so we can deal with that in a timely fashion? k thx!" Since it sounds like just moving out now is acceptable to you.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Instead of chasing a breach of contract, have you considered just, y'know, talking to your landlord, something along the lines of, "Wow, we're getting married soon and everything's gonna be crazy, if you want to sell the place, will you just let us out of the contract now so we can deal with that in a timely fashion? k thx!" Since it sounds like just moving out now is acceptable to you.

Gee, gosh! It's almost like we have done exactly that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You say that like it can be assumed. You might be surprised.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

big business man fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 18, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

My landlady is generally nice, she has just been very non-responsive. We straight up asked her if she would allow us to just end the lease/if we could negotiate some sort of exit and she gave us a non-answer. She still hasn't 'fully decided' if she is going to put it up for sale or not I just wanted to weigh my options in case it came down to it. From her emails it sounds very much like they have all but decided to put it on the market.

I don't understand the point of the 60-day provision in the lease if it doesn't apply to this sort of scenario. It's a standard Montgomery County, MD lease, if it helps.

Outside of the 60 day window in MoCo, I think the purchaser should step into the shoes of an existing landlord - ie the lease transfers. The 60 day window provides your landlord with a way to terminate your lease to make their property more attractive for sale (because people often don't want to buy properties with existing tenants.)

Check with a landlord-tenant lawyer in MoCo though, this is all from memory from a friend who had something similar occur.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Every time I read this thread I'm glad I live in a country that has nation-wide laws for these sorts of things. I don't think I could deal with this per-state, per-county bullshit.

Edit: my country is poo poo in every other aspect please don't take this post as some sort of dick-waving thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Every time I read this thread I'm glad I live in a country that has nation-wide laws for these sorts of things. I don't think I could deal with this per-state, per-county bullshit.

Edit: my country is poo poo in every other aspect please don't take this post as some sort of dick-waving thing.

Well, we have a lot of states (cities even) that have larger size and populations that many countries.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement handles wage claims

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

Outside of the 60 day window in MoCo, I think the purchaser should step into the shoes of an existing landlord - ie the lease transfers.

Are you sure? I thought the purchaser - as a bona fide purchaser for value - would be able to repudiate any lease - as an encumbrance on the property - unless the lease was recorded with the applicable authority prior to the purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
also laches and the rule in shelley's case so long as RAP isn't violated