Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

In It For The Tank posted:

A sneaky fan already managed to surreptiously film the ending of the Tower of Joy fight during production. Ned and Arthur are the last men standing, they fight one-on-one, Ned starts to lose, and Arthur gets stabbed in the back by Howland.

Just like how Jaime beat Ned. It's like poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ague Proof posted:

-Jon is ruthless now, has a wardrobe change and gives the other members of the Watch the option to surrender or die. Burns some people and beheads others. Blocks are fetched. "gently caress the Watch." The Wildlings, Jon and Davos march south and Edd is the Lord Commander of the Watch, now made up of 5 people.

How would "surrender or die" be ruthless?

He already cut off that one guy's head, even though he was begging "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!" the whole time. "Surrender or die" wouldn't be remotely ruthless or a change of Jon's character. If he is ruthless, then it would just be "kill all the traitors" period. Ruthless would be him killing the young boy without so much as a word. Anything short of that is something Jon has already done and not really at all a change.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hemophilia posted:

I'm beginning to see an arc. Since his girlfriend died his actions have had the same ol' malice but the actor playing Ramsay is playing it very differently than the cheerful confident malignant sociopath we meet torturing Theon. He seems a lot less certain of himself these last two episodes. Doesn't seem like a guy who can ruin an army with twenty good men, seems more like he's way out of his comfort zone and beginning to feel like he's losing control, and to a great degree he is. The one person he appears to have cared about is dead, Sansa and Reek/Theon have fled and evaded capture, he just sort of impulse-murdered his father over anxiety about a legitimate heir being born.

It's kinda subtle and doesn't make up for the fact i'm entirely sick of him as a character. It's a bit late in the game to be playing the character for depth, D&D.

I felt that too. But I dont think it was an impulse murder, since the Karstark guy seemed to be aware that it was going to happen.

Either this or his total lack of reaction to the murder and immediate support for Ramsay makes no goddam sense

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonel_korn posted:

This will be after four seasons of him wantonly torturing, murdering and raping people with virtually no consequences -- is there any mystery as to why people are a little burnt out on the character? Heck I know several who were burnt out by the end of Season 3 where they kept checking back on him every other episode to confirm that yes, he was still torturing Theon and yes, it was still really awful.

I do think that they felt that they needed a New Joffrey given how popular Jack Gleeson was; the problem is that (IMHO anyways) what makes Joffrey compelling isn't that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo, it's that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo surrounded by people like Tyrion, Tywin and (to a lesser degree) Cersei, who are trying to keep him in check so that he doesn't do something incredibly destructive. It's the whole dynamic of whether they'll succeed or whether Joffrey will just snap and take all the power for himself that's interesting. Ramsey's "arc" on the show is entirely missing that, so it just comes off a continual stream of unpleasantness. It's basically the Craster's Keep sequence from S4 (complete with Jon heroically coming in to dispatch him at the end) except extended over four seasons instead of two episodes.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kajeesus posted:

Kneeling over the body and saying "please" was pretty much how Thoros did it the first time around. Beric was the one who gave the smooch of life, and he wasn't a priest of R'hllor.

Maybe he did in the show and I don't remember, but Thoros does the Last Kiss in the books. That's why Beric knows to do it.

e: iirc the last kiss is actually like a funeral ritual to cleanse the spirit, the rez wasn't expected

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

I felt that too. But I dont think it was an impulse murder, since the Karstark guy seemed to be aware that it was going to happen.

Either this or his total lack of reaction to the murder and immediate support for Ramsay makes no goddam sense

Internally he could've been thinking "play it cool or I'm next", but he did immediately shift into toady mode, so he might've known. To be honest I'm surprised he let the maester live.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like that the Dreadfort has the most jolly Maester we've ever seen.

( I know this takes place in Winterfell, but he mentions raising Ramsay so he's probably from the DF)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Internally he could've been thinking "play it cool or I'm next", but he did immediately shift into toady mode, so he might've known. To be honest I'm surprised he let the maester live.

Also, he was totally down with Ramsay's stupid psycho plan of attacking the NW, something both knew Roose would never agree to do.

I guess the guy really hates the Stark because of his father and wants to kill every single one, even the bastard. So he agreed to switch loyalty to Ramsay since he had a plan to do exactly that and is crazy enough to send an army to Castle Black.

It does makes more sense than he just deciding right there that he was ok with Ramsay murdering his liege and taking his place

EDIT> as for the maester, its easy to believe that he would be too afraid of Ramsay to ever say a word about that

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Benioff says in Inside the Episode that the Karstark was in on it, so they were trying to make that clear.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Someone on facebook had a total meltdown over game of thrones, I couldn't resist:

http://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/KGmjiW4Jf915Jk6WITp

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Majorian posted:

Dear everybody whining about Ramsay "getting away with whatever he wants" - you do realize he's not actually going to get away with this, right? He's not smart enough to keep the North together, and it's not going to take very long for his own (metaphorical and literal) hounds to turn on him and tear him to pieces.

See what's what make the Ramsay plot boring, even the dumbest show watcher can see from a mile away Ramsay is getting killed soon. If the show keep Roose alive we would have fun guessing who is killing whom in the next few episodes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

And Ramsey owned for a change. Killing Roose with the same wound that killed off Robb Stark is a nice touch from the writers too.

lmao

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, he was totally down with Ramsay's stupid psycho plan of attacking the NW, something both knew Roose would never agree to do.

I guess the guy really hates the Stark because of his father and wants to kill every single one, even the bastard. So he agreed to switch loyalty to Ramsay since he had a plan to do exactly that and is crazy enough to send an army to Castle Black.

It does makes more sense than he just deciding right there that he was ok with Ramsay murdering his liege and taking his place

EDIT> as for the maester, its easy to believe that he would be too afraid of Ramsay to ever say a word about that

I think it's not the maester's place to intervene. He's supposed to be Switzerland in any given household unless instructed otherwise.

RE: Karkstark
Keeping quiet gives him a lot of leverage. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on at the time but it's logical when I think about it. With Roose alive, the Karkstarks are just another house in the North and the Boltons have all the advantages but now they have a much closer relationship with their new liege.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 2, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Man: Could you raise this fellow from the dead?
Lady: No, and my religion is fake
Man: Come on, just do it
Lady: Okay

They need to stop making this show until Georgio finishes some books. These writers are awful

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think you could tell Karstark was in on it because he said the North needed new blood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tadashi posted:

I think it's not the maester's place to intervene. He's supposed to be Switzerland in any given household unless instructed otherwise.

In theory, this is what the Maesters would say and would have you believe.

In practice, its very clear the Maesters have a plan of their own and are influencing the politics of Westeros to their own ends.

And we've seen one Maester go rogue already and try to assassinate somebody (the dragonstone maester under Stannis tried to kill Melisandre, at the cost of his own life)

Dude could totally be pretending to go along with Ramsay while he sends a raven off to the other Maesters though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

This will be after four seasons of him wantonly torturing, murdering and raping people with virtually no consequences -- is there any mystery as to why people are a little burnt out on the character? Heck I know several who were burnt out by the end of Season 3 where they kept checking back on him every other episode to confirm that yes, he was still torturing Theon and yes, it was still really awful.

I do think that they felt that they needed a New Joffrey given how popular Jack Gleeson was; the problem is that (IMHO anyways) what makes Joffrey compelling isn't that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo, it's that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo surrounded by people like Tyrion, Tywin and (to a lesser degree) Cersei, who are trying to keep him in check so that he doesn't do something incredibly destructive. It's the whole dynamic of whether they'll succeed or whether Joffrey will just snap and take all the power for himself that's interesting. Ramsey's "arc" on the show is entirely missing that, so it just comes off a continual stream of unpleasantness. It's basically the Craster's Keep sequence from S4 (complete with Jon heroically coming in to dispatch him at the end) except extended over four seasons instead of two episodes.
Its not that Joffrey could at any point take power for himself, because the show does a pretty good job of establishing that Joffrey's hold on the throne is entirely dependent on Tywin. He knows it too, and they've tapped into the tension on that in certain scenes in the past. No, the difference is that Joffrey is given lots of weaknesses to deal with. Hes childish, ineffectual, impulsive, easily manipulated and completely clueless about the world that hes living in, and it helps that Gleeson nails that character perfectly and is charismatic as hell. Basically, hes written and portrayed well enough that he actually comes across as human. A psychopathic one, but theres depth there.

Ramsey on the other hand is just a psychopath who exceeds at everything he does. Turns out hes a decent commander, a good fighter and hes pretty good at talking when he needs to. None of the things hes acheived came at a particularly difficult cost and the only tension that exists in him relates to being Roose's choice of heir, and thats never communicated in any meaningful way in the show (or the book) so you're left with just character who is just like a checklist of depraved evil.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Also, while Joffrey did technically 'win' for 3 seasons we also got a bunch of small victories like getting slapped by Tyrion, literal poo poo thrown at his face, and being shown who's the boss (more than once).

god the early seasons were so good

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So the entire story of Lord Bolton is that he... gets stabbed to death out of nowhere and nobody does anything. And the story of Dorne is that their lord gets slashed with a knife and nobody does anything to help. Jon snow gets stabbed with no one to help, but returns. Possibly to get stabbed again later.

If Tyrion dies from being stabbed after walking past some dragons and surviving I'm gonna be a bit mad.

Also, shouldn't Melisandre get seriously hurt from doing the whole revival thing like that other dude did, or did they forget?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

evilmiera posted:

Also, shouldn't Melisandre get seriously hurt from doing the whole revival thing like that other dude did, or did they forget?

Thoros got hurt by bringing Beric back?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

evilmiera posted:

We already discussed this (or maybe it was the other thread, gently caress if I know) but I'm pretty sure it was Barric who lost part of himself from ressurection, not Thoros.

Somebody else thought the same thing you did though so maybe I'm wrong or maybe he said something that was confusing.

And also Lady Stoneheart clearly wasn't the same person post-resurrection as she was before, so I think its the resurrect-ee not the resurrect-er.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

evilmiera posted:

So the entire story of Lord Bolton is that he... gets stabbed to death out of nowhere and nobody does anything. And the story of Dorne is that their lord gets slashed with a knife and nobody does anything to help. Jon snow gets stabbed with no one to help, but returns. Possibly to get stabbed again later.

If Tyrion dies from being stabbed after walking past some dragons and surviving I'm gonna be a bit mad.

Thoros doesn't get hurt doing it, but he does look overall more gaunt. He was originally a husky man and now he's skinny, but that certainly could be a result of his living situation. Beric Dondarrion gives up the spirit when he gives Catelyn the kiss though.

The guards at the water garden were poorly explained, but they were in on it. The point of that scene being that Doran can talk all he wants but he's not giving the people what they want, so they'll support someone who does. Ramsay was apparently the same situation.

Really it just undermines Jaqen's whole "nah it would be impossible to ever get close to Tywin" bit.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 2, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

We already discussed this (or maybe it was the other thread, gently caress if I know) but I'm pretty sure it was Barric who lost part of himself from ressurection, not Thoros.

Somebody else thought the same thing you did though so maybe I'm wrong or maybe he said something that was confusing.

And also Lady Stoneheart clearly wasn't the same person post-resurrection as she was before, so I think its the resurrect-ee not the resurrect-er.

I could swear the person who did it also got hurt somehow, or at least like the other poster mentioned "lost life energy" or whatever.

^^^Edit And yeah, I get they were in on it, but it just seems sort of a weak scene when it keeps getting repeated.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its a lot more stupid in the case of Dorne since nobody would have any reason to support a coup perpetrated by a bunch of crazy bastard girls and a woman that is nothing but the former mistress of the brother of the lord. None of then had any claim to speak of (specially since the coup also involved killing the prince just because)

Ramsay at least is the rightful heir to Roose and the Karstark at least had a believable reason to support him

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 2, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zaphod42 posted:

Oberyn vs Martell was shot in ... well not sure.
I think the King's Landing stuff is shot in Croatia - specifically, Dubrovnik.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Local Wizard finds one weird weight-loss trick THEY don't want you to know about. Others hate him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Thoros doesn't get hurt doing it, but he does look overall more gaunt. He was originally a husky man and now he's skinny, but that certainly could be a result of his living situation. Beric Dondarrion gives up the spirit when he gives Catelyn the kiss though.

evilmiera posted:

I could swear the person who did it also got hurt somehow, or at least like the other poster mentioned "lost life energy" or whatever.

^^^Edit And yeah, I get they were in on it, but it just seems sort of a weak scene when it keeps getting repeated.

Thing is Thoros is in the middle of some kinda crazy transformation overall. When you look through the books, Thoros is almost like, 3 entirely different people throughout his life. The way other people describe him depending upon when you're talking can be dramatically different. Back in the Mad King's day he was a pretty devout priest who tried to turn him, and failed. Then Robert took over and he became a drunk who shared merryment with Robert, and kinda let himself go. He used to be a pretty good fighter and then he becomes like a fat oaf, and then later joins the brotherhood without banners...

There's something weird going on with him, and its not just the resurrection. Thoros has been around, and he's seen a lot, and been involved in a lot, and it keeps changing him.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its a lot more stupid in the case of Dorne since nobody would have any reason to support a coup perpetrated by a bunch of crazy bastard girls and a woman that is nothing but the former mistress of the brother of the lord. None of then had any claim to speak of (specially since the coup also involved killing the prince just because)

Ramsay at least is the rightful heir to Roose and the Karstark at least had a believable reason to support him

One idea I had is, Karstark is still alive, right? He wasn't at the red wedding? What if Ramsay promised to his son that he'd help him off old man Karstark after they finished Roose?

"we need new blood in the north" he says. Could refer to killing off the old generation entirely. Its a guess but it would kinda fit?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

One idea I had is, Karstark is still alive, right? He wasn't at the red wedding? What if Ramsay promised to his son that he'd help him off old man Karstark after they finished Roose?

"we need new blood in the north" he says. Could refer to killing off the old generation entirely. Its a guess but it would kinda fit?

Wanst the Karstark father killed by Robb? I figured the guy is supporting Ramsay just because he really wants to kill every Stark and Ramsay is willing to attack the NW to kill Jon and get Sansa back

EDIT: vvvvv a "liberal atitude" doenst means that bastard daughters get any kind of claim, and Ellaria is not even part of the family. Also, why would anybody want to kill Trystane, the rightful heir?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 2, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

With Doran's death I'm pretty sure the Martell line is ended on the show aside from the Sand Snakes, and we've had it explicitly told to us multiple times, at least going back to Oberyn, that Dorne has a much more liberal attitude toward both bastards and women.

I'm not saying the show Dorne plot isn't dumb - in the books Ellaria's role in that coup is going to be played by his legitimate daughter - but there's at least a hazy logic to it.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's something weird going on with him, and its not just the resurrection. Thoros has been around, and he's seen a lot, and been involved in a lot, and it keeps changing him.

I think the weird thing here is that Thoros is a real person and three-dimensional character, something we need more of on the Ramsay and Sand Snake show. He was a devout priest, the Mad King's cruelty and his failure to convert anybody made him lose faith and turned him into a party animal and brawler, and he was changed again by witnessing something genuinely miraculous (Beric's revival).

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Wanst the Karstark father killed by Robb? I figured the guy is supporting Ramsay just because he really wants to kill every Stark and Ramsay is willing to attack the NW to kill Jon and get Sansa back

Okay yeah I'm getting my northern banners mixed up. Karstark is definitely dead, he is the guy who he beheaded. Its Lord Umber who is still alive.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The old Lord Karstark is dead, Robb executed him for killing the Lannister kids. His son would now be the new lord.

And he's referring to killing off all the Starks, but it's also a dig at Roose since he was apparently in on the plot to kill him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you go back and watch the scene where Thoros revives Berric after his fight with the Hound, he legit just prays over his body in the show version, and suddenly Berric is healed.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Max posted:

If you go back and watch the scene where Thoros revives Berric after his fight with the Hound, he legit just prays over his body in the show version, and suddenly Berric is healed.

Yeah it's that one specific prayer that he even tells Mel. I was wondering if it was something funny like Mel speaking the wrong language, lol.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I'm sure the Karstark in the room was Lord Karstark, but in the books, there's a whole subplot of Karstark scheming to get one of them killed so someone else can be lord. Maybe that comes up or maybe they're just "ehh turns out the Northern lords are shitheads too"

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
In the books, the uncle backs Stannis because the actual heir to Karhold is held captive by the Lannisters, and he wants the guy executed. He plans on marrying the daughter (who is next in line) to his son so that he becomes the new Lord, since at that point he's only the castellan.

He also plans on betraying Stannis and tries to convince him to attack the Dreadfort until Jon convinces him not too, then plans on switching sides later so Stannis gets caught between two opposing armies when the Boltons/Freys arrive.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 2, 2016

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man: Could you raise this fellow from the dead?
Lady: No, and my religion is fake
Man: Come on, just do it
Lady: Okay

that's not actually the dialogue from that scene, i think you may have made that up

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is it an overexaggeration to ask if this is the worst show on TV? Because of the shows I watch, it's making season 3 of The 100 look very good by comparison.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm confused. Shouldn't Euron be played by the guy who plays Daario?
Oh no, that's a DIFFERENT bearded 30 something white guy with the same inexplicable danish accent. (seriously what)

In It For The Tank posted:

Why is Davos so loving in love with Jon all of a sudden? They talked maybe twice. Why not ask her to revive Stannis the guy he served for almost two decades?
Still honestly trying to get my head around this. Why is Davos arsed at all? What is he hoping to do when Jon is back?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It would be funny if Theon shows up to the Iron Islands in the next episode with no explanation as to how he got there.
Even in season 2 he just stepped onto the docks, right? I'd be amazed if this DOESN'T happen.

drunken officeparty posted:

Medieval Feudal Society confuses me. Like how do these families "own" people. Would my local school principal be calling me and my dad to go fight for him or something.
I didn't see anyone answer this (and maybe it was a jokepost that flew over my head) but it's basically like being in a dictatorship. You don't say a bad thing about Kim Jong Un in North Korea. You do what you're told. And the guy 300 ranks below the supreme leader can still have you imprisoned/tortured/killed if you don't do what HE says.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Is the witch speaking Norwegian or does it just sound that way? :black101:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Is it an overexaggeration to ask if this is the worst show on TV? Because of the shows I watch, it's making season 3 of The 100 look very good by comparison.
Oh no, that's a DIFFERENT bearded 30 something white guy with the same inexplicable danish accent. (seriously what)
Still honestly trying to get my head around this. Why is Davos arsed at all? What is he hoping to do when Jon is back?
Even in season 2 he just stepped onto the docks, right? I'd be amazed if this DOESN'T happen.
I didn't see anyone answer this (and maybe it was a jokepost that flew over my head) but it's basically like being in a dictatorship. You don't say a bad thing about Kim Jong Un in North Korea. You do what you're told. And the guy 300 ranks below the supreme leader can still have you imprisoned/tortured/killed if you don't do what HE says.

your first statement was pretty dumb but then you just kept following it up with even dumber poo poo, impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Thoros got hurt by bringing Beric back?

The implication from the books is that if you have had a life extended by magic (like Beric or Melisandre) and try to impart that to someone else, you have to sacrifice your own life.

I mean, its a sample size of one with Beric, but I naturally assumed Melisandre would have to sacrifice herself, or at least her magical appearance or something.

• Locked thread