Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gundyr has a twin, both of them guard their own firelink. Nobody but the old handmaiden's twin sister liked Champion so everyone else left to go hand out with Iundex. The poor blacksmith just forgot his hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One thing that interests me also lore-wise is that the final boss suggests dozens if not hundreds of people have linked the fire before, but only these five lords of cinder are needed to restart the fire.

I wonder what it is specifically about these five that makes them special

I've wondered about that, too--why these five in particular? What is it about Ludleth, Aldrich, the Abyss Watchers, Yhorm, and Lothric that makes them the ones you need to get? Are they just the ones on hand? Has this happened before and all there rest are already cinders?

Ice Fist posted:

Gundyr has a twin, both of them guard their own firelink. Nobody but the old handmaiden's twin sister liked Champion so everyone else left to go hand out with Iundex. The poor blacksmith just forgot his hammer.

When it comes to Champion Gundyr, he's definitely the same dude as Iudex Gundyr. To quote his armor set: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more."

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Where do i find patches if i met him once in the firelink tower and then never again, and lost track of siegward after the fire demon fight?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Domattee posted:

I don't think they're special at all, it simply takes a lot of soul power to do the linking and those guys have the most when you come around. A lot of the fluff around that is ritualistic and not fundamental to the linking of the fire, which is why it changes every cycle.

I thought that too at first but if that was the case why are there giant personalized thrones with the Lord's names carved into them already there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One thing that interests me also lore-wise is that the final boss suggests dozens if not hundreds of people have linked the fire before, but only these five lords of cinder are needed to restart the fire.

I wonder what it is specifically about these five that makes them special

They're all the one associated with the lord's souls from DS1, kinda like how they also manifested in DS2.

Aldtrich got Nito's somewhere.
Yhorm got the Witch of Izalith's soul
Abyss Watchers got the shard Gwyn gave to the Four Kings
Ocieros/Twin Princes have been influenced by Seath.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

How do I dodge the king of storms AOE flame breath .. it always kills me

If you don't run the hell away as soon as the dragon jumps straight up, then you're pretty much dead. You can't block it and you can't tank it either. Try not to lock on to him too much during the first phase, it often results losing track of him and getting roasted by that attack.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

net cafe scandal posted:

How do I dodge the king of storms AOE flame breath .. it always kills me

which one, the ground or air

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The way that everything seems to be cyclical could mean that untended graves is firelink in both the past and the future. Maybe after you link/dont' link/steal/whatever the fire, everything goes back to dark and everyone moves out except granny, and then we reset to zero, the bell rings, everyone gets up and plays out the same roles over again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Parry fishing in PvP is pretty awful with the hornet ring. You can spend 5 minutes pounding on some guy while he missed dozens of parries, then he finally lands one through sheer luck and takes you from 100 to zero :geno:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spanish Manlove posted:

They're all the one associated with the lord's souls from DS1, kinda like how they also manifested in DS2.

Aldtrich got Nito's somewhere.
Yhorm got the Witch of Izalith's soul
Abyss Watchers got the shard Gwyn gave to the Four Kings
Ocieros/Twin Princes have been influenced by Seath.

Yeah but there are five lords not four

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

AH I see. Yeah I've used it on like Lothric Knights and just wreck them with the dodge behind em, but then they just laugh at my attempts to out style them and just crush my face. I have better luck with boring estoc and boring shield than with the cool as hell ninja great sword and it makes me sad.

Try doing heavy into L1/Left bumber, the flip slam does enough poise to keep them back.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ludleth is related to Manus because something something undead humanity dark soul

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

which one, the ground or air

When he's in the air. Even if I pick a direction and sprint as soon as I recognize the tell, I still get insta killed if I'm not at full health.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In the first game you were the fifth lord, having inherited the soul of the furtive pigmy with your humanity.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

When he's in the air. Even if I pick a direction and sprint as soon as I recognize the tell, I still get insta killed if I'm not at full health.

yeah just loving run

or pump up vig, 27 was enough to withstand just about every attack once

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Parry fishing in PvP is pretty awful with the hornet ring. You can spend 5 minutes pounding on some guy while he missed dozens of parries, then he finally lands one through sheer luck and takes you from 100 to zero :geno:

yeah this is the most frustrating thing to me right now in pvp, you can put in a lot of work and the connection goes haywire for a split second and now you're deep-throating an estoc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it could be that the Champion Gundyr you fight in Untended Graves is an alternate version of Iudex Gundyr and not literally the same one, you're just mirroring what happened to Iudex Gundyr. It's all fascinating stuff though.

There's no real ambiguity here, it's time travel, or at least time travel plus something else. The Shrine Handmaid in your Firelink has special dialogue if you never speak to her prior to meeting her double in the Untended Graves; she recognizes you and is about to say something and then stops herself.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Harrow posted:

I've wondered about that, too--why these five in particular? What is it about Ludleth, Aldrich, the Abyss Watchers, Yhorm, and Lothric that makes them the ones you need to get? Are they just the ones on hand? Has this happened before and all there rest are already cinders?

When it comes to Champion Gundyr, he's definitely the same dude as Iudex Gundyr. To quote his armor set: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more."

it has to be the four you kill because they're the most powerful lords who still exist by the time the fire is almost gone again. think of it like the lord souls from DS1 - they're the only things with enough soul juice to tear open a portal to the kiln so you can try to do what needs to be done.

to me the stranger thing is why ludleth is just as important as the other four. he straight up tells you that he became a lord through will alone, which is actually drat impressive, but it never gets more exposition than that. I think it'd be cool if something in the DLC explains why this no-legged midget also has a soul so powerful that he can just decide "welp the end of time in the untended graves is some bullshit I'm going to be a lord instead and warp this whole place back to the future so someone else can re-try fixing everything". ludleth is manus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

If you do get hit, start mashing roll while you're on the ground. You can roll out of the rest of it and only take the first hit. It sucks, but it's survivable, and if you're poo poo at avoiding it to begin with like I was, that can help.

You basically have to sprint in the direction the dragon is facing the moment you hear him do the roar or get ready to dodge at least one tick of the fire.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's no real ambiguity here, it's time travel, or at least time travel plus something else. The Shrine Handmaid in your Firelink has special dialogue if you never speak to her prior to meeting her double in the Untended Graves; she recognizes you and is about to say something and then stops herself.

Yeah, I know. Gundyr's armor set's description doesn't really leave room for interpretation there, either. I was just filling in the somewhat popular "your Firelink is a fake made by Ludleth" theory, which I don't personally agree with.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

With this game it really feels like they already knew early in development what the DLCs were going to be. There's so much stuff that isn't explained that I can only assume that those will appear in the DLCs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

net cafe scandal posted:

Stand by and attack his head/neck, not his legs. You do like five times as much, and you can actually see what he's doing. The fly up fire breath is very obvious and avoidable when you're not underneath him- he roars and goes straight up. You have more than enough time to roll backwards four or five times and be safe.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kikkelivelho posted:

With this game it really feels like they already knew early in development what the DLCs were going to be. There's so much stuff that isn't explained that I can only assume that those will appear in the DLCs.

lmao

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

uhhh yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

Y'see, you say that, but there was just as much unexplained in DS1 and the DLC answered like two questions and then raised a bunch more and that was it.

DS3 answers more lingering DS1 questions than its DLC did, for sure.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ty all. I've gotten a little better at recognizing the tell and hauling rear end.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are we going to talk about how Ludleth drops a skull ring because I feel that might be important

like look at this description

quote:

One of Courland's transposed wonders. Derived from the soul of a Soulfeeder.

Easier to be detected by enemies.

The Soulfeeder was a beast that insatiably absorbed souls to feed its own power. Even after its accursed corpse was burned, it is said that the pungent stench of souls left the air permanently stained."

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
I think Untended Graves (the whole world) is the present/future and the Firelink Shrine is the past/illusion.

We find items from people that are in Firelink, Yoel's ashes, blacksmith hammer, and the broken sword where we placed it. The silver serpent ring doesn't really matter since the only way to get there in dark Firelink is rolling off the tree which was I imaging unintended so they didn't plan around that.

Iudex was likely not impaled by us, but the guy dragging us to our grave in the opening cinematic who uses a coiled sword. Who then judges us to be worthy of linking the flame.

Though with the discovery of the handmaidens lines this is harder for me to say, but she's weird as hell anyway and I sure as hell don't trust anything Ludeth says.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Isn't eating souls to feed your own power something every undead does?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Ty all. I've gotten a little better at recognizing the tell and hauling rear end.

red bug pellet too i guess

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Internet Kraken posted:

On a related note, what are peoples' opinions on the different parry types? Ignoring medium shields which feel pretty slow this time we have the Caestus (shortest animation, fast windup, low number of parry frames - feels quite difficult to get the timing down), the Parrying Dagger (feels like it might have the most parry frames but also a long windup), the parrying shields, and the small shields. I really can't feel much of a difference between the last two except that the parry shields have a longer animation and presumably more parry frames but the startup on both feels quick and responsive. Having a bit more stability and damage reduction is really nice for when you get partial parries.

I'm trying to decide which of my offhands to +10 and hollow for the extra +1 luck compared to a lower level one and I really don't want to waste a slab.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

h

Tetracube posted:

Are we going to talk about how Ludleth drops a skull ring because I feel that might be important

like look at this description

he's a small guy that wants attention of course he'd make a ring like that.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
FROM please bring back ratbro covenant. I just can't get my jollies (or any kills) in 'fair' 'fights'

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The crows aren't there in U.G. either. At least it seems that way, you can't quite get up to the roof where the nest is, but you can go stand under it on the rafters (where you can normally still trade with them) if you jump off the tree to get to the lower roof area, and the pile of feathers is missing. Also the hole in the roof where their nest is isn't there, and instead it's just a flat covering. Not sure how viable it is to read anything into an area you're probably not supposed to be able to get to, but it's interesting that they put in the effort to change the map, even slightly, just to remove something you shouldn't see. Need one of those noclipping hackers to explore U.G. and see how much of the rest of the world is duplicated in it. In some spots you can get right on the edge of a cliff and look down to see a circle of light reflecting off of something. Water? Abyss goop? Who knows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ludleth is the loving man, he's a tiny cripple to basically willed himself into being one of the most important dudes in history

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Does anyone call ludleth little Lord? It feels so right.

Little Lord Ludleth.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ixjuvin posted:

FROM please bring back ratbro covenant. I just can't get my jollies (or any kills) in 'fair' 'fights'

Join the wolf covenant and learn to love your new best friend, giant crab(s).

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When Ludleth says he became a lord through will alone I thought he meant that he was just a normal undead who was fine with dying shitloads of times to link the fire like us.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finally finished Aldritch so I could respec without loving up sirris' questline.

Oh, you think this is regular Solaire?

Nope. This is DARK SOLAIRE (you can tell he's evil because of the goatee)

First invasion and he ran in a circle for 5 minutes trying to summon phantoms over and over before he blocked at the wrong time and I got a riposte on him :darksouls:

There's some other stuff you get after you kill the Twin Princes from her actually :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Where do i find patches if i met him once in the firelink tower and then never again, and lost track of siegward after the fire demon fight?

He's upstairs, near the exit toward the tower. Just keep going instead of exiting firelink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought that too at first but if that was the case why are there giant personalized thrones with the Lord's names carved into them already there?

Because the society was dying and set up these thrones for the most powerful people around. They've been top boss for a while now. I imagine the Fire Keeper, or maybe the handmaiden as an analog to the old crones from DS2, has some innate knowledge about just how much soul power is needed and helped build the Shrine and pick the sacrifices. I suspect that by the time civilization recovers from the temporary fading of the fires the new bosses are effectively already locked in stone. I'm not sure Ludleth is strictly necessary and isn't just getting sacrificed because people don't really know what is happening and what it all means. Courland might have felt that it had to contribute to the linking and sent over some important dude who had volunteered.

Or Ludleth might be the architect of the shrine, an Aldia equivalent who researched the linking and has some understanding of what to do and what it means beyond pure ritual. His dialog pretty much confirms that he has witnessed or been around previous linkings, and putting himself in might just be an ego trip, a grand exit for the lowly cripple from the country nobody really cares about.