Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

LethalGeek posted:

Oh noes someone said they don't like game rabble rabble rabble

Honestly, the past page or so seems like it's just people who like the game getting pissy with people who don't and people who don't like the game getting pissy with the people who like the game.

Do what you like! Unsub if you feel like you've run out of things to do, and don't take it personally when other people feel differently. Personally I've been playing the game maybe three nights a week between other games and it suits me fine to keep my sub going. Heck, I haven't even done Midas yet simply because I haven't gotten around to it. I imagine if I played this game nightly, I'd probably be unsubbing between patches as well at a point as well. Nothing wrong with that approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Thunderbro is wrong in a lot of ways but his overarching point is right and the levelling experience in ff14 is going to feel miserable to anyone who has played mmo's before. It is not particularly surprising that the majority of subscribers were people who had not played one before.

I do find complaints about there not being enough content at endgame to be the biggest god drat joke though. There is a metric ton of content in this game. If you don't want to engage with all of it, that's fine but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

I dunno, I've played WoW since it came out and I've tried a bunch of other MMOs, and I found the leveling in FFXIV thoroughly enjoyable. MSQ is fun, and the dungeons are all pretty decent.
Maybe it's because I came straight off WoW, because that game has the worst leveling of all time, especially with regards to the old dungeons.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Failboattootoot posted:

Thunderbro is wrong in a lot of ways but his overarching point is right and the levelling experience in ff14 is going to feel miserable to anyone who has played mmo's before. It is not particularly surprising that the majority of subscribers were people who had not played one before.

I think the only reason I stuck with this game past the simple as hell start was because it was the first mmo I played with a controller and that on its own was novel enough to make it different from wow. If you play this game with a kb + m I don't know why you'd bother since I imagine it would just play identically to wow but slower.

Failboattootoot posted:

I do find complaints about there not being enough content at endgame to be the biggest god drat joke though. There is a metric ton of content in this game. If you don't want to engage with all of it, that's fine but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Can I complain about content existing but being pretty much unplayable with controller?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
EDIT: ^^^Beat me to it.

Failboattootoot posted:

the levelling experience in ff14 is going to feel miserable to anyone who has played mmo's

I mean... :staredog:

I'm level capped in WoD.

But it's the controller support of FFXIV that is actually kind of breaking every other MMO for me. Ridiculous isn't it? Sure TERA supports controllers and you can actually get a controller working on really ANY MMO if you're really set on it .. but FFXI and FFXIV seem like they were built from the bottom up for controller support. So until another MMO really gets a controller right, this will be my bear rear end collect-a-thon of choice.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Can I complain about content existing but being pretty much unplayable with controller?

Some of the world first statics have controller users in their groups so it seems like controllers work fine for all content to me

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Niton posted:

It's almost like intentionally skipping dialogue makes the rest of the experience less enjoyable.

When I read it it was an even worse experience. So I stopped. The dialogue in this game is ridiculously stilted and artificial, real people don't talk or act like the characters in this game.

Failboattootoot posted:

What am I wrong about?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And I feel it's disingenous to imply that FFXIV somehow doesn't. There is a large amount of crafted i115 gear available to bootstrap people into speeding past content. TPT keeps a stock of level 50 i115 crafted weapons in the FC chest for fresh 50s to grab as soon as they ding, and it's not unreasonable to ask a crafter if they can whip up a set.

How does better gear help me speed up the story or cross the vast expanses of dull wasteland in between lines of dialogue?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Honestly that's the biggest indictment of this game's design and how poorly SE thought things out. Half the players are putrid garbage because they're playing on a controller. And this game expects you to cram 40 abilities into 14 total buttons. The ability bloat in this game is more intense than WoW and that's especially stupid considering the platform it was designed to accommodate.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Thunderbro posted:

Honestly that's the biggest indictment of this game's design and how poorly SE thought things out. Half the players are putrid garbage because they're playing on a controller. And this game expects you to cram 40 abilities into 14 total buttons. The ability bloat in this game is more intense than WoW and that's especially stupid considering the platform it was designed to accommodate.

32 buttons if you turn on advanced controls, which is easily enough for every class at 60

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NT Plus posted:

So until another MMO really gets a controller right, this will be my bear rear end collect-a-thon of choice.

Hamsterlady posted:

Some of the world first statics have controller users in their groups so it seems like controllers work fine for all content to me

Thunderbro posted:

:vince:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I think it's pretty cool that Ozma is the final boss of Mhachi Village. I'm looking forward to seeing what all of the equipment from the raid will look like.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm talking about stuff like verminion you loving

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the amount of work you have to do to make a controller work for you in endgame compared to a kb+m is ridiculous tho

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ilifinicus posted:

the amount of work you have to do to make a controller work for you in endgame compared to a kb+m is ridiculous tho

it's... really not. you turn on expanded hold controls and you drag them to the hotbar you want to use them for.

that's literally it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ilifinicus posted:

Yet it's worth it. Trying to play with a kb+m would kill my hands and wrist while it's incredibly comfortable with a controller.
Also the amount of work I had to put in was advanced controls and maybe a couple macros to switch my hotbars when I stance dance.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm talking about stuff like verminion you loving

People still play that?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

There's a lot of content in this game, but don't try to use that in YOUR points

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The Grimace posted:

it's... really not. you turn on expanded hold controls and you drag them to the hotbar you want to use them for.

that's literally it.
I'm talking about poo poo like locking on to targets to not lose your autos and switch that off and on for every target you're hitting

there's so many extra buttons presses for basic poo poo

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it then. :shrug:

It's almost a user friendlier FFXI. That said, I have M+KB on standby if I need em for whatever reason.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ArtIsResistance posted:

There's a lot of content in this game, but don't try to use that in YOUR points

I haven't been arguing about how much content is in this game, I just think the controller works pretty well for all the content that wasn't dead on arrival like verminion

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

32 buttons if you turn on advanced controls, which is easily enough for every class at 60

You're right, if I got my Warrior to level 60 it only has 32 abilities disregarding absolutely anything else. Fits cleanly into 4 face buttons, 4 d-pad buttons, and 4 triggers. 8 separate variations of "weak damage mitigation/healing on 90s cooldown" are entirely necessary. I mean I have more than 3 full hotbars of crap on KB+M I guess that translates fine to a controller.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 2, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I don't do savage raids, but I've managed to do everything up to that point, including EX primals, with a controller and do pretty well, and I play scholar :shrug: The only thing I hate doing with a controller is Verminion, and the only macro I bother with is one to switch abilities around when I switch stances on WAR.

And danger bongos, but danger bongos is essential

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

And danger bongos, but danger bongos is essential

I resent vark having basically zero mechanics that require danger bongos :<

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As an MMO-text-reader, I have no problem in principle with folks wanting to skip past old content to get right into new stuff. I think yoship even dropped hints that they are going that route in 4.0. After all if somebody got the game because they decided that dark knight looks kickass or they want to rough up goblins inside a giant robot, it's kind of lovely to tell them they have to do all this other stuff first just because I did.

On the other hand there are already a ton of people at level 60 who played though all of that and still have no idea how to play their class, and I expect that letting people skip a few hundred hours won't help that situation.

ilifinicus posted:

I'm talking about poo poo like locking on to targets to not lose your autos and switch that off and on for every target you're hitting

there's so many extra buttons presses for basic poo poo

Literally pressing in on the left stick to lock/unlock target. I do it so much I don't even notice it any more. :shrug:

Learning to play an MMO is with a controller is *weird* at first, especially if you are already high level and have to memorize 60 levels of skills mapped to the hotbars instead of one at a time when you are starting at level 1. Once you get the hang of it and develop the muscle memory it becomes kind of magical though. I'd seriously have a hard time picking up a kbd+m MMO again at this point and I've been playing the drat things since EQ1's release day.

If anything, my main limiting factor is the ps4's framerate vs what a high end PC could put out, not the input method.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did a guildhest last night and had a MCH named Teen Jailbait.

I comm'd them because they were actually pretty good at the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

i am tim! posted:

Honestly, the past page or so seems like it's just people who like the game getting pissy with people who don't and people who don't like the game getting pissy with the people who like the game.

I think the biggest cause is the latter are douchebags.

People who dislike the game post about it all the time, they just usually aren't trying to win the argument.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 2, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Jesus christ lol

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Thundarr posted:

As an MMO-text-reader, I have no problem in principle with folks wanting to skip past old content to get right into new stuff. I think yoship even dropped hints that they are going that route in 4.0. After all if somebody got the game because they decided that dark knight looks kickass or they want to rough up goblins inside a giant robot, it's kind of lovely to tell them they have to do all this other stuff first just because I did.

On the other hand there are already a ton of people at level 60 who played though all of that and still have no idea how to play their class, and I expect that letting people skip a few hundred hours won't help that situation.

Literally pressing in on the left stick to lock/unlock target. I do it so much I don't even notice it any more. :shrug:

Learning to play an MMO is with a controller is *weird* at first, especially if you are already high level and have to memorize 60 levels of skills mapped to the hotbars instead of one at a time when you are starting at level 1. Once you get the hang of it and develop the muscle memory it becomes kind of magical though. I'd seriously have a hard time picking up a kbd+m MMO again at this point and I've been playing the drat things since EQ1's release day.

If anything, my main limiting factor is the ps4's framerate vs what a high end PC could put out, not the input method.

One of the things I did like surprisingly much is the 2.5s GCD. Playing a monk tank in WoW drat near gave me carpal tunnel. The thing is, though, that you can pick all the button talents possible (it's rarely optimal to do so) in WoW and only end up with ~30 things you would ever press in combat. Guild Wars 2 tops out at 17 combat buttons on the most complex classes. There's just a bunch of silly lovely design decisions like combos all being separate buttons (that you should never press out of order) and having 8 cooldowns that all do the same thing for a game you play on a PS4 controller.

Aphrodite posted:

:ironicat:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like the game (otherwise I wouldn't be playing) but I think there's a lot of things they could be doing better. I know this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp, but bear with me.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Lots of hyperbole from goons about bideogames and overarching design discussion going on, but that's pretty removed from things. Don't get bogged down with the end game and progression and whatever when you're just starting out.

If you're having fun, keep at it. When it stops being fun, reassess.

Caveat: I am a goon who indulges in hyperbole regarding videogames.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 2, 2016

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
just gently caress already

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

gently caress fantasy 14 is a bad game that is worth playing regardless

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

Lots of hyperbole from goons about bideogames and overarching design discussion going on, but that's pretty removed from things. Don't get bogged down with the end game and progression and whatever when you're just starting out.

If you're having fun, keep at it. When it stops being fun, reassess.

Caveat: I am a goon who indulges in hyperbole regarding videogames.

You see this is why I actually checked the hard facts to see if I was being hyperbolic and nope a level 60 warrior standard build has 32 abilities, 8 of which essentially do the same thing, and there are 346 main story quests gating me from playing the expansion. :rip:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

just gently caress already

Its macro monday, whip out your ERP macros guys.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thunderbro posted:

You see this is why I actually checked the hard facts to see if I was being hyperbolic and nope a level 60 warrior standard build has 32 abilities, 8 of which essentially do the same thing, and there are 346 main story quests gating me from playing the expansion. :rip:
Okay, I'll take the bait. What's your reasoning on cooldowns all being the same thing? If you simplify they all come down to "make me not die as fast," but in very different ways. That level of simplification is about as useful as complaining about DPS classes because they have too many buttons that do damage in different ways, or that healers have too many buttons that make other people not die. You use a cooldown that makes you regain health proportional to the damage you're doing very differently than you use a short length high mitigation cooldown, for example.

e: Yes this game has a lot of homogeneity in design in the pursuit of balance, and that's a legitimate thing that can rub people the wrong way, but I personally prefer it to the constant balancing act style where you have patches that radically change balance all the time. I would like to see some more strange, class-defining mechanics because I'm a bit disappointed by DRK being "PLD but with AoE and for magic damage" and AST being "WHM but weaker and has cards and an inconsequential shielding mode" but I'm holding out to see what they do with that in the next expansion

e2: While I'm airing out grievances, the system of physical/magical damage being unbelievably unintuitive is one of the worst things about the game system imo. Things like Calcabrina's tankbuster being magic and, egregiously, Kuribu's Cure IV being physical (?????) make zero sense, so paladins and dark knights end up with cooldowns that they end up just using and hoping they work outside of content where everything physical/magical is charted out, ie just raids.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't understand why the existence of the expansion compels you to want to skip the "old content". Reminds me of people who were trying to convince themselves that they wanted to play Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter before the first one. Everyone just wants the new hotness.

But then again just like with WoW everyone seems convinced that max level is "where the real game begins" which has never, ever been true. I've had plenty of people try to convince me that I would suddenly find WoW fun if only I were max level

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Aphrodite posted:

People who dislike the game post about it all the time, they just usually aren't trying to win the argument.

I dunno, there's a lot on both sides where you can practically hear the poster leaning back in their chair and smugly saying "Checkmate, nerds."

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Thunderbro posted:

None of which matters at level 5, but good job owning me in that argument I wasn't having with you.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
In the end, the draw of FFXIV is that it's an online JRPG, with all that entails (convoluted plots, lots of talking heads, linear story progress), so it comes down to your tolerance for that style of game. You can't hop to endgame immediately, but that's intentional because of the heavy story focus. If that strikes someone as pointless or restrictive, then what's there to do besides shrug and move on?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
My opinion is that if you like a video game you should purchase and play it, and if you dislike it, you should play a different video game instead, or watch a movie or really do anything else with your time other than play a video game you don't like.

But also if your opinion isn't the same as mine, you're objectively wrong and I hate you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Okay, I'll take the bait. What's your reasoning on cooldowns all being the same thing? If you simplify they all come down to "make me not die as fast," but in very different ways. That level of simplification is about as useful as complaining about DPS classes because they have too many buttons that do damage in different ways, or that healers have too many buttons that make other people not die. You use a cooldown that makes you regain health proportional to the damage you're doing very differently than you use a short length high mitigation cooldown, for example.

Inner Beast and Fell Cleave could be rolled into one ability, same with Steel Cyclone and Decimate. it's actually silly that they aren't, considering that ninjas and astros have abilities that change with their stances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thunderbro posted:

When I read it it was an even worse experience. So I stopped. The dialogue in this game is ridiculously stilted and artificial, real people don't talk or act like the characters in this game.

it may not be ""realistic"" but it's still good and funny as hell a lot of the time imo

• Locked thread