Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

could prayer help with treating the flu? not everybody goes to the hospital with terminal illnesses, sometimes patients will get better without medical intervention to which sure pray why not, drink fluids too

What exactly is the mechanism by which you're imagining prayer treating flu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

What exactly is the mechanism by which you're imagining prayer treating flu?

mindfulness and a desire to get better. it turns out some people are devoutly religious, and one of the best ways to appeal to them to keep a positive attitude is to appeal to god for help rather than trusting in the efficacy of empirical medicine. either way you're just asking people to have faith in the efficacy of treatment or the body's ability to heal

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.
So the greens have in their policy platform (lol) that alternative medicine might be cool and that you shouldn't be able to patent a life form. Lordy lordy thank dick dorkins those bombshells got out. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to vote for the "leftist" candidate that voted for the war in Iraq brb

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

beatlegs posted:

Like massive amounts of radioactive waste we have no idea what to do with sitting in barrels which are leaking out into the environment?

Better or worse than massive amounts of CO2 melting the polar ice caps? Or an underwater oil rig poisoning the Gulf of Mexico for months? It had drawbacks, but they seem better than the status quo.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i didn't say 'prayer as a cure for cancer'. you said that, so you could cast my argument in the most extremely disfavorable terms possible so that you wouldn't have to think about your rebuttal when you dismissed me, confirming your biases. and then you said you hope i get cancer because that's apparently the proper punishment for questioning you. not a very convincing argumentative style, pal

could prayer help with treating the flu? not everybody goes to the hospital with terminal illnesses, sometimes patients will get better without medical intervention to which sure pray why not, drink fluids too

You realize the flu is perfectly able to kill you. Look at the tragedy of Jim Henson. Staying home for a few days getting need rest and having chicken soup is not the same thing as purely relying on the power of prayer to cure your sore throat. I would know I relied on a poo poo ton of home remedies for over a decade cause I had no healthcare at all. And guess what the loving medicine gets you back on your feet quicker.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

You realize the flu is perfectly able to kill you. Look at the tragedy of Jim Henson. Staying home for a few days getting need rest and having chicken soup is not the same thing as purely relying on the power of prayer to cure your sore throat. I would know I relied on a poo poo ton of home remedies for over a decade cause I had no healthcare at all. And guess what the loving medicine gets you back on your feet quicker.

where did i say "purely relying on the power of prayer"? i'm going to stop reading your posts until you start reading mine, thanks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Virtue signalling" is the new "cucked" in case anyone didn't know.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dabir posted:

"Virtue signalling" is the new "cucked" in case anyone didn't know.

Word filter brings in another home run. :golfclap:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

beatlegs posted:

How exactly is a bias against nuclear power bad for the environment?

Something about base load.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/
sign my whitehouse.gov petition so that obama personally pushes the button to drone strike this guy

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So we are at an odd juncture. From what I can see, almost the entire right wing media machine have been fervent #NeverTrumps from the beginning. And they've been either completely in the bag for Cruz and against Trump, like Glenn Beck, or tried to claim neutrality but the majority of commentary has been supportive of or justifying of the Cruz candidacy and critical of or ridiculing Trump and his supporters, including the many Trumpenproletariat that call in to their shows (I'd put Limbaugh in this category).

The only exceptions that I can think of are some of the people on Breitbart radio who seem supportive of and sympathetic to Trump, and Hannity, who again claims neutrality but definitely seems very sympathetic to Trump and is in a good position to hop on the Trump Train as it leaves Cleveland for the general election.

Now that it looks like Cruz is falling apart, the game is up, and GOP voters are consolidating around the Trump candidacy, will there be any facing to bloodshed among the Mark Levine types, or Limbaugh? Does anyone who watches or listens to this stuff see any signs of capitulation?

I suspect even Rush is in some danger of losing a good chunk of his audience if he doesn't face to bloodshed, he can't go antagonizing the Trump half his callers for very long.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

beatlegs posted:

Like massive amounts of radioactive waste we have no idea what to do with sitting in barrels which are leaking out into the environment?

disposing of nuclear waste is a solved problem, we don't do it because of hysterical NIMBYs

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Something about base load.

No. Read something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

icantfindaname posted:

disposing of nuclear waste is a solved problem, we don't do it because of hysterical NIMBYs

I never thought "hey let's reprocess this into usable fuel, both giving us something useful to do with this waste and cutting down on the amount of nuclear material we have to tear out of the earth" would be a controversial topic but welp.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zwabu posted:

So we are at an odd juncture. From what I can see, almost the entire right wing media machine have been fervent #NeverTrumps from the beginning. And they've been either completely in the bag for Cruz and against Trump, like Glenn Beck, or tried to claim neutrality but the majority of commentary has been supportive of or justifying of the Cruz candidacy and critical of or ridiculing Trump and his supporters, including the many Trumpenproletariat that call in to their shows (I'd put Limbaugh in this category).

The only exceptions that I can think of are some of the people on Breitbart radio who seem supportive of and sympathetic to Trump, and Hannity, who again claims neutrality but definitely seems very sympathetic to Trump and is in a good position to hop on the Trump Train as it leaves Cleveland for the general election.

Now that it looks like Cruz is falling apart, the game is up, and GOP voters are consolidating around the Trump candidacy, will there be any facing to bloodshed among the Mark Levine types, or Limbaugh? Does anyone who watches or listens to this stuff see any signs of capitulation?

I suspect even Rush is in some danger of losing a good chunk of his audience if he doesn't face to bloodshed, he can't go antagonizing the Trump half his callers for very long.

I haven't paid attention for a few weeks, but my impression was that except for the most stalwartly ideological bits of the media machine, like the magazines (National Review, Weekly Standard), nobody has really come down too hard on Trump. People like Limbaugh endorsed Cruz but were careful not to denounce Trump and have kept the race open on purpose for the entertainment factor and because deep down they don't dislike a lot of what Trump is saying. The top ideologues in the party know how dangerous Trump is to their movement, but what's been revealed is just how few in number those people are

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

Nuclear is the only thing that can feasibly replace the large majority of present coal and natural gas plants without requiring as of yet undeveloped high end energy storage to buffer things. Hydro power could do some of it, but there is only so much remaining places to put hydro dams without ruining the environment in that way.

If you refuse to use it, you essentially have to burn a lot of fossil fuel instead, or be tied into a grid where someone else is using a lot of fossil fuel or a lot of nuclear.

beatlegs posted:

What do you mean "we have no idea what to do with"? We figured this poo poo out decades ago, you go put it somewhere deep underground and it's fine. And that's only the parts that can't be reprocessed.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

beatlegs posted:

Because without nuclear power any plan for a green economy is little more than wishful thinking.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

I never thought "hey let's reprocess this into usable fuel, both giving us something useful to do with this waste and cutting down on the amount of nuclear material we have to tear out of the earth" would be a controversial topic but welp.

a signifcant chunk of nuclear waste is like used equipment, reactor parts, PPE, cleanup material, or medical isotopes, not spent fuel that can be recycled

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a signifcant chunk of nuclear waste is like used equipment, reactor parts, PPE, cleanup material, or medical isotopes, not spent fuel that can be recycled

Yeah, but those parts also can't exactly leak, and can literally just be chucked in holes in the ground inside some concrete and poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nachos posted:

I still remember when CNN pundits were asking each other if we might have two contested conventions this year

Was just listening to some station called Democracy Now that I stumbled to on the way home and they were doing this. They were somehow more worthless than NPR election coverage

Guest was throwing out a bunch of speculation about how it will be contested and how Sanders should win, and instead of the host asking him about ethical concerns about stealing the will of the people by the person who was most loudly against it to start, it was literally GOP debate style "well your detractors and people who disagree with what you said gave said this, but they're obviously wrong. What are your thought?"

Never heard of this program before but if that's the quality of their poo poo then that's also the last time I'm tuning in lol

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Jurgan posted:

Better or worse than massive amounts of CO2 melting the polar ice caps? Or an underwater oil rig poisoning the Gulf of Mexico for months? It had drawbacks, but they seem better than the status quo.

Oh I didn't know coal and oil were the only other alternatives. Sad!

Apparently in Hawaii solar was so successful the power company shut the program down. And aren't there communities in Norway or somewhere that are running completely on solar right now?

Re: Germany, the solar program failed because they shut the nuclear down before they came up with a plan. That's just stupidity.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

What do you mean "we have no idea what to do with"? We figured this poo poo out decades ago, you go put it somewhere deep underground and it's fine. And that's only the parts that can't be reprocessed.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/nuclear-waste-burial-sites-may-become-leaky-151204.htm

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Current solar technology can either be clean or cost competitive. Since the unclean part happens in faraway places like China, it somehow doesn't count so guess what happens?

Solar is pretty much the most NIMBY power source.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

beatlegs posted:

Oh I didn't know coal and oil were the only other alternatives. Sad!

Maybe read the relevant thread a little?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

fishmech posted:

Also some of those "This is not a place of honor" proposals are super bitchin and I want to see them built just for the weird aesthetic value.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

beatlegs posted:

and yucca mountian would have handled that no problem but lol nope. its actually not tremendously hard to store radioactive waste.

nuclear is by far the safest and most effective option we currently have. chernobyl literally cannot happen again, and directly killed at most around 4,000 people. Three mile island killed 0 people. Fukishima got hit by an earthquake and a tsunami, had a catastrophic meltdown including a steam explosion, and killed 6 people, all from reasons other than radiation, such as one dude who had a heart attack.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and yucca mountian would have handled that no problem but lol nope.

And containers are never sealed improperly and human beings are perfect. It's so simple when you think about it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Hearing some GOP superpac chucklefuck straight up say "We can't lose this election because then there will most likely be a liberal majority in the supreme court and that hasn't happened since Nixon" on NPR this morning gave me a good laugh. What he said is entirely true, but if that's the case then gently caress off and let Obama pick the next Justice - like he's constitutionally mandated to do, because that some straight-up petulant poo poo. Boo hoo, we've only had a supreme court majority in our favor for roughly 4 decades and now we might not. Grow up, losing national elections on the regular has some consequences I guess?

Sidebar: Earthquakes are straight-up terrifying and I am so happy I live somewhere where they are of no direct concern. I remember hearing a story a few months after the Fukishima disaster saying the alert system in Japan had been upgraded substantially since the disaster giving residents a 20 second warning they were about to get hit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Parachute posted:

Hearing some GOP superpac chucklefuck straight up say "We can't lose this election because then there will most likely be a liberal majority in the supreme court and that hasn't happened since Nixon" on NPR this morning gave me a good laugh. What he said is entirely true, but if that's the case then gently caress off and let Obama pick the next Justice - like he's constitutionally mandated to do, because that some straight-up petulant poo poo. Boo hoo, we've only had a supreme court majority in our favor for roughly 4 decades and now we might not. Grow up, losing national elections on the regular has some consequences I guess?

Sidebar: Earthquakes are straight-up terrifying and I am so happy I live somewhere where they are of no direct concern. I remember hearing a story a few months after the Fukishima disaster saying the alert system in Japan had been upgraded substantially since the disaster giving residents a 20 second warning they were about to get hit.

It makes more sense when you realize that they consider themselves running everything to be the natural state. Meaning anybody else getting control is a monstrous aberration that heralds the end times. They've thoroughly convinced their voters of this, at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

And your point is?

beatlegs posted:

And containers are never sealed improperly and human beings are perfect. It's so simple when you think about it.

Oh so it's the " but it's not perfect therefore I'm ok with burning coal and natural gas forever" poo poo, then.

Our current coal usage is putting more radiation into the environment every year than nuclear plants have in their entire history.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

Oh so it's the " but it's not perfect therefore I'm ok with burning coal and natural gas forever" poo poo, then.

Our current coal usage is putting more radiation into the environment every year than nuclear plants have in their entire history.

You seem to be saying moving to solar and other renewables is impossible. That's a pretty rigid position.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

FMguru posted:

I was wondering who would win the contest to blame liberals for the rise of Donald Trump, but in retrospect Sullivan was the clear and obvious choice.

LGM and its commenters have some fun kicking Sullivan around here.
I read his article with growing incredulity, and at some point I said out loud 'Is Andrew Sullivan a dark enlightenment neoreactionary now?'

Literally 'freedom causes tyranny' and 'democracy is inherently bad'.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

You seem to be saying moving to solar and other renewables is impossible. That's a pretty rigid position.

It is currently impossible without really massive energy storage systems that will be very dangerous on their own, and would also take much longer to build then just going heavily nuclear. France has been heavily nuclear for decades and never had a problem, 77% of their electricity was produced by nuclear in 2012.

And as a reminder, Germany tried to go off nuclear and go heavy renewable... and they ended up increasing fossil fuel usage and reliance on imports of nuclear-produced electricity from France.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

it's pretty disingenuous to classify all alternative medicine as snake oil

Know what they call alternative medicine that works? "Medicine".

Jurgan posted:

Shearon Harris has never dumped coal ash and fly ash into my drinking water, which is more than I can say for Duke Power's coal plants.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also coal plants release more radiation just through daily operation than most nuclear plants ever will.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beatlegs posted:

yeah, it's a pretty rigid position... in reality. renewables are useful and work tremendously well; however, this ain't sim city 2000 and we're not getting a fusion reactor any time soon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Also coal plants release more radiation just through daily operation than most nuclear plants ever will.

Uhhhhhhhhhh no radiation literally only comes from nuclear plants, everything else is natural and thus cannot be poisonous like that because

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Epic High Five posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh no radiation literally only comes from nuclear plants, everything else is natural and thus cannot be poisonous like that because

All chemicals are bad!

And people often thing Nuclear Power = Nuclear Weapons, and think that the nuclear plant is literally a bomb going off, while the physics are completely different between the two.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Coal comes from plants that went into the ground. Of course the nuclear fans hate plants and the good earth

Pope Guilty posted:

I believe it's not just radiation, but total deaths from fossil fuel pollution is a shitload higher than deaths from nuclear pollution. I don't have numbers for that handy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

beatlegs posted:

If your standard for safety is "it's literally impossible for anything to ever go wrong," you'll be waiting a long time for something to come along. Again, compare to the danger posed by climate change.