Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I was downloading hearthstone to my phone, a Verizon LG G2. It is a large download so the playstore asked if I wanted to use wifi only and I did. I was fussing with some other stuff on my phone while it was downloading and mid-download my phone hard locked and rebooted itself. When it came back, my wifi no longer worked. I can push the TURN WIFI ON button on various screens and it changes color but nothing actually happens. I cannot see any networks in the area because my wifi is off.

Things I have tried:

-Turning airplane mode on and off
-Restarting my phone
-Powering my phone off completely before turning it ack on.
-Doing a system settings reset
-Doing a full factory reset

Nothing worked. What do I do now? I previously rooted my phone on a lark months ago but never installed anything that required root; are there some legitimate Advanced Trouble Shooting apps I can install? Is it even still rooted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

:smith: I didn't have the heart to tell my friend. I've told her not to get the phone wet if the back cover isn't on. The phone otherwise works as expected, but I'd replace it out of my own pocket if something hosed up because of it. I am ashamed.

Relax man, it's a budget phone, and the probability of complication is EXTREMELY low. The link I posted was me literally running mine through the washing machine, and it surviving no problem. The back cover being on properly is important; make sure she see's that sticker about where to press to seal it. If the dot gets wet, then you've got bigger problems anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was downloading hearthstone to my phone, a Verizon LG G2. It is a large download so the playstore asked if I wanted to use wifi only and I did. I was fussing with some other stuff on my phone while it was downloading and mid-download my phone hard locked and rebooted itself. When it came back, my wifi no longer worked. I can push the TURN WIFI ON button on various screens and it changes color but nothing actually happens. I cannot see any networks in the area because my wifi is off.

Things I have tried:

-Turning airplane mode on and off
-Restarting my phone
-Powering my phone off completely before turning it ack on.
-Doing a system settings reset
-Doing a full factory reset

Nothing worked. What do I do now? I previously rooted my phone on a lark months ago but never installed anything that required root; are there some legitimate Advanced Trouble Shooting apps I can iall? Is it even still rooted?

You're rooted? Then change the name of data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf* to something else (like add .bak to the end in case I'm wrong) and reboot. If that doesn't work, try what this guy says and delete the /persist/wifi folder.

This happened to the Nexus 5 too so I'm pretty sure it's the same issue (in fact I think underneath it all the G2 and Nexus 5 are the same phone). This issue was fixed in the Lollipop build on the Nexus 5, I guess LG doesn't care about it on their phones.

*Sorry I had this wrong pre-edit

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 1, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

LastInLine posted:

You're rooted? Then change the name of data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf* to something else (like add .bak to the end in case I'm wrong) and reboot. If that doesn't work, try what this guy says and delete the /persist/wifi folder.

This happened to the Nexus 5 too so I'm pretty sure it's the same issue (in fact I think underneath it all the G2 and Nexus 5 are the same phone). This issue was fixed in the Lollipop build on the Nexus 5, I guess LG doesn't care about it on their phones.

*Sorry I had this wrong pre-edit
I will keep your advice in mind but managed to solve it by doing exactly what the OP said: unroot my phone. Actually, it might still be rooted; I tried to unroot via pushing the "unroot my phone" button in the SuperSu app. After leaving it running for 2 hours I figured it wasn't actually ever going to finish unrooting it, so I stopped it. I disabled the app in its settings then clicked the "clean reinstall" button. It told me to restart my phone then reinstall the app. I restarted my phone and now my wifi works so I'm not super inclined to reinstall that app.

edit: false alarm, it just APPEARED to be fixed, trying to reinstall the offending app and then your suggestions next.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 1, 2016

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone with a note 4 notice that marshmallow killed the live weather wallpaper? I want it back. :(

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone with a note 4 notice that marshmallow killed the live weather wallpaper? I want it back. :(

Well, at least you got Marshmallow - my N910F is still stuck on 5.1.1.

Even Note 4's in India and Poland got Marshmallow. But not Nordics.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm kinda interested in a cheap phone to use as a dedicated audiobook player, anyone have any recommendations? Used moto e maybe?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not one of those small Sandisk mp3 players that are like $35?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Did Verizon's original Turbo ever get any software upgrades beyond 5.1?

What's the best Android phone that would work on Verizon right now (at an out of price pocket less than $500)?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bob A Feet posted:

Did Verizon's original Turbo ever get any software upgrades beyond 5.1?

What's the best Android phone that would work on Verizon right now (at an out of price pocket less than $500)?

At the Google Store:

32 GB (maximum NAND; 16 isn't enough in 2016) Nexus 5X is $400 before taxes and shipping and has been updated past its teething problems.

32 GB (minimum NAND) Nexus 6P has a $500 sticker price, so unless you have discount codes or something it probably doesn't qualify.

Non-Nexus phones are hard to recommend because most OEMs don't operate in good faith, no OEM is compelled to operate in good faith (Nexuses are reference devices and reflect on Google directly so they sort of have to) and even OEMs with an AOSP-like skin do at least some things strange. Doubly so on Verizon, since there aren't even that many phones other than Nexuses that you can get unlocked (and thereby without not-even-God-knows-what Verizon does to them).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 2, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The $150 off Fi deal is still active on the 5X, plus I'm seeing a new HOT DEAL ON NEXUS blog post pop up in my Google Now page about once a day that's always at least $50 off from eBay or Best Buy or someone so I think you can definitely expect to beat those sticker prices.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't think you can just walk in with a Nexus and get it working. I think you need a sim that fits whatever you're using first and unless I'm mistaken they won't give that out unless you already have a device that uses it.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Tacking on here, I have a s4 mini I need to replace. Im on Verizon, have a Sim, don't want a phablet (lol), and don't mind spending money to get something good. All I really do is browse fb, sa, and IG; and listen to music. Currently thinking a 16gb 5x. Good idea?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah 5x is $300 for the 16gb version on Amazon right now. And its less than $200 if you sign up for Project Fi too.

How is project Fi? I'm tired of paying a shitload with Verizon.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I haven't used the Facebook app for two years now since it basically ate all the ram. Is it any better now, or should I still avoid it. For reference, I'm on a Moto x pure.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They fixed it so now it eats all your battery. Stick to facebook web.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cable posted:

I haven't used the Facebook app for two years now since it basically ate all the ram. Is it any better now, or should I still avoid it. For reference, I'm on a Moto x pure.

Do this instead.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cable posted:

Don't install spyware on your phone, for real.

As someone who got the 5X well after all the software fixes this seems like an awesome phone for the price. If you're on the fence about old bad reviews that doesn't seem to apply anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

Don't install spyware on your phone, for real.

As someone who got the 5X well after all the software fixes this seems like an awesome phone for the price. If you're on the fence about old bad reviews that doesn't seem to apply anymore.

The Android Thread - Don't install spyware on your phone

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have the original Turbo. It does phone things pretty good. Will a 5x be an improvement? Amazon is showing $285 for white 16gb ones which is hard to pass up.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cable posted:

Use a wrapper app. Slide for Facebook is currently the best of them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How brutal is the Facebook app battery drain in reality? I can't say I've actively noticed it, but if it's actually statistically significant I might get rid of it. I find all the wrapper apps I've tried to be pretty bad/clunky so I've avoided them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't say I've actively noticed it
Then it's not a problem. Don't worry about it.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think you can just walk in with a Nexus and get it working. I think you need a sim that fits whatever you're using first and unless I'm mistaken they won't give that out unless you already have a device that uses it.

You can't just buy a sim? I ordered mine online, picked the size and plan, and it arrived and I just chucked it straight in, worked perfectly. Are BYO phone plans not a thing in the US?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Phon posted:

You can't just buy a sim? I ordered mine online, picked the size and plan, and it arrived and I just chucked it straight in, worked perfectly. Are BYO phone plans not a thing in the US?

Verizon is just weird and may not give you a SIM for a phone they didn't sell you. People have mixed results.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus phones are officially supported on Verizon. So yes, you can just go into a store and get a SIM.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

On Terra Firma posted:

5X and 6P should "just work" with a Verizon nano-sim. Whether they actually do or not is a different issue.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Verizon is just weird and may not give you a SIM for a phone they didn't sell you. People have mixed results.

I hope that's the case then. I've gone into different corporate stores and walked away with very different answers to the same questions depending on who I asked. I don't know why they can't get their poo poo together.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I hope that's the case then. I've gone into different corporate stores and walked away with very different answers to the same questions depending on who I asked. I don't know why they can't get their poo poo together.

Sometimes they think one answer will disappoint you more immediately and sometimes they think that the other answer will be more annoying to you in the long term. Both agents are following Verizon's corporate directive to make your life as lovely as possible but sometimes there are different paths to that common goal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

On Terra Firma posted:

Not every storefront with a Verizon logo is a Verizon corporate store. 'Authorized' resellers are a blight on the nation.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not every storefront with a Verizon logo is a Verizon corporate store. 'Authorized' resellers are a blight on the nation.

I'm aware. The resellers are the worst.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
N6P.
I've got a weird issue.
I bought this micro->C adapter and this portable battery at the same time. Plugged in the C-C cord, charged my phone perfectly. I plug in the micro->C adaptor on a micro cord, charges fine. I plugged into my factory charger...nothing. This elicited a nice "wtf?" moment. But I was going out of town, so I used the micro cord and the adapter, worked fine during the trip.

Got home. Factory charger still isn't working. I flip the C-C cord around, and the charging icon quickly flips between lightning bolt and nothing. Another "WTF?" moment.
Well, maybe the cord went bad or something. Grab this charger and a new C-C cord. New charger and new cord doesn't charge at all. New cord on factory charger doesn't charge at all. Old cord on new charger doesn't charge at all.

Take it out to the car. 2.4A type C, no charging at all.

3 different USB-A chargers charge it fine with the micro-C adapter on several different A-micro cords, including the new Anker charger. The factory A-C cord does work fine.

What
The
gently caress
?

Did the micro->C adapter break something? And if so, why does the phone still charge fine when using it? Anything that would be rapid charging (>2.1A) fails completely. Anything not rapid charging works fine. RMA time?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So I dropped my Nexus 5 in a puddle and it was a second or two before I could reach it. It worked fine initially but after about an hour or so the touch screen became completely unresponsive (except for a small corner in the top right for some weird reason). The physical buttons work fine; I can restart it, turning it off is impossible since the power down button is activated by the touchscreen.

Is this something i can salvage? I don't have any rice on hand to try that method yet, just wanted to know for those familiar with hardware if I completely screwed myself.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you turned it off and put it in desiccant right away, you might have been fine. By continuing to use it and it's clearly showing signs of damage, I'm betting it's only gonna get worse. You might be able to repair something on it, but you'd just as likely run into something else loving up later. Replace it soon and save yourself the headache.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

Is this something i can salvage? I don't have any rice on hand to try that method yet, just wanted to know for those familiar with hardware if I completely screwed myself.

Rice is easy to acquire. Do not use your phone until its spent a night in rice in a warm place (like in a storage closet with a boiler in it). You may have already hosed it, but if you keep using it as is you will definitely gently caress it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

So I dropped my Nexus 5 in a puddle and it was a second or two before I could reach it. It worked fine initially but after about an hour or so the touch screen became completely unresponsive (except for a small corner in the top right for some weird reason). The physical buttons work fine; I can restart it, turning it off is impossible since the power down button is activated by the touchscreen.

This phone is dead, RIP.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I turned it off and kept it in a pocket of my bag that luckily had a silica gel packet spill open in a long time ago I never bothered to clean out.

It works now, but I think I'm gonna keep it in a bag of rice for the next 24 hours.

If there is a point of no return for water damage on your phone, apparently using it until the screen becomes unresponsive screen isn't it :toot:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Away all Goats posted:

It worked fine initially but after about an hour or so

You already broke it by continuing to use it instead of shutting it off immediately. Unless you have magical time travel rice don't bother.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

And the problems will keep coming as the corrosion does its thing on the system board and shorts things out randomly. Maybe it's time to make sure your backups are in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If all else fails, try hitting your phone against a bag of rice to fix it.