Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Not a Step posted:

If you really believed in Convention Chaos you could make quite a few bucks

If Trump gets up to say 95, I'd say you'd be getting good value to bet against him. If this season has taught us anything, it's that you never loving know what is going to happen. Just imagine if the election gods saved the best twist for last...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/727248402803740674

Hannity is currently talking about #neverTrump's and he feels so hurt by their rejection of THE DONALD.

These #neverTrump types are going to have to find a new home, my guess is that the Neo-cons are going to become Democrats for the time being.

This is one of many things that would be great for Hillary when she gets elected, but is gonna be bad for her in the election. The Iraq war architects don't like Trump but like Hillary, and they'll say it's because he's unpredictable and dangerous, but most people won't believe that - especially if Trump gets a general for VP like all the "top pundits" seem to think is his best option.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

Hannity is currently talking about #neverTrump's and he feels so hurt by their rejection of THE DONALD.

These #neverTrump types are going to have to find a new home, my guess is that the Neo-cons are going to become Democrats for the time being.

They'll feel right at home with Hillary as POTUS.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Seems like he's thought through this whole "politics" thing.

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/727227281190572033

"Trump's hotels and golf courses are nice, so there's no way he doesn't know how to run a country!" -a very dumb old person or ycs poster.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I hope you Americans protect your Troop from KILLARY.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Montasque posted:

I kind of doubt it. Neocons are still out of fashion for most of the party, and even Clinton herself seems to be way less hawkish than she used to be. Her role in negotiating the Iran Deal is proof of that IMO. Yes, that is taking into account the horrible idea of the no-fly zone, although logistically, I don't think that's a campaign promise she could hope to fulfill anyway.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Montasque posted:

Neo-con + neo-liberal, friends for life. Gonna call it the NeoAmerica party.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Montasque posted:

Some of them will come around to Trump and some, like Jennifer Rubin, were Democrats who didn't know it all along.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

He knew the risks when he signed up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/727253907567726592

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Some of them will come around to Trump and some, like Jennifer Rubin, were Democrats who didn't know it all along.

Rubin was a Democrat for a while. She turned hard-right with 9/11. I doubt the Democratic establishment would have anythign to do with her - she's way too hawkish to be in-step with the current Democratic foreign policy/national security platform. Clinton's likely to keep with Obama's pivot between Saudi Arabia and Iran, and Rubin really has no place in such a strategy. Plus she's just an awful person on pretty much all fronts. She can register for whichever party she likes, of course, but she won't have a place at anyone's table.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

Awwww what's the matter is the widdle marinie afraid he'll see combat? What a dumb thing to bitch about, being bossed around by someone whose nickname is Killary would be something they'd be hooting for if it was R Lee Emery instead of a old woman in a pantsuit

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

LYIN TED

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Montasque posted:

Killary: i'm in your base, killin your doodz

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Bill Kristol still wants to run that third party Neo-con candidate.

I'm sure that will go well.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

If Killary is anything like Kildar, then I understand and share his concern.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Montasque posted:

Weird variant of the never talk to me or my son again meme but I like it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Trump's delegate count, state by state polling and national polling are basically double that of Cruz at this point.

How is this not declared over by everyone and bloodshed faced to?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oiled and Ready posted:

People are looking too much at Europe's alt-right in saying it can't catch here with more than a fringe group. America is not as educated as Europe, not as tolerant as Europe, not as liberal as Europe.

Trump isn't exactly alt-right, but he's close enough that he may have opened up a box we can't close back up. The only reason the Republicans could close it the first time was that the media was all top-down, most white people had good pay and William F. Buckley was alive. None of those are true anymore, and with the death of one monster (social conservativism/neocon alliance) will come another.

There are 2 big factors that worry me about trump and the alt right. Firstly, trump doesn't give a poo poo about policy and would enact hard alt right politics if he knew it could keep him popular and in power with his base. plus he is enough of a bigot to not give a poo poo about the ones hurt.

secondly, even if trump loses, his platform and tactics have now open the door for the election of much scarier hard right wing nutjobs.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahahahaha Lou Holtz just endorsed Trump.

Sorry guys, Indiana is officially loving over. No convention chaos :(

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

I just want you to know that I too share the horrible burden of knowing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So about Trump getting 1237+ delegates. In primaries past, once a candidate appeared to have the nomination squared away (and certainly once they had a majority of pledged delegates), planning of the convention would be given over to their campaign - but that seems to have been somewhat informal, since they aren't "officially" the nominee until the convention, and reflects how the conventions are mostly used as publicity platforms.

If Trump gets to 1237+ and they refuse to hand over planning of the convention, that can really only mean treachery is afoot, and it would be up to the RNC to make that statement and stand by such a decision for over a month as Trump rallies against them. On the other hand, if they hand it over, even though Cruz may have the grit to rewrite the rules by taking over the relevant committee to make himself the nominee that would become just a little bit more difficult to pull off in a convention organized by Trump - I could see Trump scheduling the Rules Committee to meet on-stage and on-camera, so any rules chicany has to be done live in front of Roger Stone's "non-violent" mob of Stop the Steal supporters.

There's so many hands and factions involved. The RNC gets to pick the chairman of the rules' committee and there's all kinds of procedural fuckery to be done there like taking a voice vote and hearing what you want to hear. The delegates themselves are only guaranteed to nominate Trump if the first ballot goes as planned, but weird state restrictions and the wild makeup of the individual delegates makes the result of a second or third ballot unknown. Establishment figures have abandoned attending the convention in droves but also removed the chance of any moderating voices as it's otherwise given over to Trump and Cruz true believers. It might even be to their benefit to appear as powerless in the process as possible, so if Cruz affects a steal they can hope he'll take most of the blowback.

I think we could absolutely still see convention chaos if Trump wins a majority, and we might even see it earlier.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There are 2 big factors that worry me about trump and the alt right. Firstly, trump doesn't give a poo poo about policy and would enact hard alt right politics if he knew it could keep him popular and in power with his base. plus he is enough of a bigot to not give a poo poo about the ones hurt.

secondly, even if trump loses, his platform and tactics have now open the door for the election of much scarier hard right wing nutjobs.

Trump's alt-right wouldn't hurt American citizens, though, because the only group of Americans the alt-right would really feel sated with hurting he wouldn't be insane enough to go after. I feel you on "opening the door", though.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Levin sounds hammered and slurry today.

He's not willing to give up yet, thinks Cruz can snake it all away!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Joementum posted:

Seems like he's thought through this whole "politics" thing.

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/727227281190572033

Coach Urbs, please get on the MAGA bandwagon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trump probably doesn't know he should organize the convention and who's going to tell him?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

What a dumb thing to bitch about, being bossed around by someone whose nickname is Killary would be something they'd be hooting for if it was R Lee Emery instead of a old woman in a pantsuit

Alternatively, imagine if Trump was female. How much traction would a woman have gotten by saying a fraction of his bullshit until she was called shrill and a bitch? A large portion of Trump's support seems to come from the ridiculous and ironic strongman persona he has, and that simply doesn't work with the right wing if you lack a penis.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trump just said "we can't continue to be the policemen of the world," like a Democrat would in the 2000s, and got roaring applause.

Uh, that was an old-school GOP line.

"Bush on US Role in Yugoslavia: We're not the world's policeman," June 12, 1992

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1992/06/12/bush-on-us-role-in-yugoslavia-were-not-the-worlds-policeman/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Alt-righties getting ultra-paranoid and shooting up places over insane mythological things like "FEMA death camps" hasn't exactly been an unheard-of thing over the past eight years, unfortunately. Regardless of whether or not it has been Trump's intention, by harping on some of that paranoia and using it to fuel his campaign, he is helping make alt-right violence more normalized. I fully expect there to be more pro-Trump, alt-right violence between now and November, unfortunately.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

Even worse, what if she's really Kilgrave from "Jessica Jones"?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hell is hungry

https://twitter.com/theryanparker/status/727183709795815424

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Majorian posted:

He's a classy guy with a decent sense of humor. I think we could have worse.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

TheTatteredKing posted:

Trump probably doesn't know he should organize the convention and who's going to tell him?

Nah he's already said they're always boring, dry affairs and he's going to make this one worth watching.

He spoke at an RNC convention in '88 or '92, he knows a lot more about the inside baseball than he lets on. He's an "outsider" like a guy with box seats at Yankee Stadium who drinks and watches with the owners is an outsider.

You all only believed him when he said he didn't know what a "ground game" was because you wanted to believe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Prof. Lurker posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/727225626575421440

ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaha

quote:

Holtz has long been active in Republican Party politics, including his support for Helms, hosting former Vice President Dan Quayle in a 1999 fundraising tour, speaking at a 2007 House Republicans strategy meeting[30] and considering entering the Republican primary for a Congressional seat in Fl
Florida in 2009. However, he also made a large contribution to the campaign of Democratic Party Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in 2008. He often appears on Hannity on the Fox News Channel. Holtz appeared as himself in a Discover Card commercial in November 2011.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, gonna say Kilgrave isnt worse than the Kildar. Not by an order of magnitude.

Nichael posted:

Alternatively, imagine if Trump was female. How much traction would a woman have gotten by saying a fraction of his bullshit until she was called shrill and a bitch? A large portion of Trump's support seems to come from the ridiculous and ironic strongman persona he has, and that simply doesn't work with the right wing if you lack a penis.

Counterpoint: Sarah Palin

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

radical meme posted:

Is there anybody that currently posts in this thread that supports Ted Cruz? Is there anybody that posts here since the first of the year that supports Cruz? I can't think of anyone and I visit here almost daily.

I am not a Trump supporter and I'll vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is but, I have found myself rooting for Trump against Cruz throughout this race.

I saw a Cruz sticker on a car the other day. Also, he lives a few miles from where I saw the car so maybe it was his wife.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Majorian posted:

Rubin was a Democrat for a while. She turned hard-right with 9/11. I doubt the Democratic establishment would have anythign to do with her - she's way too hawkish to be in-step with the current Democratic foreign policy/national security platform. Clinton's likely to keep with Obama's pivot between Saudi Arabia and Iran, and Rubin really has no place in such a strategy. Plus she's just an awful person on pretty much all fronts. She can register for whichever party she likes, of course, but she won't have a place at anyone's table.

Rubin was hired at the Post specifically to blog as a right-winger, so her whole job depends on keeping up the act.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Levin is arguing that delegate fuckary is the REAL will of the people.

Also saying that this is a TEA PARTY uprising against Trump, who is a RINO establishment ring leader.

E:

Montasque fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Yeah, gonna say Kilgrave isnt worse than the Kildar. Not by an order of magnitude.

Counterpoint: Sarah Palin

I don't think Palin utilized a strongman persona, as much as a common sense, rural folksiness attitude. The latter is a lot more doable as a woman. I suppose it could be argued that she did some of both though.

• Locked thread