Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ularg posted:

Thank you, I'll have to go with newegg/amazon because I'm not lucky enough to live near a fries. I got to go into one of their stores once and it felt like the first time I went into a Toys R Us as a kid.

Still wondering if I should disconnect the fan or if it's okay to leave as is until I get a replacement. I don't want it to cascade and break something else in there.
I'd disconnect it, but the absolute worst thing that could possible happen is that the fan motor could seize, overheat, and start smoking. And that's rather unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I have two brand new SSDs, both Samsung 850 EVO 1TBs in a brand new computer about a week or so old. When I started my computer today, Windows 10 ran checkdisk on C: (windows drive, one of the SSDs) during boot and now the drive is one gigabyte less in size than the other one. Is this normal behavior for a new drive, or should I be worried? Sorry for the big c/p, but it seems relevant to the issue.

quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 4/24/2016 3:37:53 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Node
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Samsung 850 1TB 1.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
575744 file records processed.

File verification completed.
4309 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
650578 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 815 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 815 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 815 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
37418 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35659136 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

976181247 KB total disk space.
249418736 KB in 293522 files.
157208 KB in 37419 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
708291 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
725897012 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244045311 total allocation units on disk.
181474253 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 c9 08 00 93 0c 05 00 dd 2b 09 00 00 00 00 00 .........+......
53 03 00 00 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 S...2...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Samsung 850 1TB 1.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
575744 file records processed.

File verification completed.
4309 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
650578 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 815 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 815 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 815 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
37418 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35659136 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

976181247 KB total disk space.
249418736 KB in 293522 files.
157208 KB in 37419 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
708291 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
725897012 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244045311 total allocation units on disk.
181474253 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 c9 08 00 93 0c 05 00 dd 2b 09 00 00 00 00 00 .........+......
53 03 00 00 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 S...2...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Node posted:

I have two brand new SSDs, both Samsung 850 EVO 1TBs in a brand new computer about a week or so old. When I started my computer today, Windows 10 ran checkdisk on C: (windows drive, one of the SSDs) during boot and now the drive is one gigabyte less in size than the other one. Is this normal behavior for a new drive, or should I be worried? Sorry for the big c/p, but it seems relevant to the issue.
CHKDSK's output doesn't mean anything, it's just checking the filesystem data stored on the drive. Look at Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable) to check the SMART logs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

CHKDSK's output doesn't mean anything, it's just checking the filesystem data stored on the drive. Look at Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable) to check the SMART logs.

Ok, I have it installed, yet there isn't an Event Log under Function > Advanced Feature like the site claims there is. All the various readings displayed at the bottom are exactly the same as it's twin, in any case.

So if Windows thinks a drive needs checkdisk run, it doesn't necessarily mean the drive has an error or is otherwise unhealthy?

Thanks for the help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Node posted:

If it's 1GB less than your other drive I'm guessing its the recovery partition that can be around 450mb-1gb in size causing the difference.

http://ccm.net/faq/3917-windows-7-the-hidden-partition

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

FCKGW posted:

If it's 1GB less than your other drive I'm guessing its the recovery partition that can be around 450mb-1gb in size causing the difference.

http://ccm.net/faq/3917-windows-7-the-hidden-partition

Derpp. Yeah, that would explain it.

I got scared when this computer has been up not even a week and Windows thought one of the drives needed a checkdisk run on it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

[s]I just got my desktop up and running again. I thought I fried the motherboard, turns out it just needed the CMOS reset. One thing I noticed while in the CMOS was that I was running at 94 centigrade. So I tore down, cleaned off the thermal paste, and applied it new. I used about a 5-6mm bead, so I don't think I overdid it. But it's still running hot. I noticed that my fan, the default small one that comes with the processor, isn't spinning above 2100RPM, usually below 2050. Is the fan not running as fast as it should? Should I get a coolermaster or something? For now I'm going to avoid gaming, although who knows how long it's been like this.

i3 4310, by the way.

edit: I forgot I had prime95 running, someone on Tomshardware suggested it like it was a monitoring program. Then at the advice of a thread on reddit (:suicide:) I pushed my cooler up against the CPU, I guess it was kind of loose. Now it's down under 80, although I'm going to keep an eye on it as I go tonight. Is compressed air okay to clean out a fan? One guy bitched at me for using compressed air when I was working on a server because he said it could cause condensation and fry the parts. Was he full of poo poo? I haven't cleaned out my fan in way too long. As I have typed this, it's gone from 80 down to 71, and the fan has gone from 2700RPM down to 2100. I must have gotten the fan in better, it's kind of in lovely condition.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is compressed air okay to clean out a fan? One guy bitched at me for using compressed air when I was working on a server because he said it could cause condensation and fry the parts.

The only issues I've heard with compressed air used to blow out fans is that you should jam the fan with something so you don't over-drive it to some crazy RPMs it was never made to run at. No idea if canned air has the grunt to do that, though - it was in reference to using a compressor.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is compressed air okay to clean out a fan? One guy bitched at me for using compressed air when I was working on a server because he said it could cause condensation and fry the parts. Was he full of poo poo? I haven't cleaned out my fan in way too long.

It's fine. Theoretically you could cool what you're blasting enough to cause moisture from the air to condense on it and maybe cause a short. The easy solution is: don't blast the entire can on one tiny bit.

And I'd jam the fan to make sure it doesn't get spun up too fast, but it'll probably be fine if you don't. Especially if it's a fan that's small and fast like you describe having.

Prime95 is nice for checking if your overclock is stable or if your airflow is sufficient for keeping the CPU cool in a worst-case scenario. I don't think it has any real use otherwise; unless you're trying to find new digits of pi at home for some weird reason.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If the cooler is loose as you say, you need to fix that. It shouldn't be loose or have any of the four pins partially secured.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll do what I can. It must be somewhat better now, because it's cooled down significantly. The pins are just kind of hosed up, I think. In my experience the pins on these default Intel coolers stop working right after just a couple of installs. I might buy one of those coolermasters with the tax return that's supposed to come in tomorrow if I can't get it to work right. The ventilation on the case isn't great for the way that it doesn't blow straight out opposite the processor, not sure what to do about that. It's an old lovely case, the only vents are on the service panel. Maybe I'll have to buy a new case too. Hopefully I can avoid that, I've got speccy running to test the temperatures.

Just tested it, 0 wiggle in the fan now. I need to get the fan fixed ASAP, though. Working in Unity on a laptop is terrible. At this point it's probably all the dog hair that's gotten in in the past year, I haven't blown it out since I moved in with a permanently shedding dog.

edit: Blowing it out while socketed didn't work. I'm going to remove the sink from the board, blow it out thoroughly from both sides, reapply thermal paste, and put it back in.

Thermal paste should still be good after about a year and a half, right? I used a tube from my last job that I left last April.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 26, 2016

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is compressed air okay to clean out a fan? One guy bitched at me for using compressed air when I was working on a server because he said it could cause condensation and fry the parts. Was he full of poo poo?

Yes and no. This is in reference to compressed air, not canned air. Compressed air really depends on the moisture in the air, dew points and temperature, but yes, it can blow water onto devices if the air is not 'dried' properly. It's generally a bad idea to use air from a compressor tank (or portable air tank) directly without at least a water trap on it somewhere. However, it generally takes a lot of air in one spot to really cause water buildup enough to cause a short. Generally you won't be cleaning out running computers anyways.

If you're willing to spend the money to have it, blowers are really the way to go. They're loud and obnoxious and clean stuff really good. The Datavac is pretty drat awesome and works really well. If you want portable I"ve heard ok things about the O2 Hurricane.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I asked this in the upgrade thread but this is probably the better place for it:

I have an MSI P965 motherboard. It currently has a PCI-E 2.0 gfx card in it. I've heard that anything above that, from 2.1 upwards, will not work due to a change in the power supply through the slot. Is that true, am I stuck with PCI-E 2.0 cards only?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Lungboy posted:

I asked this in the upgrade thread but this is probably the better place for it:

I have an MSI P965 motherboard. It currently has a PCI-E 2.0 gfx card in it. I've heard that anything above that, from 2.1 upwards, will not work due to a change in the power supply through the slot. Is that true, am I stuck with PCI-E 2.0 cards only?
Incorrect. You can use a PCI-E 3.0x card on your board as it's backwards compatible.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

future ghost posted:

Incorrect. You can use a PCI-E 3.0x card on your board as it's backwards compatible.

Is it really that straightforward? I know in theory it should be fine, but there are thousands of threads all over the net about issues with 2.1 working on 1.0 slots due to a change in how 2.1 deals with power supplied to the card. It seems that Nvidia is safer than AMD, but on such an old chipset, even that might be pot luck.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

Is it really that straightforward? I know in theory it should be fine, but there are thousands of threads all over the net about issues with 2.1 working on 1.0 slots due to a change in how 2.1 deals with power supplied to the card. It seems that Nvidia is safer than AMD, but on such an old chipset, even that might be pot luck.
It's going to come down to your specific motherboard and the BIOS installed. I think with the latest BIOS it will PROBABLY work.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks. I've spent the afternoon reading more and it seems to be specifically 1.0a slots that might be out of luck. My motherboard is listed as 1.0a but cpu-z reckons it's 1.1. If that's correct then I should be fine.

I'm tempted to try overclocking my system to see if I can squeeze a bit more life out of it. Is it better to oc gfx 1st then motherboard or the other way around? Or doesn't it matter?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
With a modern graphics card the CPU would likely be the bottleneck so see if you can bump it up a bit. Do keep in mind that computer is ancient so there's some fundamental limits to what you're going to be able to accomplish.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Alereon posted:

With a modern graphics card the CPU would likely be the bottleneck so see if you can bump it up a bit. Do keep in mind that computer is ancient so there's some fundamental limits to what you're going to be able to accomplish.

Thanks, I'll try the cpu 1st. I have a q6600 that's been sat on my desk for a year, plus more ram that I picked up cheap on eBay, hopefully those will give me a bit more oomph to tide me over until I can afford a full new rig.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone remember model numbers for the last of the PATA DVD burners? Stuff made 2010 or later which is really pushing it for PATA but they exist.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone remember model numbers for the last of the PATA DVD burners? Stuff made 2010 or later which is really pushing it for PATA but they exist.

I don't really remember model numbers of random DVD-RWs but there's still some on amazon, just search for IDE instead of PATA:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ide%20dvd-rw&index=blended

Also there are these sata to ide adapters, although I haven't used one I have a couple in my parts box just in case:
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Covert-Interface-Motherboard/dp/B009SO7R0U

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rexxed posted:

I don't really remember model numbers of random DVD-RWs but there's still some on amazon, just search for IDE instead of PATA:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ide%20dvd-rw&index=blended

Also there are these sata to ide adapters, although I haven't used one I have a couple in my parts box just in case:
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Covert-Interface-Motherboard/dp/B009SO7R0U

Ah thanks. Didn't think to try that on Amazon. Just getting the model numbers helps as you can find them on ebay listed without interface specs for pennies.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I installed Core Temp yesterday, and after 20 minutes of Path of Exile, it reported my e6600 at 92c. That sounds not good. Can that chip even run at that temp? I thought they cut out long before that. It's running at stock settings, no overclock, with stock Intel cooler.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

I installed Core Temp yesterday, and after 20 minutes of Path of Exile, it reported my e6600 at 92c. That sounds not good. Can that chip even run at that temp? I thought they cut out long before that. It's running at stock settings, no overclock, with stock Intel cooler.
They don't throttle until 100C, but I would strongly suggest cleaning out your heatsink and if necessary remounting it with a fresh layer of thermal paste. Also don't use CoreTemp, it contains malware, RealTemp works fine on older Intel CPUs. Remove Coretemp and then do malware scans.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Alereon posted:

They don't throttle until 100C, but I would strongly suggest cleaning out your heatsink and if necessary remounting it with a fresh layer of thermal paste. Also don't use CoreTemp, it contains malware, RealTemp works fine on older Intel CPUs. Remove Coretemp and then do malware scans.

Oh, bugger, will do. Thanks for the heads up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a fairly old Thinkpad and I can hear the processor very audibly when it's working. Not like fan or hard drive noise, but like a faint midrange to high-pitched electronic buzz. What am I hearing? Capacitor/coil whine?

I know all PCs do this to some extent (see: sidechannel attacks), but does the fact that it's getting louder imply anything bad about my laptop's health?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Alereon posted:

They don't throttle until 100C, but I would strongly suggest cleaning out your heatsink and if necessary remounting it with a fresh layer of thermal paste.

I took out the cpu and heatsink + fan, and swapped them for a brand new Q6600 with new stock heatsink and fan. Ran a bit of Path of Exile. RealTemp reports max temp on the 4 cores as 98 95 87 89. Bugger.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

I took out the cpu and heatsink + fan, and swapped them for a brand new Q6600 with new stock heatsink and fan. Ran a bit of Path of Exile. RealTemp reports max temp on the 4 cores as 98 95 87 89. Bugger.
It should not be that hot, you're sure the heatsink is securely mounted, and you used a fresh layer of thermal paste on the CPU after cleaning both it and the heatsink base? It's most likely the heatsink is loose because you didn't push hard enough to engage the mounting pegs. At this point I'd recommend picking up a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink, they're inexpensive, provide much better cooling, and use a better mounting system.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Alereon posted:

It should not be that hot, you're sure the heatsink is securely mounted, and you used a fresh layer of thermal paste on the CPU after cleaning both it and the heatsink base? It's most likely the heatsink is loose because you didn't push hard enough to engage the mounting pegs. At this point I'd recommend picking up a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink, they're inexpensive, provide much better cooling, and use a better mounting system.

No, I didn't clean the chip or heatsink as they were straight out of the box, and the heatsink had thermal compound on so I didn't add any extra. I'll take it apart and reseat it all. I did run a Prime95 cpu heavy test and it got to 106 104 98 98 :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alereon posted:

Well, I'm glad to know that my chip isn't completely killing itself by running above 90. I'm still not using it right now, though. If a fresh coat of paste and a clean heatsink doesn't work, is there anything else to do than a new heatsink? Or does that mean a bad motherboard or processor?

If it's running that hot, should the air coming off the fan be scalding hot?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I'm glad to know that my chip isn't completely killing itself by running above 90. I'm still not using it right now, though. If a fresh coat of paste and a clean heatsink doesn't work, is there anything else to do than a new heatsink? Or does that mean a bad motherboard or processor?

If it's running that hot, should the air coming off the fan be scalding hot?
He has an old CPU that is much more tolerant of high temperatures. Yes, you should buy a new heatsink. It's hard to draw conclusions about how hot air will be, because for example if you can't get the heatsink securely mounted to the CPU the cores will be very hot but the CPU won't be.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Could it be down to a faulty sensor or something motherboard related? I'm away for a week now but is it worth doing a bios update when I've reseated the heatsink?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alereon posted:

He has an old CPU that is much more tolerant of high temperatures. Yes, you should buy a new heatsink. It's hard to draw conclusions about how hot air will be, because for example if you can't get the heatsink securely mounted to the CPU the cores will be very hot but the CPU won't be.

:doh: I was thinking that it was a 6 series i3/5/7.

I guess that's what I was getting at. The air from the fan didn't seem all that hot when I pressed it against the board to see if that brought the temperature down. And it did bring the temperature down a little bit. That was a sort of probing question, if the air coming from the fan isn't that hot, it means that it isn't transferring that much heat. I'll give my old heatsink one last shot and then buy a coolermaster. I've got plenty of thermal paste to try it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Q6600s had similar temperature restrictions on heat to newer chips. Core2s didn't really like running above ~72C. 90C+ is way too hot and either that heatsink is just improperly installed or it will need to be replaced by a bolt down cooler before the chip or the board burn up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So my monitors image started cutting out. Cable wiggling doesn't do anything but turning the computer on and off brings the image on for a few seconds and turning the monitor off then back on does also brings the image back for a bit. The computer itself seems ok.

Any guesses? I'm about to move the computer to another monitor to see if it's just the old monitor.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

LingcodKilla posted:

So my monitors image started cutting out. Cable wiggling doesn't do anything but turning the computer on and off brings the image on for a few seconds and turning the monitor off then back on does also brings the image back for a bit. The computer itself seems ok.

Any guesses? I'm about to move the computer to another monitor to see if it's just the old monitor.

Sounds like bad capacitors. If you're feeling adventurous you could open it up and see if any of them are leaking or bulging. Replacing them only costs a couple of bucks and a few minutes with a soldering iron.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

It sounds like your monitor is going, but I would test to be sure, I've seen graphics cards cause odd issues like that, but only rarely. Don't forget to test your cable as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just tested new cables, then new cable and different monitor. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Time to get two new monitors!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

future ghost posted:

Q6600s had similar temperature restrictions on heat to newer chips. Core2s didn't really like running above ~72C. 90C+ is way too hot and either that heatsink is just improperly installed or it will need to be replaced by a bolt down cooler before the chip or the board burn up.
Obsessive nerd details about temperature monitoring: There's two rated temperatures that are important when it comes to CPU lifespan: TjMax and TcaseMax. TjMax is the maximum "thermal junction" temperature as measured by the Digital Thermal Sensors for each core. When the temperature hits TjMax, the CPU begins to throttle to protect itself. TjMax is between 90-105C depending on the CPU.

TcaseMax is the maximum temperature on the surface of the CPU's heat spreader (case), and is either measured by an affixed sensor or calculated via a formula. This is the temperature Intel specifies a the maximum operating temperature for thermal design reasons and is between 65-75C depending on the CPU.

Bonus note: Current Intel CPU's have a "CPU Package Temperature" which is the highest temperature currently reported by any core, this is the most useful temperature to watch in my opinion.

A CPU should be able to operate just shy of TjMax for its entire operating lifespan without too much issue. Indeed, this is how laptops work, with the fans running at whatever speed is necessary to keep the CPU at around 90C. That said, you should definitely correct cooling issues when able, and if your CPU is super hot when idling then it's going to throttle heavily under load, but a CPU at stock settings shouldn't be harmed by peaking that high under max load. When overclocking it becomes much more important to keep your CPU well-cooled, especially when running at higher-than-stock operating voltages. As a general rule newer CPUs are less tolerant of elevated temperatures because of the smaller feature size, but there are so many changes between generations this isn't always consistent.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I really hate to re-visit this conversation about updating my office PC' GPU with something that's non-poo poo. But is there any way of knowing if this GPU will work in my existing setup?

GPU that our office wants to add: NVIDIA NVS 510 2GB

Existing PC setup (Speccy Screenshot):

Is there any quick and dirty way of determining whether this GPU would even be compatible with our existing hardware? I was really keen on just restricting our upgrade options to better RAM setup, which is what you guys suggested. But our management team was told that we can easily acquire a bunch of NVIDIA NVS 510s, so they got all excited about it. But I don't even know if it'll work with our Lenovo workstations at to begin with, and I'm really not at all familiar with the NVIDIA NVS GPUs.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 2, 2016