Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, scheduling meetings when one isn't even supposed to be at work is loving garbage. You work an 8 hour day, get 8 hours of sleep (in theory), spend an hour getting ready for work, and if you don't live across the street from your job you spend 1-2 hours commuting. So you get 5-6 hours to actually live your life, and if you got kids you can kiss all of that goodbye because you gotta take care of them too.

Adding another hour to your workday just because some dillhole wants an early meeting is a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure all it needs is a print device on the AS/400 that can create a PDF

There are a couple vendors that make the software. We're switching systems currently so I'm not going to mess with it, it just bothers me that they've done it this way for like 10 years. THINK OF THE TREES

I forget the specifics since it's been about 10 years, but at one point I had a CUPS print server set up in such a way that you could pick pretty much any random older Postscript printer driver (I usually went with the LaserJet 4m) on the client and it'd work. The client sends Postscript to the print server and the print server figured everything out from there.

I'd imagine pretty much anything that supports any kind of network printers can be made to work with that sort of thing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
1) Can't decline the meeting. Or could, but would have to deal with my boss getting pissed at me.
2) I've mentioned before in these threads that I suffer from a sleeping disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome that results in me getting about 5 hours of sleep a night on weeknights. This amount of sleep allows me to, barely, make it through the week, although by Friday evening I'm generally so miserable from sleep deprivation that I can't really function. Being shorted on sleep can have rather bad consequences on the state of my brain by the end of the week.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We got a bunch of faxes with malware links! Who does that? Also a few people in sales asked me about the suspicious email they got. Apparently the fax made one of them think "hey this has to be legit" I caught it because I was in there getting the faxes to shred before someone decided to just type it in.

Virus total lists the site as malware, google search of the URL and phishing says its a google account phishing attempt, which the email and fax both say use your google account.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Khisanth Magus posted:

1) Can't decline the meeting. Or could, but would have to deal with my boss getting pissed at me.
2) I've mentioned before in these threads that I suffer from a sleeping disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome that results in me getting about 5 hours of sleep a night on weeknights. This amount of sleep allows me to, barely, make it through the week, although by Friday evening I'm generally so miserable from sleep deprivation that I can't really function. Being shorted on sleep can have rather bad consequences on the state of my brain by the end of the week.

Personally I'd decline the meeting, but I make that decision with the knowledge that my boss would back me on it. Or if I absolutely need to be there, open a conference call and dial in.

Talk to your boss, and if he decides to be a dick ask him if you can bail an hour early or get the hour as comp time. Use that time to yotj someplace better.

Also, you really should go get an official diagnosis on your sleep disorder. Once you have an official diagnosis you can A. Seek treatment, and B. Have a leg to stand on when you tell him this schedule has medical (read: legal) implications.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

We got a bunch of faxes with malware links! Who does that? Also a few people in sales asked me about the suspicious email they got. Apparently the fax made one of them think "hey this has to be legit" I caught it because I was in there getting the faxes to shred before someone decided to just type it in.

Virus total lists the site as malware, google search of the URL and phishing says its a google account phishing attempt, which the email and fax both say use your google account.

It's been mentioned here a few times by myself and others but KnowBe4 is such a great service. I just pushed out our baseline campaign email to see how many users get click happy. The training videos are done exceptionally well and do a good job training users on how to not fall victim to malicious emails. Well worth the money and not a huge expense for a business either.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

This stack of statements gets printed every Monday morning. If the old lady who prints them hits enter twice, the stack of paper is twice as high.

These then all get SCANNED BACK IN AS PDF's. And emailed to customers.

AS/400 guy won't set it up to print to PDF's.

Back in my MSP days we constantly theorized a device that could automate this inefficiency (because so many businesses refused to fix the problem the right way).

The Printer-Scanner-Shredder is a hands-off all in one device that prints your document, scans it to PDF, and then shreds the paper copy without any user interaction! This magical device avoids the scary idea of Print-To-PDF, because paperless digital worlds are unsafe and prone to data loss.

Want to reduce paper usage? Now introducing the DUPLEX Printer-Scanner-Shredder, eliminating waste by 50%!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Back in my MSP days we constantly theorized a device that could automate this inefficiency (because so many businesses refused to fix the problem the right way).

The Printer-Scanner-Shredder is a hands-off all in one device that prints your document, scans it to PDF, and then shreds the paper copy without any user interaction! This magical device avoids the scary idea of Print-To-PDF, because paperless digital worlds are unsafe and prone to data loss.

Want to reduce paper usage? Now introducing the DUPLEX Printer-Scanner-Shredder, eliminating waste by 50%!

This sounds very close to a perfect ticket system I once pondered...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's thinking like a user! I was once asked if such a device existed (minus the shred). I explained print to PDF then just print the PDF for the public record. Nope that's more complicated and would take more time apparently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Printer output tray dumps sheet into sheet-feed scanner like a ScanSnap, which feeds the paper into the shredder.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Bob Morales posted:

Someone keys in everyone's payroll from a spreadsheet from PayChex. MANUALLY. Because AS/400 guy never made a way for them to just be able to upload the loving CSV.

Same goes from credit card statements, shipping statements... But it's not entirely his fault, the financial controller (who used to be in charge of IT) "wants someone doing it to make sure it's right" because he's too dumb to realize if you upload a CSV you're not going to have mistakes (unless you have the fields/upload wrong)

We have 7 people in our accounting department not counting an intern and 2 receptionists that do part-time accounting tasks. We're going to only need 3 when this is all done.

There is always more useful stuff for accounting people to do than data entry. In a previous job they had an accounting team split in two, one side processed invoices, orders etc. and the other side double checked everything the first side did. There was no mechanism for reporting errors back to the first side, so one person would always make the same mistake and another would always correct it. When the team was restructured to fix this, the spare time gained was now spent checking what the invoices were actually for instead of just errors, and they immediately started to find all sorts of dodgy deals and backhanders that were slipping under the radar up to that point. It's amazing how useful people can be when they're actually managed well.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

At least the pdf is being emailed instead of being printed again and sent by fax I guess :downs:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I think a printer-scanner shredder would be perfect. Printer and scanner are put into an industrial shredder, user has to figure out how to print to PDF.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Grow a loving backbone and reject that poo poo unless you get comp time, OT, or can shift your hours. If someone puts a 7AM meeting on my calendar (which they do), I leave at 3PM. If I have meetings up to 5PM, I reject it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I think a printer-scanner shredder would be perfect. Printer and scanner are put into an industrial shredder, user has to figure out how to print to PDF.

A printer scanner shredder printer scanner shredder.

3D printer prints a printer-scanner-shredder, a 3d laser scanner takes an image of the device, then an industrial scanner eats the poo poo out of it. The 3D printer then takes the scanned schematics and starts over.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Sort of like this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh man. I just found this gem on the wall.

It's like 3 feet tall, and at the end it starts talking about the Post Office, Social Security, and ends with:

You may think that I am complaining,
but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting
that MAYBE
we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart
to fix the economy
because the idiots in Washington sure can’t do it!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well fact six is wrong. Wait, how are they defining largest company? Largest private employer? Market cap?

The contents of that printout perfectly suit the frame that it's been put into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm also curious how they calculated point #2.

"hmm 36 million divided by 60.. no that's too much, we'd better google things like markup and minimum wage to figure this poo poo out."

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Brought up a new Metro fiber link. 10GB to our second building about 1.2 miles away.

Yay.

Then I ran a ping between switches.

code:
Warp2.16 # ping 172.16.0.5
Ping(ICMP) 172.16.0.5: 4 packets, 8 data bytes, interval 1 second(s).
16 bytes from 172.16.0.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=126 ms
16 bytes from 172.16.0.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=106 ms
16 bytes from 172.16.0.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=135 ms
16 bytes from 172.16.0.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=118 ms

--- 172.16.0.5 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 106/121/135 ms
:wtf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it go the wrong way around the globe to reach you or something.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That's pretty much the only explanation I've got for that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only there were commands available to trace a packet's route as it heads towards its destination. :colbert:

Though I'm guessing some genius admin forgot to complete the setup on the associated interfaces. You'll call them up, sit on hold for a while, finally get to someone and they'll be all "whoopsie forgot to turn on the GoodPing option, you're good to go now!"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

xzzy posted:

If only there were commands available to trace a packet's route as it heads towards its destination. :colbert:

Though I'm guessing some genius admin forgot to complete the setup on the associated interfaces. You'll call them up, sit on hold for a while, finally get to someone and they'll be all "whoopsie forgot to turn on the GoodPing option, you're good to go now!"

code:
Warp2.15 # traceroute 172.16.0.5
traceroute to 172.16.0.5, 30 hops max
 1  172.16.0.5                                  94 ms      129 ms      191 ms
:cmon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it go the wrong way around the globe to reach you or something.

TWICE at those speeds.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

ratbert90 posted:

TWICE at those speeds.

I've been sitting here for an hour trying to figure out how the could POSSIBLY gently caress up a fiber connection between buildings like this. I just don't see how.

I even had my padawan run over to the other building and unplug the link just to make sure it's an actual end-to-end connection. he unplugged, we lost link.

I feel like a teenage girl right now who just can't even.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not a point-to-point link is it, presumably the near side NTE is shutting the port down if the link is lost to give you options for detecting failures. I hope?

If there's no active gear at either end then yeah, what the gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've seen issues like that on slower links because we had auto-negotiate turned on for that switch port, instead of locking it at 100mb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You have to have a bad port or something. Maybe one of the ports is registering so many errors that its causing cpu issues on the switch.

Bob Morales posted:

I've seen issues like that on slower links because we had auto-negotiate turned on for that switch port, instead of locking it at 100mb

If that is the case remove whatever equipment that is and start again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Credit processor is pissing me off right now.

There's a dumb website that some corp users use to check on double charges, charge backs etc. It's a site controlled by our client's credit processor, I asked them 1.5wks ago when I was getting ready to decom a server and move access to the site to our new servers, if they had any sort of trusted host list or anything like that. "No, any issues MUST be on your end". Well, gently caress YOU it's not working dicks and I can see my traffic hitting your equipment within our vpn.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not a point-to-point link is it, presumably the near side NTE is shutting the port down if the link is lost to give you options for detecting failures. I hope?

If there's no active gear at either end then yeah, what the gently caress.

My understanding of the circuit design is that this is dark fiber between buildings. Both buildings are on the same loop, they installed DWDM cienna gear at both ends to sell us one wavelength of light at 10GB so we can light up other waves if we need more than 10GB at some point.

The only equipment on either end should be the cienna boxes just doing a wavelength of light passoff. If its not that way, then MAYBE it goes to their downtown datacenter and back to us, so the NTE would shut the port down in that case.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Driving me nuts: Asphalt plant for a paving company has a "drop whatever the gently caress you're doing and fix it now" computer that runs the loadout software. This software backs up its data nightly to a share that is then accessed by the Accountant the next day to go over the numbers. I get a call today saying she can't see the flat file that was supposed to be there for Friday. I check the computer at the plant; no response to remote connection attempts and destination unreachable when I ping it. Fantastic. They turned the loving thing off; again. I get wanting to save electricity gents (whatever minuscule amount), but seriously don't turn that loving box off. It is important enough to pay the extra few cents per day to keep it running.

Yes I have told them multiple times that if they turn it off at the end of the day, they don't get a backup. Yet here we are.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Another thing pissing me off, project has been going for a year (I have ZERO involvement), it is now supposed to go-live in 2-3weeks, the project is a mess, there's a good portion that would probably take a month or more that hasn't even been touched yet. I mean, thanks for having faith that I can deliver on poo poo for our clients, but god drat, bring me in BEFORE the loving fire is raging out of control and we're about to die from inhalation

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This term makes me all eye twitchy. My workplace has taken to using it for everything, to the point that the word "production" doesn't even exist anymore.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MF_James posted:

Another thing pissing me off, project has been going for a year (I have ZERO involvement), it is now supposed to go-live in 2-3weeks, the project is a mess, there's a good portion that would probably take a month or more that hasn't even been touched yet. I mean, thanks for having faith that I can deliver on poo poo for our clients, but god drat, bring me in BEFORE the loving fire is raging out of control and we're about to die from inhalation

How else would they be able to dump all the blame for the failure on you?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

This term makes me all eye twitchy. My workplace has taken to using it for everything, to the point that the word "production" doesn't even exist anymore.

I think we're just going to have to suffer. All the PMs use it at my place as well.

I've been waging a passive-aggressive war against "ask", as in "what was the ask from the customer?" DO YOU MEAN QUESTION? I used to have an issue with people verbing nouns, now the windmill I'm tilting is these same people nouning verbs.

I'm also starting to wonder about our project team's competence in general. I'be seen more than one project that only defines two environments: DEV and PROD. So, we're just going to skip over UAT then? I get that you're budget conscious, but removing UAT is not where you cut costs (hint: you do that during design by deciding which features are absolutely required, which are probably best practice to include, and which are just nice to have but have no real impact on delivery)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Patch Notes - "General Improvements and Fixes"

What was improved? What was fixed?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a company that offers good laptop pricing for non-profits? The non-profit in question has unlimited licenses for Windows 7 Pro and Office, if they can get them without Windows licensing for cheaper. I know Dell just offers attractive lease terms.

They're looking for just productivity laptops, doesn't need to be anything heavy-duty for video editing or anything. Probably 15-17", looking to last at least a few years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not to completely ignore your request but would Chromebooks be a viable option? The whole Google Apps thing is more or less perfect for non-profits and device management is built into the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Not to completely ignore your request but would Chromebooks be a viable option? The whole Google Apps thing is more or less perfect for non-profits and device management is built into the platform.
It's a fair question, (to the point where I definitely thought about it when my friend was asking me), but they already have a Windows Server environment with a domain and everything set up; I think they're better off remaining consistent. They don't have a full-time IT person or anything, either, so learning Chrome would be a whole new thing.

If I were building it from scratch, yeah, I would hella go that direction.