Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Did they at least un-disable all the weapon variants after accidentally disabling them at the end of beta and then not re-enabling them for like a year even though they were apparently meant to be in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Voyager I posted:

Did they at least un-disable all the weapon variants after accidentally disabling them at the end of beta and then not re-enabling them for like a year even though they were apparently meant to be in the game?

No they are removing them completely.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Voyager I posted:

They weren't accidently disabled. The one dev who kept insisting they were in the release version just didn't knew they were removed.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but personally I doubt Frontier even knows what that even means. They stuck to their guns with power play and it's a thing that lots of people see as a pointless grind and that's after they walked back from the most heinous of things. Remember how there was only going to be 1 person as the top Power Play cmdr for each faction?

It's a lot more like they've abandoned powerplay completely until Season 3 I'm pretty sure. Admitted it's a dead feature and are not going to invest time to fixing it until then.

The biggest worry with Elite is that they do 2.1 right, maybe, overhauling the making GBS threads features they already have it what they should be doing, then they spend 2.2 2.3 and 2.4 releasing more shallow and empty game mechanics instead of adding depth, before a loving walking simulator nobody needed in 2.5.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I wonder if the Engineers is a fancy way of re-doing the Powerplay bonus weapons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sorry, I just had a moment of irony when I remembered the vitriol surrounding that game, it's development, and everything associated with it when it came out. Now it's an example of a working product...

:barf:

Sure, but that was also rather the point: this is something that eve loving Freelancer manage to do, so why on earth has the problem been allowed to persist for so long. Yes, the structure of their auto-generated missions was about as simplistic as it gets, but Elite's missions aren't really all that different. There are few more types with a few more triggers, perhaps, but it's still largely a case of “go here, make thing go boom (or similar simple trigger action)”.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Voyager I posted:

We are getting them back with the addition of other variants with the next update: overcharged weapons will be back.
However it looks like the RNG is going to get involved.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:nallears:

(So glad the 'I don't like thing' shitposters are back!)

Preemptive :ironicat:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

this is a good space game i like this space game

I can't wait to cover my anaconda with giant multicannons and i can't wait for non-poo poo missiles. I hope they include turreted C3 multicannons though. The C3 lasers, cannons and frag cannons already come turreted, so it would be dumb to leave the C3 multicannon out.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tippis posted:

:D

Ok. What I mean is that they follow very simple templates, and that they do not break down at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason.

“Go kill dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> kill him, return to base -> "Good on you, have cash.”
“Go capture dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> blow him up and pick up the pod, return to base -> “Good on you, have cash.”
“Go blow up installation; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, installation is clearly marked -> blow it up and RTB -> "Good on you, have cash.”

You fail them if you do something obviously wrong, like blow up pods and loot drops you are meant to tractor and return, not because of some hidden background flag that flips out of nowhere without explanation when you've got 2 hours left on the mission clock. The objectives are clear and the method for fulfilling them are spelled out; the objectives are marked, so you know what to actually do when you get there; the objectives actually appear in space as expected, rather than bug out half the time. If you pick a difficult mission, you get larger numbers and/or higher-levelled opponents; pick an easy one and you get fewer and lower levels.

The system is, in short, robust and logical, even if (or maybe because) the missions themselves are fairly simplistic.

And they also pay good money, scale perfectly with difficulty and the cost curve of the game. They are in the sweet spot of profitable vs difficulty and time invested at every point of the game.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So it's not the actual content then, they're still fly to X and kill this chump, or fly to X with thing. They're just more balanced and appropriately challenging.

I can get behind that, I thought there might be some secret formula or something though.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

So it's not the actual content then, they're still fly to X and kill this chump, or fly to X with thing. They're just more balanced and appropriately challenging.

I can get behind that, I thought there might be some secret formula or something though.

Oh no, nothing that fancy. Design-wise, they're very similar to what Elite has, the main difference being that… well… they work. Hence the glib response.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Urthor posted:

It's a lot more like they've abandoned powerplay completely until Season 3 I'm pretty sure. Admitted it's a dead feature and are not going to invest time to fixing it until then.

The biggest worry with Elite is that they do 2.1 right, maybe, overhauling the making GBS threads features they already have it what they should be doing, then they spend 2.2 2.3 and 2.4 releasing more shallow and empty game mechanics instead of adding depth, before a loving walking simulator nobody needed in 2.5.
We really don't need a repeat of EVE, where time and money was spent on the "walking simulator" aspect while the spaceships aspect that everyone paid for still had issues.

As I recall there was a shitstorm over that and heads rolled at CCP.

I'm fine with a walking simulator, but only if the rest of the game works.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Inverness posted:

We really don't need a repeat of EVE, where time and money was spent on the "walking simulator" aspect while the spaceships aspect that everyone paid for still had issues.

As I recall there was a shitstorm over that and heads rolled at CCP.

I'm fine with a walking simulator, but only if the rest of the game works.

Interestingly, they had built far more for Eve's walking in stations than was ever released. Why was it not released?

Because they kept building it halfway and binning it and starting over in a new engine :negative:

That's one development problem I'm glad Frontier doesn't seem to have. Now we just need to stop them abandoning features and we'll have beaten the CCP out of them :)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually my main worry for walking in Elite is that it'll be so empty. It's so rare to have more than two players in the same system, let alone the same space station bar or whatever.

Like all space games, I think there are far too many stations in inhabited systems. All it does is spread out the players so they never see each other, while adding nothing to variety...

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Strategic Tea posted:

Actually my main worry for walking in Elite is that it'll be so empty. It's so rare to have more than two players in the same system, let alone the same space station bar or whatever.

Like all space games, I think there are far too many stations in inhabited systems. All it does is spread out the players so they never see each other, while adding nothing to variety...

As long as they do NPC's well, it will not matter. Walking around a station seeing NPC's doing their thing, is what a lot of people are looking forward to. It would be cool to see players walking around doing...something. The real issue for FD is how do you make walking around a station have a point. Why would anyone do it more then once(other then to take a photo). Sure it might sound cool (and will be cool), to walk around the ring of a station and see the Star and Planets outside the station, but how does that add gameplay.

I really never understood why people want to hang out in a bar with other players instead of playing the game.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'd hope they tie stuff into it, like walking into the weapon dealers place for new guns for your ship, or getting smuggling missions at the bar.

Also didn't Braben say the end goal is for you to be able to land on a planet and go hunt small game and poo poo? I guess if that's the goal they gotta do walking around somewhere along the way and what better way to test it than having your players do it?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It does require gameplay, but I also think that with Elite, so many of us play it for the Cool Spaceman Experience rather than high octane starfighter action. So getting missions inefficiently from the space bar may hold more appeal

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 2, 2016

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. I use Elite to unwind at the end of the day, and it'd be kind of fun to have it feel less like a treadmill even if it's still a treadmill.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Stumbled across this today, Braben's 'future of development' video from during the Kickstarter. I hope we get another AMA or something with him in the near future - it's baffling to me to hear him talking about what he wants for the game, and the direction Frontier has actually gone in. Case in point, his fears regarding introducing a feature such as planetary landings here, which are pretty much exactly what's happened with them in Horizons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Akion posted:

I'd hope they tie stuff into it, like walking into the weapon dealers place for new guns for your ship, or getting smuggling missions at the bar.

Also didn't Braben say the end goal is for you to be able to land on a planet and go hunt small game and poo poo? I guess if that's the goal they gotta do walking around somewhere along the way and what better way to test it than having your players do it?

I for one hope that, rather than having cargo automatically loaded into our ships when we buy it, Frontier removes that unrealistic abstraction and instead makes us use a space forklift to drive cargo from a warehouse to our ship, a couple of canisters at a time. Don't forget to open the individual cargo rack and make sure it's not full before loading it in, or you might break the cargo!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If we're gonna strawman then I hope they increase jump range to the whole bubble and let you jump straight from your hangar to combat zones and back :nallears:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

I for one hope that, rather than having cargo automatically loaded into our ships when we buy it, Frontier removes that unrealistic abstraction and instead makes us use a space forklift to drive cargo from a warehouse to our ship, a couple of canisters at a time. Don't forget to open the individual cargo rack and make sure it's not full before loading it in, or you might break the cargo!

So edgy.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I would unironically enjoy riding the tram around the inside of the docking bay.

E: every time, even if I didn't have to

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Excuse me, Sir!
Do you have a moment to talk about Christ Roberts?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

timn posted:

I would unironically enjoy riding the tram around the inside of the docking bay.

E: every time, even if I didn't have to

Elite: Dangerous: Longshoreman

Not gonna lie I would love the hell out of that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Truga posted:

Excuse me, Sir!
Do you have a moment to talk about Christ Roberts?

I want to serve drinks on my Orca

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

magic mountain posted:

Elite: Dangerous: Longshoreman

Not gonna lie I would love the hell out of that

Having loaded freight with a forklift at one point in my life, I'll pass.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
that new planet landing engineer video is awesome

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Having loaded freight with a forklift at one point in my life, I'll pass.

Gonna pretend you're just referring to Shenmue.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Strategic Tea posted:

It does require gameplay, but I also think that with Elite, so many of us play it for the Cool Spaceman Experience rather than high octane starfighter action. So getting missions inefficiently from the space bar may hold more appeal
That sort of gets back to the question of variety. If it's the same "donate 700 credits plz" missions as before, except you have to spend two minutes walking to a space bar, everyone will hate it. I can't imagine they'll be throwing tons of resources into quirky quest-giving characters, either.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Well of course you won't have to walk to the bar for donation missions. You're going to be hassled by solicitors right off the landing pad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I don't really care about walking around a station like I'm playing Mass Effect or what have you, but I do want to see some sort of face and dialogue for the missions just to give the game some more personality. Space Rangers 2 was great for this. Almost all the missions were standard fetch/deliver/kill quests and such, but the person/alien giving you the quest would have some dialogue surrounding it that tied into the culture of their race, so getting a kill quest from the warmongering race would get you different dialogue than one from the uptight snob race or the drug dealing pirate race, and doing business between different races could get you some flavor text with one race commenting on the other, especially if there was some shady ulterior motive going on. Obviously you'd see repetition if you played enough, but it gave the game more personality. Plus, the Russian-to-English translation was just off enough that it came across like some sort of quirky space English dialect :allears:. I wish they didn't "improve" it on the re-release.

Braben: please play and immediately snatch features from Space Rangers 2.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

If we're gonna strawman then I hope they increase jump range to the whole bubble and let you jump straight from your hangar to combat zones and back :nallears:

Akion posted:

So edgy.

What are you talking about? I'm completely serious! Not all of us are hard-boiled combat pilots who want to sit around in space bars pretending that all of the randomly generated NPCs aimlessly walking around are scared of our lovingly handcrafted space badasses. As a dedicated space trucker, I want to be able to spend an entire play session just loading cargo into a Cutter in the most realistic and accurate way possible.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Main Paineframe posted:

What are you talking about? I'm completely serious! Not all of us are hard-boiled combat pilots who want to sit around in space bars pretending that all of the randomly generated NPCs aimlessly walking around are scared of our lovingly handcrafted space badasses. As a dedicated space trucker, I want to be able to spend an entire play session just loading cargo into a Cutter in the most realistic and accurate way possible.

sounds bafflingly insane.

I can understand why these men thought you were joking. Why would you load your own cargo that you just purchased? That's not how it works irl.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You need to make sure that your cargo is properly balanced so that when you are going faster than light that your tons of slaves don't get crushed by the g-forces.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to make sure that your cargo is properly balanced so that when you are going faster than light that your tons of slaves don't get crushed by the g-forces.

Nonesense, that just frees up more cargo space. Besides, the reverse G-Forces on decel will probably un-crush them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Akion posted:

Nonesense, that just frees up more cargo space. Besides, the reverse G-Forces on decel will probably un-crush them.

Now that's what I call flat pack! Space IKEA here we come!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I hate it when you get a shipment of slaves and you put everything together and there is always an extra arm leftover. WHAT IS THAT ARM FOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

(So glad the 'I don't like thing' shitposters are back!)

Preemptive :ironicat:

It's not that I don't like the game: it's that I find the game incredibly frustrating because it's so close to brilliance but stumbles over even the most basic features beyond the core gameplay of flying spaceships, which is fantastic, and it has been loving forever since we had a good space game and it's become obvious that Star Citizen is never going to happen.

It's not as bad as MWO by any stretch, but it falls into a similar vein of "almost really good game in languishing genre held back by baffling development choices / priorities".

• Locked thread