Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Hmm, sounds like now's the time to buy every version of every gun, that way you only have to 'grind' for whatever the hell legendaries are supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Drognin posted footage about how these actual numbers play out for the SMGs and Plasmas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZimQGSR26D4
Rails are probably about the same deal as what's seen for plasma in terms of comparisons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hmm, sounds like now's the time to buy every version of every gun, that way you only have to 'grind' for whatever the hell legendaries are supposed to be.
You're still going to be able to sell and buy scrap and forge parts for robopoints robits, so in theory it doesn't make any difference unless the conversion rates are uneven somewhere, and we won't know that unless they give us the numbers before it happens.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
TF2 crafting style confirmed

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So it looks like functional items are entirely white or green and everything above that is cosmetic? That's more or less what i was expecting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
God drat, Freejam really don't gently caress around when it comes to revamping this game.

Been a long time since I last played, I just keep peeking at this topic periodically and going all :stare: at all the new poo poo.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nordick posted:

God drat, Freejam really don't gently caress around when it comes to revamping this game.

Been a long time since I last played, I just keep peeking at this topic periodically and going all :stare: at all the new poo poo.

Now if they'd only put that enthusiasm towards glitches and cheats. I had one game where I caused a guy to rage hack after shotgunning off his legs and weapons. He sat there for a few seconds before my whole team exploded at once with his name as the killer.

Then I had two games with the ghost glitch.

Then another game with half the enemy team consisting of high-rank ladder players.

Yeesh, what a rough night.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

They do, but only to the easy to fix ones that happen to also be tons of fun (i.e. the 32-tier-1-tread-glitch that allowed you to make a tank that went at 220mph.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of, I decided to try the game again after watching Crossout vids of dudes ramming people with rocket powered cars aaand....Teslas are still pretty much useless for a land gimmick. :effort:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Speaking of, I decided to try the game again after watching Crossout vids of dudes ramming people with rocket powered cars aaand....Teslas are still pretty much useless for a land gimmick. :effort:

They may or may not be useful this next patch, their hitboxes are being made more effective. They just aren't as efficient because of the new shotgun.

Patch Notes are up, release tomorrow.

This game has swung from World of Tanks to TF2 in terms of gameplay and credit systems, this will be the last "major" core change as they shift towards officially releasing the game.

I feel the game is on the edge of greatness, it just needs some balance tweeks and a functioning social system.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thor-Stryker posted:

They may or may not be useful this next patch, their hitboxes are being made more effective. They just aren't as efficient because of the new shotgun.

Patch Notes are up, release tomorrow.

This game has swung from World of Tanks to TF2 in terms of gameplay and credit systems, this will be the last "major" core change as they shift towards officially releasing the game.

I feel the game is on the edge of greatness, it just needs some balance tweeks and a functioning social system.

...and a competent matchmaker, or competent players; I'd be fine with either

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

...and a competent matchmaker, or competent players; I'd be fine with either

What, you don't like the teammate who sits right behind you, watches as you get obliterated by a helicopter right above you, and continues on as if they never saw it happen?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Since all the lovely versions of shields are being turned into the Good versions of shields, I think I'll buy a bunch of them and wait for the free upgrade.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Denzine posted:

Since all the lovely versions of shields are being turned into the Good versions of shields, I think I'll buy a bunch of them and wait for the free upgrade.

Everyone should do this for all tiers of guns as well.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I just realized that with CPU based matchmaking those little PSK and 4 hover shitbots are going to be put in the lowest tier games with complete newbies. FreeJam is going to kill their own game by driving away newbies with the weapon that was supposed to help newbies :ironicat:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sudo Echo posted:

I just realized that with CPU based matchmaking those little PSK and 4 hover shitbots are going to be put in the lowest tier games with complete newbies. FreeJam is going to kill their own game by driving away newbies with the weapon that was supposed to help newbies :ironicat:

They have a skill rank as well, so elite players will less likely be put with newbs. Not that it really matters since all weapons are equal now and 90% of the players at Max CPU are still poo poo, so you'll get a similar experience anyways.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think fragile speedsters are even less useful now (at least at low levels). That tier 1 SMG is a nightmare to get anywhere in firing range, let alone fight.

Teslas are still pretty lame. They open and close now (did they do that before the patch?) so you can lower their hitbox a bit before you get close to an enemy, but that's offset by the new SMG's just wrecking them instantly.

Plasma bombers are now actually pretty great on land units; the tier 1's fire really fast, are easy to aim, and landing them just wrecks a bot something fierce. It feels really satisfying to shotgun someone now.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Balance is pretty hosed up. Matchmaking is all over the place.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

Nothing about the protoseeker's conception makes sense to me. Oh, we want to include a new weapon that'll be easy for 8-10 year olds to use? Let's put it at the end of the game where only the people who have levelled up to 100 will be able to grab it.

SMGs are awful; the only thing they seem to be good at now is precision striking of enemy components - which, while I can respect that, the railgun still does that way better. I think the block health buff hosed with them the most.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bluhman posted:

SMGs are awful; the only thing they seem to be good at now is precision striking of enemy components - which, while I can respect that, the railgun still does that way better. I think the block health buff hosed with them the most.

Yeah, the railguns been overpowered for a while now, its one thing to boost damage, its another to remove reload times and crosshair bloom. For the longest time railgun was useless because it's dps was like 1/20th of SMGs, then they swung it in the other direction and now its the most efficient.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 29, 2016

Sair
May 11, 2007

This drop system/recycling junk seems way more annoying than just getting money and buying the poo poo I want.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Newbies are completely hosed. There's no way to start playing this game and actually feel like you've done anything or have any way to get anywhere.

Premium is a ripoff and 5 bucks for 12 crates is an even bigger waste of money.

rip in piss.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Denzine posted:

Newbies are completely hosed. There's no way to start playing this game and actually feel like you've done anything or have any way to get anywhere.

Premium is a ripoff and 5 bucks for 12 crates is an even bigger waste of money.

rip in piss.

See the model works for TF2, since you only need like 1 or 2 items to change how your class plays mostly.

A functional bot needs like 4 of the pieces you can randomly get, but it always only gives you one. One wheel, one SMG, one half of a mask, one rotor, etc. You can't build crap with that. You can't even feasibly grind up with that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It also doesn't help that they didn't add any new parts to circulation with this update either, so everyone who stockpiled every piece before the patch has virtually zero non-cosmetic attachment to the system.

I didn't because I figured the conversion rate would be sane....I was able to buy two smallest plasmas with my converted robits. Admittedly they did make each tier more useful, but I could buy every tier plasma before.

And the recycle rate is pretty rough; on average you will get 20-30 robits per item from the chest, so a newbie can afford a single small gun of their choice after 15 games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hadn't played a match in a month or two, so figured I'd check out the new update. Used one of my quincopter plasma bombers in Battle Arena, and even being rusty I still had the second-highest score on my team when we won. Things didn't feel as different as I expected, and I still have a ridiculous amount of parts and resources available to me. Next I think I am going to take one of my older, more basic quincopters into a match (one with less than 1000 CPU) and see how much damage I can cause.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

This update is an unmitigated disaster. I'm out. FreeJam has their heads up their rear end if they thought anyone would enjoy this system. I could write a big carepost about why it's awful but this game doesn't even deserve that.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Pretty sure 80% of my deaths now are from vehicles just big enough to support a shotgun.

The other 20% are from mechs with shotguns.

Fun! When do they get nerfed?

Earlier I saw a guy with I think a three piece vehicle. A single hover, with a jet for propulsion underneath and a single SPK on top. Nothing else, all it did was zip around acting like a DOT on whoever was nearby. I was driving my tank with 6 big lasers on it, and could not hit him at all.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Protosquitos are awful and can only be countered with another PSK effectively.

The current dynamic of the game actually is better for the shotguns than they were before, because now they can feasibly be shot off before they get into range with weapons. However, that's what the stealth combo is for, one, and two, its ability to kill is way more consistent than literally any other weapon in the game, period.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Earlier I saw a guy with I think a three piece vehicle. A single hover, with a jet for propulsion underneath and a single SPK on top. Nothing else, all it did was zip around acting like a DOT on whoever was nearby. I was driving my tank with 6 big lasers on it, and could not hit him at all.
[/quote]

Just keep in mind that nothing is hitscan anymore, so be sure to lead.

On a personal note, I discovered that the t11 smg is pretty good at counter-sniping railbots.

As far as the new loot system: it's great if your already have a set of every part, I'm getting epic and legendary items every other game, earning random parts way faster than the costs of the old system.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The worst thing about protosquitos is that it basically punishes light builds; you simply cannot avoid proto damage once they find you. It basically means people without Proto's themselves (and they cost a ton) are confined to heavy block builds.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My healing car had to have things changed around a lot, thanks to this.

The max healer (tier3) now takes 12power per shot, so after 8 quick zaps, you are drained. But the lowest tier takes 0 power. So what I have is four tier3's that I use to quickly heal, and once I run out of power in a few seconds, switch to a backup array of six tier0's, which fire for free until my power comes back. This vehicle gets my sole Power Core thing to speed that up.

Kind of weird swapping between heals. But it works, I always get top healing on the team, and am always in the top three for score.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ravendas posted:

My healing car had to have things changed around a lot, thanks to this.

The max healer (tier3) now takes 12power per shot, so after 8 quick zaps, you are drained. But the lowest tier takes 0 power. So what I have is four tier3's that I use to quickly heal, and once I run out of power in a few seconds, switch to a backup array of six tier0's, which fire for free until my power comes back. This vehicle gets my sole Power Core thing to speed that up.

Kind of weird swapping between heals. But it works, I always get top healing on the team, and am always in the top three for score.

The weapon balancing (besides teslas, small SMG's, and protoseeker) are easily the most positive change this patch; the last time I stopped playing a chunky tank with a hidden healer with a strong healgun could basically take out half the team alone. This sounds better where a healer + tanky blaster still beats 2 bots, but it cant eat through everything forever.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Holy poo poo, how have I never heard of this game? I literally found it doing a random forum browse and laughed at the title because I enjoy WoT. How intense is this game?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

RanKizama posted:

How intense is this game?
Not very, combat is pretty casual. It does take some time and trial and error to get a design perfected, so it can be a little intense in that way.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

taqueso posted:

Not very, combat is pretty casual. It does take some time and trial and error to get a design perfected, so it can be a little intense in that way.
If this game is basically digital K*Nex with multiplayer battles then this sounds goddamn amazing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

RanKizama posted:

If this game is basically digital K*Nex with multiplayer battles then this sounds goddamn amazing.

That it pretty much is. You build a bot out of blocks however you want, then you pit it in multiplayer against other player built blocks. It's actually pretty robust in weapon designs, all weapons see use each match.

What has changed is the fact the thread title is no longer accurate, the developers first incantation of the game closely mimicked WoT with Tier levels, One-Life Team DM, Spotting, and Tank Sales tactics.
Now the game is wholly unique: its a arcadey robot-tank shooter with TF2 style reward system and 3-Capture Point gameplay. I'll probably start a new thread or update the title as soon as it reaches beta status. The game isn't popular with goons as it is with everyone else, it still has 5,000-15,000 players a day during the week.

Most goons that still play are fully kitted out with multiple robots, so let us know how the newbie experience is because it was wildly different for us when we leveled.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Turns out, at least from other players who decided to test alt accounts and how the low-level experience was, were pleasantly surprised. Probably the best thing is that none of the toxic bullshit weapons like the instadeath shotgun or auto-aim DoT show up early-game. Mostly it's just using the starting bots you got to the fullest and/or recombining them effectively.

Only thing that isn't super nice is that there isn't much room for being fanciful or having a cool looking bot in the current metagame, especially later on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP artbots. :(

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

As a new player what I currently see are buzzsaw lawnmower's (tiny fast tesla robots) , anti air cannons that seem to one shot most starting designs, and lots of flyers.

The lawnmower's and flyers feel only slightly unfair, but can be mitigated against by terrain. The one shot anti air guns are just not fun however.

Apart from that I am enjoying making robots and slamming them into other robots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bluhman posted:

Turns out, at least from other players who decided to test alt accounts and how the low-level experience was, were pleasantly surprised. Probably the best thing is that none of the toxic bullshit weapons like the instadeath shotgun or auto-aim DoT show up early-game. Mostly it's just using the starting bots you got to the fullest and/or recombining them effectively.

Only thing that isn't super nice is that there isn't much room for being fanciful or having a cool looking bot in the current metagame, especially later on.

Is MM influenced by level? Because I feel like it's impossible to make a bot cheap enough to avoid shitguns and homing lasers. Good on them for recognizing that new players aren't going to deal with that. Bad on them for not realizing old players don't want to deal with that.

With crazy shotguns what's even the point of the blades. They're easier to knock off and lower range and unreliable for damage. They aren''t even a second weapon you can use at the same time anymore. I've been spoiled by that one period when midsize hoverbots managed to get past the Slow As poo poo speed limit.

• Locked thread