Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So why is it that all the Jojos (or jojo bodies) get really similar Stands (The World, Star Platinum, Crazy Diamond, SF) that just punch each other a lot and Joseph gets lovely Vines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Thumbtacks posted:

So why is it that all the Jojos (or jojo bodies) get really similar Stands (The World, Star Platinum, Crazy Diamond, SF) that just punch each other a lot and Joseph gets lovely Vines

Cheaters never prosper.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

There's not really a lot of 'hosed up poo poo' that airs on Japanese TV at any hour.

I mean there is but those are usually the shows that get censorship steam/shadows covering 90% of the screen.
Also: Reminder that Stardust Crusaders gratuitously censored the smoking of cigarettes with conspicuous shadows

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a theory that Hermit Purple is the endpoint of Hamon seeing as how Jonathan and Joseph both have it. It's not a bad idea, seeing as how HP is basically infinite rope and is a perfect conduit for Hamon. Personally, I think it's more that Joseph is way less direct about fights than his descendants so he got a stand that enables his antics rather than channels his lackluster natural fighting prowess.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe it's just me but I'm not really seeing a lot of poo poo's hosed up in 'it's a raunchy late-night sitcom only the girls are harpies (literal) and stuff'.

That's some p. impressive downplaying of how much of a shitshow that show was

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a theory that Hermit Purple is the endpoint of Hamon seeing as how Jonathan and Joseph both have it. It's not a bad idea, seeing as how HP is basically infinite rope and is a perfect conduit for Hamon. Personally, I think it's more that Joseph is way less direct about fights than his descendants so he got a stand that enables his antics rather than channels his lackluster natural fighting prowess.

That's sort of what I was thinking, it does seem like a fusion of stands and Hamon.

I'm guessing we're in for a LOT of oraora variants in the future, then

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Thumbtacks posted:

lovely vines for a lovely boy

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

I mean there is but those are usually the shows that get censorship steam/shadows covering 90% of the screen.
Also: Reminder that Stardust Crusaders gratuitously censored the smoking of cigarettes with conspicuous shadows

Okuyasu and Josuke would fit right into Cromartie High School

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Dire is a powerful and honorable hamon warrior whose battle techniques combine attack and defense. Please be respectful to him.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Dire accomplished more with his life than Caesar.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

Wasn't that solely because Jotaro was under the legal smoking age?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The fact that Dire's dying line wasn't translated as "Every rose has its thorn" is a goddamn travesty.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Daxing Dan posted:

Dire accomplished more with his life than Caesar.

Joseph's fight with Wammu should have been set up so that halfway through he had to swallow his pride and take the antidote or he'd run out of time, instead of just beating Wammu anyway, so that Caesar's sacrifice actually meant something instead of being totally pointless. Joseph still gets to get every kill that actually matters, so you don't even have to change that much in the story, but both he and the reader know that he couldn't have done it without Caesar.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Enourmo posted:

The fact that Dire's dying line wasn't translated as "Every rose has its thorn" is a goddamn travesty.

But... It does in the Crunchyroll subtitles I've been watching? :confused:

E: Has anyone made parody fan art of Jojo where they fight using ham sandwiches? Because that's all I can think about whenever someone talks about using Hamon powers and it amuses me.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: Has anyone made parody fan art of Jojo where they fight using ham sandwiches? Because that's all I can think about whenever someone talks about using Hamon powers and it amuses me.

Nah thats dumb.

Thumbtacks posted:

Jon, Jotaro, and Josuke all punch people in the face. Joe is more tricky and roundabout (ha) about most of his personal fighting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thumbtacks posted:

The World isn't Jonathan's stand, he got lovely vines too

mr. stefan posted:

That's some p. impressive downplaying of how much of a shitshow that show was

It's literally every dumb harem show you've ever seen with monster girls

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
the vines aren't lovely!! they're really good

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I Am Melting Down

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What if I told you they're bad but Joseph would be OP in Part 2 with them

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sandwiches? No no no, beating vampires over the head with delicious Spanish cured pork products using the power of Jamón

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Dio should've yelled out "I've been kissed by a rose!!!" after he got the scratch as a shout out to the greatest musician of all time, Seal.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
String Stand is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

String Stand is good

You're biased.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

In Training posted:

You're biased.

Still right tho

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Archenteron posted:

Sandwiches? No no no, beating vampires over the head with delicious Spanish cured pork products using the power of Jamón

Great Scott, you're right! It's brilliant!

Jojo's Bizarre Ham-ventures.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

well then link me to Dark Crunchyroll with its Good Subtitles cause

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alternatively you could be a cool guy and watch the dub

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

joseph was never the type to rapidly punch people so giving him a stand that did that would be wildly out of character. that's all there is to it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Joseph's always been more about outsmarting and outmaneuvering his opponents than besting them through feats of strength.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Or just plain dumb luck

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
To be fair those are also tactics all the later JoJos use. They just use them with the specific end goal of punching them a lot, which Joseph never did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Listen the only time Jotaro used dumb luck was when he punched open a gondola and it turned out his opponent was weak to water, otherwise he's a perfect human being.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joseph and polnareff defeated two of dio's closest stand users and had zero idea they were in any danger for the entirity of the events.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

joseph and polnareff defeated two of dio's closest stand users and had zero idea they were in any danger for the entirity of the events.

This says more about the competence of Oingo and Boingo than anything else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WrightOfWay posted:

This says more about the competence of Oingo and Boingo than anything else.

They still came closer to killing Polnareff than Alessi.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JOHN CENA posted:

This should tell you how powerful Polnareff is

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Enourmo posted:

well then link me to Dark Crunchyroll with its Good Subtitles cause

I dunno, I thought it said that. Oh well.

I feel like their subtitles skip over some things, though. Like I definitely hear Dio saying "Dio" in his speeches but it doesn't show up in the subtitles. No "It was me, Dio!" lines or anything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Not gonna lie, I completely forgot who Dire was and had to look him up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Augus posted:

Not gonna lie, I completely forgot who Dire was and had to look him up.

Do you remember Wired Beck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember wired beck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqcd-Toz3Cw

• Locked thread