Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I still like the Lie backouts but wouldn't mind in the slightest if they became bonus videos or got stuck just before/after the lectures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, Cole accusing people he's literally just met of lying is kind of chalky in terms of the videos.

My suggestion: Make a bonus video of Cole's nutty theories, because they can get pretty entertaining if you take the perspective of the person Cole is interviewing.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

A White Guy posted:

they can get pretty entertaining if you take the perspective of the person Cole is interviewing.

Look, he's just doing his job.
You understand that.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dooky Dingo posted:

You understand that.

You never find out who the killer is if you don't blindly accuse every single person of the murder! I'm surprised Cole isn't reflexively shouting GAS CHAMBER at his partner when he asks for advice :v:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dooky Dingo posted:

You understand that.

BULLSHIT! YOU KILLED THE DRIVER WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AND THE BARTENDER WAS IN ON IT! NOW TELL ME WHERE THE LAUNCH CODES MURDER WEAPON IS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNV61Rpo-0

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

A White Guy posted:

BULLSHIT! YOU KILLED THE DRIVER WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AND THE BARTENDER WAS IN ON IT! NOW TELL ME WHERE THE LAUNCH CODES MURDER WEAPON IS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNV61Rpo-0

You can't prove that I was the Atlas Bar between midnight and 12:15, can you?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The baseless Lie accusations are hilarious, leave them in.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shieldhill posted:

The baseless Lie accusations are hilarious, leave them in.

It was funny at first but now it's grating, please keep them separate.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

apostateCourier posted:

It was funny at first but now it's grating, please keep them separate.

Personally, I like the lies, but I wouldn't mind them in an 'rear end in a top hat Cole' section between the lp and the review.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yes, lies could work in a short cut after the main case, going from one to another without any pauses or menu fiddling. A minute or two of raging Phelps with the most insane theory and apology at the end.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I don't really think separating them out is worth making Bobbin Threadbare do more editing work. The crazy ones are gems, and the generic ones are annoying at worst, so I don't think its a big deal. The generic ones can be easily ignored, even though they do ruin the pacing a bit.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Keep them in, they're great. I mean, yeah I guess if there's a ton of them and it adds a whole lot of length to the video skip em but keep as many in as you can.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Youtube comments have already beaten you guys to the punch, and so I've already arranged for a compromise: I'll be picking the Lie options sometimes, but not nearly as often as I have up to this point. With that in mind, if any of you want to recommend particularly out-there Lie branchings for future cases, I will greatly appreciate hearing about them. The one that was posted already doesn't count because that's actually the correct choice for that conversation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
BTW Bobbin, I've been watching your Alpha Protocol LP over the past week. It's pretty great, I didn't even realize you'd made one until I started browsing through your channel.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish some of these insane allegations of Cole's were actual cases.

e: also, Bobbin, you should drive around the city a little more! It's a gorgeous town, though with the length of these cases i'm not surprised you've been cutting it out.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aw, you missed one of my favorite Bekowski interactions due to the auto-drive; one of the more annoying aspects of this game is the fact that not all of the conversations play if you don't drive yourself. This one is after stopping Harrison, after Bekowski's burn on politicians:

LA Noire posted:

Phelps: The paperwork all looked above board, and he seemed like a clean cut kid.
Bekowski: Oh, I get it now. You see some kid who's basically you 5 years ago and assume he's gotta be innocent.
Phelps: I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.
Bekowski: Hey, if he'd been Black or Hispanic, you'd be singing a different tune. You spout all this communist crap about treating everybody the same, but it only works one way.
Phelps: I'm not sure that's communism, Stefan.
Bekowski: Oh god, please. Not another history lesson from the man who single handedly won the war.
Phelps: Are you finished?
Bekowski: Yes, I feel much better now. We'll shake down the car dealer, and take it from there. Unless his daddy plays golf with yours, of course, in which case, we'll give him a firm gentleman's handshake and be on our way.
Phelps: See, I knew you weren't finished.

Oh, Bekowski. :allears:

But, yeah, this case... this one is just riddled with the same bizzarro-logic that nearly killed adventure games for good; you have to go everywhere in a certain order and get certain questions exactly right if you want to five star it. You have to present the exact piece of incriminating evidence in order to correctly get the question right, and you can get many questions wrong by presenting another incriminating piece of evidence, with the slips from Archer and Belasco being a good example (both of them have the bogus address on it, but only one works in either case). The interviews of both of those people is difficult as well, because they always look shifty and you never get a sense of their truth face, or whether something's a doubt or a lie. And to make matters worse, most of this doesn't even matter; the only thing that make you pass or fail this case is if your able to finger Leitvol, in the "Deliveries to Industrial St." question. As a result, I find it the most disappointing of all the DLC cases, even if some of the dialogue is golden as mentioned.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 2, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Why does everyone assume that Jean is a man's name? It's gender neutral, and I'm sure it was back in the 40's as well.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

berryjon posted:

Why does everyone assume that Jean is a man's name? It's gender neutral, and I'm sure it was back in the 40's as well.

Because it is of French origin and is distinctly male? The common female version would be Jeanne. Then again, this is a world where noone bats an eyelid at a woman being named Clovis.

Incidentally, the warehouse fight is one of the strongest examples of the aforementioned "shoehorned action sequences": two detectives recklessly storm a workshop full of armed thugs without any backup, and all the thugs implausibly fight to the death.

Edit: so, the hint at the end was fairly obvious:

Fun fact: even though the real set was demolished in 1919, the L.A. Noire version is still around in 1947. Perhaps some developer had a special fascination for it and lobbied for its inclusion?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kopijeger posted:

Because it is of French origin and is distinctly male? The common female version would be Jeanne. Then again, this is a world where noone bats an eyelid at a woman being named Clovis.

She may have died in the 30s but Jean Harlow alone probably sticks out in people's thoughts.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Printing company: 4:13PM
Warehouses: 4:17PM

Efficiency!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

Printing company: 4:13PM
Warehouses: 4:17PM

Efficiency!

Could be the exact opposite of efficiency. After all, there is no indication of the date.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I feel that Bekowski, or at least his family might have got hosed over by some political tape since he has a Polish family. It makes me wonder if he had to fight against any bigotry along those lines or not. He certainly has a chip on his shoulder for dishonest people or even shysters of every sort, it seems an especially sore point for him more than it would most people.

Also holy gently caress wow Phelps got super nasty on Belasco with taking him round back, what the hell is wrong with you? I think this was the case that made me dislike Phelps for having all the subtlety of a flamethrower when he had no reason to be that much of a prick. Shame you didn't shoot down the engine during the autoshop shoot-out, cuz that's always fun as hell and that's an achievement-worthy action.

The only James Cagney movie I've ever seen was Angels with Dirty Faces which I enjoyed a lot on late-night TV. I never saw White Heat but I know it was the movie that essentially brought him to world stardom. I had no idea he was such a varied actor.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Kopijeger posted:

Incidentally, the warehouse fight is one of the strongest examples of the aforementioned "shoehorned action sequences": two detectives recklessly storm a workshop full of armed thugs without any backup, and all the thugs implausibly fight to the death.

Oh, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Oh, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

God, Vice Desk is real bad.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

someone please make a gif of leitvol's open gaping mouth as he stares off camera at 27:30

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

fool_of_sound posted:

Everything about Vice is loving terrible, god I can't wait until we poo poo all over the people you meet in that, but not yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

The Black Ceasar is the worst mission in the entire game, but we'll get there I guess.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oddly enough, the department that deals with some of the worst elements of Los Angeles on a regular basis isn't filled with the most well adjusted individuals. Being surrounded by so much corruption and antisocial behaviour really allows Cole's contempt for humanity to shine though as well, your partner for this desk is also arguably one of the best characters in the game.

We've got plenty of character development to go before we get there though.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 3, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Kopijeger posted:

Because it is of French origin and is distinctly male? The common female version would be Jeanne.

In Francophone places, sure. It's also a Scottish equivalent of Jane, and in English-speaking countries I'm pretty sure it's consistently been more popular as a female name. In fact Jean Archer would have been born near peak popularity in the US.

Also every time Cole has a psycho interrogation flipout I can't help but think:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
A little stream of consciousness on this episode: The used car dealer was amazing. And he used one of my favorite comparisions, "sharp as a bag of wet mice", a phrase I use in person. Sharp as a bowling ball. He's loving hilarious, and I can't help but think of him as his character on Psych, just before he become a coroner. Seriously. That man.

Also Bekowski and Phelps talking about women is loving hilarious.

Also that first lie accusation. When it cuts back to Leitvol with his mouth agape at Cole. I feel like that reaction should be more prevalent.

And man, Cole is gonna need to have a suit dry cleaned. Also it's really Biglow's complacency and Jean Archer's greed that got them screwed. If they picked their drivers better, or their drivers had enough sense to get an attorney, they might've come out okay.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SpookyLizard posted:

A little stream of consciousness on this episode: The used car dealer was amazing. And he used one of my favorite comparisions, "sharp as a bag of wet mice", a phrase I use in person. Sharp as a bowling ball. He's loving hilarious, and I can't help but think of him as his character on Psych, just before he become a coroner. Seriously. That man.

Also Bekowski and Phelps talking about women is loving hilarious.

Also that first lie accusation. When it cuts back to Leitvol with his mouth agape at Cole. I feel like that reaction should be more prevalent.

And man, Cole is gonna need to have a suit dry cleaned. Also it's really Biglow's complacency and Jean Archer's greed that got them screwed. If they picked their drivers better, or their drivers had enough sense to get an attorney, they might've come out okay.

People are often okay if they have enough sense to get an attourney before they talk to the police. The criminals who get caught on low-level crime aren't usually very resourceful individuals, and I'd estimate that the cops get their convictions on those cases from unintenional confessions or admissions of guilt at least 80% of the time, and the small fry that don't bite are let go. Bigger crimes are the same way, but they usually also throw money and manhours at that until they can bring a good case, in which case it's usually time for damage control (sentence mitigation).

Don't talk to the police, people. The right of protection from self-incrimination is a wonderful thing, so don't throw it away the first chance you get.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

SpookyLizard posted:

They cribbed a few of those lines from Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, I say.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another thing: at the beginning of the case, our dynamic duo banter about the Black Dahlia murder. The body was discovered on the 15th of January 1947, so presumably this case takes place not long after that.

On a completely different note, it occurred to me that there are no police characters with obvious African ancestry in the game. I checked to see if they were excluded from the LAPD in this period, and it appears that they weren't, but they were segregated from the Euro-Americans. Presumably they would have been posted to one of the stations that would be outside the game map, but it could have added interesting period detail if they occasionally appeared as NPCs (for example, having them appear as patrol officers in a "black" neighbourhood, like the "Black Caesar" case) and interacted with Phelps and partners in whatever the period-appropriate fashion would be.

SolarFire2 posted:

They cribbed a few of those lines from Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, I say.

The "silly walk" is probably something taken from the pop culture of the era, no clue about the original source though.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 3, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What I'm wondering is where all the Asian-Americans are. I don't seem to recall meeting any Asian-descent characters of any sort in any of the cases. Even the Japanese on Okinawa are mostly an off-camera menace.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe they were lying low? I mean, the war was just 2 years ago.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What I'm wondering is where all the Asian-Americans are. I don't seem to recall meeting any Asian-descent characters of any sort in any of the cases. Even the Japanese on Okinawa are mostly an off-camera menace.

Our hero has cause to visit the Asian-american operated Superior Laundry twice during the game. Also, there is the referred-to but never seen miss Okamoto in the Nicholson Electroplating case.

http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Chin_Wong
http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Tan_Do
http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Tomoko_Okamoto

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 3, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe they were lying low? I mean, the war was just 2 years ago.

Most likely. I mean, historically, the last internment camp closed just last year, possibly a matter of months from in-game time. Most of those poor fellows couldn't move back to where they were after the war (there was a ton of lovely picketing against them, don't you know), so many of them were scattered throughout the country to wherever they weren't run out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There were also some laws in place that made it difficult for Japanese people to own any building that was built pre-war, if I'm reading my sources right. And they were forced to sell off their property when they were moved into the camps unless they could find someone to hold it for them while they were away. And the IRS destroyed the 39-42 tax records of most of the detainees so there was no proof of their previous net worth, making reparations difficult to impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurieg posted:

And the IRS destroyed the 39-42 tax records of most of the detainees so there was no proof of their previous net worth, making reparations difficult to impossible.

Why would they do that? Just sounds needlessly vindictive. Hell, it sounds like a law enforcement nightmare- if any of them were on Hirohito's take, then surely comparing the tax records to other things (like shopping purchases and transaction records) would make it easier to prosecute them.

• Locked thread