Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/5560593228.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:cawg:

Meanwhile, click here to learn why billionaire Carl Icahn just dumped every share he has in Apple.

I like this bit:

quote:

Icahn said he called Tim Cook, Apple's chief executive, to alert him to the news. "He seemed sort of sad to hear that," Icahn said.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wheany posted:

First: be born to rich parents

Seriously, nepotism is like 50% of it. Going by the last 5 years of CEO fuckups, you can gently caress up an unmeasurable number of CEO positions and still somehow get hired at another fortune 500 company because your friends are members of the board.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can gently caress up a lot of jobs a number of times and still get another one.

Not sure if this is Unicorn proper, but you know that it's the thinking that feeds them:

a poem from quora questions posted:

Why do so many startups fail?
Why are all the hosts on CouchSurfing male?
Are we going to be tweeting for the rest of our lives?
Why do Silicon Valley billionaires choose average-looking wives?

[...]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

axeil posted:

If they can run out the clock on that until we have autonomous self-driving cars they'll have won. The drivers are merely a transitional step, like how Netflix's ultimate goal was streaming but had to do DVD by mail for its first few years of existence as the technology wasn't ready yet.

Yeah, and if he just survives to be the last man on the planet, surely someone will touch that fat nerd in the corner's peen.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/29/handcuffed-to-uber/ why a lot of Uber employees (Not pseudo contractors) are rather hosed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughlander posted:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/29/handcuffed-to-uber/ why a lot of Uber employees (Not pseudo contractors) are rather hosed.

Pinterest did a good thing there, making that option exercise timeline years long.

But from the article:

quote:

There was “no pop,” says one longtime Uber employee who asked not to be named. “Uber doesn’t want everyone in the deal” because, unlike Facebook, “it wants a spike” when it finally has its public market debut.

This is the dumbest thing. If a stock goes from 100 to 150 right after IPO, the company left a ton of money on the table, giving it to speculators instead. A pop is a sign of a mis-priced IPO.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Isn't it about time for Uber to run another fundraising round? The last leaked investor financial sheet showed a burn rate so high that they would have run through half of their $2B round from January by now.

If that article is right and Bill Gurley's rant is actually an indication of inside information that Uber accepted dirty terms on the last fundraising round things could get rather interesting with VC tightening up. I don't think a company as egotistical as Uber would take a down round with grace.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's pretty impressive how Uber keeps coming up with ways to be terrible.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Pinterest did a good thing there, making that option exercise timeline years long.

But from the article:

This is the dumbest thing. If a stock goes from 100 to 150 right after IPO, the company left a ton of money on the table, giving it to speculators instead. A pop is a sign of a mis-priced IPO.

Literally the only thing I can think is that they see the writing on the wall and hope to massively inflate the value of the stock at the ipo and bail two weeks later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bushiz posted:

Literally the only thing I can think is that they see the writing on the wall and hope to massively inflate the value of the stock at the ipo and bail two weeks later.

Except employees will be locked up for 6 months after IPO.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Except employees will be locked up for 6 months after IPO.

Can't make obscene profits if you let everybody get out while the getting's good, now can you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uber forced to admit that discrimination against the blind is illegal even when you're disruptive:

San Francisco Chronicle posted:

Uber is settling a discrimination suit by blind passengers with an agreement to carry the passengers’ guide dogs in their vehicles and to fire drivers who refuse, advocates for the blind said over the weekend.

The suit, filed by the National Federation of the Blind in September 2014, said many Uber drivers have refused to take passengers with dogs.

For example, the suit said, one Uber driver agreed by phone to take two passengers to a home in Menlo Park, but when he arrived and saw a guide dog, he shouted, “No dogs,” and sped away. Another driver locked a Sacramento passenger’s guide dog in the trunk, the suit said, and Uber tried to charge cancellation fees to some blind passengers after its drivers refused to transport them.

Uber denied discriminating and said it had a policy of accommodating passengers with disabilities. Uber also argued that, as a ride-hailing service that merely connects drivers and passengers, it wasn’t covered by laws that require taxis and other transportation services to carry a disabled passenger’s service animal.

But a federal magistrate in San Francisco refused to dismiss the suit last year, leading to a settlement before the case was scheduled for trial. With court approval, it will be the first nationwide settlement of a disability suit against such a company, advocates said.

The agreement announced Saturday requires Uber to tell drivers about their obligation to carry guide dogs, the advocacy groups said. They said Uber will also be required to dismiss any driver who knowingly violates that policy a single time, or violates it for any reason more than once.

Uber will also pay the plaintiffs’ legal fees, in an amount yet to be determined.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Exciting news in the field of Marissa Mayer's severance

Ars Technica posted:

On Friday, the company disclosed the packages that will be available to key executives if they are ousted in the event of a sale. Mayer will be paid $54.8 million in cash and stock if she's removed from her job within a year of a sale.
Like a sold-gold albatross around your neck that you cant get rid of for 366 days

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

walgreenslatino posted:

Like a sold-gold albatross around your neck that you cant get rid of for 366 days

These parachute contracts are so preposterous that they should be banned to save companies from themselves.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

walgreenslatino posted:

Even better

quote:

The fact that Yahoo's financial situation has gotten worse during Mayer's tenure will make her pay package a controversial issue. Yahoo shares dropped 34 percent in 2015, while Mayer made $14 million. (She would have earned nearly $36 million if shares had risen.)
Her salary in 2015 was 14m and that was like her worst case income for the year. 'Oh the company lost 1/3 of its value this year? Well then you must suffer the wrath of only making 14m dollars! The investors have spoken!'.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Hughlander posted:

A 40% tax rate on my 300 million dollars, the horror.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sbaldrick posted:

Well, a 40% tax rate on that money that the spreadsheet says I'm worth but who the gently caress knows, and also I'm a regular old software engineer and I barely make the payments on my condo is more accurate.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

a foolish pianist posted:

Well, a 40% tax rate on that money that the spreadsheet says I'm worth but who the gently caress knows, and also I'm a regular old software engineer and I barely make the payments on my condo is more accurate.

You take out a loan against the shares, leave and sell. Enjoy your money.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

You take out a loan against the shares, leave and sell. Enjoy your money.

Except Uber prohibits taking loans against the shares.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Y'all acting like you never heard of marginal taxation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

Y'all acting like you never heard of marginal taxation

well like 99.5% of the payout would be at the highest tax rate anyway

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

RandomPauI posted:

If I have shares and don't work for Uber anymore, Uber can suck it. I imagine a small fraction of the $300mm can be used to write a compelling legal case that shows such an arrangement is none of Uber's business.

Also, we do have a broken tax system if we are levying millions in taxes on people who only have paper gains.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

If you don't work for Uber, you probably don't have the shares. I'm assuming they have the normal 4 year option vesting schedule with 90 day exercise window. The company has only been around since 2009, so the latest you could have joined and be fully vested right now is 2012, when they had about 15 real employees, according to Wired. So barring somebody who got an obscene grant and then bolted immediately, which is likely a vanishingly small group, the only people who are going to be paper millionaires in an IPO are still going to be bound by the lockup.

Don't get me wrong, people are going to make money, but I doubt it's going to create a big wave of new wealth the way Google or even Facebook did. And a big IPO day pop is a reward to investors, speculators and underwriters at the expense of the rank and file employees, especially when the market over-reacts to the normal downward trend of a public company stock in its first year and yo-yos the thing to below IPO price by the time the lockup expires.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

on the left posted:

If I have shares and don't work for Uber anymore, Uber can suck it. I imagine a small fraction of the $300mm can be used to write a compelling legal case that shows such an arrangement is none of Uber's business.

Also, we do have a broken tax system if we are levying millions in taxes on people who only have paper gains.

Like 90% of our tax-code and system revolves around the concept of things appreciate or depreciate in value and you're taxed accordingly.
We do have a broken tax system, but trust me going too hard on folks making millions off stocks is hardly an issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

on the left posted:

I imagine a small fraction of the $300mm can be used to write a compelling legal case that shows such an arrangement is none of Uber's business.

Share restrictions have a long and well-established history; this isn't something Uber invented. If you could break that class of terms for even $300MM you would snap a lot of finance like a twig.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

A REAL 40% tax rate on completely hypothetical 300 million dollars.

The tax should be levied when you try to sell the drat things, not just trying to keep your claim. It's a completely bullshit setup.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

redscare posted:

A REAL 40% tax rate on completely hypothetical 300 million dollars.

The tax should be levied when you try to sell the drat things, not just trying to keep your claim. It's a completely bullshit setup.
I too have years of experience filing a 1040ez so feel justified critiquing taxation on investments and non-liquid assets.

edit: Like do you not see how big of a problem "until it's cashed out it has no value" would have if applied to all stock options or gifts? We already see stock options and other perks used to bypass the income tax rate.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 3, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

RandomPauI posted:

the only time a second mortoage on your house is OK

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Coolness Averted posted:

I too have years of experience filing a 1040ez so feel justified critiquing taxation on investments and non-liquid assets.

edit: Like do you not see how big of a problem "until it's cashed out it has no value" would have if applied to all stock options or gifts? We already see stock options and other perks used to bypass the income tax rate.

Uber probably won't be an example, but there certainly have been people burned by owing more taxes on their tech bubble options than their eventual worth. This isn't a problem with the tax code so much as stock options as remuneration, though.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't see the problem at all. In Canada we're changing the tax treatment of stock options so they're only taxed when the gains are realized, I doubt we're dooming ourselves to be a Bioshock hellscape by doing so.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Share options as remuneration the way they are implemented is a horrible thing that should just loving die already. I mean in 99.9999% of the cases it's not gonna be worth poo poo, and on the rare off chance that they are, it's a lottery whether you'll actually get real money out of it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I don't see the problem at all. In Canada we're changing the tax treatment of stock options so they're only taxed when the gains are realized, I doubt we're dooming ourselves to be a Bioshock hellscape by doing so.

You guys also have an inheritance tax and generally don't give handjibbers to the upper class, so it's not just apples to apples here.

Seriously though, the issue is that you're worried about people being able to get a bunch of compensation, then stringing along the tax payments on it to reduce the overall burden. Extra points if they can do it until they die, because with no inheritance tax you can often use death as a way to skip out on more taxes. That kind of thing is part (along with stupidity like letting trusts exist into eternity and giving a poo poo about what how dead people want their money spent) of why we have a mess with the rich in the US.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rkajdi posted:

You guys also have an inheritance tax and generally don't give handjibbers to the upper class, so it's not just apples to apples here.

Seriously though, the issue is that you're worried about people being able to get a bunch of compensation, then stringing along the tax payments on it to reduce the overall burden. Extra points if they can do it until they die, because with no inheritance tax you can often use death as a way to skip out on more taxes. That kind of thing is part (along with stupidity like letting trusts exist into eternity and giving a poo poo about what how dead people want their money spent) of why we have a mess with the rich in the US.

The US applies the rule against perpetuities (indefinite trusts). There are exceptions for certain kinds of charity transfer systems, but they're pretty limited iirc. The US also has estate taxes, although they're limited and there are loopholes that reduce how much those taxes collect at the federal level.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, you CAN hold off on exercising an option until you're in a favorable tax position, but it's still kind of stupid and complicated to get the most out of options. Frankly, getting most of your comp in options is kind of a scam startups pull so they can hire better quality talent at below their market worth. Doubly so if they have a dual class structure and they only ever give out non-voting or limited-voting shares. The perception is that having a lot of pre-IPO stock will make you rich, when in reality it's closer to being paid with lotto scratchers.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Canada has an unlimited capital gains exemption on primary residences, up until 2015 a top federal tax bracket which started at $140k CAD, and a gigantic loophole for stock options where they are taxed at 50% of normal income. There are plenty of ways in which the Canadian tax code is really dumb and in certain cases even more advantageous to high income earners than the US one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blah_blah posted:

Canada has an unlimited capital gains exemption on primary residences, up until 2015 a top federal tax bracket which started at $140k CAD, and a gigantic loophole for stock options where they are taxed at 50% of normal income. There are plenty of ways in which the Canadian tax code is really dumb and in certain cases even more advantageous to high income earners than the US one.

Also, no concept of short-term capital gains outside of day trading.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

blah_blah posted:

I'm guessing this is part of the reason the Vancouver housing market is going up uP UP?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Where Theranos falls, another company rises!

Dead could be brought 'back to life' in groundbreaking project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

How long until investors realize they probably wont make an actual zombie and it costs alot of money to let people gently caress around with brains all day.