Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So since buffs like Magic Weapon just add flat +damage, they're strongest with weapons that hit faster, right? Thinking about trying a Raw Brigand Twindaggers/sorcery build to leverage the fast L1 attacks, but would like to know if there's a reason this would be a bad idea.

I thought they added a % of the base damage? Still, I'm also wondering how exactly buffs work in this game since I want to try some spellswording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why did two blue sentinels get summoned when I invaded? I was the only invader and they got summoned within 5 seconds of each other. Never seen that happen before.

They both proceeded to get killed by skeleton ball, which was amusing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Computer posted:

(or started with the Young White Branch)

:psyboom:

Life Ring is still the only correct optimization choice, but goddamn.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did two blue sentinels get summoned when I invaded? I was the only invader and they got summoned within 5 seconds of each other. Never seen that happen before.

They both proceeded to get killed by skeleton ball, which was amusing.

Was it the one with the crab in it? This is important.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Your Computer posted:

I thought they added a % of the base damage? Still, I'm also wondering how exactly buffs work in this game since I want to try some spellswording.

I think it's a % of the magic value of the catalyst, not of the weapon. Infusions, on the other hand, scale with base damage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The worst thing about Aldrich was when I realised the floor is just more loving Aldrich.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

So about why these 5 lords, I'm pretty sure there's two reasons. First I'm pretty sure they can each be matched to an important character from the first game's opening, the two I'm almost certain of are Seathe/Yhorm, both are inhuman and both are said to be mad by the time you fight them, and Ludleth/Manus, for obvious reasons. Secondly they all seem to have done weird versions of linking the first flame; the Abyss Watchers went as one, Yhorm is not a human/god he's a giant, Aldritch was "volunteered", Ludleth willed himself a lord and possibly never actually linked the fire, and Lothric/Lorian bore the weight as one. Ludleth might have specifically picked these guys too, as other than him they're all extremely powerful souls and thus probably really good for keeping the fire going, I mean Aldritch is probably a mass of humanity and souls from his cannibalism, Yhorm is a Giant, the Abyss Watchers have a shared soul and Lothric/Lorian again have a shared soul.

Someone mentioned this previously, but like the Old Ones in DS2, the Lords of Cinder can be associated with the four Lord Souls.

Abyss Watchers: Four Kings
Aldrich: Nito
Yhorm: Lost Witch of Izalith
Lothric: Seath

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The worst thing about Aldrich was when I realised the floor is just more loving Aldrich.

took me awhile to see this, but someone mentioned that you're fighting a currently-being-digested Gwyndolin. Aldrich is the worm/black poo poo all over the floor. Spooky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think that's actually the case because the floor stays the same after Aldrich dies.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think that's actually the case because the floor stays the same after Aldrich dies.

maybe it's just goop he left behind. meh, it does kind of look like him, but perhaps it's not. it would make that fight, and him, a whole lot creepier

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Bed of Chaos roots stick around after you kill that... baby... thing... don't they?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Its prolly just a buncha people he had delivered while we was slow rolling his main course. Its still real fuckin gross that you're wading around in rotting flesh and digestive fluids though

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Your Computer posted:

His arrows can't even damage you if you made peace (or started with the Young White Branch) so sorry, you're just a jerk :colbert:

incredibly untrue

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Internet Kraken posted:

The main reason I think it's all Aldrich is the opening animation makes him look rather large, I'm pretty sure he's coming out of a giant coffin in the Cathedral of the Deep. Plus it's the same black fluid stuff that makes up the tentacle using Gwyndolin's corpse as a puppet. The reason it stays the same is Aldrich is literally a giant slimy monster, and his slime sticks around after he's dead, maybe.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
From pages back, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding (late game/hidden area spoilers) Untended Graves: the orange soapstone messages you see are the same messages you see in Firelink--if you're in the UG shrine and find some messages and homeward bone/coiled sword back to Firelink, you'll see the same messages in the same places.

Though I don't know how that supports any of the theories I've seen laid out...

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NTT posted:

counter with whips

Sounds like a good idea

if I was a clown

at the circus.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Extortionist posted:

From pages back, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding (late game/hidden area spoilers) Untended Graves: the orange soapstone messages you see are the same messages you see in Firelink--if you're in the UG shrine and find some messages and homeward bone/coiled sword back to Firelink, you'll see the same messages in the same places.

I noticed that too. I feel like it's just a design oversight (perhaps just reusing the OG Firelink Shrine minus a lot of the lighting) with no real implication on lore.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
If nothing else it firmly establishes just where Firelink is/how it's connected to the game world. You can see the part where you drop down from if you look up in regular Firelink. Certainly some sort or parallel timeline/universe thing going on. Question is which one is real?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So over on reddit someone pointed out that the dudes turning into spindly trees in Lothric gradually look more and more like the flying tree butterflies around Lothric Castle. They also have the moonlight butterfly move-set and spells during the dragon armor fight. So that got me thinking.

Something about Lothric is turning people into hosed up moonlight butterflies, and we know the king and his scholars were loving around with Seethe's magic. That might retroactively clarify a detail in DS1. Seethe was kidnapping maidens for experiments, and we see the failures of his experiments in his prison... But what were the successes? Well if Lothric's butterflies are made from people, and Seethe's cave is full of moonlight butterflies, then maybe...?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I thought that connection was a well established thought about DS1 lore.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Interesting fact: Dancer can damage other enemies. Is it true for all bosses?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I think all bosses where instances of normal enemies can occur do damage to them. The Abyss Watchers, The Curse Rotted Greatwood, and High King Wolnir all flail around and kill things with wild abandon. The Ancient Wyvern can also roast the man-serpents during the battle, as well, so it may be that all boss enemies are just coded to not check for friendly fire for consistency's sake.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Interesting fact: Dancer can damage other enemies. Is it true for all bosses?

Yes, loads of bosses and larger creatures like dragons kill smaller enemies all the time.

Also although mobs won't be aggressive toward reds, their attacks still damage them if they are in the way.

Just add it to the dictionary sized list of ways invaders can get hosed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Extortionist posted:

One thing I found neat (and it's probably more a technical thing than something deliberate) is that if you die to Champion, you can go to Iudex Gundyr's area instead and get your souls back from there without having to risk fighting the boss.

Monomythian posted:

Yes, loads of bosses and larger creatures like dragons kill smaller enemies all the time.

Also although mobs won't be aggressive toward reds, their attacks still damage them if they are in the way.

Just add it to the dictionary sized list of ways invaders can get hosed.

One thing that caught me by surprise is the demon on your way down to Smoldering Lake. I knew the Mimic would fight it but I assumed that was because Mimics are basically assholes who will gently caress with anyone, but on my latest playthrough the demon killed the Mimic quickly but then got swarmed by the resurrecting skeletons the next level down which just kept mobbing it till it went down.

I guess everybody just loving hates that demon!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 3, 2016

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
You can also jump onto the roof in Untended graves to get the estus shard/covetous silver ring if you didn't get them in the regular spot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

aldrich is so loving disgusting and I hate him so much WHY DOES HE HAVE SO MANY RIBCAGES FILL WITH GOO gently caress YOU ALDRICH

found new thing to deal with him. Fluoroantimonic acid folded over one thousand times. pH of negative 31. gently caress you aldrich, ima turn you into a hole in the floor

I haven't even gotten to them yet but I admire your dedication. I don't have much on me but the least I can do when I eventually find them is bring Carthus Flame beacon along for the job, just to make the stab wounds hurt more.

EDIT: My Darksouls first run characters have a habit of being named Roger. After a certain death prone janitor. This future mop up is for you spooky.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 3, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

McTimmy posted:

The Bed of Chaos roots stick around after you kill that... baby... thing... don't they?

You mean the actual live Witch of Izalith herself in the center, with one of her daughters on each side?
Yeah, whats left over is just a tree, why should it vanish?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mazerunner posted:

incredibly untrue

Dunno about the starting white branch part, but I just tested this by standing underneath arrow fire and took zero damage or knockback from arrows landing on or around me, even when I was using an estus.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Section Z posted:

EDIT: My Darksouls first run characters have a habit of being named Roger. After a certain death prone janitor. This future mop up is for you spooky.
So I'm not the only one who uses a common name for their first character in each DS game. :v: Mine's Cedric. (If anyone here has been invaded by a scruffy dude with the pope hat and Lothric Knight chest piece, that may have been me.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Today I learned that you can rate messages even when you're away from them just as long as you've read them during that particular gameplay session. I said wow.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

WaltherFeng posted:

So I beat all the bosses solo, including the Nameless King. I guess that was Dark Souls 3 then. It definitely felt more like a sequel than Dark Souls 2. You can tell that Miyazaki has a very different vision compared to the team that made 2.

DkS2 felt more like an ambitious fangame while DkS3 was a sequel in every sense of the word.
I'm replaying the first Dark Souls now after beating 3 a few times, and I've seen this sentiment a bunch but I'm less and less sure I can agree with it.

2 and 3 both make a lot of references to earlier games, 3's just more explicit about it (and 2 uses King's Field references vice Demon's Souls references).

3 pulls a lot of mechanical improvements from 2, particularly with closer bonfire placement and enabling teleporting from the start. There aren't many parts in 2 or 3 that come close to the whole stretch from Undead Berg/Depths/Blighttown/Lower Blightown/Undead Berg/Sens Fortress/Anor Londo (which can include a few trips back to use the ember and pick up the Rusted Iron Ring, etc)--as much as people praise the interconnectivity of the DS1 world, I have to wonder if they've all forgotten how many times they had to backtrack through everything to get to the next path forward. I'd be surprised if there's anyone who beat DS1 who couldn't run the Firelink->Andre path blindfolded.

3 also takes some of the significant control changes from 2, particularly being able to move while drinking Estus and input queuing. Both have huge impacts on how the game actually plays--DS1 is much less forgiving of mistakes than 2 or 3.

Thematically, I think DS3 is more successful than DS2, but neither seem to match DS1's heights and depths--they have a lot of great places in the middle ground (if often retreading places from earlier games), but never seem to match the brilliance of Anor Londo or the pure black of the Abyss--DS3 has beautiful and ugly places but Irithyll is not so pristine as Anor Londo and Farron Keep has none of the menace of Blighttown.

All 3 are flawed but great games. 1 probably had the best overall theme/story and set of locations and bosses, but would have benefited from the many QOL-improvements that later games introduced. 2 was the weakest thematically--it never seemed to live up to the bleakness of DS1 and didn't have nearly as many memorable locations or bosses, but introduced a number of good and important gameplay improvements, and did still have a number of great areas and bosses. 3 blends the better parts of the previous two but ultimately still doesn't match the highs and lows of the first game.

DS3 is a great conclusion to the series but DS2 made a lot of good and important contributions to the series as well.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

AllisonByProxy posted:

If nothing else it firmly establishes just where Firelink is/how it's connected to the game world. You can see the part where you drop down from if you look up in regular Firelink. Certainly some sort or parallel timeline/universe thing going on. Question is which one is real?

I can't run the game on my laptop right now to check for myself, do you happen to have any screenshots of the drop down point from regular firelink? I've taken some pictures here, http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw and I'm trying to figure out more about the area lorewise. Right now I'm leaning towards regular firelink is some idealized version where the abyss hasn't grown, Andre is somehow alive, etc. and that the untended firelink is the real one and has sunken into the abyss. However, I am aware that having played bloodborne and seeing the hunter's dream may have caused bias.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I really miss left-handed movesets from DS2 :( why would I off-hand a dagger to block with? And left-handed attacks aren't combos! I also miss back-stepping i-frames.

Am I crazy or can you not parry from a distance in DS3? In DS2 you could parry any part of a weapons hitbox, but I feel like they went back to DS1 rules?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Question about a Lord fight:

Just one-shotted Yhorm because Siegward rolled in and is a freight train of oniony terror. All I did was just stand between giant feet and plink away for 100 dmg while Onionbro tanked and repeatedly shot him with a big fuckoff onion laser that hit for 4k and knocked him down. I did essentially nothing and poo poo myself the whole fight after seeing I did jack all to his hp. Is that dude as awful as it seems if you don't have Siegward helping? I don't think I could possibly stay alive the 30 minutes it'd take me to chip away the fucker's hp pool

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Question about a Lord fight:

Just one-shotted Yhorm because Siegward rolled in and is a freight train of oniony terror. All I did was just stand between giant feet and plink away for 100 dmg while Onionbro tanked and repeatedly shot him with a big fuckoff onion laser that hit for 4k and knocked him down. I did essentially nothing and poo poo myself the whole fight after seeing I did jack all to his hp. Is that dude as awful as it seems if you don't have Siegward helping? I don't think I could possibly stay alive the 30 minutes it'd take me to chip away the fucker's hp pool

You can get the sword Siegward is using in that very room. It's right next to the throne Yhorme was sitting on.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Jordbo posted:

I really miss left-handed movesets from DS2 :( why would I off-hand a dagger to block with? And left-handed attacks aren't combos! I also miss back-stepping i-frames.

Am I crazy or can you not parry from a distance in DS3? In DS2 you could parry any part of a weapons hitbox, but I feel like they went back to DS1 rules?

From what I've heard they've basically gone back to the DS1 engine so if it's something you could do in 2 but not 1 then you probably can't do it anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Jordbo posted:

Apparently you can, on top of that you can parry from any angle (360 hitbox.)

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Apparently you can, on top of that you can parry from any angle (360 hitbox.)

Man, I hope so, I really need a counter to people spamming katana/rapier/spear running attacks

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Hommando posted:

You can get the sword Siegward is using in that very room. It's right next to the throne Yhorme was sitting on.

OH hah thanks, didn't realize it was that sword doing all the damage. I ended up with 2 of them after the fight actually, one over by the throne and Sieg left me another one with his armor after he poofed from his toast nap. Having one sitting in the room but not giving you any indications is pretty awesomely dickish of From

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
At least you didn't have to figure the mechanic out during the boss fight itself. It went over quite a few players' heads that you had to hold down R2 (weapon arts) button to charge the sword up before it could hurt Yhorm.