Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I sometimes feel mad when my boss gets mad at me for wearing jeans and a collared shirt on Wednesday, even though it's compliant with company policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might have to take a 2 month long contract. That's two <1yr contracts in a row. Would it be poor form to put something in the description of the job mentioning that they're contracts? At this point I've got 11 months, 9 months, and now potentially 2 months. That doesn't look good.

When I was contracting, I just had one heading and the various contract high point(s) were listed below it, not as separate headers.

code:
Senior Network Engineer / VOIP Engineer / Project Manager		Portland, OR
Contract Work @ various clients									2008 - 2013
•	Designed and implemented networking for a 70,000 sq. ft. mixed office and manufacturing facility.
•	Negotiated new voice and data contracts for multinational company resulting in 48% lower cost and 300% capacity.
•	Managed all aspects of datacenter build including power distribution, cabling, and cooling for a new 1680 sq. ft. facility.
•	Network design and IT oversight for 185 employee office moving to new offices.
•	Converted 280 person call center from legacy Avaya to VOIP based Cisco Unified Call Manager system.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wear a tie to work every day. It's about as fun as it sounds. But, the job pays well and I otherwise like working there. So a tie it is.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I wear a tie to work every day. It's about as fun as it sounds. But, the job pays well and I otherwise like working there. So a tie it is.

Same here, at least we get business casual fridays so we can wear polos and slack. Also one work from home day a week so it's really only wearing a tie 3 days a week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven't worn a tie in so long, I'd need youtube to remember how to even put it on.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:hf: has to look up how to tie a tie each time buddy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
lol if you don't leave your tie tied and just slip it on when you need it every few years

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

H110Hawk posted:

Ugh two people I liked in management just quit. (My old boss a director, and his boss a VP (who is also my current bosses boss.)) Super obnoxious as the VP was doing really good things for the organization.

Time to :yotj: friend

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Pretty much the only rules of my attire are no shorts (this is a recent change in the last couple years) and collars. Given I work at an MSP as a tier 2 slash site tech, so I'm customer facing. I don't wear nice slacks cause gently caress you if you think I'm going to crawl around on the floor and ruin them, but I make the effort to wear a button down or polo and look nice. Sometimes even just a nice sweater or cardigan with a tshirt under is fine.

I've never really had a job where I had to dress super spiffy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to go to our Florida office in a few weeks because I can wear shorts there

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kashuno posted:

I'm excited to go to our Florida office in a few weeks because I can wear shorts there

Counterpoint: you're going to Florida.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:yotj: will have to wait for now. I'm in a particularly good spot at work. I've been working from home for over a week now, moving up to 6 weeks of leave whenever my baby comes. :3:

If everything has gone to poo poo when I get back I'll reconsider. But I might also just ride it out for a bit because the pay is good and I've got tenure coming out my ears.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Making the transition from private sector to gubmint was an interesting change in dress code. It was kind of worth it though, it feels good to dress professionally and nobody wears Korn t-shirts to meetings.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This reminds me of a diatribe I heard at a consultancy firm about how Millenials don't know how to act and think it's acceptable to wear "garbage like Metallica shirts" to company meetings.

Sounds like that gentleman had his life in order, sir! :colbert:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Internet Explorer posted:

After seeing so many people in flip flops and tank tops, you know, I'd really like an office where everyone wears a tie to work. You're leaving your house, present the best you you can, and all that. Look good, people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My perfect workplace attire would be fashion from about 1810, but barring that, I'll take clean over anything.

I used to wear slacks and a polo or button-up, except on days I knew I'd be in a server room, but since I work at a ski resort now, I just wear jeans and either a polo or a decent long sleeved shirt over a tee.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

lol if you don't leave your tie tied and just slip it on when you need it every few years

It takes more effort to do that than it does to just tie the tie.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

adorai posted:

Untrue, I wore a tie every day for highschool, it is simpler to tie it once, then loosen it to take it off, then re-tighten each day after putting on. Sure, you will have to occasionally re-tie it, but not often.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

When I see someone in a tie at the office, I immediately assume they're a vendor and trying to sell us something.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

I'm confused how you loosen and tighten a tie

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kashuno posted:

You know that loop that goes around your neck when you're done tying it? You can loosen that! here's a helpful video, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_7XFagWGk

Unless you are making a joke about clip-on ties, in which case...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Well, first, you start with a real one and not a clip-on.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

You know that loop that goes around your neck when you're done tying it? You can loosen that! here's a helpful video, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_7XFagWGk

Unless you are making a joke about clip-on ties, in which case...

It was more about the guy saying that it's more effort to do that than just untie and retie it

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

MF_James posted:

Untrue, I wore a tie every day for highschool, it is simpler to tie it once, then loosen it to take it off, then re-tighten each day after putting on. Sure, you will have to occasionally re-tie it, but not often.

This is how I'll be doing it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kashuno posted:

...you bend the little clip you normally use to attach it to your collar. :feelsgood:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I still need to learn to tie a trinity knot :smith:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

you WILL ruin the tie that you do this with. (referring to the leaving the tie tied forever thing)

Honestly, it's not hard to tie one, the problem is that when you do it 5 days a week at some ungodly hour in the morning (I'm not a morning person) you will gently caress it up often and end up spending a few minutes re-doing it. I can tie a tie without a problem, but do you really want to have to do it every morning while you're half asleep and somewhat likely to gently caress up? No.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
fun fact I've never actually opened a clip on tie and have no idea how they work

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kashuno posted:

fun fact I've never actually opened a clip on tie and have no idea how they work

I think I used one when I was like 5 and my mom made me go to church. Its just got a clip you attach to your collar.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

DigitalMocking posted:

When I was contracting, I just had one heading and the various contract high point(s) were listed below it, not as separate headers.

code:
Senior Network Engineer / VOIP Engineer / Project Manager		Portland, OR
Contract Work @ various clients									2008 - 2013
•	Designed and implemented networking for a 70,000 sq. ft. mixed office and manufacturing facility.
•	Negotiated new voice and data contracts for multinational company resulting in 48% lower cost and 300% capacity.
•	Managed all aspects of datacenter build including power distribution, cabling, and cooling for a new 1680 sq. ft. facility.
•	Network design and IT oversight for 185 employee office moving to new offices.
•	Converted 280 person call center from legacy Avaya to VOIP based Cisco Unified Call Manager system.

Only problem with this is that at a glance it looks like you're hiding an employment gap. And often times all your resume gets is that glance. Could work if it's pretty well in your past and you have continuous recent employment though.

If you have been fairly continuously employed, I'd nth the recommendation to put "[Company Name] (contract) mm/yy-mm/yy"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

RFC2324 posted:

I have to look it up every drat time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

This is a great way to ruin a tie. If you wear it often/daily it's largely fine.

RFC2324 posted:

Try not to neckbeard.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
A trinity knot just looks like you knotted your tie together trying to figure out a real knot

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The most important key to tying an outfit together is white gloves

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sepist posted:

A trinity knot just looks like you knotted your tie together trying to figure out a real knot

Not really?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ugh I hate the trinity knot, standard windsor for me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Half Windsor unless you're wearing a scrub tie that's 1/8" thick

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RFC2324 posted:

knot really?

huehuehue

Vulture Culture posted:

Same, except I also go half with skinny tie.

If it's a nice stiff tie sometimes I'll do full or double just to feel fancy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Oh maybe that's it then? fakeedit: yup googled it, I tie a half windsor

Also, I "learned" to tie a tie by uhh inventing my own way of doing it. That way turned out to be the half windsor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I use the oriental knot, which is extremely simple to tie.