Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Fluffy posted:

So Belzac is our own personal fishmech?

Not really. He's an rear end in a top hat, but sometimes he's a correct rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah. FFXIV has a really nice and constructive community from what I seen, which is why it's so weird that they're so insanely concerned about toxic players and harassment.

well it's probably in part because they're so concerned that the overall community hasn't become a cesspool

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brother Entropy posted:

well it's probably in part because they're so concerned that the overall community hasn't become a cesspool

Yeah, they put a lot of hours in, they make mistakes, but they do learn from them. I just wish they had a better forums team.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, they put a lot of hours in, they make mistakes, but they do learn from them. I just wish they had a better forums team.

After all the bitching they really do deserve a lot of credit for rewriting the abomination that was 1.0 in such a short time. They basically jumped from Everquest to WoTLK which isn't terrible, but they could easily do better.

Like if they made the main quest modular and/or opened stuff up as you leveled up instead of when you ground out enough quests it would solve my biggest problem with how restrictive everything is. Letting players pursue what they find fun can only do good for the game. With how mediocre the adoption has been for GW2's expansion I'm pretty sure that HW's sales aren't very hot behind the big fat gate.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 3, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
It's true that the quest design in this game is really really bad. They try to make you see past it with the story and it works if you like it but even then I don't know why you would ever bother doing side quests. Thunderbro got it right when he said it was WotLK era design

e: and then one of the pieces of content we're guaranteed each patch is a daily quest hub :v:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Thunderbro posted:

After all the bitching they really do deserve a lot of credit for rewriting the abomination that was 1.0 in such a short time. They basically jumped from Everquest to WoTLK which isn't terrible, but they could easily do better.
You're right

So they did.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm doing the first couple Hildebrand quests right now and I gotta to ask just how many are them? Update logs made it seem like a lot but something this good has to be limited right?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm doing the first couple Hildebrand quests right now and I gotta to ask just how many are them? Update logs made it seem like a lot but something this good has to be limited right?

There's 5 "episodes", consisting of four quests each.

If you're not done with the pre-HW stuff yet, it might be a good idea for you to switch between the two so you can pace the hildy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

There's 5 "episodes", consisting of four quests each.

If you're not done with the pre-HW stuff yet, it might be a good idea for you to switch between the two so you can pace the hildy.

Agreed, and Hildy gets better as they go along.

Three trials are locked to that quest chain, though, so be sure to do them. They are all great.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I'm pretty certain the forums are outsourced or something, since the management of them is absolutely insane with regards to what gets you banned and what doesn't.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping this means that any company that throws money at SE can have their stuff promoted in the game. I'd really love to craft things like Coca Cola for my healers to drink before raid, or participate in a FATE to get a Sailormoon themed weapon like Saturn's glaive or Pluto's garnet rod. Ooooo maybe a Pokemon event! So many Pokemon would make awesome mounts no? I can't wait for the next popular kids toy or cartoon to be incorporated into the game I've been playing for the last 2.5 years. I hope it's not unrealistic to cross my fingers for in game vending machines either that dispense brand name candy bars and other foodstuffs. Gosh I have so many ideas... maybe as a player I can just tell SE what to do with the game since it seems like this is what is happening on a daily basis.

Seriously-- does anyone ever feel like the developers are the only people NOT developing anything? I feel like so much of the content and changes to content comes from chronic complainers or outside sources. I mean the core content is there (dungeons, raids, quests etc.) but beyond that everyone feels like they have a direct line to SE to tell them what to do next or what to change. This Yokai-watch stuff... lol... so off putting to me. Even though I don't like it-- I'm not going to tell SE what they should and shouldn't do because it's not my place. Those minions, most of the weapons, and that mount look like something my niece or nephew would play with. I think if SE continues to add stuff like this they can lower the rating restriction on the game from 14A where I live to "E" (which means Everyone) and at least make the game more competitive with other kids games that 7 year olds are apt to be interested in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I would unironically love to have Sailor Moon weapons.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Technogeek posted:

I'm hoping this means that any company that throws money at SE can have their stuff promoted in the game. I'd really love to craft things like Coca Cola for my healers to drink before raid, or participate in a FATE to get a Sailormoon themed weapon like Saturn's glaive or Pluto's garnet rod. Ooooo maybe a Pokemon event! So many Pokemon would make awesome mounts no? I can't wait for the next popular kids toy or cartoon to be incorporated into the game I've been playing for the last 2.5 years. I hope it's not unrealistic to cross my fingers for in game vending machines either that dispense brand name candy bars and other foodstuffs. Gosh I have so many ideas... maybe as a player I can just tell SE what to do with the game since it seems like this is what is happening on a daily basis.

Seriously-- does anyone ever feel like the developers are the only people NOT developing anything? I feel like so much of the content and changes to content comes from chronic complainers or outside sources. I mean the core content is there (dungeons, raids, quests etc.) but beyond that everyone feels like they have a direct line to SE to tell them what to do next or what to change. This Yokai-watch stuff... lol... so off putting to me. Even though I don't like it-- I'm not going to tell SE what they should and shouldn't do because it's not my place. Those minions, most of the weapons, and that mount look like something my niece or nephew would play with. I think if SE continues to add stuff like this they can lower the rating restriction on the game from 14A where I live to "E" (which means Everyone) and at least make the game more competitive with other kids games that 7 year olds are apt to be interested in.

Has Pokemon avatar, doesn't like Pokemon substitute being in their game??

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Has Pokemon avatar, doesn't like Pokemon substitute being in their game??

Technogeek doesn't source his quotes.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dmboogie posted:

Technogeek doesn't source his quotes.

Mostly because I am amused when people mistake lovely OF posts for my actual opinions.

Although it also amuses me when people on Twitter mistake my quoting of said lovely OF posts for my actual opinions. I've actually gotten blocked by at least one Yo-kai Watch fan because I quoted that post from a few pages back about "I will blacklist anyone with the YW mount".

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I am excited for yokai watch because I still hold out hope that we'll get other related things that they teased us with but never released

I still want all of it. pls don't break my heart yoship

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Compressing combo buttons would be pretty easy and would work for every melee class.
Monk would have three buttons that changed based on what form you're in. Perfect Stance could easily simply lock you in form 3 instead of it's current function.
Every other job would have three combo buttons that would change based on what ability you used last. So, taking DRK as an example, you'd start with one button that had Hard Slash, and after pressing it it changes to two buttons, with Spinning Slash and Siphon Strike.

As far as the compression of defensive abilities, I'm actually sort of inclined to agree. The thing is, there's a key difference in how WoW handles defensive moves and how FFXIV does it.
In WoW, last I played, a tank basically had one, maybe two buttons that function the way most of the defensive moves work in FFXIV. These were basically saved for the serious business attacks that you couldn't handle with your other options.
The other defensive buttons you had available vied with your offensive buttons for resources. We have exactly one pair of abilities that works like this in 14, which is Fell Cleave and Inner Beast. Inner Beast is a defensive cooldown you can toss every 18 seconds or so, or you can hit something upside the head for a ton of damage instead.
In fact, if I remember right, each of the tanks in WoW actually had slightly different mechanics to them. Warriors could spend their resource on blocking more, absorbing damage, or throwing some extra attacks. Paladins built up a stacking resource they could spend on healing or damage. Death Knights had an attack that healed and shielded them based on how much damage they took. Monks turned a portion of all incoming damage into a rolling DoT that they could occasionally spend resource to shrug off, and I think they had abilities to transfer a larger portion of incoming damage to the DoT. Druids were terrible.

Meanwhile in 14 all the tanks are basically "press a button before taking a large amount of damage". Warrior is better than the other two because it can do more damage, provide its own slashing debuff, and their main defensive move is low-duration low-cooldown.

I mean don't get me wrong, WoW is basically a bin fire at this point and I enjoy 14 but if you don't think the job design is too overly simple I don't know what to tell you.
If we actually had good tank design we could wrap most defensive options into parts of the rotation and leave a couple of standalone defensive CDs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sailor moon weapons, you say?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Klades posted:

Monk would have three buttons that changed based on what form you're in. Perfect Stance could easily simply lock you in form 3 instead of it's current function.

Please don't trigger me by threatening to take away PB Bootshine spam. Or I guess being an rear end in a top hat in PvP with PB One Ilm Punch spam.

I get the desire to compress buttons, but let's not need hasty now.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I really want that bucket for my dragoon. There can be nothing more appropriate than a dragoon with a bucket on his/her head.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Inner Beast and Fell Cleave could be rolled into one ability, same with Steel Cyclone and Decimate. it's actually silly that they aren't, considering that ninjas and astros have abilities that change with their stances.

Also, combos. The only non-magic class I have at 60 is pld, but 7 of those buttons could easily be rolled into 3: halone, authority, goring.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

While I haven't gotten to the meat of the plot in this game, I think Star Wars: The Old Republic has some really great stuff going on story-wise. I still haven't even fought Titan yet but based on what I've seen of this game so far I am having a hard time imagining the story getting cooler than SWTOR's.

SWTOR has some really cool and some really bad content. Agent is ridiculously good, trooper and consular are just straight up bad for over 50% of the game and some planetary story lines are straight up snoozefests not even full voice acting could help. Much like FF14, really. For every dumb cheese & wine fetch quest arc, there's one that's just straight up cool. That said, 1-50 has a really big pile of filler in it. It really shows they were rushing poo poo out and still had to have something fill up the players time.

It gets much much better after 2.4 or so, and HW MSQ is largely devoid of filler. Instead, the bullshit is in tailfeather and moghome quests :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

sure love examples about 40% of a player base showing up to help players in a game when that's 120 people out 300

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Anybody have experience putting a ticket in with S-E customer support? I need to take my authenticator off so I can get into my account (I deleted the app off my phone to save space on my SD card and locked myself out). I sent in a ticket yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything back yet.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I have played every class to 60 using a controller and never had any issues to do the max dps/heal/tankyness that my stats allowed in all of the games content.
FFXIV has amazing gamepad controls, if you're having issues either you never gave it a real try or perhaps you're just bad at video games.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Sade posted:

Anybody have experience putting a ticket in with S-E customer support? I need to take my authenticator off so I can get into my account (I deleted the app off my phone to save space on my SD card and locked myself out). I sent in a ticket yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything back yet.

Support turnaround is pretty quick usually. You might want to contact them via chat or phone today.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would expect some sort of skill consolidation or "build a combo" button feature with the next expansion; they made it work for HW but they are really out of convenient hotbar options for controllers at this point. Already you have to stretch beyond expanded holds to slot in LB/Sprint/consumables on 60s and making more of that required pulls back fairly heavily on the otherwise user friendliness of controller usage.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sade posted:

your ticket response will be that you need to call square enix, since i had to do this very thing and that's what i got back

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This morning's A8 included a healer so honest, he tried to turret heal through every Super Jump, Mega Beam, and Apocalyptic Ray.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Last night was strange. Out of nowhere I got thrown into this novice chat thing and I was chatting up a bunch of newbies like myself. Then overleveled beefies came out to help me find an NPC. I had terrible flashbacks of Mankrik's Wife. Game is still fun -- I'm level 13. I wanna transfer to Excalibur but I made a buddy. :smith: Ah well. Goons before pubs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

NT Plus posted:

Last night was strange. Out of nowhere I got thrown into this novice chat thing and I was chatting up a bunch of newbies like myself. Then overleveled beefies came out to help me find an NPC. I had terrible flashbacks of Mankrik's Wife. Game is still fun -- I'm level 13. I wanna transfer to Excalibur but I made a buddy. :smith: Ah well. Goons before pubs.

Playing with goons is fun, sure, but I wouldn't say it's worth ditching friends to play with them.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

True enough. I don't even know if my character fulfills the requirements to even transfer to Excalibur -- regardless of my willingness to give SE money to do so. The account management site still dashes out the dropdown slot where my character to be transferred can be selected.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It has to be 3 days old before you can transfer, that's the only requirement.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Probably just have to wait a little bit longer then. I think I made this toon around 3 PM Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really need to start tracking all of my pubbie LDR runs, and keep track of how many went bad or had someone behave like a real rear end in a top hat. Fister is right in that some tanks really do have a sense of entitlement. I wanted to get in a run of Brayflox before I went to sleep once, and my first run I got a tank that got upset at a sproutling DPS for not following his directions so he dropped immediately (in his defense, it was a bard that wouldn't stop using mage's ballad). Ran again, got a horribly geared tank who asks after the 2nd boss if we want a full run or not. Two of us say "nah, it's late, let's just finish it quickly" and then he says "Well, who says you get to decide?" and starts pulling everything. Of course, he's spamming tomahawk and overpower so he runs out of TP all the time. The crowning moment was the final pull before the last boss he says he'll pull all the enemies and then pull the boss and lock the enemies out. He attempts this and gets himself locked out.

People say the community is nice. I'm a little mixed, and I also don't have another MMO to compare it to. The PVP community is toxic as hell. The fact that people respond horribly to advice sometimes makes me believe this "nice" community really isn't as nice as they think. When you get that 60DR / EXDR with some DPS doing only 300, or that honest SCH that just sits there and occasionally casts adlo, and you can't say "hey, push buttons better" without potentially being reported, it's a real drag.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had maybe 10 bad experiences out of >1000 DF runs. :shrug:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
PvPers tend to be hypersensitive regardless of what MMO you play

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

your ticket response will be that you need to call square enix, since i had to do this very thing and that's what i got back

The last time I did this I had to call as well. I waited on hold for about 1.5 hours.

I now keep the emergency removal code in about 4 different places.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've had some bad goes of DF or grinding out primal mounts or Final Coil, but it's not as often as I would expect. Most people aren't necessarily good, but they're willing to take advice and adjust. The only people I don't like are those who will drop after a single wipe. That comes off as kinda primadonna to me. So far in the community I've gotten literally everything I've ever asked for. For free at that. So I gotta think the community should at least be considered as overall kind.

I don't know how consolidating buttons would be good for me as a mediocre 60 Nin. You have 2 options for button 2 after you hit the first...Spinning Slash? Whatever, you know the first one you hit. Then if you choose 2A you have 3 options for button 3 that all serve different purposes. How would a combo system know if I need to refresh my Huton, lay down the debuff, or just do damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Truga posted:

I've had maybe 10 bad experiences out of >1000 DF runs. :shrug:

Same. The bad ones stand out and are more fun to tell stories about but the vast majority of the time, when I queue up for DF, i know I won't have to worry about playing with lovely people (by which I mean lovely human beings).

The only other MMOs I've played have been wow and swtor and players in this game are so much nicer, at least in PVE. In those other games, as soon as you make a mistake (or God forbid, wipe) you can generally count on someone raging about it but in this game I find people are generally pretty forgiving as long as you learn from your fuckups.

Maybe it's because of minimal PVP focus that keeps the more toxic players away? I remember in one PVP match in swtor, someone actually tracked me down in the fleet after the match ended to yell at me for having lovely gear (note that I was standing in front of the PVP vendor, buying gear, at the time).

• Locked thread