Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I stayed up way too late last night bopping people.

https://gfycat.com/EnragedUnripeHarvestmouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I stayed up way too late last night bopping people.

https://gfycat.com/EnragedUnripeHarvestmouse

I know it's just a default animation, but I love that the Host of Embers basically looks like he's just completely given up on everything at the end there :laugh:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
gently caress me how do you play without a shield and just a great sword.

It's like taking dark souls which is hard mode by default, and somehow unlocking ULTRA VIOLENCE.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I thought they added a % of the base damage? Still, I'm also wondering how exactly buffs work in this game since I want to try some spellswording.

That's how they work in DS2, which is why they're better on elemental weapons in that game. (Crystal Magic Weapon in DS2 adds 50 magic damage then increases all magic damage on that weapon by 30%, which is why it was hilariously overpowered when you could use it on the Moonlight Greatsword, which only does magic damage in DS2.)

In this, it's like DS1. Most weapon buffs (except Blessed Weapon) add an amount of damage equal to a percentage of your catalyst's Spell Buff. Lightning Blade, for example, adds 95% of your talisman's Spell Buff. So if your talisman has 200 Spell Buff, Lightning Blade adds 190 damage; if it's 150 Spell Buff, Lightning Blade adds about 142 damage.

Blessed Weapon adds a flat 7.5% physical damage no matter what your stats or Spell Buff are. It's the only one that doesn't scale, to my knowledge.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lite_sleepr posted:

It's like taking dark souls which is hard mode by default, and somehow unlocking ULTRA VIOLENCE.

A parry shield is basically required in pvp if you run into anyone with an estoc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'

It's really just about learning what enemy tells tend to look like and what attack timings tend to be--eventually you can predict how a lot of enemy types work, though you do have to be able to react to each enemy's quirks--and then learning the timing on your roll so you can use your invincibility frames to just roll right through the attack. The Carthus Bloodring can help; sure, it lowers your defenses by a decent amount, but it also drastically increases the invincibility frames on your roll, and it really is noticeable. It makes your roll timing a lot more forgiving.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I beat wolnir and I didn't funds that ring. I find one that kinda makes me vanish on rolls, but that's stupid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

queue a cast from an offhand catalyst as the first cast is ending and the spell gets cast again from the offhand tool

https://u.pomf.is/nwozqr.webm

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Xenolalia posted:

I can't run the game on my laptop right now to check for myself, do you happen to have any screenshots of the drop down point from regular firelink? I've taken some pictures here, http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw and I'm trying to figure out more about the area lorewise. Right now I'm leaning towards regular firelink is some idealized version where the abyss hasn't grown, Andre is somehow alive, etc. and that the untended firelink is the real one and has sunken into the abyss. However, I am aware that having played bloodborne and seeing the hunter's dream may have caused bias.

Looking up to where you fall down into the Untended Graves:

Same spot in the Cemetary of Ash:

Best look inside the cave I could get:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

A parry shield is basically required in pvp if you run into anyone with an estoc.

Na, hyperarmor works too, you just have to time it properly. Hyperarmor is unstaggerable near the end of the swing. Take the Straight Sword R2 weapon art against something using say, a UGS. If you time it so you hit them as the last possible moment you both take damage but you remained poised and can quickly punish.

Watching estoc spammers panic about not being able to deal with even the half a second of poise the game actually has is really fun too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Monomythian posted:

Na, hyperarmor works too, you just have to time it properly. Hyperarmor is unstaggerable near the end of the swing. Take the Straight Sword R2 weapon art against something using say, a UGS. If you time it so you hit them as the last possible moment you both take damage but you remained poised and can quickly punish.

Watching estoc spammers panic about not being able to deal with even the half a second of poise the game actually has is really fun too.

I'm not sure any weapon I use has any then. Maybe Anri's R2 art? I don't think the twinblades do at least, I keep getting knocked out of the spin.

But maybe I'm just salty that the prime example from last night paused to pull it out and flip something on at the last second so he couldn't be killed. PvP is pretty dire right now. :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

I beat wolnir and I didn't funds that ring. I find one that kinda makes me vanish on rolls, but that's stupid.

It's in the Catacombs somewhere. If you see bonewheel skeletons, it's near them.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Harrow posted:

It's in the Catacombs somewhere. If you see bonewheel skeletons, it's near them.

From the bonfire, down the stairs and hang a right. Down that path past the slimes and bonewheels.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Trying to make a LvL 80 Str build centered around the +5 Demon's Greataxe and could use some advice:

Present build
Warrior lvl 80

Vig 25
Att 6
End 27
Vit 21
Str 40
Dex 15
Int 12
Fai 12
Luk 11

Should I be toning down a little on Vig and Str, and dump some of those points into End instead? The axe kicks rear end, but End limits it to about 3 swings in 1 go in addition to a 4th optional swing during stamina recovery (if that's even counted). I was using it at +3 during pvp yesterday. I didn't win anything due to constant 3 v 1. but there were many occasions where I was almost able to kill a dude or two with a single right trigger hold hit (whatever the hell that's called). Problem was I would be completely out of stamina, and the dudes getting invaded would roll back after getting smacked and pop Estus.

I could probably remove a few points from Dex, but that would kill the ability to use any other swords. Fai and Luck are unfortunately stuck where they are since the axe has a min req. of 12 Fai and 12 Luck.

Should I be toning down on everything and just dumping into End?

What about vit?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The other extra annoying thing from last night was it kept spawning me at the end of Farron Keep to invade people who haven't left Crucifixion Hill in Road of Sacrifices. Me and a red phantom spent about 15 minutes just looking for them. The phantom gave up right as I saw them, and when I went over, I saw that the host was waiting with three phantoms. They were good sports about it though, we cheered about finally meeting up and one split off to do a 1v1, which went really nicely and was a lot of fun though I died in the end.

Why can I spawn basically two zones away though that's dumb.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/JKartje/status/727205465852006400

Poise is being looked into

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

I use big weapons and forgo a shield for heavier armor and bow. I admit I probably die more times than I should, but it's drat fun learning the patterns of NPCs and rolling the hell out of there. In a pinch, the bigger weapons act like a lovely shield when two-handed.

As for PvP I manage to win only like 30% of my fights. I can trick a couple people into trying to kill me during my Demon Axe weapon art and blow them the gently caress up. Shields are for the weak :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avalanche posted:

Trying to make a LvL 80 Str build centered around the +5 Demon's Greataxe and could use some advice:

Don't worry about Vitality if you're not fat-rolling. If you're wearing and wielding what you want and you're under 70% equip load, you have enough Vitality. The extra roll distance you get under 30% equip load is cool and can screw with people in PvP, but I wouldn't pump Vitality just for that on a build with a very heavy weapon.

If you're using the axe in duels, you shouldn't need three swings at once--you probably shouldn't ever swing more than twice. Once if you miss, twice if you hit the first one, because your opponent can roll out after the second hit. If you're hoping to invade and win 3v1s, you'll probably want more Endurance, but you might be better off just wearing the Ring of Favor and Prisoner Chain to get some more instead of dropping your Vigor.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I'm not what you would call "Good" at PvP anyways, so my entire confusion is why basically everyone I have run into treat purple invaders as turbo Satan who should be taken down through any means necessary as soon as possible (okay makes sense so far) While a Red phantom is right there, trying to kill you (Aaaand now I'm confused).

"Hey you know what? I guess I don't HAVE to kill the host. Okay, guard break the read Phantom and-oh I've been backstabbed by the host. Well at least they can probably catch... oh they are enacting a 4vs1 beatdown on me while the red phantom crystals out 10 feet away completely ignored? Okey dokey."

I mean yeah, if I decide to bow as an invader an they respond by stabbing me in the groin, I'm still an INVADER despite how many people also scream like children at how invaders should have honor, so that's understandable. In any game, E honor only survives as long as it is convenient for the person demanding it, anyways.

I'm just trying to figure out why the priorities I've run into so far in my meager dabbling of invasion seem to be "gently caress purple guys forever. Even if a Red phantom is pitching chaos fireballs at me and my phantoms, we gotta get that purple guy first! Even if he's dressed up like a farmer dual wielding torches!"

Is it because purple dudes give you a shackle if you kill them, while killing reds give you gently caress all as a host or sign summon? That's the only "Logical" reason I can quickly think of for so many people going out of their way to kill purples instead of reds.

From a few pages back but it got me thinking about what the purpose of the Mound-builders was going to be in the long-term.

Shortly after release they enjoyed a brief period where no one had an idea who they were and summoned the purple sign without reading it because, gently caress yeah, free co-op without being embered, I'm sure the mad spirit thing is just flavor, right? They were wild cards in that they could either help or harm the summoner, but I think that dynamic was entirely dependent on player ignorance. Once the cat's out of the bag, there's only so many reasons to summon a mad phantom - for the novelty or to gently caress with them. Either way, that wild card element of being summoned into the world of an ignorant and being able to do whatever the gently caress you want will be over very soon, if they aren't already. Even then, I played completely blind from day one and still avoided purple signs like the plague if I was intent on making progress.

Just disappointed that the coolest aspect of the faction wasn't better implemented. Letting them fight bosses alongside hosts would give them a different endgame other than "I'm going to murder you before you get to the fog wall" (and can you imagine killing a host on the cusp of victory with a difficult boss? Or the paranoia a host would feel even if you have the best intentions?) Also not letting them mask the color of their summon sign seems like a lost opportunity. You'd still get the mad phantom text but if their sign was white there'd still be some element of surprise to them.

Most of this is nitpicking but I'm just not sure what mad phantoms and the people who summon them get up to nowadays. It's basically a covenant for fight clubs/duels now, which is fine, but it sucks that their big draw is going to be forgotten.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

Personally, I just cannot figure out parry timings with a shield. I was better at it in Bloodborne with the gun parries, but just cannot figure it out when it comes to the shield, for whatever reason. Dodging is so much easier for me that I just prefer it. I think it speaks to how well they designed these games that both options are possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mound-Makers are this game's Gravelord covenant: an awesome idea with tons of potential for chaos and fun that misses a few key features it needs to actually work long-term.

Max posted:

Personally, I just cannot figure out parry timings with a shield. I was better at it in Bloodborne with the gun parries, but just cannot figure it out when it comes to the shield, for whatever reason. Dodging is so much easier for me that I just prefer it. I think it speaks to how well they designed these games that both options are possible.

I've found that the parry timings are somewhat similar to DS1, so I'll share the advice that worked for me in Demon's Souls/DS1: swing your shield so that it connects with the attacker's hand mid-swing. (It's a little different in DS3 in that you can parry the tip of a weapon, but the timing is the same.)

It's tougher here because most attacks are faster, but that general guide still works. I got back into the shield-parrying swing of things by practicing on the Lothric Knights in High Wall.

I've also found that player-like enemies--when you fight NPC invaders or just NPCs--are much easier for me to parry than any other kind of enemy. They're more predictable, I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 3, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I've taken my level 40/Weap+6 (meant to be 35, but I screwed up Yoel/Yuria and took 5 more that I probably needed) character to Nameless King and Cinder somehow. Haven't bothered with either yet--too scary.

Hardest bosses so far: Dragon Armoire, Hawkboner the Truest Dragonkin, and generic Lothric Knights.
Cheated on: Dancer

Needed to +3 my Ithyrial sword for Armoire, otherwise used a Fire Longsword+6 and a Dark Sword+6 for 99% of the time.

Got my 30 vertebrae L35-L40/+6 in the swamp, and just got 3 quick summons (one of which connection failed) for Aldritch as soon as I wandered into Anor Londo. Though someone earlier said they were getting quick hits at L65/+? too. Oh, and I ran around for most of the past 2 days with Watchdogs on and got maybe 2 summons the entire time :jerkbag:

E:

:shobon:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Mound-Makers are this game's Gravelord covenant: an awesome idea with tons of potential for chaos and fun that misses a few key features it needs to actually work long-term.

I usually invade as a moundmaker and asess the situation. If its a ganksquad Ill fight them alongside other invaders but if i join some poor newbies world Ill act as a bodyguard. Red invaders/aldricht faithful get killed while the host gets to live.

Most people go "invader, have to kill em" but sometimes the host appreciates an impromptu vigilante cop coming in to kick rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

I usually invade as a moundmaker and asess the situation. If its a ganksquad Ill fight them alongside other invaders but if i join some poor newbies world Ill act as a bodyguard. Red invaders/aldricht faithful get killed while the host gets to live.

Most people go "invader, have to kill em" but sometimes the host appreciates an impromptu vigilante cop coming in to kick rear end.

My favorite Mound-Maker I ever met was when I got summoned as a bluecop to help someone in Irithyll Dungeon. The host had a white phantom and was down in the pit with the giant when I got there, with the Mound-Maker hanging out on the platform above just clapping and cheering at them while they fought the giant. The Mound-Maker then proceeded to guide them through the level, always staying out of attack range (that white phantom wanted blood), pointing at mimics or in the direction that the host should go to find a bonfire.

He was a cool dude.

I'm not sure what his endgame was because the host ended up leaving me to fight a squad of jailers and I got grab attacked to death. I hope everything worked out okay. :ohdear:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

lite_sleepr posted:

It is really not as bad as you think. It is actually easier than playing with a shield a lot of the time. Hit mobs once they are stunned, hit then a second maybe a third time and they are dead. Block boss attacks is generally bad because it will eat your entire stam bar(unless you have a great shield). Then you can't attack, dodge or even block the next incoming attack. Two handing gets you more strength which means more damage which means boss fights should be shorter which means you have to dodge less!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is this really how out of touch their community manager is?

lmao I want his job real bad

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Well I've taken my level 40/Weap+6 (meant to be 35, but I screwed up Yoel/Yuria and took 5 more that I probably needed) character to Nameless King and Cinder somehow. Haven't bothered with either yet--too scary.

I just beat the nameless king on SL40+5 and it was so disgusting, it reminded me a lot of bed of chaos as SL1 in DS1. Like Bed of Chaos you just throw yourself into the Nameless King till the rng just sorta lets you win. At least with the Twin Princes, they had patterns and clear opportunities to Eustus, so you could learn how master the fight and beat them so it feels like a victory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how he assumes it's a bug.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's the thing, if mound-makers had equal incentive to help or harm (like getting a vertabra from killing a boss, for example) then their wildcard conceit could be more believable. As it is, they're only getting rewarded if people die in your world, and killing you is a lot quicker than waiting for you to summon or get invaded by reds.

I don't know, it's still a fun conceit and I can think of ways to make it work while still being fun for all parties, but it really requires experienced, confident participants.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Harrow posted:

I've found that the parry timings are somewhat similar to DS1, so I'll share the advice that worked for me in Demon's Souls/DS1: swing your shield so that it connects with the attacker's hand mid-swing. (It's a little different in DS3 in that you can parry the tip of a weapon, but the timing is the same.)

I appreciate the advice and I am sure with enough practice I could get better at it, but dodging works so well for me that I think I'll just stick with that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

That's the thing, if mound-makers had equal incentive to help or harm (like getting a vertabra from killing a boss, for example) then their wildcard conceit could be more believable. As it is, they're only getting rewarded if people die in your world, and killing you is a lot quicker than waiting for you to summon or get invaded by reds.

I don't know, it's still a fun conceit and I can think of ways to make it work while still being fun for all parties, but it really requires experienced, confident participants.

Yeah, I agree. The Mound-Maker needs equal incentive to help as they have to harm--or, hell, more incentive to help, because I imagine the temptation to cause chaos is strong enough that even if it's a lesser reward, a lot of players will mutter "worth it" to themselves as they stab a sunbro in the back.

And their summon sign should be white by default. They shouldn't even have to mask it.

Max posted:

I appreciate the advice and I am sure with enough practice I could get better at it, but dodging works so well for me that I think I'll just stick with that.

That's fair. I mostly forced myself to practice parrying because I find it so crazy satisfying. That's a good portion of the reason Bloodborne is still my favorite, because you can parry drat near everything and it feels so good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Mound makers should have been more what purple implies. Kill a host or an invader. And imho they should be immune to host and friendly phantom damage until they hit the host.

This would mean only red and Blues could kill them before betrayal. So no lovely gank squads, can still fight club, more possibilities for blue phantoming.

Also, re: the guy talking about ds2.
The reason it's the worst souls game is the speed, the same reason everyone love bloodborne. Punch someone in all 3 games then try to roll asap after your attack. Also parries are nonsensical poo poo in 2.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is there a good resource for the active parry frames of stuff? E.g. what's the best thing to be parrying with?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The best way to blue phantom:
Enter world, find host, and then when the invader arrives wave to them, sit down with a toast and then watch the two of them fight.

I'm helping because babies need to learn to stand up for themselves. Purple dudes will often ignore me because they are cool, but the red dudes are a lot less chill and will often charge me which is not cool. It is amazing how long you can dodge if you never try to make an attack

I have been running into a fair few infinite stamina/life invaders lately too. Glad they got the hacking issues sorted out after five games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

As it is, they're only getting rewarded if people die in your world, and killing you is a lot quicker than waiting for you to summon or get invaded by reds.

And you have to get the killing blow specifically for it to count. And even then it doesn't always.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

And you have to get the killing blow specifically for it to count. And even then it doesn't always.

This is only true for phantom kills if the host dies you always get your shackle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think invading is dumb. I literally died once and then embered at the bonfire and IMMEDIATELY was invaded. I ended up killing him but for what? I gained nothing and he risked nothing, but I risked my ember and my souls. If you kill an invader you should absolutely get either an ember or their souls or something. There should be some kind of reward for winning and there should be a penalty for them losing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MZ posted:

Is there a good resource for the active parry frames of stuff? E.g. what's the best thing to be parrying with?

There was a vid linked on Reddit a while back. No one's been able to poke the memory enough to figure out exact parrying frames, but it appears that the "best" parrying weapons are:
  • Caestus: Best if you're on-the-nose with your timing. 10 frame activation window and the lowest number of total frames out of the parrying weapons. Very good for interrupting Estoc/straight sword spammers in PVP.
  • Buckler/Target Shield/Light Leather Shield: 14 frame startup, decent active frames, reasonable number of total frames (I think it was higher than the Caestus, but lower than a lot of the other ones.
Basically, Bucker-class weapons are best for interrupting predictable, slow attacks where you can use the parry beforehand, whereas the Caestus is good for fast weapons that are hard to time properly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jastiger posted:

I think invading is dumb. I literally died once and then embered at the bonfire and IMMEDIATELY was invaded. I ended up killing him but for what? I gained nothing and he risked nothing, but I risked my ember and my souls. If you kill an invader you should absolutely get either an ember or their souls or something. There should be some kind of reward for winning and there should be a penalty for them losing.

The point is that you trade extra health and the opportunity to summon help with the chance that someone can come in and be a dick to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Underwhelmed posted:

The best way to blue phantom:
Enter world, find host, and then when the invader arrives wave to them, sit down with a toast and then watch the two of them fight.

I'm helping because babies need to learn to stand up for themselves. Purple dudes will often ignore me because they are cool, but the red dudes are a lot less chill and will often charge me which is not cool. It is amazing how long you can dodge if you never try to make an attack

I have been running into a fair few infinite stamina/life invaders lately too. Glad they got the hacking issues sorted out after five games.

Those sweet, sweet forked tongues are too good to resist. As a red I can be charging the host but the second I see a blue summoned I'll make a beeline for them. You're easier to kill for twice the reward.