Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lunethex posted:

It's a labor of love :nsa:

Holy poo poo dude, use a noise gate/expander! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

Save yourself from having to chop out dead air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

JossiRossi posted:

Holy poo poo dude, use a noise gate/expander! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

Save yourself from having to chop out dead air.

I don't need to, I just do that because it's a habit. I remove all the dead air fan noises from their audio with Audacity. When I work audio I want to touch and hear everything because I want to reduce plosives and maximize atmosphere. For what it's worth, I already have Vegas set up to apply minimal Noise Gating for each audio track.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 18, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lunethex posted:

I don't need to, I just do that because it's a habit. I remove all the dead air fan noises from their audio with Audacity. When I work audio I want to touch and hear everything because I want to reduce plosives and maximize atmosphere.

Use a De-Esser! AUTOMATE EVERYTHING

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Roboky has a talent for sneaking in very quiet snarks underneath everyone else, too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can only imagine the hell that is editing my audio for the last few episodes. My volume and clarity tend to be in direct proportion to my eagerness.

Also, Barking Rules Everything Around Me.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 18, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I still edit my side of the thing so I'm going to just turn Orv down and replace him with a tuba at some point if he keeps being so shushy.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I wondered why Daud said "My head is the last place you want to be."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
A+

A fuckin +

Orv
May 4, 2011
:golfclap:

Science Corvo is stoic in the face of all hardships.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bootcha posted:

I guess projectile vomiting can count as an Outsider power.

Orv posted:

:golfclap:

Science Corvo is stoic in the face of all hardships.

I imagine him zooming in.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I guess projectile vomiting can count as an Outsider power.
If it was a target power it could be used to distract guards to sneak past or get up behind them easier. Might make Lady Boyle's party a bit messy however.

Bootcha posted:

Please tell me that isn't river krust related. :gonk:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It IS river krust

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you throw a grenade and then timestop, and put a bullet in its path, can you timestop-explode the grenade by people?

It might be useless, but it sounds fun :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Orv, you got science to do.

Orv
May 4, 2011
On it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love this thread.

"What happens if we do this crazy thing that only comes up in this rare situation?"
"WE GOTTA SCIENCE THIS poo poo SON"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm so happy I could contribute to this LP in a sciencing manner

e: there are two outcomes. With full time-stop, you have to restart time for the explosion to happen. But in the first time-stop, do the grenade and bullet still travel? :unsmigghh:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

When Corvo got fired from being the Royal Protector he got a cherry gig as an rear end in a top hat physicist.

Talking about how great Madsen is as Daud's voice actor, this game actually has a lot of big names in its voice acting, it's worth looking on IMDB just to surprise yourself. I'm surprised I couldn't catch Susan Sarandon and John Slattery, but I managed to pick up on Michael Madsen and Brad Dourif (even if I didn't know his name, I could still put the face to his voice from Dune and Criminal Minds). And in Dishonored 2 it looks like we can play Emily Kaldwin as she was always meant to be: Hit-Girl :unsmigghh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We actually did a survey of most of the voice staff to see if we could invite any of them along to commentate with us after how great Majesty went with George coming along, but looking over it it became immediately clear that these folks were all way, way too busy to hang with guys like us for the moment.

If we were at the 10k subscriber mark instead of the 3.5-4k, that would probably change. But unfortunately that wasn't something I felt we could swing right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Despite having seen Dune many years prior, it wasn't until Brad Dourif was on Voyager for like, four episodes that I really grew to like him. That's basically the worst thing I've ever said.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Your secret shame will haunt you when bushy mentat eyebrows are finally in vogue.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh just to be clear, do you mean intersect a bullet in time stop with a grenade, or something else? Cause I can probably give a decent approximation of that one with a few fireworks and a haunch of chicken.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The first like twenty seconds of Piertos dialogue had me like "oh poo poo that's the doctor from Deadwood.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's one particular event in the High Chaos version of the last level that has like a dozen possible outcomes depending on what you do at what moment. The dev team went out of their way to cover all sorts of possibilities there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It is by will alone I make my mind in motion.
It is by the blue juice that thoughts acquire speed; the hand acquires tattoos; the tattoos become a warning.
It is by will alone I make my mind in motion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Speedball posted:

There's one particular event in the High Chaos version of the last level that has like a dozen possible outcomes depending on what you do at what moment. The dev team went out of their way to cover all sorts of possibilities there.

Got to catch them all?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

This may yet surprise you, but what happens at most moments in that recording bears a surprising resemblance to butchery and mayhem.

Weird, I know.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

double nine posted:

Got to catch them all?

I thought about doing a montage of all the ways the events of high chaos could go down in the final level but considering how organic my run has been in terms of "just let it happen" I hope everyone appreciates what I decided to go with from start to finish.

Orv posted:

This may yet surprise you, but what happens at most moments in that recording bears a surprising resemblance to butchery and mayhem.

Weird, I know.

Mayhem is one of my favourite words.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just finished the Daud DLC, and when you guys get to it I hope you spend a little time sightseeing, the dev team went above and beyond as far as creating new unique resources. Particularly in the finale.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's one guy who does LPs regularly on YouTube who got really into using Rat Swarm. He'd yell, "Trial by Rat Swarm!" As he cast it on a group from the shadows.

One time a guy survived the rat swarm and he said "huh, I guess you passed the trial."

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I love this game and this LP is doing a great job showcasing how great it is! Watching the high chaos run has been especially cool, since I've only done this game non-lethally twice, Ghost and without.

I'm eternally sad that I know nobody IRL who loves it as much as I do, despite being fans of other modern stealth titles like MGS, Assassin's Creed or Arkham games. :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Loyalists

High Chaos: Youtube Polsy
Low Chaos: Youtube Polsy

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh yeah, double whammy. :peanut:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Oh man. I don't normally get any kind of motion sickness, especially from just watching videos, but that framerate in the first video was nauseating as HELL.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't want to get too in-depth about homeopathy and how it doesn't work, but the relevant bit to the video: the foundation of homeopathy is the philosophy that "like cures like". Basically Sokolov makes his elixir out of plague-infected stuff, hence Piero's comment that he doesn't have access to the prisons (and, presumably, the plague victims therein) and therefore can't take the homeopathic approach to a plague cure.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 3, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
"Sorry about the bed, Corvo."

"Yeah, it really tied the room together."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The city guard are just a bunch of bed wetters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Oh man. I don't normally get any kind of motion sickness, especially from just watching videos, but that framerate in the first video was nauseating as HELL.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't want to get too in-depth about homeopathy and how it doesn't work, but the relevant bit to the video: the foundation of homeopathy is the philosophy that "like cures like". Basically Sokolov makes his elixir out of plague-infected stuff, hence Piero's comment that he doesn't have access to the prisons (and, presumably, the plague victims therein) and therefore can't take the homeopathic approach to a plague cure.
I don't mind at all talking about it in the thread, I just didn't want to hijack the commentary by broaching a subject we didn't have the time to properly talk about, let alone the actual inclination.

In addition to the idea that like cures like (which, as a matter of fact, was part of the thought process behind the first vaccines), it also functions off the idea that medical processes should support the body's own efforts to heal itself - which again, goes directly into Piero's quandary. As he is cut off from the Natural Science institute, he can't get subjects with the plague, and therefore undergoing efforts to heal themselves.

My flustered reaction about "modern homeopathy" is that while both of these ideas and methodologies have made some good contributions to medical science in the past, the word is currently utterly co-opted by the most absurd quacks ever to exist and I am saying that knowing that there were assholes in the 1800s that sold alcoholism cures through the loving mail. Not only do these colossal dick piles peddle worthless sham medicine for everything from the common cold to loving cancer, their worthless sham medicine is so utterly without merit that I cannot conceive how it can even pass trade regulations as medicine. By that I mean they sell literally loving nothing. Gear switch to fact for a second:

Most "homeopathic medicines" have utterly inert "active ingredients" such as ruby dust that has no evidence of working in any supported scientific hypothesis or even traditional practice. There is not only no empirical evidence of this stuff working, there's not even any anecdotal evidence, let alone the whole "couple thousand years of evidence of SOMETHING good happening" the way a lot of Chinese and Ayurvedic practices have.

Beyond that, the active ingredient in many "homeopathic" mixtures is so dilute it is difficult to properly express how dilute it is. Imagine, for example, if the entirety of a medication you are to take is represented by a cube. Let us further presume that the active ingredient is the "part" by which we are measuring the overall cube. So, for example, if there is twice as much inert preservative than active ingredient, and our active ingredient "sub-cube" is 1 meter squared, the preservative sub-cube is 2 meters squared. With me so far? For a regular antibiotic, it would not be surprising to have the entire cube be 100 meters or more on a side. Or perhaps 1000, depending on the antibiotic.

Now take a flu remedy homeopathic medicine that your local CVS may, depending on where they are, sell. The "active ingredient", consisting of some gem dust of some sort, is presumed to be 1 meter squared, like our last example. But here is the kicker: the entire cube's side length is most reasonably measured not in hundreds, thousands, or even millions of meters. The entire cube's side length is most reasonably measured in light years.

There is not only no empirical evidence to suggest an ingredient so dilute could have a substantial impact on a human, there is a ton of evidence to suggest it outright does not and cannot. The entire field of toxicology outright ignores contaminants on the dilution scale of these "active ingredients" because they are not significant enough to show an effect on human biology. We are not single celled organisms after all.

So when someone puts all of that in front of me, and has the utter loving gall to act like they are providing a legitimate medical service, yes, my reaction is that they can eat the skinniest, whitest part of my rear end and when they actually deceive someone into buying their horse crap I start wondering how long they should be in jail.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Homeopathy is the placebo effect at work and it is ridiculous that we still accept it as actual medicine and that some people in my field, biology academia, still believe in it.

Never forget to beat your flask of water against leather before using it or it won't work!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

I was really, REALLY not happy with that framerate debacle but everything I tried just didn't work. It had no reasonble reason to do what it did when it did it, but that's trying to record video games I guess. They sometimes just to extremely stupid stuff.

So I do apologise again. Thankfully the issue has not cropped up in the subsequent recording, nor when I was doing some test recording for the DLC.

I can't contribute to homeopathy discussion because I snigger like the man-child I am when someone says "homeo" and I imagine the best worst Shakespeare production.

(Also if you are wondering yes, I am aware of the Dawn of War III announce trailer)

• Locked thread