Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

I love team Paladin :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

pretty smart there paladins

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The rider just looks so disappointed in the second-to-last frame. :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Poor lil dude.

But hey, smart play indeed by Team Paladin.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

enjoy hypothermia

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

AriadneThread posted:

enjoy hypothermia

Magic cloaks!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Only Lien has the cloak, but it's been established hat O-Chul never fails a fortitude save.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
O-chul has the cloak. Lien is protected by her ring of water breathing.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Kajeesus posted:

O-chul has the cloak. Lien is protected by her ring of water breathing.

Ah right I misremembered that line. But as I understood their "who's the better Paladin" banter, O-Chul's cloak is a regular nonmagical woolen cloak.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dwarves don't give a gently caress bout the cold.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

greatn posted:

Dwarves don't give a gently caress bout the cold.

They're both human.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A.o.D. posted:

They're both human.

Oh he's hosed then

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Paladin saving throws.

Honestly I was expecting a Divine Mount shark to fly out of the water but I like the team-breathing solution.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was 100% sure Lien would summon a mount, but thinking about it, "flying fish" probably doesn't cut it, celestial or not.

would they have angel wings?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I was thinking more "Sharknado" and biting the flyer out of the air.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Not convinced Lien is surviving this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

Not convinced Lien is surviving this.

Pretty sure the paladin who's entire build is based on fighting crazy poo poo at the bottom of the ocean is gonna be able to handle some chilly water.

Unless you mean, like, in general and not this specific situation.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 3, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think the blizzard going away implies a lot of time passing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Unless the blizzard was an effect created by the shaman looking guy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Who What Now posted:

Pretty sure the paladin who's entire build is based on fighting crazy poo poo at the bottom of the ocean is gonna be able to handle some chilly water.

Yeah, this. And O-Chul survives everything period. Hell, they could just keep switching that ring every few rounds and stay underwater as long as they want.

Or if they got impatient, Lien could just summon her shark and have it ram the ice and break them out somewhere else entirely.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
What's quite unrealistic here is that somebody just killed two humanoids and simply flies off without looting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I never realized before how silly the drowning rules are.

Fine for potentially dozens of turns, then three turns of 0, -1, dead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carrasco posted:

Hell, they could just keep switching that ring every few rounds and stay underwater as long as they want.

That was my assumption of what they'd do. Team Paladin has been shown to be savvy as hell so far.

I also love that this depends on last strip. It took O'chul's wisdom last round to suggest they should disengage and not fight, and Lien's skill and knowledge to know how to do it. And it took too much time with Elan to have her not tell O'chul what the plan was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 3, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

peak debt posted:

What's quite unrealistic here is that somebody just killed two humanoids and simply flies off without looting.

Would you want to go in there after the corpses? (Assume for a moment you're not an adventurer in this scenario.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taerkar posted:

I never realized before how silly the drowning rules are.

Fine for potentially dozens of turns, then three turns of 0, -1, dead.

Drown checks are measured in rounds, not turns. A high con paladin can stay under water for several minutes without danger, but then things escalate very quickly and then you die. It's not unrealistic.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
I can't tell if the attacker is supposed to be a nonhuman or simply a human wearing these.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, this. And O-Chul survives everything period. Hell, they could just keep switching that ring every few rounds and stay underwater as long as they want.

That takes care of oxygen, but lien would be passing off her protection against hypothermia a few rounds at a time. You can survive about 10 minutes in 41F water. Considering that these environs are probably closer to -40 than 40, I wouldn't give lien good odds on making it out unscathed.

Cold water kills fast.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dude. Paladins.

Lay on Hands.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

yeah that and Bless, Cure Light Wounds, Endure Elements, Resistance, Lesser Restoration, Virtue, Shield Other, Cure Moderate Wounds, Payer, Remove Curse and Break Enchantment (for cursed arctic water?) , Cure Serious Wounds, and Restoration. Paladins are built to last.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's DnD not real life, Christ. See also the fire at the Inn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shaking lemur butt posted:

I can't tell if the attacker is supposed to be a nonhuman or simply a human wearing these.

His antlers are similar to the frost giant demigod rep.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Cold water kills fast.

One of the characters in this comic was immersed in acid, and then swam back down into it as part of his escape plan.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Carrasco posted:

One of the characters in this comic was immersed in acid, and then swam back down into it as part of his escape plan.

Oh, I looked it up. Exposure is just non-lethal damage. Tiny amounts of non-lethal damage. "Why would you waste a lay on hands for that?" nonlethal damage. Welp.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The best part about the drowning rules is that drowning doesn't deal damage: it sets your HP to zero. So, if you're under some sort of effect that lets you keep fighting at negative hit points, you can drop yourself down to -300 HP, then stick your head in a bucket of water and let Davy Jones heal you back up to 0.

Also, you only need one round of air in your lungs to reset the timer entirely.

These guys are fine.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sometimes I hate that this comic exists in a D&D world. I remembered about the ring having protection from cold (it's been wonderful having regular-ish updates so I don't forget details like that by the time they matter...) and I was getting concerned for Lien until I came here and read all the reasons why hypothermia isn't even a possibility. So much for tension.

I suppose theoretically they could swap the cloak back and forth too, to whoever's not wearing the ring, but it doesn't sound like there would be much point beyond preventing mild discomfort either way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dude, 3-4 strips back both characters explained that they had magic items that protect them from cold and that was the whole joke.

e: beaten by above

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Zoe posted:

Sometimes I hate that this comic exists in a D&D world. I remembered about the ring having protection from cold (it's been wonderful having regular-ish updates so I don't forget details like that by the time they matter...) and I was getting concerned for Lien until I came here and read all the reasons why hypothermia isn't even a possibility. So much for tension.

Hypothermia is a real danger to a level 1-3 commoner (aka, regular humans). A level 10+ paladin can survive falls at terminal velocity, carry a horse on his back, walk for a hundred miles without a break or survive for weeks without food.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

The best part about the drowning rules is that drowning doesn't deal damage: it sets your HP to zero. So, if you're under some sort of effect that lets you keep fighting at negative hit points, you can drop yourself down to -300 HP, then stick your head in a bucket of water and let Davy Jones heal you back up to 0.

I feel like that's the kind of thing a lot of DMs would tell you to gently caress off on.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

I suppose theoretically they could swap the cloak back and forth too, to whoever's not wearing the ring, but it doesn't sound like there would be much point beyond preventing mild discomfort either way.

The nice thing about the comic lately is that, since at least the start of this book, it has barely if at all referenced D&D concepts, much less leaned on them as heavily as the early comics did. It feels like Burlew's done away with those trappings almost entirely, and in a way so subtle it was barely even noticeable, which is as refreshing an artistic evolution as the more action-friendly stick figure style.

Pure rules have never kept him from telling the story he wants to, and that's even more true now. But no matter how dangerous hypothermia or drowning would normally be, it's just not a credible threat to these characters as they've been established, both from the very beginning and within the last few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MikeJF posted:

I feel like that's the kind of thing a lot of DMs would tell you to gently caress off on.

More likely, laugh, let you do it once, and then clarify "THIS DOES NOT WORK" for the future.