Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fors Yard posted:

I guess I'll post my new euro system. It was from Analogue Haven. Emailed them and asked about the pre-order status and he said it was just because the cases were out of stock (waiting on Verbos power so Dark Modular could make the cases). Mentioned the option of alternate cases and I like this one a lot more - prefer the contrast of the wood grain and it was cheaper. Verbos seems to have them in the black versions of the case which I think look boring. SO glad I bought the MIDI module - I think I would have had a lot more buyers remorse if I didn't have that. Maybe fill that 3hp someday, but I'm happy with it and it's been a lot of fun. I learned on an E-MU and an ARP 2500 years ago sot it's great to have a modular system of my own. No plans of expanding and thankfully the case prevents me from doing so.

Only other non-Verbos is an Intellijel unity mixer.

I'll have sound samples to post sometime soon.

:swoon:

If I were to ever go modular that's almost the exact system I would get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i don't care that it's it's pretty much just a ripoff of buchla's style, verbos modules look absolutely fantastic :allears: i recently got a Scan & Pan, which is a great final output mixer (4 channels of voltage controlled panning/vca, plus a pretty nice sounding distorting gain stage).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Came across this CDM article and thought of this thread since we've been modular heavy as of late.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/04/here-are-3-epic-performances-on-modular-that-arent-noodling/

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

net work error posted:

Came across this CDM article and thought of this thread since we've been modular heavy as of late.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/04/here-are-3-epic-performances-on-modular-that-arent-noodling/

Pro click right here.

That Blush Response set is loving amazing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I am thinking of getting rid of my Juno-60 and then I looked at how much Eurorack it would buy me and I have to say, that was quite a wake-up call. 4 or 5 Mutable modules and that's it.

Perhaps if I ever go completely minimal, but today is not that day.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Laserjet 4P posted:

I am thinking of getting rid of my Juno-60 and then I looked at how much Eurorack it would buy me and I have to say, that was quite a wake-up call. 4 or 5 Mutable modules and that's it.

Perhaps if I ever go completely minimal, but today is not that day.
used and/or diy
folks often sell diy mutable stuff for good prices

also i got my uVCF today , now im just waiting for my tax return :unsmigghh:
e bolded the part that makes 90 HP seem like a good idea

byob historian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 25, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

sofullofhate posted:

Pro click right here.

That Blush Response set is loving amazing.

I've been watching it and it's really good.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Mr. Glass posted:

i don't care that it's it's pretty much just a ripoff of buchla's style, verbos modules look absolutely fantastic :allears: i recently got a Scan & Pan, which is a great final output mixer (4 channels of voltage controlled panning/vca, plus a pretty nice sounding distorting gain stage).

Buchla style was a selling point for me. Nice to get that idea for a fraction of the price and it helped a lot to buy them all both saving a good chunk of money as well as limiting my choices. If I worked with all of eurorack I would never decide anything and always swapping things out and much easier to go down the rabbit hole. It really shouldn't matter, but I also really like having a cohesive looking system. That scan & pan looks really cool - bummed but also glad there's no room for it.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Bit of a shame all three of those modular noodling videos also feature extensive non-modular kit: computers and a veritable army of Elektron gear. Somewhat defeats the point they're trying to make.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Also they're still pretty noodly ;)

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
If you want an incredible modular performance see Richard Devine. One of the best live electronic experiences I've had. Never a dull moment and truly a master at work. Highly recommended.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Shipping on the Seaboard Rise to Oz was way too expensive, but lo and behold I got a job interview in the UK so I picked one up while I was there last week. It's pretty fuckin' great. Mine seems to have a firmware issue, but their customer service has been fantastic; six emails back in forth in the space of a few hours, and now that it's become clear that it's an actual problem they're mailing me a new one and paying for postage all the way to and from Australia.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Mr. Glass posted:

Sorry to quote this again, but have you tried running an envelope into the level cv of one of the channels? Wondering if it would work well as a multi-VCA and possible replacement for a single VCA. With no attenuators for each input, I don't know if the slider would have to be all the way down which might not give much flexibility (if having it up slightly would make it always on, but still follow the ADSR). An envelope with multiple outputs would make it feasible to use it.

pfs Write fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 26, 2016

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

OK, after the feedback you guys gave, here's where I'm leaning now. I'm something like a month out from picking anything up, unless I decide I really want that VCA4p sooner rather than later.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/278219

Old
Group 1: Happy Ending Kit, Maths, and A-132-3 DVCA
Group 2: Game System, Grids
Group 3: Clock Divider, A-138B Mixer, A-110 VCO, Disting Mk3

New
Group 1: Happy Ending Kit, Maths, and Bubblesound VCA4p
Group 2: Braids, attenuator (a Thonk At-At-At if I can find a kit or source the parts, otherwise I'll start with the Doepfer A-183-1 and work from there)
Group 3: Game System, A-138B Mixer, Disting Mk3
Group 4: Ripples

I dropped drum stuff for now at the suggestion here. I'm sure I'll circle back once I hit a third or fourth row. Also, I think I had initially mis-understood Grids. I thought it was a sound source for drums, but it looks more like a sequencer. It's still cool, but something that I don't have use for yet.

Bubblesound's VCA4p won out over the other VCAs. The uVCA II may circle back if I decide I would rather have a pot for the lin/exp selection instead of a switch. Or if I end up finding it somewhere locally, the Seattle Synth meetup was heavy with Intellijel and Mutable Instrument stuff for sale, I don't think anyone had Bubblesound.

I spent a while listening to VCOs, I want to get another sound source. Of the demos I've listened to, the Braids got me most excited.

With my current setup, besides wanting a VCA I've also found myself craving an attenuator. The At-At-At looks like a great value, less than $30 for a triple passive attentuator kit. The only problem seems to be availability, if I can't find it or source the parts when I hit the point I want to get it, I'll probably fall back onto a different attentuator. I know the maths has attentuators, which is part of why this is in a second round. On the other hand, a $30 module is hard to beat. It looks like a pretty simple kit, not a lot of parts and easy to source parts, so I might just go full DIY, put parts on a breadboard, and then lasercut the faceplate.

This left about 18 HP on the second rack. I like the Mutable Instruments stuff, and feel like I will want another filter soon. Right now I'm eyeing a Ripples to use up 8 of that HP.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

pfs Write posted:

Sorry to quote this again, but have you tried running an envelope into the level cv of one of the channels? Wondering if it would work well as a multi-VCA and possible replacement for a single VCA. With no attenuators for each input, I don't know if the slider would have to be all the way down which might not give much flexibility (if having it up slightly would make it always on, but still follow the ADSR). An envelope with multiple outputs would make it feasible to use it.

seems to work. the slider is additive, so you do have to have it all the way down for it to be fully off at 0v. if you're using something like maths for your envelope, though, attenuation can be done on the source side.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Group 2: Braids, attenuator (a Thonk At-At-At if I can find a kit or source the parts, otherwise I'll start with the Doepfer A-183-1 and work from there)

Maths has 2 attenuators (channel 2 and 3) so you may not need a dedicated one right away. more can't hurt though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Chainclaw posted:

OK, after the feedback you guys gave, here's where I'm leaning now. I'm something like a month out from picking anything up, unless I decide I really want that VCA4p sooner rather than later.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/278219

Old
Group 1: Happy Ending Kit, Maths, and A-132-3 DVCA
Group 2: Game System, Grids
Group 3: Clock Divider, A-138B Mixer, A-110 VCO, Disting Mk3

New

I dropped drum stuff for now at the suggestion here. I'm sure I'll circle back once I hit a third or fourth row. Also, I think I had initially mis-understood Grids. I thought it was a sound source for drums, but it looks more like a sequencer. It's still cool, but something that I don't have use for yet.

Bubblesound's VCA4p won out over the other VCAs. The uVCA II may circle back if I decide I would rather have a pot for the lin/exp selection instead of a switch. Or if I end up finding it somewhere locally, the Seattle Synth meetup was heavy with Intellijel and Mutable Instrument stuff for sale, I don't think anyone had Bubblesound.

I spent a while listening to VCOs, I want to get another sound source. Of the demos I've listened to, the Braids got me most excited.

With my current setup, besides wanting a VCA I've also found myself craving an attenuator. The At-At-At looks like a great value, less than $30 for a triple passive attentuator kit. The only problem seems to be availability, if I can't find it or source the parts when I hit the point I want to get it, I'll probably fall back onto a different attentuator. I know the maths has attentuators, which is part of why this is in a second round. On the other hand, a $30 module is hard to beat. It looks like a pretty simple kit, not a lot of parts and easy to source parts, so I might just go full DIY, put parts on a breadboard, and then lasercut the faceplate.

This left about 18 HP on the second rack. I like the Mutable Instruments stuff, and feel like I will want another filter soon. Right now I'm eyeing a Ripples to use up 8 of that HP.

Analogue Haven carries Bubblesound, and they show the VCA4p in stock right now.

:devil:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
New Rytm OS 1.30, twelve new synth machines. :hellyeah:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Make music y'all. Here's my take on a self-generating patch a la Todd Barton's Krell stuff for Buchla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgSTaUL160

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Well poo poo, now I'm seeing less of a point in waiting for a Machinedrum. I want to make bloopy weird drums without sampling, and it seems to be catching up to the MD in this capacity.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I'm very susceptible to suggestion, and picked up an LxD last week. It sounds so good. I spent about five minutes reading about Krell patches, and then gave up and just used Tides Parasites' "Two Drunks" mode: https://www.instagram.com/p/BE4v66kjjex/

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
do you like the sound on both channels?
i aint figured out the special sauce to get the 6dB side one mine singing so i mostly run cv through it. come to think of it, maybe that is the special sauce? idk i think im gonna go play it for a little while and switch the vactrols from channel to channel and compare

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I dig the 6dB channel for "plucking" FMed oscillators.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I like the 6dB side much more than the 12. The 12's ping is just too fast for me, except for something like hi-hats.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Same, I like the 6db channel a lot more. I have done some patches with CV in to the 12db channel but striking the 6db that sounded nice, though.

Also, UPS has just been sitting on my new disting for three days. :argh:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't forget that you can also turn it into a little vactrol envelope if you run some steady voltage into the input and strike it. Can be fun for controlling FM amounts or whatever.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I used LxD on several patches in this track that I recorded tonight:

constellation

All the 6dB channel, too, oddly enough.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgNo5Smino

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm speechless.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
legendary

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

:perfect:

Amazing. Amazing.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only watched like five seconds of it earlier and now that I've finished it, it did not disappoint

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gonna have to finish later but I was grinning like an idiot when Moroder showed up with his signature arpeggio lines.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Cross-quoting Tayter Swift from the iOS thread, since I figured people here might be legitimately interested in this one:

I've been hearing really good things about it so far. Apparently the new APIs (Metal, etc) make a legitimate difference in terms of snappiness and responsiveness compared to older apps like iMS-20.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

wow. just wow

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Cross-quoting Tayter Swift from the iOS thread, since I figured people here might be legitimately interested in this one:

I've been hearing really good things about it so far. Apparently the new APIs (Metal, etc) make a legitimate difference in terms of snappiness and responsiveness compared to older apps like iMS-20.

But you will probably need a new iThing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

0dB posted:

But you will probably need a new iThing.

Ok, so I downloaded the Model 15 app on Tuesday and I've had a few opportunities to dick around with it on an iPad Air 1 and iPhone 6 since then. So far I've felt fine on both devices, although the older iPad has felt a bit warm during use. I admittedly haven't pushed it super hard with a buttload of other apps running yet but it feels snappy enough that I'd trust it to be fine. The "patch bay" interface for routing to other apps/places is a clever touch.

The UI is dope and all of the little hidden usability tweaks place it head and shoulders above almost every other virtual synth app I've tried. It's that good. It's really fluid and there's a ton of depth here- lots of stuff that the promos don't even mention- and it's apparent that Moog and the developers put a ton of work and care into it. This app requires you to read the manual and probably watch a few YouTube videos. Believe the WWDC hype about Metal as well, I guess.

"Double-tap to place a patch cable" and "toggle cable translucency on/off" need to be adopted by every other modular app (I'm looking at the KORG ones like iMS-20 here in particular).

The iPhone interface is largely a shrunken-down version of the iPad one. It's definitely quite usable but I also feel like it takes a backseat to the tablet UI. You move about and zoom in/out on the same virtual Model 15 "cabinet" that you would on the iPad but you're working from a much smaller display. Chalk it up to the cost of releasing a single universal app instead of separate iPad/iPhone versions.

Like with KORG Gadget, I'm perfectly ok with this. It's probably way too finicky to do anything serious on unless you're, like, 12, but it's flexible enough that you can noodle about and/or learn a bit about modular synthesis on it from the comfort of the bus/work/the line at Chipotle/your bed/the forest/your bro's house/the bathroom/the doctor's office/a Hong Kong brothel. I comfortably did the first two tutorials on my phone in bed while my girlfriend slept next to me. The app definitely shines more on a tablet, and the phone version feels more like a nice companion to that. On paper, they're both equally capable, however, with the same ins/outs including (polyphonic, USB/wireless) CoreMIDI and Ableton Link, among others.

Regardless, the sound quality is pretty awesome. I've had a lot of fun just plugging in a pair of ATH-M50 and dicking about with the presets. Especially after blazing. It's a wonderful, wonderful sounding softsynth.

For $30, I'd say it's worth it- even just as a learning tool or fun diversion. The real deal costs $10k. If you can spend $250 on a Microbrute or $600 on a Mother32 you can spend $30 on this. And if you can't spend hundreds on hardware, then this is the new best poor man's alternative.

When I last checked, there were only two tutorials available. If Moog really stick with this and add tons more I could see it becoming a really valuable gateway to ease people into modular. But even if they don't, this is still a really faithful, responsive emulation of a beloved analog synth- there are a bevy of tutorials that one could feasibly work through using nothing more than this app and maybe a MIDI controller if one were so inclined.

I'm sure it runs better on newer hardware, but as I said before, it's not remotely bad on my slightly older gear. I'm pleased that they baked in support for iPad Pro features like the Pencil and bigger screen- if only because I was already planning to upgrade my iPad to a Pro.

Here's the SonicState dudes going on about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIC0k7KQyM&t=582s

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo it's beautiful.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, so I downloaded the Model 15 app on Tuesday

Thanks for this. I just don't want a THIRD iPad I guess. But would be nice to own a Moog that wasn't out of tune 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I saw the Model 15 and I was like "eh maybe I'll buy it some day when it goes on sale", but then in that review they were talking about how it's already compatible with all of the Seaboard gestures. That's loving awesome, so I bought it immediately. My replacement Seaboard doesn't get here til Tuesday, but I've already got a Seaboner to try it out with this.