Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CI you're not even trying anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Name a single charity that actually achieved anything

Tax rich people more and let government do their job. And stop this loving kabuki charity bullshit

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I consented to have my census information released in the year 2106 even tho I hope Canada will no longer exist in the year 2106 :rip:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THC posted:

I consented to have my census information released in the year 2106 even tho I hope Canada will no longer exist in the year 2106 :rip:

Thank You

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Wedge Regret

Cultural Imperial posted:

Tax rich people more and let government do their job. And stop this loving kabuki charity bullshit

Agreed 100%

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Glad that's an option. I want my great-great grandchildren to know I was a Pastafarian.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

ColdBlooded posted:

lovely things for lots of Manitobans. No coincidence that this came out 2 weeks after the provincial election; I'm not naive enough to think it would've made a huge difference, but this would've definitely hurt the Conservatives a bit.

It's time to nationalize telcos.

Saskatchewan is the only province with a nationalized (provincialized?) telco. Saskatchewan is the only province that's had a right wing government for the past ten years.

Sounds like the PCs didn't get into power soon enough imo.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

médecins sans frontières are ok. the rest are garbage tho

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Statscan doesn't have "exempt staff", anyone we bring in from outside swears the same oath as the rest of us and if we find out that there's been the slightest confidentiality breach we come down on them like the hammer of God.

Seriously, even something as minor as an interviewer leaving a message on your answering machine that specifies your dwelling is sampled in the Labour Force Survey leads to disciplinary action. Somebody running through personal data would end up having a bad time real quick.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

He said it wasn't at Statscan he saw someone look at something they shouldn't have. He's actually just saying one time someone in Ottawa looked at something they shouldn't have, therefore nobody should ever comply with government information requests.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lassitude posted:

He said it wasn't at Statscan he saw someone look at something they shouldn't have. He's actually just saying one time someone in Ottawa looked at something they shouldn't have, therefore nobody should ever comply with government information requests.

He's saying that protected B information isn't handled with as much care as it should be, outside of the context of the census. And he's right. Not doing the census is a weird response to that though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it's a refreshing change from people panicking that we bought machines from Lockheed Martin. Here's Non-Euclidian Uncle Sam to tell you more

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Statscan didn't even direct people to an https landing page.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I knew we shouldn't have hired the guy who designed the obamacare site

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao HTTPS

Get the gently caress outta here Michael geist

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jordan7hm posted:

He's saying that protected B information isn't handled with as much care as it should be, outside of the context of the census. And he's right. Not doing the census is a weird response to that though.

Was it that, or was he referring to some party's political database? Speaking of Hammer of God, those things need a good smiting.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Eox posted:

I knew we shouldn't have hired the guy who designed the obamacare site

That disaster of a website was made by the consultant arm of Bell.

They managed to set back the Obamacare rollout further than the effort of all Republicans combined. :canada:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lmao HTTPS

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lmao HTTPS

What's the issue with HTTPS?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm saying stfu computer nerds

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
CI is awesome and correct, because he tells people to gently caress off who need to be told to gently caress off, including me, because I'm a giant oval office.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This thread would be boring as poo poo without CI and PT6A. I wish Hal posted more often though

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Christy Clark's government continues to outshine the antics of the Harper Government.

While Harper would just decline media coverage and only come out when it was on his terms, Christy responds to scandal by trolling, daring anyone to call her out on it.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/finance+minister+mike+jong+doesn+email+says+premier+that+with/11771282/story.html

quote:

In a scene at times resembling a Seinfeld episode, B.C. Premier Christy Clark on Tuesday said she will not force her minister of finance to use his government email account, as she recognizes that some people are less comfortable with modern technology than others.

Speaking to reporters at an unrelated government announcement in downtown Vancouver, Clark struggled to stay composed as she noted that Mike de Jong, a trained lawyer and one-time B.C. Liberal leadership hopeful, also still uses a rotary phone and drives a “1983 Miata.”

“Some people are more comfortable with modern technology than others,” said Clark. “Mike is a farmer. And I know that some farmers use email, I know that some don’t. And he is one of them. I’m not going to force him to use email. I’m not going to force him to stop using his rotary phone.”

De Jong’s aversion to his government email account came to light earlier this week, after CKNW aired a story based on a freedom of information request related to a memo Clark sent out last year to government staff and ministers in the wake of a blistering report by B.C.’s privacy commissioner.

Elizabeth Denham’s report concluded government staff routinely triple-delete emails to avoid FOI requests. Clark ordered all staff and ministries to cease the practice. However, within CKNW’s FOI return was an email from de Jong’s chief of staff saying the minister “does not participate in email.”

In a written response, the ministry of finance said the minister has a “longstanding practice of requiring” government information — including briefing notes, decision notes, memos and correspondence — to be delivered to him on paper, rather than email.

“Correspondence to and from the minister and ministry is documented and retained as required legislation, and is available under the provisions of the (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy) Act,” the statement read. “His choice not to receive information or hold conversations by email is a matter of personal preference as a way to manage and prioritize the volume of information his portfolio already entails.”

During a more sober portion of her answer, Clark heaped praise on de Jong for what he’s accomplished as minister of finance. De Jong was raised on a modest-sized farm in Matsqui, which he still owns.

“I think the minister of finance is doing a fantastic job — (he) balanced four budgets, created huge surpluses, salted away $100 million in our prosperity fund already,” she said. “I think he is doing a great job.”

She's going to win again in 2017.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

less than three posted:

She's going to win again in 2017.

Yes.

Mike may be the only member of the government with a paper trail, so hopefully he continues living in 1985.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

I agree completely.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Charities are less efficient than the government so I will have to also agree. Many charities are not able or willing to get what they provide to the people that need it most so their aid tends to be biased either intentionally or non-intentionally.

We don't need to be subsidizing proselytization.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yep I'll give blood when they give tax credits

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Charity, like voting, is cathartic and deprives the populace of revolutionary motivation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Good Tuesday morning to you.

It’s World Press Freedom Day... an occasion to celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom, assess the state of it around the world, defend the media from attacks on their independence and and pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the line of duty. It’s tough times for journalists around the world these days. Here’s why.

They Mounties might always get their man, as the saying goes, but what about their papers? Although RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson won’t disclose how it’s going to happen, he says the force is “hopeful” they’re about to get their mitts on the Panama Papers. “We are obviously interested what those papers and the discussions around those papers – what it means and what criminality may be at play” he told reporters after testifying before the Senate committee on national security and defence. The Globe and Mail’s Robert Fife has that story.

Canada’s a bit late to the party, but about to join the dozens of other countries who are already there by signing on to a key United Nations anti-torture agreement -- more than a decade after it was passed. The convention “allows for the establishment of national and international systems for inspecting detention centres where torture often takes place in secrecy.”

Thanks, but no thanks. Interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose still has no desire to seek the permanent leadership of the party, despite a push that’s trying to convince her to do it. CP’s Stephanie Levitz has that story. Meanwhile, Tony Clement says Ambrose would damage her credibility in caucus if she decided to run after promising she wouldn’t.

Apparently Pierre Karl Péladeau isn’t big on party helms either. In case you missed it, the leader of the Parti Québécois announced yesterday he’s resigning, less than a year after taking the reins.

Here’s why his legacy may be an identity crisis for the PQ.

Two divisive topics in the political sphere got some attention in Ottawa last night. At a MacDonald-Laurier Institute hosted event on mass resettlement of refugees Elizabeth May and David Frum went head to head in a lively debate. Our Janice Dickson was there. Meanwhile, at a panel discussion hosted by Fair Vote Canada, panelists delved into electoral reform and the feasibility of the Liberals' 18-month timeline. Siekierski has that one covered.

So this sounds a lot like field training...but at a desk. A few public servants and military staff stuck working the May long weekend at National Defence headquarters will be armed with headlamps and bottled water to deal with working in the dark. The lights will be out -- as will the toilets, elevators and ventilation system -- as part of regular maintenance in the building. Because working May 2-4 wasn’t fun enough...

Alberta's two conservative political leaders are not impressed by a convention that voted to look at forming a third right-centre party. Wildrose’s Brian Jean says it wouldn’t be helpful at all, as it’s “more difficult to get to one from three than it is from two.'' Adds Ric McIver, interim PC leader: "If I was going to unite the right, I'm not sure I would be doing it by creating more parties on the right.'' Dean Bennett has the story.

Here and there:
  • Small Business Minister Bardish Chagger speaks at FITCuba 2016, Cuba's international tourism fair, which is recognizing Canada as this year's guest country of honour.
  • In Beverly Hills, Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz takes part in a panel discussion at the Milken Institute.
  • The Conference Board of Canada hosts its Business Innovation Summit 2016 continues.
  • The Economic Club of Canada hosts a panel discussion aimed at raising awareness and the need for mental health support for Canadian Armed Forces personnel, veterans and their families. Panelists include: Veterans Minister Kent Hehr, veteran Andrew Garsch (Capt. retired) and
  • Louise Bradley, president and CEO of the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
  • Statistics Canada releases a study on family income mobility of Canadian tax filers from 1982 to 2012.
  • United Nations Representative for Disarmament, Kim Won-soo, holds a press conference to discuss the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of the use of nuclear weapons.
  • MP Rob Oliphant announces the introduction of Bill S-201, an Act to Prohibit and Prevent Genetic Discrimination. He will be joined by members of the Canadian Coalition for Genetic Fairness.
  • Alex Neve, Amnesty International Canada, and Mohamed Fahmy, journalist, are among the speakers at a press conference calling on Canada to ratify the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture.
  • Activists and survivors of torture hold a rally on Parliament Hill to call on Canada to take steps to prevent torture around the world.
  • Human rights activist, Dalal Abdallah, holds a press conference on why Canada must recognise ISIS atrocities against Yazidis and Christians as genocide.
  • KPMG partner Gregory Wiebe testifies at the House of Commons finance committee on tax avoidance and evasion.
  • Information commissioner, Suzanne Legault, gives the keynote address at the annual World Press Freedom Day awards luncheon.
  • Finance Minister Bill Morneau attends Question Period in the Senate.
  • The Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada hosts a reception to celebrate Canadian music talent. Appearing and performing are Karim Ouellet and Sam Roberts.
  • Mrs. Sharon Johnston attends the Champions of Mental Health Awards Gala.
  • Gov. Gen. David Johnston presents the 2016 Killam Prizes to five eminent Canadian scholars during a ceremony.
  • The 2016 Spring Reports of the Auditor General of Canada are tabled in the House of Commons.
  • Representatives from the Multiple Sclerosis Society of] Canada and members of the MS community meet with MPs to launch MS Awareness Month.
  • Heritage Minister Melanie Joly, along with Telefilm Canada, hosts Movie Night on the Hill showing the film Room.

As the U.S. election machine chugs on, all eyes are on Indiana today, as residents vote in the state primary. There’s also likely a wee bit of sweating going on. This is pretty much Ted Cruz’s last big chance to stop Donald Trump — and a huge opportunity for Trump to push Cruz to the brink of defeat. If you believe the polls, Cruz is in big trouble today. Politico has that story.

As for Bernie Sanders, tonight’s outcome isn’t going to have a dramatic effect on his fortunes, as he’s determined to stick around until the convention. But a win wouldn’t hurt amid all the talk of a sputtering campaign lately. Politico has that one too.

Meanwhile in Turkey’s Parliament, they’re brawling once again, with MPs jumping onto tables and dive-bombing the crowd. Question period has got nothing on this!

In Featured Opinion this morning:

Finally this morning. After hanging with Harry yesterday to launch the countdown to the 2017 Invictus Games in Toronto, Justin Trudeau got in on the trash talk ahead of the 2016 event in Orlando. Yes, we know some of you will *insert eye roll here.*

Anywhoo, have yourself a great day.

National

Pierre Karl Péladeau steps down as PQ leader (iPolitics)
Ambrose not changing her mind about seeking permanent Tory leadership: spokesman (iPolitics)
Starting electoral reform process has taken longer than anticipated: Holland (iPolitics)
Elizabeth May and David Frum debate Canada's role in resettling refugees (iPolitics)
Senator Mike Duffy returns to Parliament Hill after sensational acquittal on 31 charges (Canadian Press)
Trudeau offre un habit de neige à la princesse Charlotte [Trudeau gifts a snowsuit to Princess Charlotte] (La Presse)

Atlantic

Canadian Cancer Society on P.E.I. worried about cuts to health promotion budget (CBC News)
Kellie Leitch campaigns for Tory leadership on P.E.I. (CBC News)

Prairies

Pallister likely to reward veterans with cabinet posts Tuesday (Winnipeg Free Press)

Alberta

Tax burden lowest in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Conference Board of Canada report says (CBC News)

British Columbia

B.C. announces cut to film and TV industry tax credits (The Globe and Mail)

North

N.W.T. Power Corp proposes 0.8% fuel fund refund to customers (CBC News)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

hahahaha oh no some unspecified public employees will find out you don't have a loving farm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How the gently caress do you have a farm and not adapt to modern technology

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Not leaving behind a paper trail that could reveal your dirty laundry is pretty much the definition of a politican adapting to modern technology.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

How the gently caress do you have a farm and not adapt to modern technology

MIke de Jong? He's not a farmer, he's a lawyer and has been an elected official since 1992. It's just Liberals loving with you. Farmers love technology, the ones I know use it to constantly send me racist fwdfwdfwds and/or play Hay Day.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
De jong owns like 8 houses. He's a hedge fund manager.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
CI whats your RFD username, don't lie I know you got one

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

De jong owns like 8 houses. He's a hedge fund manager.

Counterpoint: he has a BA from Carleton. He may be too simple minded to figure out email.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Remember when the Immigration Minister swore that adding 25,000 people to their workload wouldn't make the process any less secure? Well, um... technically that was true but

quote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/citizenships-granted-without-all-the-checks-ag-1.2885273

People with serious criminal records and others using potentially phoney addresses are among those who managed to secure Canadian citizenship, thanks to a system that doesn't do enough to root out fraud, the auditor general has found.

Michael Ferguson's audit of citizenship applications between July 2014 and last fall found the Immigration Department has granted citizenships based on incomplete information or without all the necessary checks because it's not applying its own methods to combat fraud.

The issue isn't the department's alone -- the auditor general found they weren't getting timely or enough information from border officials or the RCMP either to help flag suspect cases. The problems range from immigration officials not routinely checking travel documents against a database of known fake papers to a failure by officers or their computers to flag problematic addresses that could point to residency fraud..

In one instance, it took seven years for official to cotton on to the fact a single address had been used by at least 50 different applicants during overlapping time periods. Of the 50, seven became Canadian citizens.

A review of 49 cases where an individual's address had been flagged as problematic concluded that in 18 instances, citizenship officials didn't follow up to see if the applicant actually met residency requirements.

In four cases, the RCMP failed to tell the Immigration Department about criminal charges laid against people who'd already passed the criminal records check step of the citizenship process. Two eventually became citizens; a third failed the knowledge test while the fourth abandoned their application.

The auditor general also found four people who should have been ineligible because of their criminal records, but were granted citizenship even though the officers had access to the information.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Presenting the most Canadian sentence I've read in 2016:

quote:

Dan Lannon, a senior vice-president at real estate company Colliers International, said with about three million square feet of office space under construction, the downtown core could have 11 million square feet of empty offices in 2018. That's the equivalent of about 647 NHL rinks.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Also I just found out that Notley cut the wildfire management budget by 15 million dollars a couple weeks ago

I guess you don't need to worry about fires when your land looks like this:

:byewhore: Alberta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
who cares about alberta