Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

OperaMouse posted:

Been doing a Spain achievement run myself.

I also got these:
4 trade companies with bonus merchants, 10 provinces with gold, Aden+Hormuz+Malacca, At every continent, Spain is the emperor (super easy: 17 out of 20 remaining princes, including Austria were protestant, yet external support from Russia, Ottomans, France, Pope ensured a Catholic empire; 2 alliances was all it took).
Master of India I already took in another run, and 100 years is a bit tight for it.
Maybe try to get the 500 heavy ship Armada?

Four Trade Companies, I will have to look into how many more I can set up. I know I got 2 currently, so setting up another two shouldn't be to hard overall.
A Pile of Gold, I'm not sure why this hasn't fired yet. I own almost all of Australia, South America, Central American, and a decent chunk of the west coast of North America. Do Vassals not count for owning mines?
Trade Hegemon, didn't notice this one, I will look at it.
Spain is the Emperor, I have not touched HRE at all, so I have no idea how to start to push into it.
Master of India, India is allied with Ottomans, and Danzig I think. No way for me to grab that this run.

Thanks for the ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Redchaostry posted:

After failing my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! game I decided to do something easier. Picked 5 Colonies using Castile. It's now 1719, I got 5 colonies fairly long ago, just took the rest of the Caribbean from England/Holland for No Pirates in My Caribbean. Took Japan and Mexico/Cuba for their achievements. Anything else anyone can recommend to grab before riding out the rest of the time?

Spain is the Emperor is not too hard to get, you just gotta vassalize a bunch of electors and they'll vote for you. You don't actually need to join the empire first.

Trade Hegemon is super easy since you only need to own 3 specific provinces, not control the nodes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 2, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm massively addicted to taking Economic, Quantity and Defensive ideas. It is a 30% discount on army maintenance.

On top of all the other great stuff in those idea groups.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I've never played as Austria and I'm thinking of giving it a try, got any tips? I haven't kept up with the Imperial Authority changes so I'm not sure what I should be doing to pass reforms, and most of the advice seems outdated.

I'm guessing I wanna marry a lot and fish for PUs, but without allying any small HRE countries so they won't ask me to help them annex others (wait, do they even do that)? And if HRE blobbing does happen I wanna release those countries for extra IA. Guess I wanna set every HRE country as a special interest just so I can keep track of everything that goes on.

PUing Bohemia and Hungary or getting the Burgundy inheritance would be nice, but other than that I should probably try to conquer Venice and the Ottos asap. Anything I'm missing?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Most important is remaining emperor and keeping the empire together. That means adding the non-Imperial provinces of Northern Italy to the empire, i.e. eating Venice for a large part, and the Pope + Urbino.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't do achievements, but I think I might do a homemade gimmick game.

Amazonian Amazon

Custom nation with traditions: Female generals allowed, female advisor chance +100%

Female monarch and heir.

Start in Ukraine/Sarmatia area and end up controlling all of Brazil/Amazon river.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
a tragedy, in three parts

horror!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

super fart shooter posted:

I'm Hosokawa, and the dumb ally is the daimyo that starts out with one province all the way down in the southwest, in Kyushu. Which means the Shogun and everyone else basically has to stomp all over my land to get to them anyway so I doubt there's any way I can get out without losing a ton of stuff. I'm not sure if it's the tech 4 thing, but I bet it is, cause like I said, they only have 3k troops and our alliance barely has more than half what the shogun and everyone else does, there's no reasonable way they could've thought we had a chance.

There's two bugs at play here, both of which have been acknowledged by the guy who took over AI coding from Wiz:
  1. The AI thinks having Mil Tech 4 is multiple times better than having Mil Tech 3. So it will happily declare suicide wars if their opponents are one level back. This is probably contributing.
  2. The AI doesn't consider subjects when making war declaration calculations. So when it declares war on Japan, it thinks it's fighting only Japan, and not all of the other non-allied vassals. This is almost certainly you're biggest problem.

So long story short, don't play in Japan (or play as Japan I guess?). Why these haven't been hotfixed out I have no idea.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They aren't severe enough to warrant a hotfix by themselves and there's no hotfix-worthy bugs they can piggyback onto, so they're waiting for the bugfix major patch along with everything else.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mantis42 posted:

One thing I don't really understand about states is how sometimes it seems I don't need to make permanent cores when I turn territories into states and sometimes I do. If you have a permanent claim on the area does it just automatically upgrade the core type? I'm not sure what's happening.

I've noticed when I integrate subjects it gives the full core, I think it's just an oversight.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

They aren't severe enough to warrant a hotfix by themselves and there's no hotfix-worthy bugs they can piggyback onto, so they're waiting for the bugfix major patch along with everything else.

Eh, the subjects thing is pretty damned big. If you're going to hotfix out the custom nation bugs from the last game, you might as well fix this one too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
yeah but unlike that, this one doesn't let you exploit achievements and thus ruin the sanctity of EU4

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the thing with hotfixes is they don't get that much in the way of QA, so you're always running the risk of introducing even newer and more exciting bugs whenever you release a hotfix

news: 1.16.4 fixes miltech 4 war behavior, but accidentally causes all war declarations to be against tag 0 [sweden]

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

yeah but unlike that, this one doesn't let you exploit achievements and thus ruin the sanctity of EU4

Too late

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

TTBF posted:

Try to declare war with them as belligerents and you'll be able to call the ottomans in. This has worked for me as a way around distant war penalties.

The only problem with that is that I have no cbs against them, and can't fabricate any claims due to not having any adjacent provinces. My only choice on that front would be to declare a no cb war, I'll try messing around in the diplomacy screen to see if I can goad them into embargoing or insulting me. Otherwise I'm looking at a nasty war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trundel posted:

The only problem with that is that I have no cbs against them, and can't fabricate any claims due to not having any adjacent provinces. My only choice on that front would be to declare a no cb war, I'll try messing around in the diplomacy screen to see if I can goad them into embargoing or insulting me. Otherwise I'm looking at a nasty war.

Eating the 2 stab hit will be way easier than fighting the Ottomans would be. Way easier.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Mantis42 posted:

I saw a post where they debate the source of "Spain is not the Emperor".

Actually. The real reason for that is that we had a beta in eu3, that keot reporting bugs that Spain should be the emperor of hre for a long time, as it was Habsburg, and the senior branch was in spain..

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there a mod that adds some sort of notepad to the game?
I keep having problems remembering what I wanted to do in my game when I stay away for more than a couple days.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

I keep having problems remembering what I wanted to do in my game when I stay away for more than a couple days.

Ability to set some manual popup for a certain future date would also be awesome.

"Truce between Ottomans and PLC is up."

"Start integrating other vassal today to make sure both integrations don't get the diplo rep penalty."

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

Well, the easiest solution is probably a literal notepad, but if you're going between a laptop and a PC carrying one around just for EU4 would be a bit silly. Your best bet as of now is to rename cities, renaming provinces makes events confusing and should be left to funny MP map insults.

OperaMouse posted:

Ability to set some manual popup for a certain future date would also be awesome.

"Start integrating other vassal today to make sure both integrations don't get the diplo rep penalty."

This would be cool.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 3, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My Austria run was already going well... And then this happened:

:getin:

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 3, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elman posted:

My Austria run was already going well... And then this happened:

:getin:
This is terrifying.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So this is probably the first time when playing any of the Europa Universalis games that I have gotten this far. I just formed Germany and I wonder what to do next? Are there any fun achievements that I might be able to get? Since I started as Prussia and took Innovative, quality and offensive I have space marines so nobody is really a challenge.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That France looks like it may need some size reduction...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You an always try kicking in France's teeth, that's usually a fun challenge by that point in the game even if you don't get an achievement for it.

You could also go for some of the HRE achievements

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

So this is probably the first time when playing any of the Europa Universalis games that I have gotten this far. I just formed Germany and I wonder what to do next? Are there any fun achievements that I might be able to get? Since I started as Prussia and took Innovative, quality and offensive I have space marines so nobody is really a challenge.

That HRE is a stiff breeze away from being dismantled, you can do that.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Become biggest trade power in Venice, Genoa and English Channel.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why are your armies so small?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks for the advice!

Gort posted:

Why are your armies so small?

My standard stack is 12 infantry, 2 cavalry and 8 artillery. After watching Arumba a lot that seemed to be what he used and I think they work pretty well. They can siege down a fort quickly enough and hold out against larger armies long enough for other armies to come and help.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The inefficiency of your words is killing me

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gort posted:

The inefficiency of your words is killing me

What kind of army composition do you recommend?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Always have at least 4 cavalry to maximize flanking.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lord Tywin posted:

What kind of army composition do you recommend?

1. For combat forces:

The maximum number of cavalry who can flank (starts at 4, increases with tech), enough infantry to fill out the remaining available combat width, then as many artillery as you can include without taking attrition or comprising more than 50% of the force. If you still have troops to spare, make them all infantry and keep them nearby to reinforce ongoing battles to replace losses.

2. For siege forces that can't be attacked:

Five times the level of the fort in artillery.

3. For siege forces that might be attacked:

Somewhere between army type 1 and 2.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
10/2/8 and 8/4/8 are both good stack compositions. You really shouldn't be fighting a battle with just one of those stacks though, toss several into fights so you have a full front line at least.

20 is just a convenient size to merge/split. I'll usually slap a few merc infantry on top of each 20 stack.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn't artillery start out really weak until you get more tech? I've always waited until Mil Tech 13 or so before splurging on cannons for use in combat, though I couldn't tell you why, it's something that was once recommended to me and I never tried otherwise

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also there's no single optimal army composition, because what's optimal varies wildly depending on the situation. Learn the rules of combat and positioning and be ready to adapt if you want to get the most out of your armies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Doesn't artillery start out really weak until you get more tech? I've always waited until Mil Tech 13 or so before splurging on cannons for use in combat, though I couldn't tell you why, it's something that was once recommended to me and I never tried otherwise

Yes, artillery in combat is pretty weak until you unlock some Artillery Fire and better unit types from tech. Early on they are mostly useful for sieges, and the return on investment for filling your back line with expensive arty is not good. My rule of thumb is ballpark 1600 is when artillery starts to be really strong in combat. More is better obviously but if you can't afford a bunch of cannons it's not a huge deal until later on.

Edit: the most important thing early on is filling out your front line combat width as much as possible so you can get flanking bonuses from your cav or at least not get flanked by enemy cav because that's bad news.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also there's no single optimal army composition, because what's optimal varies wildly depending on the situation. Learn the rules of combat and positioning and be ready to adapt if you want to get the most out of your armies.

Yeah, I like to just have a standard 20-stack template and then you split/merge those as needed. Throw in 40-60 or more for big battles. Once battles are won, detach arty to siege and inf/cav to nearby provinces to loot.

20 is just a convenient number for much of the early/mid game. Reasonable amount to load into transports, won't often take bad attrition, nice round number for halving or merging.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Doesn't artillery start out really weak until you get more tech?

Well, sort of. It's equally effective at sieges throughout the game, and an infantry/cavalry only army that fills the combat width will lose to an army of infantry/cavalry/artillery that fills the combat width, since everything in the latter army can fight while the former army will have units in the back row that aren't fighting that will lose morale regardless.

It's certainly true that it becomes more powerful the higher tech level you're at, and that I'd always prioritise filling the available combat width before I started adding artillery to my armies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The problem with using a lot of artillery early on is that it will inevitably compromise your combat width at some point. Unless you are fighting exclusively in northern Italy, supply limit is a real constraint on the practical size of a stack; if you make your armies out of 10/4/6 stacks, you have to put two stacks minimum in to get full coverage. A stack of 40 regiments is going to take severe attrition if it moves together, and so it will have to move separately, which is risky and micro-heavy.

That's not to say you shouldn't have some artillery. A few cannons makes a big difference in a siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

OperaMouse posted:

Don't give them more ideas on how to take my money, please.

• Locked thread