Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, Ray Gigant came out today, I'd forgotten about that. It's £25 so I think I'll give it a go.

Post your opinion when you get a chance, because I am interested in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I need to make room on my memory card first. :mad:
Oh wait I had just enough room :tipshat:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 3, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

4.1 takes something like 1200 missions just to get the beat every difficulty with every character trophies, unless they started making the difficulty trophies stack now.

They didn't. I'm probably never going to plat that one, but if I decide to, it'll be slowly over time. Honestly, if you get some of the higher up weapons early, Easy and Normal go by in a few hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takoluka posted:

They didn't. I'm probably never going to plat that one, but if I decide to, it'll be slowly over time. Honestly, if you get some of the higher up weapons early, Easy and Normal go by in a few hours.

There's one Inferno mission that's easy to farm good weapons from, but the insane number of enemies in 4.1 made even normal seem to take ages.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I found that keeping a strong homing launcher makes missions go by really fast, at least for Rangers and Wing Divers. I spend a lot of time gathering all the pickups, though, so that adds significant seconds to my clock.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Dehry posted:

MegaTagmention Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies
I'm considering this, but I was pretty letdown by how underwhelmingly bland Neptunia U was so I'm skeptical. Peers on here have said it's about the same while being marginally better so... Yeah, maybe?

I've considered an EDF game, but have been on the opinion that the PS4 versions are better for the usual reasons. If I were to get one, I'd probably go PS4.

Takoluka posted:

And RanKizama, have you considered the Vita's magnum opus, Persona 4 Golden?
Thought about it. I haven't played a Persona game in a long rear end time (Persona 2 I think?) and I don't recall caring for it. I dabbled into Persona 3 and dropped it, but this was years ago. They just never stuck with me. Persona 4 gets good reviews, but the sour taste in my mouth from the past keeps me from making the jump. Kind of like how the original Neptunia games pretty much ruined the entire loving franchise for me even despite the fact that they were redone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played Ray Gigantic for an hour, so far I've done nothing except read 100% generic LN combat academy plot, it's gonna be a VN with the occasional fight in it I can tell.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RanKizama posted:

I've considered an EDF game, but have been on the opinion that the PS4 versions are better for the usual reasons. If I were to get one, I'd probably go PS4.
EDF is perfect for the Vita because it is not the type of game you focus on 100% of your attention, but play while watching TV or listening to something else.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

EDF is perfect for the Vita because it is not the type of game you focus on 100% of your attention, but play while watching TV or listening to something else.

Im sold.

Bought edf 2017 awhile back. Never started it up. Guess it's time to start it up

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Since it seems there are still people on the fence about EDF, have some older posts i did with screenshots and video:

Mithaldu posted:

Rush through the missions on easy to get to Pale Wing ASAP. She really makes the game shine in every way, by allowing you to go everywhere in a level and usefully flank groups of enemy mobs.

While i'm at it, have some gameplay in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1solr9brAuI&t=808s

Mithaldu posted:

Speaking of strong women, i really like the visuals of Pale Wing's homing weapons and the gigantic robot explosions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, if I got this right, Experience Inc is covering both types of people here: those who want an easy DRPG get Ray Gigant, while those who want to get frustrated, bang their heads against the wall a more hardcore experience get Stranger in Sword City.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 3, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much, Ray Giant seems to be babbys first dungeon crawler, enemies and treasures are all marked on the map as soon as you enter, they're all colour coded so you know how tough they are and there are no random battles.
The jazzy dungeon music is cool though.

E: all damage is recovered after every battle lol

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 3, 2016

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mithaldu posted:

That's actually a pretty good point. Considering the EDF game were made on like a $20 budget, I guess the PS4 benefits wouldn't be all that great anyway.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Saoshyant posted:

So, if I got this right, Experience Inc is covering both types of people here: those who want an easy DRPG get Ray Gigant, while those who want to get frustrated, bang their heads against the wall a more hardcore experience get Stranger in Sword City.

They're also making some kind of action game

For the xbox one

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And that's going to bite them in their butts, sadly.

Quite a few small niche studios in Japan make games first for the Bone. It's really weird. It's not even like the time Microsoft was putting money securing exclusives during the X360 era. They have abandoned Japan after their system kept selling around 90 units per week for the past three years, so, effectively, some developers there just really like the hardware for some reason. Probably the X360 legacy; that system had a ridiculous amount of niche stuff like shmups and VNs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty much, Ray Giant seems to be babbys first dungeon crawler, enemies and treasures are all marked on the map as soon as you enter, they're all colour coded so you know how tough they are and there are no random battles.
The jazzy dungeon music is cool though.

E: all damage is recovered after every battle lol

And dang, this is babby's first DRPG. I guess anyone in the middle picks Dungeon Travelers 2 or Demon Gaze instead. I hope Demon Gaze 2 is going to rock hard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like how Fei is supposed to be Digimon Cyber Sleuth's resident badass anti-hero type, but they gave her that Kansai accent so all her insults and threats get translated as "WELL SLAP MAH CORNHAWGS THIS HERE'S A BARN BURNIN HOOPENANNY WOOOOOO-WEEE"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah why did the 360 get so many exclusive shmups.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Yeah why did the 360 get so many exclusive shmups.

easy to port to because it basically was just a windows machine, as were several arcade systems at the time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

Thought about it. I haven't played a Persona game in a long rear end time (Persona 2 I think?) and I don't recall caring for it. I dabbled into Persona 3 and dropped it, but this was years ago. They just never stuck with me. Persona 4 gets good reviews, but the sour taste in my mouth from the past keeps me from making the jump. Kind of like how the original Neptunia games pretty much ruined the entire loving franchise for me even despite the fact that they were redone.

What was it about P3 you didn't like? If it's anything like the battle system, they made a ton of QoL improvements for P3 Portable and P4. If it was the social links, I can't help you. If it was Persona 2's fault, you can forget that game exists.

...And I don't quite understand that hate boner for Nep, because the "bad one" came out over half a decade ago, and the two that followed were standard jRPG fair with cute anime girls. And I know you like those.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

easy to port to because it basically was just a windows machine, as were several arcade systems at the time.

That makes sense

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

What was it about P3 you didn't like? If it's anything like the battle system, they made a ton of QoL improvements for P3 Portable and P4. If it was the social links, I can't help you. If it was Persona 2's fault, you can forget that game exists.
Maybe Persona 2 is to blame then, because I can't really remember.

Takoluka posted:

...And I don't quite understand that hate boner for Nep, because the "bad one" came out over half a decade ago, and the two that followed were standard jRPG fair with cute anime girls. And I know you like those.
I had to hunt for the first two games and was super loving stoked to play them. Then the were loving atrocious and I got mad. That pretty much ruined my feel for the JRPG Neptunia games. Then I gave Neptunia U a try, hoping the Senran Kagura feel would warm me back up to the franchise and it wasn't that good either. Basically the series has been a vast experience in disappointment for me every time I've given it a chance and I'll be hard pressed to try another one anytime soon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

That makes sense

Also Sony pissed off a lot of shumup devs by being weird about 2D games on their consoles.

Re Ray Gigantic: there's a super mode you activate by stabbing yourself then you have to play a simple rhythm game in time to the super move music to do more damage :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

vast experience

You played two of them, and one was an outsourced spin-off. The Re;Birth games are almost always going on sale, so you should give one a shot. If you don't like them, then you probably just don't like Neptunia (or maybe RPGs in general, if you also dislike recent Personas).

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Really Pants posted:

The effect is actually based on which bullet type you shoot the grenade with. :hellyeah:

Yep you're right... sorry, I worded that really weirdly!

I'm really looking forward to Toukiden 2 -- the demo looks pretty awesome (I don't have a PS4 so I've only seen it on streams). The open world aspect actually looks cool, the new movement options and demon hand stuff look fun, and the SnS and sword-whip weapons look awesome. Particularly the whip, I've been wanting a bit of Simon Belmont in my hunting action games for awhile now.

Unfortunately I just saw the first Vita footage for Toukiden 2 and it looks loving atrocious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqZ8nTHhec

Koei Tecmo is going to kill this series if the Vita version is bad, the game barely sold on PS4 in Japan. How it looks so terrible when Age of Demons and Kiwami both ran so beautifully is quite the mystery. Hype so deflated right now :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The only problem I have with Toukiden is that it seems like it might be too easy?

Like everything I've heard about the rifle weapon, which sounds awesome, but are you ever in any danger when using it?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

don't nep do persona

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ruggington posted:

don't nep do persona

meh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yikes at that Vita Toukiden 2 footage, looks like a PSP game and still runs at 15fps

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

The only problem I have with Toukiden is that it seems like it might be too easy?

Like everything I've heard about the rifle weapon, which sounds awesome, but are you ever in any danger when using it?

If you're doing lots of damage to them, Oni will come after you regardless of what weapon you're wielding.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's not that much of a mystery, a real open world is way more demanding than anything in the first game.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

You played two of them, and one was an outsourced spin-off. The Re;Birth games are almost always going on sale, so you should give one a shot. If you don't like them, then you probably just don't like Neptunia (or maybe RPGs in general, if you also dislike recent Personas).
Again, I'm aware that the Re:Birth titles reworked the original titles to make them not-awful. I'm just bitter about having bought three separate Neptunia games and finding each of them to be underwhelming-to-bad. Maybe the new ones are better, but at this point the franchise hasn't really given me anything to look forward to aside from character designs.

If the Nep games go free on PS+ then maybe I'll look back into them. If not, then nothing lost.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 3, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'll save Ray Gigant for a sale I suppose, I like my dungeon crawlers with some bite. Looks interesting but I'm already autobattling 80% of fights in Sword City at the end in non-paralyze zones.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got a grand kingdom beta code for ps4. I dunno what it is except anime

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Try it out, I thought it's fun(so far) tactical RPG. Looks good too, don't get why people in the PS4 thread kept comparing it to mobile games. Must be playing some really fancy mobile games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

three separate Neptunia games

Three? What was the third one? This is important to determine whether you'll like any of the others, tbh.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

Three? What was the third one? This is important to determine whether you'll like any of the others, tbh.
I bought the first two games and Neptunia U. When I didn't like the first game, I tried out the second to see if it would get better. It kinda didn't. I stopped with the main RPG ones there and didn't try another Nep game until Neptunia U.

I don't have a "hate boner" for Neptunia. If anything, I actually really wanted to like the series and actually still kind of do. I just don't feel any desire to invest anymore time or money into it.

Also, the anime was bad except for the ED.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I got a grand kingdom beta code for ps4. I dunno what it is except anime
It's something you should give to me.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 3, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neptunia re;birth is ok, i'm pretty sure your experiences with the rpg ones are literally the two worst games in the series

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad I've never nepped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Maybe he simply has very narrow tastes in women?