Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dark souls didn't click with me until anor londo

like, the game was cool and bosses were cool and exploration was cool but i wasn't really hooked until i took my first steps into anor londo and got invaded at the rooftop knights

fitting that the first person to invade me ran dragonslayer greatbow and basically just peppered me with arrows while i tried to figure out wtf to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

how the gently caress do you kill the lothric knight with the massive shield and spear?

Queue up a second kick during your first one to shield-break.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Rafza posted:

dark souls didn't click with me until anor londo

like, the game was cool and bosses were cool and exploration was cool but i wasn't really hooked until i took my first steps into anor londo and got invaded at the rooftop knights

fitting that the first person to invade me ran dragonslayer greatbow and basically just peppered me with arrows while i tried to figure out wtf to do

i started 'feelin it' during gargoyles

i miss blighttown

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Szcwczuk posted:

how the gently caress do you kill the lothric knight with the massive shield and spear?

you need to get the hang of baiting some of his attacks. you can't just keep your shield up and push hard on his left like with the sword ones. he leaves himself open after the double thrust, and the one he does from long range. try rolling through it towards him so you can then turn the give him a whack or 2. they can be stunned as well so a hard hitting weapon like the broadsword can land a number of hits before he recovers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tykero posted:

Have you tried Soul Greatsword?

Soul Greatsword needs some drat hyper armor during its cast. Given its cast time, mediocre damage (it ain't WotG!), and how utterly immobile you are during it, it's silly how easy it is to get tickled by a feather and have the whole spell fail.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a talisman that does Sorcery and Miracles? I know about the white hair talisman from the fire lake that does pyro/miracles, but I really want my spell-chucking wizard to also have lightning bolts. What about Sorcery/Pyro?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That wasn't me. The estoc guy didn't chug estus.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

GulagDolls posted:

i started 'feelin it' during gargoyles

i miss blighttown

i do not miss blighttown because it was a laggy piece of poo poo, but also because i'm not the biggest fan of dark decrepit swamp with poison

shockingly, i did not like the gutter nor do i like farron keep

(black gulch was my favorite invasion spot in 2 though, idk)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
This game really needs some cheesey gimmick invader npcs (well, and summons), they're the most fun

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has poise been turned on yet? :downs:

Chard posted:

Is there a talisman that does Sorcery and Miracles? I know about the white hair talisman from the fire lake that does pyro/miracles, but I really want my spell-chucking wizard to also have lightning bolts. What about Sorcery/Pyro?

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Crystal+Chime

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

OK everyone disagreeing with me what's your soul level. Ima be invading you forever. :getin:

Jester 2016 is SL 21, my main man is 176, loving fight me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chard posted:

There is, yes: the Crystal Chime. It's rather unique amongst the dual purpose chimes because of the fact that it gives Pyro-esque scaling to Miracles and Sorceries (so, e.g., investing points into FTH will increase the damage of Soul Arrow). The downsides: it's in literally the second-to-last area of the game, has Gentle Prayer (which is only really handy for new players going through the game), and its overall spell buff is inferior to equivalent staves or talismans. The fact that so much of a spell's effectiveness is tied up with ring buffs also hampers its use.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Szcwczuk posted:

use a sharp thing to turn all their innards into outards.

seriously though, gently caress those dudes. That shield slam is ridiculous (and I want to pvp with it)

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Tykero posted:

Have you tried Soul Greatsword? If you have some Faith the Force Miracle is a pretty good "get out of my face" spell too.

WELP.

I honestly forgot that poo poo! I used soul greatsword to get through the dungeon coz it knocks the jailers down a treat, but I switched it out for soul spear at some point and apparently edited it entirely out of my memory. :confused:

I do wish there were a point-blank explosion type of spell (Think arcane explosion if you've ever played Warcraft) but that's purely for gamefeel, soul greatsword does exactly the thing I was wishing I could do last night.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
One thing I liked better about DS1 is that the camera was placed farther back, making you smaller and giving a feeling of isolation and despair. It also helped you see what the hell you were doing.

That's what I remember, anyways, I haven't played it in a few years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Melanion posted:

I do wish there were a point-blank explosion type of spell (Think arcane explosion if you've ever played Warcraft) but that's purely for gamefeel, soul greatsword does exactly the thing I was wishing I could do last night.

DS2 sort of had one (Soul Flash), although it was too slow to cast to be of much use.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope the DS3 DLC adds the Brushwood Armor back in, that set was gangster as gently caress

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Control Volume posted:

He edited his post to make sense, it had something about dual invaders and puff trees before

Predictive text on an android is loving trash. Try to spell of and it changes it to pout or pour. Try of get off. Do its and it gives you outs.

Its the worst.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chard posted:

The symbol of god was nothing more than the image of the old one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Szcwczuk posted:

More info would help. What are we working with here? There are a lot of little tweaks I could help you with if I knew your specs.

A lovely laptop with an intel graphics card that can't run it at a vaguely stable framerate above 800x600

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanna get owned in pvp dark souls my steam Id is jastiger. Get rekt

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Things I want for DS3 DLC:
  • Some more armor that doesn't make me look like a Game of Thrones extra.
  • The return of the Mace of the Insolent. (Seriously. There's four weapons that can cast Sorceries - the majority of which are garbage - and there isn't a single Miracle one. What gives?)
  • A goddamn Blue Eye Orb.
  • Maldron the Assassin.
  • The "Well, what is it?" gesture.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i've been running around with boulder spit in the aldritch area, so far i haven't been able to hit anyone with it because the windup is NUTS

but i suspect the damage would be decent

e: i would like to see the return of IRON TARKUS

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

Things I want for DS3 DLC:
  • Some more armor that doesn't make me look like a Game of Thrones extra.
  • The return of the Mace of the Insolent. (Seriously. There's four weapons that can cast Sorceries - the majority of which are garbage - and there isn't a single Miracle one. What gives?)
  • A goddamn Blue Eye Orb.
  • Maldron the Assassin.
  • The "Well, what is it?" gesture.

• Brushwood/Drangleic set
  • Bone Fists
  • Jester Thomas (and by extension the Jester outfit)
  • The Shrug gesture.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Szcwczuk posted:

If you don't want to deal with kicks, or work out the timing. You know how everyone keeps going on about Straight Swords R1 Spam?

Most straight swords (and a few greatswords) have the "Stance" weapon art, which will basically ruin the poo poo of any NPC who shield tanks. Hope you like free ripostes.

Be careful with more aggressive enemies sporting shields, but ones like the Lothric Spear knights are basically free ripostes when they go into shield tank mode with stance art.

EDIT: Stance art has an R1 (underhand swing for guard breaks) and R2 attack (huge lunge thrust).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 3, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Chard posted:

There's the Crystal Chime, as mentioned, but there's also the Archdeacon Great Staff which causes sorceries to scale with faith, or the Sunless Talisman which scales with intelligence and is good for Dark Miracles and also the Izalith Staff which does the same thing as the Sunless, or something like that I dunno.

I can't find anything that's Sorcery/Pyro, although there is the Immolation Tinder (drop from Flame witches in Irithyll) that's a halberd that is also a stave, and the weapon art is the flame snake.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rafza posted:

i've been running around with boulder spit in the aldritch area, so far i haven't been able to hit anyone with it because the windup is NUTS

but i suspect the damage would be decent

You have to trick people into running into it. If someone's pursuing you, start casting it, then do a quick about face to burp a boulder onto them.

(Really, though, if you're going to do that, you may as well just use Great Combustion or Black Flame instead. It's a useless spell, as far as I can tell.)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My streak has ended, I fought a lagger, rest in piss me. Now I have to go grab a new giant's seed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boulder burp onto people climbing ladders

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

NTT posted:

The secret is to use a young branch and just barrel up a corner. Try an obscure wooden platform that you have to jump to; there's two near the dilapidated bridge.

I know which one you're talking about... the issue I had was that a bluebro basically kept standing next to me, so I got popped.

Speaking of which... is it possible to farm seeds easily?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

If you wanna get owned in pvp dark souls my steam Id is jastiger. Get rekt

so are you jastig, j.astig1997, or |AG|JasTiger<Iowa State>

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Vermain posted:

You have to trick people into running into it. If someone's pursuing you, start casting it, then do a quick about face to burp a boulder onto them.

(Really, though, if you're going to do that, you may as well just use Great Combustion or Black Flame instead. It's a useless spell, as far as I can tell.)

yeah thats my conclusion so far

im trying to think of ideal spells for a pyromancer build but boy howdy a lot of the pyro spells seem rough to use in pvp

Babe Magnet posted:

boulder burp onto people climbing ladders

holy poo poo yes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The latter

Didn't DS2 have invasions make you go unhollow? I remember it did for the Small White Soapstone and I thought that was a pretty cool system- in lieu of burning a humanity, just go off and help somebody else for a couple minutes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rafza posted:

yeah thats my conclusion so far

im trying to think of ideal spells for a pyromancer build but boy howdy a lot of the pyro spells seem rough to use in pvp

Assuming you've got four spell slots, I'd probably go with GCFO (freeaimed; the lava will at least get hits in), Great Combustion/Black Flame, and then either Fire Surge (you can poke people constantly by just doing one "puff" of it; it pisses people right off and forces them to expend a lot of Stamina rolling around) or Sacred Flame (if you're good at tricking people into letting you get it off on them). Black Serpent might be a decent alternative, although I have no experience using it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The small white soapstone was great. Made it easy to get your humanity back and also encouraged people to pick up small sign summons because hey man they're just trying to get their humanity back.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

The latter

Didn't DS2 have invasions make you go unhollow? I remember it did for the Small White Soapstone and I thought that was a pretty cool system- in lieu of burning a humanity, just go off and help somebody else for a couple minutes.

This was all successful online activity iirc. You got full estus, health and humanity for any successful co-op or invasion, with exception of the territorials who only got you a health refill and their reward.

re: Pyromancy: Chaos Bed Vestiges is essentially forbidden sun and supposedly OK at punishing estus use. I haven't gotten my pyro to the point where I can try out myself though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

so are you jastig, j.astig1997, or |AG|JasTiger<Iowa State>

You know what state I'm from take a wild guess. Iowa state :)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Domattee posted:

re: Pyromancy: Chaos Bed Vestiges is essentially forbidden sun and supposedly OK at punishing estus use. I haven't gotten my pyro to the point where I can try out myself though.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. It's retained its outrageously fast cast time from DS2, so it's decent at punishing swiggers if you can predict it well.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand phantoms who drop signs at bonfires. Do they just really love ganking invaders that much? If someone is summoning you at a bonfire, then I can't imagine they're probabilistically good enough to get you a boss win before they die, and even then you're wasting a shitload of resources getting to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lite_sleepr posted:

Predictive text on an android is loving trash. Try to spell of and it changes it to pout or pour. Try of get off. Do its and it gives you outs.

Its the worst.

I just got an android and learning this is pretty accurate.