Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
gently caress, I edited the spoiler part and got quoted both before and after it. So now it's a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure spoiler, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hillary is unduly influenced by the Israeli lobby, what a venturesome and outre concept

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seriously, Bibi's attempt to set himself up as the Voice of Jews Everywhere is crass, offensive, and self-serving. Hell, I'd argue it's antisemitic too. It ignores the individual agency of Jewish people to have different or even opposing viewpoints so he can forward the objects of right-wing Israeli politicians.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

Hillary is unduly influenced by the Israeli lobby, what a venturesome and outre concept

That is a substantively different charge than the one you made. (And neither is entirely accurate.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

No your venturesome and outre concept was "The sitting Secretary of State worked to torpedo the Iran at cross purposes to the rest of the administration."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Eschers Basement posted:

Sure, right, not "Jews", but "shadowy cabal of Jewish elites", that's what you were going for.

I'm not agreeing with the whole "Clinton is undermining Obama" bit, but you do realize that AIPAC exists right? Not exactly shadowy, but certainly scummy pushers of foreign interests.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

No your venturesome and outre concept was "The sitting Secretary of State worked to torpedo the Iran at cross purposes to the rest of the administration."

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is a substantively different charge than the one you made. (And neither is entirely accurate.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Apparently she could not get enough of phone conversations with Bibi, who by then was proven to be bent on sabotaging the deal at any cost. . What else is meant to be concluded?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

Hey, I wasn't the one saying that Clinton attempted to sabotage American foreign policy because of her Israeli masters, that's all SedanChair.

also i don't think of jews as people

:wow: nice meltdown

Also, I hope this primary season never ends:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/727542489482158080

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

I've only ever heard jury nullification in the context of legalization advocates placed on juries using it as a way to protest the War on Drugs. Is there any scholarship on how often nullification is used by racists for racist means?

You've heard of Emmett Till right? The useless sacks of flesh that killed him even admitted to the crime, but shockingly got off because the jury just decided the evidence didn't loving matter. there aren't numbers on the practice since there is no objective standard to measure it with. But I think there's a pretty good argument that's what's happening in the Freddy Gray trial, and what happened in the Trayvon Martin case. White losers are more than willing to look the other way for crimes against minorities, especially if those people are "scary" (i.e. not properly submissive to whites)

Lawlessness is never going to exist for the benefit of anyone expect the privileged. I doubt many black pot dealers get their crimes nullified as compared to respectable white pot growers "fighting the system, man". Either both are fine or both are a problem-- if it's the latter remove the law, but don't enforce it any way other than brutally and evenly.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

The United States Secretary of State is not going to freeze out Israel when discussing an Iran deal, Jesus Christ.

Yeah they should be telljng Israel that it is time to put their nuclear program under the same inspection regime.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

I'm not agreeing with the whole "Clinton is undermining Obama" bit, but you do realize that AIPAC exists right? Not exactly shadowy, but certainly scummy pushers of foreign interests.

Sure, but there are a lot of scummy pushers of foreign interests. There's also the fact that Clinton tends to be more aggressive than other diplomats/politicians. So for SedanChair to jump on how it must have been Bibi pulling her strings ("which side her bread is buttered on") sure as hell comes across as "JEWS DID THIS".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

So Jewish people worldwide speak with one voice in your mind? And that's Netanyahu's voice?

Sorry, you probably think of them as "the Jews" instead of "Jewish people"

Wow you really did a number on him by making it seem like he wasn't quoting someone in a joking fashion and instead was rabidly anti-Semitic

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

Apparently she could not get enough of phone conversations with Bibi, who by then was proven to be bent on sabotaging the deal at any cost. . What else is meant to be concluded?

She was doing her job as Secretary of State. You're an idiot.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Eschers Basement posted:

Sure, but there are a lot of scummy pushers of foreign interests. There's also the fact that Clinton tends to be more aggressive than other diplomats/politicians. So for SedanChair to jump on how it must have been Bibi pulling her strings ("which side her bread is buttered on") sure as hell comes across as "JEWS DID THIS".

It really doesn't come off as saying anyone is pulling strings. From what I can tell, the argument he's making is that Clinton was giving undue weight to the views of Bibi, whose interests, in SedanChair's opinion, were counterproductive to the overall goals the Obama administration had for the talks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rkajdi posted:

You've heard of Emmett Till right? The useless sacks of flesh that killed him even admitted to the crime, but shockingly got off because the jury just decided the evidence didn't loving matter. there aren't numbers on the practice since there is no objective standard to measure it with. But I think there's a pretty good argument that's what's happening in the Freddy Gray trial, and what happened in the Trayvon Martin case. White losers are more than willing to look the other way for crimes against minorities, especially if those people are "scary" (i.e. not properly submissive to whites)

Lawlessness is never going to exist for the benefit of anyone expect the privileged. I doubt many black pot dealers get their crimes nullified as compared to respectable white pot growers "fighting the system, man". Either both are fine or both are a problem-- if it's the latter remove the law, but don't enforce it any way other than brutally and evenly.

That wasn't jury nullification.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

An Angry Bug posted:

It really doesn't come off as saying anyone is pulling strings. From what I can tell, the argument he's making is that Clinton was giving undue weight to the views of Bibi, whose interests, in SedanChair's opinion, were counterproductive to the overall goals the Obama administration had for the talks.

Israel has a pretty huge connection to the US and we're a massive reason they exist in the first place. They were the main nation against the Iran deal. Clinton did exactly what she should have done in that position: weighed the issues Netanyahu put forth and act as an appropriate official "concern sponge", and present Israel's viewpoint on the matter in a professional way. The US just brushing off Bibi would have been insanely stupid even though that's what a lot of people would have wanted to have happened. Israel HAD to have a large voice in these talks diplomatically for multiple reasons. Just brushing them off is not how international politics works unless you're operating from a Donald Trump/grade school level

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

I read an article someone wrote a free weeks ago that touched on the concept of a lack of empathy that society has now. Her brother had died from a heroin addiction and on the anniversary of his death her mother posted about it and the comments were filled with assholes calling him a junky and that he deserved it and such and how this sort of thing is common where anyone that needs help or has something bad happen is then yelled at through social media. She attributed this partly to the ease of dehumanizing people through the internet and how in person you have to see someone's facial reaction and you then know when you have gone to far in saying something bad. However I think that this video is an example that she isn't entirely correct. The real meat of the issue is that in the last thirty or so years (probably longer) there has been a concerted effort to create a message that anyone that needs help is a failure and deserves whatever bad thing happens to them.

The obvious intent of that is to destroy the social safety net so you get idiots like this woman thinking that any significant part of her taxes go towards this man's family's food stamps. Social media is the easy place to yell at the "takers" but it's becoming more of a common thing for these videos of people that have been stewing in the juices of hate media to finally decide they need to say something to the people that are stealing THEIR money and should just be working harder than 56 hours a week if they want their kids to have dinner. I think it's partly that we want to believe if these people actually met a family in need in person and weren't just some nebulous internet example that they would change their attitude but really it's clear we are past that point. It also raises severe questions into the line that private charities will be able to cover government social services. Obviously they can't possible do that but the fallacy that people will donate enough to cover starving people is made more questionable when people like this are the ones that would be asked to give. How are we supposed to believe a person outraged that her tax dollars are feeding this man's children is going to give enough to her church for them to be able to feed any significant amount of people? I understand there's this weird place where a person can be a hate filled caricature in one aspect of his or her life and then be giving in other ways, but there's simply no way this person (or most people realistically) would be willing to give enough to offset the destruction of food stamps alone.

It's been a problem for years but we've allowed the right wing to fester in their own alternate reality for so long we are going to see a lot more of these types of confrontations as the people that have been led to believe they are being robbed through taxes feel the pinch as well and lash out at who they've been told are the ones stealing their paychecks. It's not like anyone with a real voice is really fighting against that narrative.

one really good rule of thumb to live by is that whenever anyone says "society these days" really stop and consider that, maybe, people have always been assholes

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Aesop Poprock posted:

Israel has a pretty huge connection to the US and we're a massive reason they exist in the first place. They were the main nation against the Iran deal. Clinton did exactly what she should have done in that position: weighed the issues Netanyahu put forth and act as an appropriate official "concern sponge", and present Israel's viewpoint on the matter in a professional way. The US just brushing off Bibi would have been insanely stupid even though that's what a lot of people would have wanted to have happened. Israel HAD to have a large voice in these talks diplomatically for multiple reasons. Just brushing them off is not how international politics works unless you're operating from a Donald Trump/grade school level

To be fair I didn't read the article yet. Just felt like there was a strawman situation going on and wanted to try to head it off.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

That wasn't jury nullification.

Emmett Till wasn't nullification? You had an all-white jury acquit two Jethros for killing him and admitting to doing it. They were dead to rights and the jury let them off because they disagreed with the law, as in "That black kid shouldn't be allowed to whiistle at a white lady without getting killed". Nullification works both ways, and ends up in a lawless situation where the law isn't anywhere close de facto to what is written down.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jury nullification is "this thing happened but we don't think it is/should be a crime."

Even the Emmett Till jurors didn't have the chutzpah for that, they just turned in a not guilty verdict.

Edit: I guess you tried to cover this in your post, but your argument is really an argument against jury trials altogether.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I thought the Emmett Till case was about double jeopardy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Antti posted:

Jury nullification is "this thing happened but we don't think it is/should be a crime."

Even the Emmett Till jurors didn't have the chutzpah for that, they just turned in a not guilty verdict.

Edit: I guess you tried to cover this in your post, but your argument is really an argument against jury trials altogether.

Uh. When juries nullify they just turn in not guilty verdicts. If they stood up and said "I mean he did it but we don't like this law so we won't vote to convict" it's probably a mistrial.

Emmett Till was 100% nullification

E: I mean lets be clear, the defense attorneys closed with "Every last Anglo-Saxon one of you has the courage to set these men free." But sure it wasn't about nullifying a clear crime because of race.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 3, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Hey, man, this forum is READY FOR HILLARY YAAAASSS. Don't you know?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah i think hung jury is considered to be different from nullification and nullification definitely includes acquittal, from everything i've read

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey guys, lets laugh at politicians some more!

Like Ted Cruz, who apparently so pissed off at Trump now that his press conferences are now about Trump's slaying 'tang and dealing with VDs.

Or how about Hillary, who believes that you shouldn't actually believe the very words she says? She actually feels sorry for you if you do!

This election, what a show!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Antti posted:

It's also considered nullification if you generally believe something should be a crime (murder should generally be illegal), but that it should not be applied in a specific circumstance or because of something particular about the case of a specific defendant (for example: a white man killing a black man, a wife killing an abusive husband in his sleep, a child killing an abusive parent, etc.)

TheQat posted:

yeah i think hung jury is considered to be different from nullification and nullification definitely includes acquittal, from everything i've read

A hung jury means that the jurors could not reach the required majority on the charges (unanimity required for almost all criminal trials in most states; civil trials have different threshholds depending on the state) and that after deliberation they could not resolve the differences. A hung jury means there has been a mistrial, and the prosecutor can retry the case if they so choose without running into double jeopardy issues.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Or how about Hillary, who believes that you shouldn't actually believe the very words she says? She actually feels sorry for you if you do!

I heard that on the radio this morning and groaned audibly to myself at just how duplicitous it seems. HOWEVER, the original town hall question/response DID include a wider-context answer about bringing new industry to coal-mining areas, notably renewable. The feasibility of that is probably low.

That said, I fully expect/want coal to go away and the sooner the better, but you can't exactly look an ex-coal miner in the eye and tell him to get hosed along with this whole state while still hoping to be elected POTUS.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 3, 2016

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Very Nice Meltdown

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My only kind of meta complaint as some people have alluded to is that Ted Cruz's ideology hasn't really gotten much media coverage, like others have said it's horribleness is hard to understate and the fact that it's apparently going to go unexamined and rejected by the general public is a disappointment.

Of course the monkey paw scenario is that we open that Pandora's Box and a majority of Americans like it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RevKrule posted:

In the year of our lord 2016, Donald John Trump is trying to link Rafael Edward Cruz to the John Fitzgerald Kennedy administration in a way no one has ever thought of.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/05/donald-trump-accusessomeone-something
People kept saying that this primary still wasn't as crazy as '64 or '68, so Trump, ever the entertainer, found the common factor and put a Kennedy assassination in the news.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sedanchair.txt

Also maybe after Indiana we get to see Ted cry. (I don't know why but I just want to see Ted destroyed.)

ALso has there been any movement on getting that general to run third party?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

ALso has there been any movement on getting that general to run third party?

He said no.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

So who else can they make their patsy on the "derail trump" train?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nice meltdown

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crowsbeak posted:

So who else can they make their patsy on the "derail trump" train?

Clinton? I mean, I think she's got at least okay odds on beating him in the general on her own.

What does the GOP establishment gain by disrupting their own candidate if Trump actually gets the nomination? If they're that willing to court negative public attention, he can still be ratfucked at the convention, with the only loss being a bunch of face with the electorate.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hey guys, lets laugh at politicians some more!

Like Ted Cruz, who apparently so pissed off at Trump now that his press conferences are now about Trump's slaying 'tang and dealing with VDs.

This election, what a show!

It turns out Mike Tyson has a time machine and addressed Teddy's comments back in 2002 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3kCMJ-3uMM

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Them having it out for Hillary is news to me.

e: I mean, Hillary probably thinks they have it out for her, along with everyone else who hasn't given her money. I wonder what betrayal number she has assigned them on her spreadsheet.

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/new_york_times_shows_clear_bias_for_hillary_clinton_20160315

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/267692-the-new-york-times-bias-and-hillary-clinton

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/07/27/can-the-new-york-times-salvage-its-clinton-cove/204605

"The New York Times" posted:

Yea you guys might have a point about our unfairly critical coverage of Hillary Clinton

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

rkajdi posted:

Clinton? I mean, I think she's got at least okay odds on beating him in the general on her own.

What does the GOP establishment gain by disrupting their own candidate if Trump actually gets the nomination? If they're that willing to court negative public attention, he can still be ratfucked at the convention, with the only loss being a bunch of face with the electorate.

To ratfuck Trump at the convention, they need to convince a majority of the delegates on the rules committee, and then some large number of delegates during the voting, that the ratfucking is good and should be done. They then get to face the wrath of all of the Trump supporters who had the nomination stolen AND the disdain of moderates who wouldn't want to do something so un-democratic.

To run a third party candidate, they need to convince one shmuck to run. People might bitch, but one guy going off on his own to make a principled run for his beliefs is pretty common and wouldn't get nearly the outrage.

Edit:

Forgot to answer - what do they gain? It's more what they lose. Right now, they're riding two tigers that are fighting - the pearl-clutching 'moderate' GOPers who don't want to admit to themselves that they're the enablers of racists and sexists, and the blue-collar/authoritarians who drat well want someone to finally say all of the racist and sexist things they've been forced to shut up about for too long. For the GOP to keep doing well in elections, it needs to appeal to both, and running a third party moderate while letting Trump have the convention would be the best way for them to say to both sides "See? You're really in charge and we need you".

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Also maybe after Indiana we get to see Ted cry. (I don't know why but I just want to see Ted destroyed.)

Reminder:

JonathonSpectre posted:

I just want to remind everyone of something.

One of the most loathsome people to ever loving live on this planet, Ted Cruz, backstabbed and hosed over every person he came in contact with for the past four years, forced his party into a bunch of no-win scenarios that made them look stupid and clueless, and generally called out everyone in his entire party as a bunch of commiesymp Islamolibs who want to dress up as a gay-married woman and gently caress a child in a public bathroom. He did all of these things knowingly, burning every bridge he's ever crossed, mauling every hand that's ever fed him, all in service of one dream: He would become the Republican nominee in 2016 and win the Presidency and then the trail of blood and nightmares he left behind wouldn't matter because gently caress you I'm POTUS that's why.

He sacrificed everything to this goal, and he's going to lose by a small number of delegates to the political equivalent of the Fukushima meltdown. His strategy would (probably) have worked! It's pretty clear that the JEB! never stood a chance regardless of how much money he raised because he's a loving walking Ambien who conservatives thoroughly despise, Scott Walker couldn't even figure out how to hire someone who understood things like "a budget," Ben Carson looks like an attractive candidate up until he has to speak in anything other than meaningless fortune-cookie platitudes, etc. All that work, all that planning, all that treachery, all that time.

ALL FOR loving NOTHING AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

He's been reaching for this brass ring his entire life, leaning farther and farther out from his carousel horse. What would he lose first, his balance, or his nerve? But he never flinched, leaning out further and further with each turn of the carousel, and then just before, just before his fingertip brushed it an orange hand came out of nowhere and took that bitch right away from him, right in front of him, and there was never anything he could do to stop it. Now all that's left is the fall.

There aren't words in any language to describe the joy it brings me to see such a heinous, hateful motherfucker destroyed in such a gut-wrenching, miserable way. Tonight was the beginning of Ted Cruz's descent to a talk radio host saying things like, "Well, when *I* was in the United States Senate, let me tell you..."

Ted is a mess.
Ted is a waste.

• Locked thread