Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Vermain posted:

Assuming you've got four spell slots, I'd probably go with GCFO (freeaimed; the lava will at least get hits in), Great Combustion/Black Flame, and then either Fire Surge (you can poke people constantly by just doing one "puff" of it; it pisses people right off and forces them to expend a lot of Stamina rolling around) or Sacred Flame (if you're good at tricking people into letting you get it off on them). Black Serpent might be a decent alternative, although I have no experience using it.

I really want to do a gimmick build with GCFO, GC/BF, Fire Surge and either black serpent or profaned flame, or i guess sacred flame, along with either the brand weapon from the dudes in irythll dungeon or the staff from the fire watchers in irythll valley

but i tried the brand weapon and that estus-lowering thing doesn't seem to work too effectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

sector_corrector posted:

I don't understand phantoms who drop signs at bonfires. Do they just really love ganking invaders that much? If someone is summoning you at a bonfire, then I can't imagine they're probabilistically good enough to get you a boss win before they die, and even then you're wasting a shitload of resources getting to that point.

Or they're nice and just want to help people, even if they don't get rewards. Or they're cowards who want to first explore a level with no risk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rafza posted:

I really want to do a gimmick build with GCFO, GC/BF, Fire Surge and either black serpent or profaned flame, or i guess sacred flame, along with either the brand weapon from the dudes in irythll dungeon or the staff from the fire watchers in irythll valley

but i tried the brand weapon and that estus-lowering thing doesn't seem to work too effectively

If you want a decent gimmick weapon, the Witch's Locks are decently fun to use in PVP, although they require some finesse. I'd otherwise stick with the Astora SS, raw Drakeblood GS, or maybe a raw Glaive (it's got a surprisingly high raw AR for a weapon with relatively forgiving stat requirements). I kind of prefer the Astora SS, even if it's a bit overdone, just because you can weave spells like Great Combustion in more seamlessly in order to trick parry spammers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sector_corrector posted:

I don't understand phantoms who drop signs at bonfires. Do they just really love ganking invaders that much? If someone is summoning you at a bonfire, then I can't imagine they're probabilistically good enough to get you a boss win before they die, and even then you're wasting a shitload of resources getting to that point.

People like to explore together.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Boulder Heave is good because it reminds me of the basic earth magic spell in Kings Field. None of this fancy arcane occult bull poo poo, just throw a motherfucking rock at it.

Also the absence of both Shrug and Well! What Is It! are crimes against humanity

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lite_sleepr posted:

When i was invaded I used a white branch and hid as a sprig in a copse of trees in the great swamp lol

I hope I made that oval office mad

I was PurpleBro invading last night in Cathedral and that level is so huge the odds of you spawning anywhere near the host are super low. I looked all around for him, and couldn't find him, he summoned two more phantoms after I invaded, but I was nowhere near the Chapel bonfire so didn't run back there. After about 10 minutes of looking for him, I noticed he hadn't opened the last shortcut yet, so I just went by the big altar in front of the boss fog, White Branch'd into a big statue and waited.

And waited.

I started reading a book on my Kindle. A phantom died.

Kept reading. Another phantom down.

Kept reading. Close to 10 minutes total now. Then:

DUTY FULFILLED

Heh. I never even saw him. Probably could have kept an eye out and not wasted the white branch at all.

I did have a question, tho. Why didn't the shackle pop when the first phantom died? When I invaded it said "Kill the host or 1 phantom" so when the first phantom died I figured it was over. Was it because I didn't kill him directly or something? That can't be right.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Chard posted:

Is there a talisman that does Sorcery and Miracles? I know about the white hair talisman from the fire lake that does pyro/miracles, but I really want my spell-chucking wizard to also have lightning bolts. What about Sorcery/Pyro?

They can't make one. Farron Flashsword does not animate properly on a talisman or chime, it needs a staff-like model.

On the Miracle side, Lifehunt Scythe will not work properly on anything not a talisman or chime.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 3, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ice Fist posted:

The small white soapstone was great. Made it easy to get your humanity back and also encouraged people to pick up small sign summons because hey man they're just trying to get their humanity back.

This, and you even got a small thinghy to give the crow. Bring small soapstone back From :colbert:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

HaB posted:

I did have a question, tho. Why didn't the shackle pop when the first phantom died? When I invaded it said "Kill the host or 1 phantom" so when the first phantom died I figured it was over. Was it because I didn't kill him directly or something? That can't be right.

That's exactly it. Purps have to land the killing blow themselves for phantom kills to count. Only on phantoms though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Vermain posted:

If you want a decent gimmick weapon, the Witch's Locks are decently fun to use in PVP, although they require some finesse. I'd otherwise stick with the Astora SS, raw Drakeblood GS, or maybe a raw Glaive (it's got a surprisingly high raw AR for a weapon with relatively forgiving stat requirements). I kind of prefer the Astora SS, even if it's a bit overdone, just because you can weave spells like Great Combustion in more seamlessly in order to trick parry spammers.

I will definitely give this a shot later, thanks

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
10 minutes of the guy doing the thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVUrXeNM--Y

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I missed out on Patches since I bought the key early then beat the Abyss Watchers, and he never showed up at Firelink, so rip Siegward and also the black leather armor, and I killed Anri so I'm assuming Yuria's not coming either?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Domattee posted:

That's exactly it. Purps have to land the killing blow themselves for phantom kills to count. Only on phantoms though.

I don't think that's right. I think they just have to contribute in some way? I'm pretty sure I've achieved my objective without getting the killing blow on a phantom.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I missed out on Patches since I bought the key early then beat the Abyss Watchers, and he never showed up at Firelink, so rip Siegward and also the black leather armor, and I killed Anri so I'm assuming Yuria's not coming either?

try riding the elevator past the key door in Firelink a second time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

They can't make one. Farron Flashsword does not animate properly on a talisman or chime, it needs a staff-like model.

On the Miracle side, Lifehunt Scythe will not work properly.

No, it animates fine on the Crystal Chime. It extends from your hand like a lightsaber.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I want the DLC to include a shield with that behind-the-back-screw-you-shield-bash the Lothric knights have.

Or, an alternate ending where you just sit down while one of those buffed knights jogs over to the Kiln and the boss Black Crystals out because he's too fed up.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Really? Huh.

They must have done that one up in a unique manner. I've tried to cast it from a talisman before and the blade wouldn't appear.

That gives me an idea.

EDIT: Oh, I see. The little protrusion that comes up from above the hand is enough to make Flashsword work.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 3, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

5:57 best part

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
you know what i'd like to see come back

gravelording

when that worked, it was awesome

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cultisto posted:

I want the DLC to include a shield with that behind-the-back-screw-you-shield-bash the Lothric knights have.

make the turtle shell from the turtle knights in DS2 a shield and make its weapon art the move where they flop backwards and land on you

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I don't think that's right. I think they just have to contribute in some way? I'm pretty sure I've achieved my objective without getting the killing blow on a phantom.

I'm almost 100% that they have to land the killing blow. I've done a bunch of purp invasions in the Aldrich area, helping whichever side outnumbered the the other, and I've only gotten Duty Fulfilled if I personally killed the right amount of phantoms or if the host died. If the host dies it doesn't have to be by your hand.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

seconding the purple phantom "You have to kill phantoms yourself" thing

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Rafza posted:

gravelording

gravelording yourself and using that hack that made enemies aggro you from a million miles away was great

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

make the turtle shell from the turtle knights in DS2 a shield and make its weapon art the move where they flop backwards and land on you

:yeah:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Section Z posted:

If you don't want to deal with kicks, or work out the timing. You know how everyone keeps going on about Straight Swords R1 Spam?

Most straight swords (and a few greatswords) have the "Stance" weapon art, which will basically ruin the poo poo of any NPC who shield tanks. Hope you like free ripostes.

Be careful with more aggressive enemies sporting shields, but ones like the Lothric Spear knights are basically free ripostes when they go into shield tank mode with stance art.

EDIT: Stance art has an R1 (underhand swing for guard breaks) and R2 attack (huge lunge thrust).

Oh wow this is highly effective, thanks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

but instead of putting the shield on your back and doing the move it's actually a sicknasty elbow drop

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

try riding the elevator past the key door in Firelink a second time

I did and nothing, though that worked last game before beating the watchers.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So what's the deal with the tall, spindly ghost knights you see in Irythyl? I don't recall what lore explains why there are weird ghosts

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what's the deal with the tall, spindly ghost knights you see in Irythyl? I don't recall what lore explains why there are weird ghosts

they remind me heavily of the knights from the DS2 DLC, i forget their name tho

Lleum?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Good question. My thinking is that they could be a DLC hook that hasn't been implemented yet, but was left in as a teaser.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Not Humanity enemies from the abyss in DS1 are weird too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rafza posted:

gravelording

Did that ever work?

I've seen vagrants aplenty but gravelording remains this elusive "it's totally in the game!" thing.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

DARK Solaire was someone here wasn't it? That axe bloody hurts.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Reallly need someone to talk me out of buying the hollowslayer.

I don't know why I want it, but I do.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Purple Pals charade would be a whole lot easier to keep up if you could just go through the boss fog with the host (and then lose the ability to attack the host). It would be great as a "co-op or duel, I'm down for whatever" sign if that modification was made.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Your Computer posted:

Did that ever work?

I've seen vagrants aplenty but gravelording remains this elusive "it's totally in the game!" thing.

it worked for me for a little bit

drop sign in weird place, reap benefits, occasionally deal with dude that spawns in to end my reign of terror

i once put on flash sweat and all the fire resist gear i could, and put my sign in the middle of some lava, i literally could not be stopped and got SO MANY souls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Computer posted:

Did that ever work?

It worked, but if you weren't in NG+ the phantoms would not appear. You could still invade the Gravelord servant, but there wasn't any reason to.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

lite_sleepr posted:

Reallly need someone to talk me out of buying the hollowslayer.

I don't know why I want it, but I do.

It's good, do it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

The Not Humanity enemies from the abyss in DS1 are weird too.

But those were definitely just big Humanity Sprites, that when you kill you just rip off a hunk of them to farm their humanity.

Humanity is the Dark Soul, which grows stronger as the fade fades, but lacks a will of its own, thus requiring humans to achieve actualization. We learn this in DS1 and DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I might organize Goon Fight Club sometime soon, we all have to decide on a soul level and item upgrade level for it