Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
So, the punch is going to be even better if I room temp my sugar!! Wow!

"This is gonna be great!"
Flounder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have always just measured out equal parts sugar and water then throw them in my blender on low speed for a minuet or two. No heating or waiting at all, even with coarser sugars like turbinado.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love you guys, and your dedication to the craft of good drinking is admirable, but this new dogma about never applying heat to sugar is absurd. I've made cold-process syrup and it's good and I've made syrup by pouring boiling water into sugar and it's perfectly fine as well. If you're making a drink that contains fruit juice or sweet-ish wine you're already going to be dealing with fructose and glucose anyway, and unless you decide to let your syrup cook on the stove for 20 minutes you're not going to hydrolyze a significant amount of the sugar.

It's important to do things well when making good drinks. Use fresh citrus and wine, measure your ingredients, shake hard. But as in any hobby, eventually people start talking about neutral gas infusors, graduated cylinders, and dry shaking as they seek marginal refinements to their already excellent cocktails and punches. That's fine and all, but there's no need to make it gospel.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also congrats on punch! I made Admiral Russell's just last week.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Attention to detail like that is what separates professionals from hobbyists. Make your syrups however you want, but just like there's a difference between cooking and running a restaurant, the little things add up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
::furiously makes little tinfoil hats for all his syrup bottles::

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm blessed with simple tastes in cocktails that I can make with little or no effort, like a gin and tonic or a vodka martini. Side effect: I now make a really good dirty martini. My friends are all "beer only" or vodka + juice people, though, so it's a wasted skill :v:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure a good portion of the people that post in here ARE professionals - hence the attention to details.

I oversee three acclaimed, multimillion dollar bar programs in San Francisco. I have been studying spirits, cocktails and wine since 2007. I have won bartending/cocktail awards, am regularly featured in the press, have a number of professional/educational certifications and have worked in/developed Michelin-starred bar programs. I have had the honor of working with and for some of the best, most knowledgeable bar people of our time. Im just sharing what I tell my staff. Using hot water, without boiling, will hydrolyze an overwhelming amount of the sucrose molecules present and breaks them into their components. What you're making is invert syrup, which as i said above, has many applications in pastry but is not suitable for cocktails. The idea that using fruit juice "means you'll encounter fructose anyhow" is really silly and ignorant of the situation, so I'm just going to let you save face and pretend you didn't throw that out there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You know, I concede the point. I've been more focused on other interests lately, and I guess I've lost track of the progression of drinksmaking. That was pre-coffee morning post. I don't want to be someone accusing other people of caring too much, because I've definitely been on the other end of that accusation plenty. Shine on you tipsy diamonds :cheers:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kenning posted:

You know, I concede the point. I've been more focused on other interests lately, and I guess I've lost track of the progression of drinksmaking. That was pre-coffee morning post. I don't want to be someone accusing other people of caring too much, because I've definitely been on the other end of that accusation plenty. Shine on you tipsy diamonds :cheers:

Graciously backing down? On our forums???

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do you need to heat rich honey syrup?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

do you need to heat rich honey syrup?

Kind of a pain in the butt if you don't, but I'd always heard heating up honey will denature it's enzymes and make it more bitter. So i do the cold process method for it as well. It just takes a lot more time and stirring but it's worth it.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Quick question: Can I pre-mix and bottle the gin/lemon/sugar part of a french 75, chill it really well and then just mix with cold sparkling wine when serving? I'd just make it like 2-3 hours before serving, so the lemon shouldn't oxidise that much (?)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Last night I was drinking with a friend at a pizza restaurant where she's been a regular for years. They have a small, not really thought out liquor collection ( i think most remnants from the few specialty cocktails they offer) but they were able to make me a Hendricks/Luxardo/Fresh squeezed lemon juice Aviation with 'what they had lying around.'

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Serendipitaet posted:

Quick question: Can I pre-mix and bottle the gin/lemon/sugar part of a french 75, chill it really well and then just mix with cold sparkling wine when serving? I'd just make it like 2-3 hours before serving, so the lemon shouldn't oxidise that much (?)
Shaking a french 75 before pouring and topping off dilutes it a bit so you'll have to compensate. The body also won't be quite the same as shaking mixes some o2 in. One of the best cocktails to go premixed with though imo.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Does anybody have any helpful hints on using fire? My inner pyromaniac has an unreasonable amount of appreciation for a nice flame on his drink. I tend to use a spent lime shell, add a bit of overproof rum and light it. That does work but doesn't seem to burn as long or as brightly as some drinks I have ordered in bars. I've tried using a sugar cube as a wick but that doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference- or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm using Bounty overproof rum from Fiji if that makes a difference.

Bubz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 7, 2016

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Breadcrumbs wick nicely.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Also congrats on punch! I made Admiral Russell's just last week.

I've been asked to bring it to a Memorial Day BBQ. My reputation has gotten some redemption due to the Admiral!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bubz posted:

using fire?

I've heard charred rosemary is nice but I haven't tried it.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is a gimlet an obscure drink? It is one of my go-to drinks, but I just had a bartender not know what it was.

What else can I order when I'm fat and I want gin but no tonic?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

Is a gimlet an obscure drink? It is one of my go-to drinks, but I just had a bartender not know what it was.

What else can I order when I'm fat and I want gin but no tonic?

holy poo poo, if you don't know what a gimlet is you shouldn't be tending bar :psyduck:

that being said the gin has way more calories than the tonic. since gimlets are sweetened i would wager the gin and tonic is the better choice if you're counting calories

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Mr. Glass posted:

holy poo poo, if you don't know what a gimlet is you shouldn't be tending bar :psyduck:

that being said the gin has way more calories than the tonic. since gimlets are sweetened i would wager the gin and tonic is the better choice if you're counting calories

Tonic is also pretty sweet.

Also has anyone ever figured out how many calories your body absorbs/derives from alcohol? Clearly in a calorimeter it's going to be quite energetic (7kcal/g), but I can't seem to find a clear answer as to the actual energetic cost/gain as it is metabolized.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
tonic from a soda gun has 4g more sugar in it than coca-cola lol. really weird how many people think it's "the healthy drink"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

obviously there are many nice places with their own house tonics that are very tasty and have nowhere near the sugar content but if it's getting squirted out of a soda gun it probably is the least healthy thing in there

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i wasn't claiming it was "the healthy drink", just that it was basically comparable to a gimlet in terms of sugar content, particularly if you use a nicer brand of tonic. 4 oz of fever tree has around 40 calories, even canada dry has only 45. in a gimlet you're going to get, what, half an ounce of simple syrup? that's like 40 calories right there.

obviously with a soda gun all bets are off, but if you're ordering at a place that uses a soda gun for tonic you're probably going to get a lot more sugar in your gimlet as well (if they've heard of the drink, that is).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you at all and Fevertree is tasty and on par with any "house tonic" I've had. Just remarking on the general perception of customers that I've encountered

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never bothered to check on the sugar content of gun tonic water before but I sincerely doubt it's more than the caloric content of the alcohol anyway, the amount of bottled tonic you need for a highball contains about a third of the calories that the gin does so at worst it would probably even out also just lol at people that have strategies for not getting fat from drinking that extend beyond spending all your money earmarked for food on booze

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 52g of sugar on your standard tonic as opposed to 48 in coca-cola. Like you said, it doesn't even really put a dent in the caloric content of liquor, but try finding the time to explain that to a bachelorette party at your bar or whatever

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
gently caress explaining things, make dick garnishes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

It's 52g of sugar on your standard tonic as opposed to 48 in coca-cola. Like you said, it doesn't even really put a dent in the caloric content of liquor, but try finding the time to explain that to a bachelorette party at your bar or whatever

Coke has fewer calories than tonic? Then I'll take a Gin and Coke!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've got a seltzer bottle I've been using to infuse booze and I got another one to make actual seltzer. You guys are so persnickety about stuff so I thought I'd start another fight about which CO2 should I buy. There are quite a few choices. Does it make a difference? Gas is gas right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The machines that compress the gas have to be lubricated and some brands use, well, less tasty lubricants. I don't know which are best, though.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nothing is easy, everything's a struggle.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The other night I had to walk a bartender through making a French 75. In his defense, it wasn't bad for his first time. But that's what I get for being dragged to a lovely bar by my workmates.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Idk man . Im pretty snobby on my own time but at my favorite "home bar" where I usually find myself 4-5 nights a week I don't think I've ever seen the bartender use a shaker. There are just places where you don't order a French 75 and that's fine

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I try not be too much of a snob, but they were selling themselves as a cocktail bar. I figure in that case, it wasn't too much to ask. And, like I say, he made a passable one once I told him how to do it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

At my new home bar (which is actually a pizza joint) they only make like 4 cocktails but one is an absolutely killer french 75 and I order it every single time

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

American Whiskey Punch or Canadian Punch for next weekend's cookout? That is the question.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Made up something tasty during a slow Sunday lunch shift today.

1.5oz Bunnahabhain scotch
1oz French syrah
0.5oz Benedictine
3 dashes black walnut bitters

Stir, strain, big ice cube, orange peel. I don't know what the hell possessed me to combine scotch and syrah but by God, it works. Benedictine for sweetness and richness, black walnut bitters for a little earth and complexity. Now to name it and try to get it on our next cocktail list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sounds tasty, but do you sell many ~$18 cocktails? Isn't the pour cost on that really high?