Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Stoat posted:

What's a mutant beast?
Evoke a box of beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hm, did gargoyles get their apts nerfed to bring them into line with other species' power levels at some point

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

hm, did gargoyles get their apts nerfed to bring them into line with other species' power levels at some point

No, but they did lose their Statue Form special case.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Gargoyles did have higher apts a good while ago, but they weren't reduced in this version.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

From what I've picked up from conversations on Tavern/WebTiles chat, gargoyles are an average/below average species because their HP is garbage and their aptitudes aren't stellar to make up for it (unlike spriggans or deep elves). Most of the advantages they have, however (like free AC, rPois, rN+, rElec, etc.) give the appearance of a strong species because newer players struggle with danger levels of certain enemies and adjusting their equipment. Having all those free resists lets them get farther than they normally would (but not far enough that the low HP starts hurting), thus appearing strong.

I personally think gargoyles are still a strong species despite that line of thinking, but whatever.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don't remember who said it, but someone in one of these threads described gargoyles very well by saying by saying that they're very strong in most circumstances, but tend to crumple quickly under heavy pressure. AC isn't very good against enemies that deal a whole lot of damage at once, and their resistances also don't protect them from most big spikes of damage. There are a number of situations that are more dangerous for gargoyles than for other species. However, they're still really good if you are aware of that and play to their strengths. My favorite thing to do with them is to keep them in robes, make a modest investment in dodging and use a shield. That way you get very solid, balanced defenses at a low investment and can cast big magic while remaining a serious threat in melee. If you've got the spells to spike down nasty threats before they spike you down, it helps mitigate your low HP, and with good defenses, you can easily beat down almost anything but the most dangerous stuff in melee.

Another advantage of gargoyles, especially for new players, is that they simplify the early game. Not simplify as in make it easier, but simplify as in reduce the number of variables you have to consider. A lot of nasty stuff isn't so dangerous to them, meaning you only need to seriously prioritize and have a plan to deal with things that your AC and resistances can't handle, like orc priests or out of depth melee bruisers. They're not overpowered, but I definitely think they're above average.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do also think they're above average, but -20% max HP is a horrible malus and should not be underestimated.

Do they still have the thing where they can't worship Yred or was that changed

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

I do also think they're above average, but -20% max HP is a horrible malus and should not be underestimated.

Yred only wants species that are alive or dead, not rocks, even if the rocks have decided to walk around. (They still can't worship him AFAIK.)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

IronicDongz posted:

That's why you eat purple/quaff mutation drink until you get robust :shepface:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

rip my character

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Shame it's a whip and thus its base damage is crap. Good up until finishing Lair and then you'll have a hard time piercing AC for many of the enemies afterward.

Useful lifetime would be greater if it were a dagger instead for some sweet backstabs.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Or just coast with it for a bit while training to cast spells. It's an amazing low investment stat stick.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

resistentialism posted:

Or just coast with it for a bit while training to cast spells. It's an amazing low investment stat stick.

pity about the mp -9

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mixed up the dates somehwat, wisdom teeth removl was today. I'm not super loopy now that I'm hme but I still feel fairly weird+numb overall, also I'm on painkillers as of now.

if anyone wants to watch me be fairly out of it any play crawl I'm at http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-Shard1697

e:actually scratch that I feel like garbage and am sleep

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm giving MfIE a shot. Trying some hybrid stuff.

Should I upgrade my armor (leather or perhaps better) right away, or stick to robes? I've been putting my stat upgrades into DEX - should it be STR? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the constant stream of very basic questions.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was a MiFi with maces/throwing so the MP -9 wasn't a big deal. Just splatted that char in the most hilarious way. Got banished to Abyss, teleported literally 1 turn later into the Abyss rune vault, got confusion locked to death.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Electric Lady posted:

Should I upgrade my armor (leather or perhaps better) right away, or stick to robes? I've been putting my stat upgrades into DEX - should it be STR? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the constant stream of very basic questions.

Ozocubu's Armour is a great spell for any class, and Ice Elementalists just happen to have it available from the start. Maybe late game you'll be wearing dragon armour, but stick to whatever armor lets you cast spells without a problem, and use Ozocubu's armor whenever you're fighting things that can hurt you.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can wear leather with ozos anyways. Go with whatever you can find with a useful ego or plusses, but prefer leather for the (very) minor GDR difference, as long as it's not making your spells unreliable.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My advice is: get summon ice beast castable and lean on that while you learn which end of a trident to hold

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Thanks; I just wasn't sure how much Merfolk rely on their magic compared to how much they want to be tanky. I know they usually roll Okawaru so that's why I was confused. Thanks again for the advice.

Having a string of awful games, though. Don't think I've made it out of D:4 for a handful of them. :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Merfolk can absolutely get by totally fine with no magic at all, just light/medium armor good dodging and insane polearms apt.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Is there a team of crawlers who may or may not get lost to Stellaris?

I want to compete in 0.18, and intend to, but I don't particularly want to let my teammates down if soulcrushing permadeath drives me to a more forgiving genre.

Potential Teamnames
Team Apathy
Chei Latte

Barring that, looking to join a team that'll be in IRC often - easier to keep that motivation up.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Potential Teamname (free to use)
Zig and Gozag

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ziggy Starcursed

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kaschei posted:

Ziggy Starcursed

The NaEn Who Slouched The World

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Gozag for President - Make Crawl Great Again!
Running Mate Zin will build a wall around pandemonium, and no one builds walls better than him, believe me.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 3, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'll build a silver wall around hellion island, and make the hellions pay for it!

... Zin Carson?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Electric Lady posted:

-Don't go above leather or troll leather when you find it until much later, if ever. Wear whatever branded light armor you can find in the early game, then switch to troll leather or a leather or robe that covers a resistance you need.

-Stats should go into Dex or Int, depending on whether you want more defense or an easier time casting bigger spells down the line and better ability to use attack spells.

-My skill strategy on most IE: Ice to 6 or 7 for max power freeze, summoning to 4 for castable ice beasts, a dash of spellcasting for MP. Then go hard into polearms and pick up some dodging and fighting along the way. If you hate summoning and hate managing the ice beasts, just skip them and go for polearms sooner, your crazy aptitudes will make that quite possible. Early investment in ice is still good because freeze is much better than melee on the first few floors and it will help a lot with ozo's armor later.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

This is just statistical bad luck, but to say potions of cure mut are more common now, and I'm currently heading into depths, already have 3 runes, and I still haven't seen a single sodding one...

Fortunately, eating every single chunk of purple seems to have the same net effect.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Welcome, brother.

Good mutations? Garnish your victory laps with more purple.

Bad mutations? Eat/Quaff the sickness away with even more purple.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Looks like a new banner was added:

quote:

Pakellas has a hypothesis for you to test. Is worshipping an unknown god at faded altar just as safe as bowing down before a deliberately chosen deity? Those who attempt to prove this hypothesis will be recognized as THE TEST SUBJECT!
I: Enter the Lair of beasts while worshipping a god (and only that god) from a faded altar.
II: Find a rune while worshipping a god (and only that god) from a faded altar.
III: Win a game while worshipping a god (and only that god) from a faded altar.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jerkstoresup posted:

Excellent, I'd been wondering if Pak was going to get one. And I like this one.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I am down for the tourney! I am of poor skill but have a few wins under my belt, and just ascended a mummy so I feel anything is possible. I am also unemployed at the moment so have plenty of free time to either post a win or two or many sad splats. Are any teams looking for members still?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jerkstoresup posted:

Are ecumenical altars like that even guaranteed? Or do you have to hope to randomly find one?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, there's one that will spawn in the same level range as normal altars.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are ecumenical altars like that even guaranteed?

No. There's a 10% chance of one appearing in any given game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's too bad. I think it would be fun to play a good-invo Monk (HO?) and just pick up the ecumenical altar every game.

I guess you can a similar effect by just worshipping the first god you find.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit not quote

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 3, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

please join my awful, terribly named team

code:
Vashnias Violet Vorarephiliacs

1: tollymain
2: Thalamas
3: LORDOFBUTT
4: unimpressed
5: FitzyFitz
6: PoisonMushroom

# TEAMCAPTAIN tollymain

team's full

quick question, does it matter if my name is capitalized/not capitalized on the servers? if it does, please check to make sure you have the correct, more informal me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

I am down for the tourney! I am of poor skill but have a few wins under my belt, and just ascended a mummy so I feel anything is possible. I am also unemployed at the moment so have plenty of free time to either post a win or two or many sad splats. Are any teams looking for members still?

Yes!

Arivia posted:

Okay I'm recruiting for a team too! So far we are all not very good players, so no requirements. We just want to play a lot and have fun. I'm going to try to post a win myself, but that's not something everyone needs to do.

We could merge with Evoking Mediocrity if you all want, since we each have 3 spots spare and similar (read no) requirements, but it's up to your captain!

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey

Still need 3 more.

• Locked thread