Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are Apple's patents going to expire or something? They could license that poo poo to Dell or HP. PC's trackpads are atrocious. MacBook scrolling is as nice as it is on an iPad or iPhone. AND THE PINCH TO ZOOM in Safari :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there some kind of docking tray type thing I could get to securely hold the Magic Trackpad 2 next to the Magic Keyboard so they're one unit that can be picked up and stuff?

Weedle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 2, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Are Apple's patents going to expire or something? They could license that poo poo to Dell or HP. PC's trackpads are atrocious. MacBook scrolling is as nice as it is on an iPad or iPhone. AND THE PINCH TO ZOOM in Safari :swoon:

The Surface Book I'm using has as nice a trackpad as the MacBook, scrolling in Windows is a LITTLE weird coming from a Mac, but it still works just as well, just the easing and acceleration is a little different. It's actually pretty good. Others are catching up...

Of course the trackpad on my rMBP is bigger, smoother, and I prefer how scrolling feels in OS X (once you disable the inverted scrolling bullshit).

But they're getting better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

Is there some kind of docking tray type thing I could get to securely hold the Magic Trackpad next to the Magic Keyboard so they're one unit that can be picked up and stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/MeshWe-Connects-Trackpad-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B006M7IDTA

But that's for the 1st gen keyboard and trackpad body style.

I haven't seen any for the new versions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

I have been hearing this for almost 10 years (since 2008)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

The Surface Book I'm using has as nice a trackpad as the MacBook, scrolling in Windows is a LITTLE weird coming from a Mac, but it still works just as well, just the easing and acceleration is a little different. It's actually pretty good. Others are catching up...

Of course the trackpad on my rMBP is bigger, smoother, and I prefer how scrolling feels in OS X (once you disable the inverted scrolling bullshit).

I played with one when they first came out, and the trackpad was one of my first interests (the very first being, how I get this top piece off???) It wasn't bad -- better than any other Windows-based trackpad I've tried, but still not as good IMO. And yeah, I didn't miss Windows-style chunky scrolling one bit.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Progress has been pretty slow but things got much better when MS introduced the Precision Touchpad standard. Only problem is many touchpads on new laptops I've tried haven't bothered implementing it :(

IIRC the whole Surface and Dell XPS lines have it now at least.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Aren't business/workstation class PC laptops still using decent trackpads? Because business customers.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Are there known USB power output differences between 13" MBPrs and 15" MBPrs. The 15" 2015 model seems to have issues powering the same set of devices that my 13" 2015 model has no issues with.

We're just going to get a powered hub for the 15" anyways so it's not a huge deal but it's kinda weird.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Weedle posted:

Is there some kind of docking tray type thing I could get to securely hold the Magic Trackpad next to the Magic Keyboard so they're one unit that can be picked up and stuff?

Don't get the Henge Docks one. It's awful. The lip on it is too large so it holds down the trackpad "button" when you have the trackpad and keyboard docked in it. The official response from the manufacturer is to shave it down with a blade or dremel. I did and it works but for a retail product that's pretty unacceptable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sorry, I should have specified the Magic Trackpad 2 (the current-gen one).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Aren't business/workstation class PC laptops still using decent trackpads? Because business customers.

The T-series Thinkpads have as good of touchpads as they do screens.

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

Hello friends, I recently came across an early 2009 Mac Pro on the street while on my way to grab some food. At first I thought someone and had left it outside next to the trash for a quick second, so I figured I'll leave it there, get something to eat (which took about half an hour), and if it's still there, it's safe to assume someone abandoned it. Much to my surprise, it was still there so I brought it home with me. When I tried plugging it in and turning it on, I found out that the PSU had died. Seems like the previous owner didn't care enough to tend to the problem and just chucked the tower without gutting its parts.

I'm interested to find out how well this thing runs, but seeing that a replacement part would run me anywhere from $150-350, do y'all think it's worth it? I don't really know if there's a way to find out if this thing works before throwing down cash for at the very least a working PSU and other parts that might need to be swapped out. If it helps, i'm in the nyc area.

The specs are as follows:

x2 Q. Core Xeon X5570 @2.93 GHz (8 cores)
x2 8gig DDR3 RAM
500gig SSD + 3TB RAID setup
x2 AMD Radeon HD4870
Blu-ray disc r/w optical drive

I feel very fortunate for having found this, but i'm a little wary about investing so much on something that could be dead on arrival. Thanks in advance for any advice~

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That would make a nice plex server.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Housh posted:

That would make a nice plex server space heater.

The Mac Pros eat way too many watts to just leave sitting around all the time just to stream video.

That said I have a 2009 one myself and it's still plenty powerful for everyday use, especially with a couple SSDs and upgraded graphics.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

tuyop posted:

*boots laptop, hard shuts down, boots gpu, turns on laptop and boots to Windows, BSOD, turn it all off, sacrifices a chicken...*

"This is so versatile I swear guys just wait up for me I'll be there for gtav soon!"

*miscounts psu warmup time, spots smoke, plugs power into a "cleaner" outlet, shits pants, boots into Windows, gpu not recognized..."

"Oh nevermind."

Buys a PS4.

Is it really that bad? I've been scoping out some egpu forums and it doesn't look too difficult. I should mention I'm employed as a computer technician who builds computers on the side...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One of the reasons I still need a mouse is that I cannot middle-click and scroll on a touchpad, like for some 3D applications.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Derised posted:

Hello friends, I recently..

:words:

IMHO unless you have a specific need/job for it, I'd put it back on the sidewalk. The PSW is 950W, and the machine draws 146W idle and at least 309W in use, probably more with both those GPUs drawing power. If you use it at home, your electric bill WILL rise, I guarantee it.

CPU wise, a currently selling Mac Mini solidly beats an Early 2009 MP, assuming synthetic benchmarks mean anything to you:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

If you have time and money to spend, it's a great tinkering machine, though.

If you are in the NYC area, maybe you could take it to Tekserve on 23rd St. off 6th, maybe have them evaluate if there's anything other than the PSU to replace?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 3, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I used one previously for a few weeks, but a 3 year old MacBook Pro feels noticeably faster for day to day work

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well don't throw it out at least...save the awesome case and find something cool to do with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

treiz01 posted:

Is it really that bad? I've been scoping out some egpu forums and it doesn't look too difficult. I should mention I'm employed as a computer technician who builds computers on the side...

Well, I've never seen one in the wild but the threads I've read make it sound like an agonizing, never-ending process to make the thing work. I really want to do it anyway because I enjoy tinkering with computer things (my job is to like, teach people and children how to use esoteric software and fix 3D printers, but it seems like I often have to fix broken computers for poors who bring them to the library of all places) and also computer games and Apple computers. Please post about how it goes for you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

http://macapps.link

It's a cool repository of a lot of popular free and paid applications with brief descriptions of each. You can batch install them (really handy on a fresh OS X install) and I believe they all install via the curl command in terminal, directly from the creator(s) of the application(s) so it's pretty safe. I feel like 95% of whatever people here would recommend is probably on this site. If Cheatsheet isn't on there, feel free to grab that (holding Cmd toggles a pop-up that shows you any application's keyboard shortcuts, useful for learning many of OS X's alternatives to any Windows shortcuts you may be accustomed to.)

This is so awesome, thanks!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Choadmaster posted:

The Mac Pros eat way too many watts to just leave sitting around all the time just to stream video.
My imac 2013 is always on because of Plex and :filez: Should I be worried?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

On the one hand, yes you should always care/be worried because it's not great for the environment. On the other hand, the energy is already there because the :heritage: coal companies :heritage: already burnt the coal, and also you're an insignificant factor etc etc.

Seriously though, your 2013 iMac draws anywhere from 37-80 W idle The older Mac Pros drew twice that at idle though the newer ones draw around 45 W (specs). You can calculate your cost/year and/or calculate your CO2 emission keeping your iMac running at/around idle 24/7 and decide if that amount means anything to you.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you very much. What's the definition of idle though? Computer up and running but with the screen off?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Xabi posted:

Thank you very much. What's the definition of idle though? Computer up and running but with the screen off?

Nearly 0% CPU usage. Screen off is weird since normally idle usage is calculated for machines that don't have an integrated display, so yeah, if you want to compare to other machines, screen backlight off.

Derised
Jun 16, 2008

woah, thanks for the advice everyone! truly helpful as always.

It's kinda nuts how much power this machine draws, haha. I'm gonna gut all the cool parts that still work and look into building a hackintosh. I'm sure the Apple cops won't find out and arrest me for creating a frankenstein within their own case :ninja:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Xabi posted:

If you can afford to leave a light bulb running 24/7, you can afford to leave a Mac Pro on idle. I'm going to go against the grain and say you should put two hex core CPUs (~$300) in it to get yourself a sweet, sweet, 12-core machine that can handle pretty much everything you want to throw at it.

Edit: quoted you but this was aimed at Derised.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you can afford to leave a light bulb running 24/7, you can afford to leave a Mac Pro on idle. I'm going to go against the grain and say you should put two hex core CPUs (~$300) in it to get yourself a sweet, sweet, 12-core machine that can handle pretty much everything you want to throw at it.

Edit: quoted you but this was aimed at Derised.

Honest question: are energy saving/LED bulbs not very common in the US (assuming that's where you are based on use of dollars)? They're pretty prevalent over here in the UK and most would use a tenth of the idle usage mentioned earlier.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

Honest question: are energy saving/LED bulbs not very common in the US (assuming that's where you are based on use of dollars)? They're pretty prevalent over here in the UK and most would use a tenth of the idle usage mentioned earlier.

They've only recently taken off here because we Americans believe that environmentalism is a cancer on the glorious freedoms of the greatest country on earth and any attempt to get us to curb our energy usage is a pernicious Communist plot to destroy our Christian values.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Even our current laptop HTPC which uses 64w max is like running ten LED lightbulbs at once. Civilized lightbulbs are really power efficient!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

We just simply banned incandescent bulbs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle22739434/

I don't even care. I like the warm light you get from them, but you can buy warm CFLs and LEDs now. But yeah the same light output as a 100W bulb in like 20W, it's great, and I don't even pay for electricity.

Keeping a power-hungry old machine running just to perform menial tasks that a Raspberry Pi can do seems... wasteful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You can get CFLs at the Dollarama. Not sure about LED. I got them from Rona for all the exterior and interior lights that are hard to reach.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Froist posted:

I dealt with a ton (realistically: dozens) of people who hated CFLs when energy companies were given subsidies to work with bulb manufacturers in my state a few years ago. Tons of anti-gubment people roaming the wilderness who despise new methods to cut energy usage. I'd like to think they're the same people who argued about how lead should be left in gas. I haven't bought any bulbs (all are incandescent) since I moved into this place ~2 years ago and, while I don't mind CFLs, I really doubt the majority of bulbs in the US are CFL at this point. If you can't get the majority of Americans to spend $4 on four CFLs (now more likely $2 for four), there's no way in hell you're getting them to spend $11 on four LED bulbs anytime soon.

My entire point is that for the price of a new power supply and a couple of processors, some lucky gently caress has a machine that would sell for ~$2,000 easy, assuming it isn't in garbage shape from being left in the... garbage. Good find.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bloodplay it again posted:

I dealt with a ton (realistically: dozens) of people who hated CFLs when energy companies were given subsidies to work with bulb manufacturers in my state a few years ago. Tons of anti-gubment people roaming the wilderness who despise new methods to cut energy usage. I'd like to think they're the same people who argued about how lead should be left in gas. I haven't bought any bulbs (all are incandescent) since I moved into this place ~2 years ago and, while I don't mind CFLs, I really doubt the majority of bulbs in the US are CFL at this point. If you can't get the majority of Americans to spend $4 on four CFLs (now more likely $2 for four), there's no way in hell you're getting them to spend $11 on four LED bulbs anytime soon.

My entire point is that for the price of a new power supply and a couple of processors, some lucky gently caress has a machine that would sell for ~$2,000 easy, assuming it isn't in garbage shape from being left in the... garbage. Good find.

I don't even care about the out of pocket costs, but energy aside, CFLs suck. Even the "soft-white" ones. Quality LEDs rock however, and I just spent about $300 replacing EVERY SINGLE light in and on my home with LED lights. I have a surprisingly large number of recessed lights, so it was probably a bit more expensive than most people would spend. But like I said I don't care how much, it's worth it to not have to worry about replacing them for many, many years.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flosofl posted:

I don't even care about the out of pocket costs, but energy aside, CFLs suck. Even the "soft-white" ones. Quality LEDs rock however, and I just spent about $300 replacing EVERY SINGLE light in and on my home with LED lights. I have a surprisingly large number of recessed lights, so it was probably a bit more expensive than most people would spend. But like I said I don't care how much, it's worth it to not have to worry about replacing them for many, many years.

I replaced almost all of the lightbulbs in my home with LEDs that CostCo had with an instant rebate from our local electric company. I saw a significant decrease in my electric bills after doing so. 6 recessed lights in the kitchen, another 6 in the den, 5 lights in the dining room... they all add up quickly.

That said, I had to returns several LEDs back to CostCo because they started flickering after they were in use for a while. Maybe only after a month or two, some longer than that. I couldn't imagine the hassle I'd have to jump through to replace them if I didn't get them through CostCo. I even tried contacting the manufacturer and they never responded to me at all. Even though it says to call them about replacing defective bulbs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

We just simply banned incandescent bulbs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle22739434/

I don't even care. I like the warm light you get from them, but you can buy warm CFLs and LEDs now. But yeah the same light output as a 100W bulb in like 20W, it's great, and I don't even pay for electricity.

Keeping a power-hungry old machine running just to perform menial tasks that a Raspberry Pi can do seems... wasteful.

Buying/producing more useless poo poo like rasp pis when we have tons of functioning electronics going into garbage/inefficient recycling makes it a zero sum game. Do whatever it doesn't matter.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Kaizoku posted:

Buying/producing more useless poo poo like rasp pis when we have tons of functioning electronics going into garbage/inefficient recycling makes it a zero sum game. Do whatever it doesn't matter.

I don't find raspberry pi's useless at all, they are just very anti the apple Ethos. But the selling points of Apple to me are superior hardware design and UNIX.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Froist posted:

The Republicans and conservatives here think the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is evil. Most also don't believe in climate change so yeah things are still... developing right now.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mu Zeta posted:

The Republicans and conservatives here think the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is evil.

Which, ironically, was created by Nixon.