Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Playing BFSR Beta.

I dig the starting dimension, lots of good stuff in there, but everything about the nurse is awful. Is she supposed to be Kawaii? Was I supposed to Uguu?

Everything else is awesome though. I used the Alternate Terrain Generator like the map suggested, and ended up with an deserted island surrounded by villages that are suspended over water. None of the houses were connected, so I had to dig out the farms a bit to get dirt so I could make walkways between them. All the villagers are swimming now though, which sucks. I did get most of a free TC Smeltry out of the deal too, which is great.

I think I'm going to treat this kind of like a Skyblock map, and limit myself to never visiting the island. (With the allowance that if I die and haven't yet made a bed to reset my spawn, I'm allowed to touch the island for the half-second required to begin swimming back.)

Current Goals:
- Finish lighting up/mob-proofing my starting village. (Designated Alpha Site. Current mob issue is that mobs are spawning in water, meaning that they do not burn during the day. Current solution is to wall-off my walkways so that skeletons can't shoot me.)
- Villager-Proof the Alpha Site walkways. (Fences instead of single block walls. The idiots.)
- Build a boat dock so that I can begin excursions to the other two villages and begin doing the same to them. (The soon to be designated Sites Beta and Charlie.) Also use this as an opportunity to figure out a way to return the villagers to their homes. This may be futile.
- Construct a grazing area far enough out to allow sheep, pig, and cow spawns. It has to be like 50 blocks away from my active area, right?
- Spruce up my Mine-Shaft and relocate the Tree Farm to... somewhere other than above my mine.

Eventual Goals
- Begin construction of Site Delta, the floating Rocket Launch platform Mother Base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RickVoid posted:

I dig the starting dimension, lots of good stuff in there, but everything about the nurse is awful. Is she supposed to be Kawaii? Was I supposed to Uguu?
Heh maybe I shouldn't start with that nurse, but I gave a bunch of the NPCs stupid gimmicks. I am assuming then you missed the shirtless guy manning the Overworld booth, for a counter-example.

You have played a bit of Minecraft--and even modded Minecraft--before, so you probably don't need to be in the tutorial dimension for much. However, you probably want to note the shops. I set up a really tiny economy so players could trade this for that if they were in a very peculiar pinch. For example, if their overworld spawns in a very desolate place, they should be able to minimally dig up some dirt or sand, trade it in for other stuff, and get basic materials. There's also a place to get replacement quest books, manuals, and the like for free.

When I get the last quest finished, I'll shift around things in the NPC town and include a pre-quest for visiting the various locations and why they are there. I presume you probably missed the demonstration moon base in the hanger by the airfield, for example. There's nothing to indicate it's even there right now.

Villages have been generating strangely. TheresaJayne's telling me here that they are using different generation rules, but I'm finding this to be especially peculiar now. I was having terrible problems with them if I used the RTG. ATG looked okay back in the day, but villages were really rare. The default generator usually worked out fine, but now I'm seeing some goofiness.

There's also some strange problems with nether portals showing up in the Overworld. I'm not sure what data is carrying that forward from the template. I'm really asking for a lot of trouble because I'm trying to take an existing save--that has all the tutorial stuff, remove the overworld dimension, and set it up so that when you create the new world, it uses whatever settings you specified instead of what was in the original template. I couldn't get any advice on this from IRC, forums, or anywhere else; I'm in completely alient territory.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

AceClown posted:

I'd say HQM kinda made the whole feeding of the beast thing a bit redundant, agarian skies quests towards the end sort of fill the niche.

I did enjoy the giant pyramid from FTB Insanity SMP Classic or whatever bullshit it's called now, though. HQM is great, but I really liked turning stuff in by just chucking it in a hole in the ground. It made the whole thing feel more impactful, you know?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I did notice all that stuff in the tutorial dimension, it'll come in handy when I get around to the higher tech stuff. Shirtless guy i just found amusing.

I feel really lucky about my trio of villages now, if they are rare to see.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Best suggestion for putting the villagers back home is a reusable safari net. It's a ghast tear and four ender pearls, but they do drop in chests sometimes and one of them would let you move as many villagers around as you wanted (one at a time, admittedly.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Built a little dock for them to swim to, they couldn't figure it out. Sigh.

That said, I've got the new walkways built for Alpha, and I fenced off my farms and stuff. Still need to build a pasture, tree farm, and pretty up my mine.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

NEI won't help you anyway for that. In a GoG skyblock, dirt comes from the Rod of the Lands.

This is true, but for everthing else NEI is needed.

Its so much easier to type in what you want and see how to craft it than to go through the lexicon. As well as the book is set out, its still a chore to go through.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

This is true, but for everthing else NEI is needed.

Its so much easier to type in what you want and see how to craft it than to go through the lexicon. As well as the book is set out, its still a chore to go through.

use the index, it has text search

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was double-checking some stuff with AE2 spatial storage and verified I cannot clone spatial drives. I was hoping to be able to clone the ship I'm using for the BFSR end-game quest, but it ends up maintaining state with all other cloned drives. So if somebody summons the ship and leaves it somewhere, somebody else trying to do the same won't get anything.

In most situations, it won't really matter. Most will just be doing this single-player, and multi-player folks will probably just do this all together. However, I wondered if there was something I could do to make this more convenient for people who might want to set it up for multiple tries. Say, I am wondering if there's a commonplace mod where I can save the ship off and use a shell command to just generate it somewhere. This would also help me playtest it because, well, some of the mobs kind of tear up the place, and the player is encouraged to place blocks and knock out walls.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was double-checking some stuff with AE2 spatial storage and verified I cannot clone spatial drives. I was hoping to be able to clone the ship I'm using for the BFSR end-game quest, but it ends up maintaining state with all other cloned drives. So if somebody summons the ship and leaves it somewhere, somebody else trying to do the same won't get anything.

In most situations, it won't really matter. Most will just be doing this single-player, and multi-player folks will probably just do this all together. However, I wondered if there was something I could do to make this more convenient for people who might want to set it up for multiple tries. Say, I am wondering if there's a commonplace mod where I can save the ship off and use a shell command to just generate it somewhere. This would also help me playtest it because, well, some of the mobs kind of tear up the place, and the player is encouraged to place blocks and knock out walls.

Well on a server you can possibly set up a kit/setup I know the essentials kits wouldnt do exactly as you need but there may be a way ot copying it - What happens if you use a creative chest?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Spacial ME drives can't be cloned because it's literally moving stuff into another DIM, and you can walk around and do stuff in this dimension, it just very rapidly drains your hunger and you may not have a way out.

At least I don't think you can normally.

The FTB ME3 and ME4 maps have a bunch of cloned spacial drives in reward bags somehow.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 4, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I just got weird village spawns in a new ATG BFSR beta world as well. Spawned in, used the free TNT to blow up a cave, blew a hole into what was an underground village farm. Looked nearby and there was another one half underground with an intact nether portal, and then, out in the ocean in the distance, a bunch of village houses.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

I just got weird village spawns in a new ATG BFSR beta world as well. Spawned in, used the free TNT to blow up a cave, blew a hole into what was an underground village farm. Looked nearby and there was another one half underground with an intact nether portal, and then, out in the ocean in the distance, a bunch of village houses.

I've now found underground villages as well, plus villages in the ocean that are sitting at the top of some terrifyingly tall pillars. ATG really does have some issues.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am not sure if the villages is a side effect of Lockdown. I was trying RTG at the same time and thought what I saw was just RTG being strange. Maybe not. I probably won't be able to really figure it out until the weekend though.

It has to be an issue with Lockdown and using a template like I am doing. I did lots of playtesting of the pack before I switched to this tutorial dimension thing with ATG and Default and never had a problem with villages.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there an HQM or a similarly bread-crumby progression modpack for terrafirmacraft? I love the concept but I can't be arsed to constantly alt-tab with a wiki

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

The FTB ME3 and ME4 maps have a bunch of cloned spacial drives in reward bags somehow.

Spacial cells are just a reference to a dimension and coordinates inside if it, they don't actually hold any of the block information.

That's why if you get a second copy of a cell in the ME maps you can't load it and have a "fresh" copy - it's pulling stuff from the same location as the first one so they will always match.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Taffer posted:

Spacial cells are just a reference to a dimension and coordinates inside if it, they don't actually hold any of the block information.

That's why if you get a second copy of a cell in the ME maps you can't load it and have a "fresh" copy - it's pulling stuff from the same location as the first one so they will always match.

Since you can 'escape' that space and build further out, does that mean someone else' stuff might end up in the same area - or is it a different dimension for each player's AE or something?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

In IE:S I have an auto heavy sieve chain with auto compressor making compressed cobblestone feeding via hopper into an auto heavy hammer to make gravel. Except the compressor won't stop compressing when it gets back stuffed and starts dropping compressed cobble into the world. Also weirdly enough all the internal stacks are at 63. Any ideas on how to stop this.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Heffer posted:

In IE:S I have an auto heavy sieve chain with auto compressor making compressed cobblestone feeding via hopper into an auto heavy hammer to make gravel. Except the compressor won't stop compressing when it gets back stuffed and starts dropping compressed cobble into the world. Also weirdly enough all the internal stacks are at 63. Any ideas on how to stop this.

Yeah, switch it out for a cyclic assembler.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fayk posted:

Since you can 'escape' that space and build further out, does that mean someone else' stuff might end up in the same area - or is it a different dimension for each player's AE or something?

I suppose it's possible, I'm not sure how far apart it ends up spacing the cells. I think it's a few hundred blocks so you'd have to work for it.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Taffer posted:

I suppose it's possible, I'm not sure how far apart it ends up spacing the cells. I think it's a few hundred blocks so you'd have to work for it.

Each Spatial Cell is its own Minecraft dimension (e.g. mine is DIM42 and yours is DIM43). AFAIK you cannot "bleed" into each others dimensions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Heffer posted:

Have the compressor push items into a chest or something like that you can detect the fullness of with a comparator. Run the signal from the comparator to whatever's feeding cobble to the compressor, or the compressor itself, so that it doesn't fill up. What you send the redstone signal to depends on what actually reacts to a redstone signal.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lolmer posted:

Each Spatial Cell is its own Minecraft dimension (e.g. mine is DIM42 and yours is DIM43). AFAIK you cannot "bleed" into each others dimensions.

Oh right, I think I'm mixing it up with that compact cube mod

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

When actively cooled reactors say they turn "water (coolant)" into steam, this is a separate "coolant" than what you put in the empty spaces within the reactor right? Does an actively cooled reactor have to use water as a flowing coolant or can you use something else? Otherwise I don't see why the inefficiency gains would ever be worth it. The terminology is really confusing.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Bouchacha posted:

When actively cooled reactors say they turn "water (coolant)" into steam, this is a separate "coolant" than what you put in the empty spaces within the reactor right? Does an actively cooled reactor have to use water as a flowing coolant or can you use something else? Otherwise I don't see why the inefficiency gains would ever be worth it. The terminology is really confusing.

The coolant you place manually within the reactor, or "outside coolant" as it's deemed in some places, doesn't become superheated. It's static - otherwise you'd need to break the multiblock fairly often to restock.

As far as I've seen previously, and from what I can tell currently from the wikis, water is the only "internal" coolant that's supported natively by Big Reactors. Thus all the measurements being in mb/t of steam for pumping into turbines/dynamos (though I'd love to be wrong here).

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 5, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Botania questions.

Ive been looking at automated tree farm builds and an early one ive seen that i can build with what i have uses mana being passed through multiple mana spreaders.

Does that cause any mana loss? Would it be better to use a mana pool rather than an additional mana spreader? I know i need to keep the whole set up under 12 blocks before i lose mana.

And is the mana lose via the bore lenses significant?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

It's separate. You build the reactor exactly as you would then put ports on it and pump it full of water.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ok that makes a lot of sense. So basically there's the "outside coolant" that you see and place, and then another completely separate internal invisible tank of water and steam (and ONLY water it seems) that you use for spinning turbines. Right?

I want to build the turbine right against my reactor so that the coolant ports are right against each other. How would you "seed" the system with water at first?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Meskhenet posted:

Botania questions.

Ive been looking at automated tree farm builds and an early one ive seen that i can build with what i have uses mana being passed through multiple mana spreaders.

Does that cause any mana loss? Would it be better to use a mana pool rather than an additional mana spreader? I know i need to keep the whole set up under 12 blocks before i lose mana.

There is loss if you shoot mana directly to another mana spreader.

It takes 24 mana to break a block; a normal mana spreader 'shot' only holds 160 which means 6 blocks can be broke before a new 'shot' is required. So not too significant.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Botania questions.

As long as mana isn't being shot from one spreader into another spreader, there is no loss.

It does cost mana from the burst for every block that is broken by the Bore lens.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Botania questions.

Mana spreaders lose 5% of the mana that comes into them from a direct mana beam. Do NOT string mana spreaders together. Mana spreaders will take mana from mana pools without loss, however, which just means you have to worry about the distance-based loss so long as you have a mana pool attached to every spreader, and have spreaders beaming into the pools.

Edit: Hey anyone know anything about TerraFirmaPunk? Via some wizardry they've managed to shove parts of Twilight Forest into the overworld (but not REALLY), and there are roguelike dungeons all over the place. Seems like the focus is on steam power which is thankfully not gated behind steel. It looks like ore generation is mostly the same (sparse as hell and dependent on stone layer) but I'm not sure how much more convenient ore processing is.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 5, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Bouchacha posted:

Ok that makes a lot of sense. So basically there's the "outside coolant" that you see and place, and then another completely separate internal invisible tank of water and steam (and ONLY water it seems) that you use for spinning turbines. Right?

I want to build the turbine right against my reactor so that the coolant ports are right against each other. How would you "seed" the system with water at first?

Either a third coolant port, or you fill it with water before building the turbine against it. The water will stay in there until it's turned to steam.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Black Pants posted:

Either a third coolant port, or you fill it with water before building the turbine against it. The water will stay in there until it's turned to steam.

Third coolant port connected to an EIO reservoir or TE accumulator tends to work best for me. It might take a bit to fill the system up but it works automatically.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Assuming everything else is the same, does the size of a big reactor turbine matter?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am not sure if the villages is a side effect of Lockdown. I was trying RTG at the same time and thought what I saw was just RTG being strange. Maybe not. I probably won't be able to really figure it out until the weekend though.

It has to be an issue with Lockdown and using a template like I am doing. I did lots of playtesting of the pack before I switched to this tutorial dimension thing with ATG and Default and never had a problem with villages.

We have seen the same issue with modsauce and TPPI2

Villages on pillars, villages underground, (I even found one that was half on a slime island and half on the ground so all the stuff on the slime island were on tall pillars)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Botania questions.

You lose mana going spreader to spreader but if you go spreader to pool to spreader to pool it will not lose any.

I have a mana farm working on TPPI2 with Potatoes and it works really well using drum of the wild

Bore lenses just break blocks in the beam and should lose a small percentage of the mana for each block broken

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

Assuming everything else is the same, does the size of a big reactor turbine matter?

Amount of steam, Number of blades, and Number and type of coil blocks all make a difference. in Rotation speed and 900 / 1800 is the ideal speeds for a turbine.

80 blades 32 Ludicrite coil blocks and 2000mb/t steam put the rotation at just under 1800 rpm but within the green zone and produce 25k RF/t - and can be powered with a 7x7x3 reactor at 75% cores (3x3 core in the middle with liquid ender) for a total of 0.02mb/t of yellorium

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

We have seen the same issue with modsauce and TPPI2

Villages on pillars, villages underground, (I even found one that was half on a slime island and half on the ground so all the stuff on the slime island were on tall pillars)

Hmm. I feel like I found the problem. I was copying the /data folder from the save to the template wholesale. This included villages.dat, which has coordinates for all villages. I believe when you start a new world that way, the data carries over, and the current terrain generator is free to throw more villages on top of it. So that would explain the wealth of villages, and also the goofy placement. The village "center" as 3d coordinates is recorded within that data. There were also files for stuff like temples and strongholds. It would explain the temple that was out-of-place.

I have to keep running tests because, well, villages are much rarer now!

I still got a drat Nether portal, so I'm going to be skimming the level data to find the hints of rogue portals.

lolmer posted:

Well this is actually pretty decent news... maybe. I am going to see if I can just copy the dimension folder to another spatial drive's dimension and see if it safely backs up stuff. Savvy admins can do this cloning business to give multiple players a shot at the ship. As for me, it lets me make a backup!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I still got a drat Nether portal, so I'm going to be skimming the level data to find the hints of rogue portals.

Are you retaining the Nether? as any portals in the nether will be spawned in overworld at their locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Are you retaining the Nether? as any portals in the nether will be spawned in overworld at their locations.

Nope. I figured that one out awhile ago.

I'm not sure if I can get mcedit to load up the tutorial dimension for anything. I guess it expects normal saves with level.dat files and stuff.

Edit: Oh wait, I have one of those! :3

Edit Edit: Naw mcedit crashes before it can find an obsidian block. According to the analysis view--and I assume I actually had it select the entire tutorial dimension--there wasn't any obsidian. I don't know if I can trust that though.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 5, 2016