Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

S.J. posted:

how bad is it going to be, for real

Probably completely okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I predict that once the drama dies down the internet will realise it's just a game.

I look forward to getting halfway through, switching to something else in my Steam library, and forgetting about it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

S.J. posted:

how bad is it going to be, for real

Its twisted code will kill the world's most beautiful, most innocent baby every time you hit the dash button.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It won't be as bad as its worst detractors claim and it won't be as good as the defensive response to those detractors will claim.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

e: nvm, wrong thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

It won't be as bad as its worst detractors claim and it won't be as good as the defensive response to those detractors will claim.

I mean anyone who kickstarted it can play a beta right now. We have a good idea of how ti plays. It's certainly not a garbage fire or anything.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean anyone who kickstarted it can play a beta right now. We have a good idea of how ti plays. It's certainly not a garbage fire or anything.

I found their boards and account management stuff so annoying I never bothered to download the beta. It's a little more of a hassle for anyone who did a direct paypal rather than through KS, as I did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sorry duder, you're going to need to spend a lot of time making the UI.

Brah nah UI isn't protected by like IP laws and poo poo right? Just base your UI on something you've played that was already really good. Actraiser, Crystal Chronicles, Fallout for something more recent and in a different visual perspective. I mean yeah, it'll take a lot of work to put together well, but it's not something that you really need to make up from scratch. Plenty of good reference materials to work with :)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Empire of the Undergrowth got funded this time, they still have about 3 weeks left too so a stretch or two may be reached as well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ratzap posted:

Empire of the Undergrowth got funded this time, they still have about 3 weeks left too so a stretch or two may be reached as well.

Very happy about that, but I hope they put up some stretch goals sooner rather than later.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

So happy to have hit our first stretchgoal yesterday, that's the Ultra Fully Voicedone, and that means some very talented goons will have a lot of voices to record for Gibbous! SA's been great as far as quality affordable voice acting. Now reaching for EFIGS, fingers crossed!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
close. it's missing the ring

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
That little h poking from between the finger is a nod to it, tho.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What is that developer doing to his goal?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mr Underhill posted:

So happy to have hit our first stretchgoal yesterday, that's the Ultra Fully Voicedone, and that means some very talented goons will have a lot of voices to record for Gibbous! SA's been great as far as quality affordable voice acting. Now reaching for EFIGS, fingers crossed!

*slowly stands up to start brewing another pot of coffee*

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Mr Underhill's
About To Make
You His Bitch.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dean of Swing posted:

Mr Underhill's
About To Make
You His Bitch.

Pledge It Down.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Lynn and the Spirits of Inao (which was part of the Gibbous latest update's shoutouts) looks very pretty and really close to the Ghibli Studios animation/ character drawing style.
Not sure about the platforming bit (which is apparently a main part of the gameplay). A demo would really help their case, or at least give a better idea about how it would control.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloomylight-studio/lynn-and-the-spirits-of-inao/

Thimbleweed Park's latest update show an updated UI, where the verbs are now overlayed over the background without blocking the bottom part of the screen (which is an optional feature). It does look way better this way! Also, the estimated release got pushed back to Janurary 2016.
https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/stateofthegame3

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Thimbleweed Park's latest update show an updated UI, where the verbs are now overlayed over the background without blocking the bottom part of the screen (which is an optional feature). It does look way better this way! Also, the estimated release got pushed back to Janurary 2016.

quote:

While installing the new font, I accidentally left some code commented out and the verbs were drawn over the background, without a black background, and it was stunning to see. The game had a whole different feel. It took me around 10 seconds of walking around to realize that the whole game needed to be like this.

He'll accidentally discover left-click use/right-click examine next, any day now!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Lynn and the Spirits of Inao (which was part of the Gibbous latest update's shoutouts) looks very pretty and really close to the Ghibli Studios animation/ character drawing style.
Not sure about the platforming bit (which is apparently a main part of the gameplay). A demo would really help their case, or at least give a better idea about how it would control.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloomylight-studio/lynn-and-the-spirits-of-inao/

Very pretty, but yeah, no demo, no previous projects from the team, and no one with the job title of programmer means no backing from me.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

AbstractNapper posted:

I assume you mean 2017. :v:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Baron Snow posted:

Very pretty, but yeah, no demo, no previous projects from the team, and no one with the job title of programmer means no backing from me.

Yeah, in their "where is the money going" section

quote:

Hire a new full time programmer, as the one we had until now unfortunately had to leave us, precisely because we could no longer remunerate him

That doesn't sound good. The game looks beautiful, and if it were a short film, I'd be on it. But without a programmer, you don't have a game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SupSuper posted:

I assume you mean 2017. :v:

Dammit. Still getting confused by what year is this.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I just threw in for the Midair (tribesalike game) campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archetypestudios/midair

I've seen reddit comments reacting to this along the lines of "why don't people innovate, what's up with just copying old games" and I can kind of sympathize, but there are in fact studios out there trying (with varying success) to do brand new stuff even in the FPS genre. I like that, but I also really like seeing people who are old enough to have been fans of games like Q3, Tribes, and Myth get "all growed up" and become developers trying to recapture something essential about those games that maybe other developers haven't nailed (and so we get projects like Reflex, Midair, and Deadhold).

Also I dig their art direction!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, has their been a kickstarter for a Myth-like or are you just saying things?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Not a Kickstarter no, and I'm not sure if they're going to eventually do that or not. Just mentioning it as a title-in-development that is the sort of thing I was talking about.

Website is at http://www.deadhold.com/ but most activity for now is on their Discord server.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Johnny Law posted:

I just threw in for the Midair (tribesalike game) campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archetypestudios/midair

I've seen reddit comments reacting to this along the lines of "why don't people innovate, what's up with just copying old games" and I can kind of sympathize, but there are in fact studios out there trying (with varying success) to do brand new stuff even in the FPS genre. I like that, but I also really like seeing people who are old enough to have been fans of games like Q3, Tribes, and Myth get "all growed up" and become developers trying to recapture something essential about those games that maybe other developers haven't nailed (and so we get projects like Reflex, Midair, and Deadhold).

Also I dig their art direction!

Somebody posted a thread for this game on the site and everyone's ripping the piss out of it for reasons I don't really understand? it looks fine to me. Seems to be making money at a respectable click as well.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think there's some inner drama in the Tribes community that spilled over from elsewhere that we can't hope/don't want to understand.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Drama? In the Tribes community? What a surprise.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Damnit, now I want another Starsiege game :(

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The thing about a Tribes game remake is that you need to do a lot of very expensive, very specific stuff to make a proper Tribes sequel - bases, equipment customization, multi-person vehicles, dynamic firing arc indicators for targeting lasers and marker beacons, etc. If you just make "FPS with skiing and guns that aren't hitscan" you might as well stop because a "Tribes" game that does just that already exists - it's Hi-Rezes Tribes game.

A new Starsiege or Earthsiege would be amazing though - and it's probably the only genre that didn't get a kickstarter yet (Bioware get off your asses and Kickstart the Shattered Steel sequel you promised ten years ago already).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

S.J. posted:

Damnit, now I want another Starsiege game :(
:(:hf::(

I'd settle for GoG releases. I mean, I know they put the games out for free a while back, but the compatibility poo poo from GoG would be nice.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Tribes 2 is actually free now, there are still servers up too that just need a patch to use.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:(:hf::(

I'd settle for GoG releases. I mean, I know they put the games out for free a while back, but the compatibility poo poo from GoG would be nice.

Cyberstorm too, for that matter. gently caress I played those a lot. drat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Law posted:

No interest in game, kinda wanna back for art direction.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Holy moly, I never seen a final push like Arcadian Atlas', EVER! https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1266693296/arcadian-atlas-tactical-rpg-inspired-by-classics/#chart-daily Check out that next to final day!

And since I'm posting here, wanna send out a HUGE thank you to all the goons who supported Gibbous. We pulled through and hit 3 stretchgoals! almost $56k out of a $40k ask. https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/777841902/gibbous-a-cthulhu-adventure/#chart-daily

At least 34 backers and $600+ from forums.somethingawful.com, you all rock, y'all know who you are! Full time game developer now and it's thanks to you guys. Woot!!!

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Holy moly, I never seen a final push like Arcadian Atlas', EVER! https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1266693296/arcadian-atlas-tactical-rpg-inspired-by-classics/#chart-daily Check out that next to final day!

Yeah, I was all doom and gloom over in its thread on the TIGForums. Never would have thought it would make it. Last day is 200% of the first day. Crazy!

They announced signing an agreement with 2K to include Booker and Elisabeth from Bioshock Infinite in their game in one of the last days. That must have given them a huge boost. I wonder what their funding would've been like if they had managed to sign that agreement before the kickstarter? No news outlets had time to pick up on it the way they did it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Paypal is altering its protection policy to NOT cover paypal payments made to crowd funding projects in Brazil, the US, Canada, Japan but not the UK.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Innerguard posted:

Paypal is altering its protection policy to NOT cover paypal payments made to crowd funding projects in Brazil, the US, Canada, Japan but not the UK.

Thanks, Star Citizen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone remember '90s Arcade Racer, the crowdfunded indie racing game for PC/Wii U that immediately dropped off the map once Nicalis signed on as publisher? Well, it looks like they've cancelled those versions and are releasing it as "'90s Super GP" for PS4/XB1: http://angelcomm.net/games/90s-super-gp