Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Go for it! (while prices are still acceptable) Only series 1 are expensive, the rest are more or less the same price as when they were retail

I am currently in the process of buying ALL THE MIXELS!

I was also on the Mixel quest. Managed to find everything back through series 3, but series 1 and 2 are long gone in my region. I suppose I could buy them on amazon but they're way too expensive for me to hit that purchase button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Fishing Shop only just passed the 10,000 mark in the last couple of days, but it's also probably the one I'd like the most out of those.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
How are they accomplishing the look of the fishing house where the light-teal sideboards have some separation between them? Is that just how it looks when you stack bricks with side-studs? I would've expected them to be flush, but I like the look.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is side stud bricks, but I think to get that perfect spacing there's a trick to it.. the stud is centered on the tile or something. It's in the advanced technique pdf that's out there.

Not sure that would ever make it to a Lego set.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Felt inspired by the Camaro a few pages back and decided to Mad Max-ify the McLaren P1. Not quite done with it, needs more spikes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ineptitude posted:

Go for it! (while prices are still acceptable) Only series 1 are expensive, the rest are more or less the same price as when they were retail

I am currently in the process of buying ALL THE MIXELS!

I have most of series 1, and all of series 2-3 sealed that I need to sell. Interested?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I don't remember which of you US guys was interested in the soccer team figures, but I asked at a store and they said if they get enough boxes they'd let me have an unopened one. If you are still up for that I'd check the shipping costs. The last figures were all 3 euros each, not sure if these will be more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm drooling over this one (which probably won't get approved)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/138271

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

jeeves posted:

I have most of series 1, and all of series 2-3 sealed that I need to sell. Interested?

I am. Are you in Europe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

I just really hate lego dioramas that don't come with a baseplate, which is probably what would happen with the fossil set.

The accelerator is just awkward, nothing to play with, and isn't that cool of a display piece.
It actually does stuff, it's not "just" a display piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdmDb8ozcXc

Davros1 posted:

I don't know, it's got some serious groundswell, getting nearly 10k in well under a month, which might be a great selling point for it alone. It also looks loving outstanding and also very solid, those small balljoints can hold a lot of weight. I don't know if the sword and shield would be doable, but just the five lions would be far and away enough for me, and they also don't look to be made up of that many pieces, maybe a hundred or two each? And mostly basic bricks, to boot. If the connections and supports for the combined robot are sturdy enough, I'd say it's actually got a good chance at being accepted especially considering the incredibly rapid support it's gotten.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like the idea of the museum fossils, but the presentation of them as it stands is pretty poor. I think a single, bigger skeleton would work better, or a single plinth with a diorama like a mother dinosaur with its young, or two dinosaurs fighting or something. A focal point for the set to be built around. Stick it on a wood paneled plinth, and it's like a lego sculptural display piece in and of itself, and then the fact that it's also at minifig scale and comes bundled with a curator and a tourist is a cool little bonus. Maybe throw in a little cabinet with some smaller fossils if the set needs fleshing out more. I'm sure if it gets chosen it'll be adapted into something a bit more nicely presented; as it stands, it's a weird halfway point where the skeletons aren't quite good enough to be the main focus of the set, but their surroundings aren't good enough for the set to hold up as a museum interior model either.

I think an accurate minifig scale skeleton of a really big dinosaur would be pretty great to just drive home the scale of these animals, honestly. There's a leg of a titanosaur at my local museum that is easily ceiling height.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Oh wow that's great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Voltron and Johnny 5 strike me as one of those things the Internet grabs hold of and throws off the support process. It's like how we got Big Bang Theory and I really hope they don't make the cut. I'd love to have the Fish Store as-is, or the Dino Museum with some modification.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voltron and Johnny 5 strike me as one of those things the Internet grabs hold of and throws off the support process. It's like how we got Big Bang Theory and I really hope they don't make the cut. I'd love to have the Fish Store as-is, or the Dino Museum with some modification.

Yeah well gently caress you I want actually transforming, combining voltron licensed legos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As great as that Voltron looks I kind of wonder how much smoke and mirrors is going on with it. it seems pretty unlikely it just pops apart and back together. Theres probably some pretty heavy modifications going on in between.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

List of first ideas sets being reviewed for this year are up:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/64

Fishing Store is probably my favorite looking of the bunch, but I doubt they choose it.

Johnny Five looks like rear end to me.

Nothing here really wows me, but I generally like this batch, none of it really makes me want to roll my eyes.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My predictions:
Fossil Museum: Nice, but they didn't go with the second second scientist diorama set.
Gingerbread House: Very seasonal, and they already do a seasonal Christmas set. They did a small gingerbread house last year. I don't see it being approved as an Ideas set.
Jedi High Council Chamber: Existing license. Nope!
Jurassic Park Visitor's Center: Existing license. Nope!
Modular Train Station: Too big, already an existing line. Nope!
Old Fishing Store: Looks a bit big, but it's got a shot.
Particle Accelerator: I love it, but it might be too big, and it's very niche.
Rolling BB-8: Existing license. Nope!
Johnny Five: From a 28-year-old movie. No hint of a reboot, no real cult following or embedding in the social consciousness like BttF or Ghostbusters. The model looks good and it looks like a good size, but it's very iffy it passes review. Probably no.

All in all...good chance it'll be another review session with no winners.

Not in this one, but Voltron: Netflix is producing a new CGI Voltron show with Dreamworks. The only Dreamworks property that seems to have building toys is How to Train your Dragon, with a clone company called Ionix Bricks, who also had a Pokemon license (but apparently did so poorly that they only released a few sets and then they vanished). An existing relationship with a clone brand could hurt its chances, but it depends on the others rightsholders. Netflix originals are pretty big right now, but we're also talking about a property that's 30 years old and has unknown reboot potential. Large, complex build that may break rules. I'm leaning No on this one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand I completely believe World Events would be down with making Lego Voltron. They make all kinds of dumb Voltron merch, they'd love to do Lego stuff I bet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I know I said I pro original creations, but I can't vote against that Voltron Lego set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized the scale of Voltron. That set would be 300 easy. probably more.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I want the fish shop to win so I can put it between my Haunted Mansion and Creator Lighthouse for the perfect spooky seaside village diorama.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man...speaking of Ideas I just realized mine only has 10 days left and has less than 200 votes. Wasn't expecting to get 10K but I thought it would do way better than that. Got almost every vote on the first day too with maybe the last 1/4 trickling in over the year. I don't think anyone even really saw it. :smith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Man...speaking of Ideas I just realized mine only has 10 days left and has less than 200 votes. Wasn't expecting to get 10K but I thought it would do way better than that. Got almost every vote on the first day too with maybe the last 1/4 trickling in over the year. I don't think anyone even really saw it. :smith:

That's one of the problems with Ideas. You basically require a massive social media push to get traction. There's so much garbage on the site, you can't really just browse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't help that the signal to noise ratio is ridiculous so no one just browses it looking for cool stuff.

I appreciate 8 year old kids being inspired to be creative and coming up with their dream build and all, but just because you can slap a couple bricks together in LDD and post a screenshot does not loving mean you gotta put it on the internet.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm old and a huge fan of the Short Circuit movies so I'd be very happy to get Johnny Five, especially if they throw in a Fisher Stevens minifig. I'm not counting on it though.

In fact I'll just order a Wall-e. It's close enough.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My fiancee picked up the whole set of Disney minifigs from her work yesterday (Some of her co-workers actually feel each one and mark down what's in it on a sticky note so people can find the ones they want easier) and she wants to get a display box for them. I know it's been brought up in the past, but I can't find what people recommended for display cases, and the ones she found online only hold a normal set of minifigs. She wants to hang it on the wall as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Randalor posted:

My fiancee picked up the whole set of Disney minifigs from her work yesterday (Some of her co-workers actually feel each one and mark down what's in it on a sticky note so people can find the ones they want easier) and she wants to get a display box for them. I know it's been brought up in the past, but I can't find what people recommended for display cases, and the ones she found online only hold a normal set of minifigs. She wants to hang it on the wall as well.

A bunch of us in here use these

http://www.containerstore.com/s/collections/display/cubes-cases/multi-level-display-box/123d?productId=10022884

With the included stands you can easily fit a whole series, or if you build custom stands you can fit 2 series inside.

If you're wanting to hang it on the wall though you might look into something like this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150775212/display-case-for-lego-minifigurelego

Or just buying a shadow box of some sort and making your own.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

If you want to do a bit of DIY, the Ribba frames from Ikea and a bit of work are great: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/00078032/
Available in white and black.

You just replace the background with a colour of your choice and either build an intricate frame from Lego or glue/screw 2x2 squares or 2x2 reverse triangles onto the back panel to put the figures on.
This is actually a very popular display method, if you google Lego + Ribba and you will find lots of instructions/variations.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

Randalor posted:

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TOY9ZP4 is pretty nice, whole range of them here http://www.minifiguresdisplay.com/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is my minifig display system:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Those are all Ribba frames with glued on 2x2s and a fancy printed out background.
The small frames cost 4.99 at IKEA, the big ones 12,99, so with a bot of DIY skills, a good printer and an evening or two depending on frame size, you can save a lot of money to spend it on Lego.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I stopped by the Target in town yesterday (the only place that has the CMF series) and they had a grand total of 2 Disney Minifigs out on display. I asked if there were any more out back and was told that these were the only two they had - they didn't receive a box of them, just two single bags. Am I wrong in thinking that's not right? I would think they would ship at least one full box to the store, and in my area I doubt a full box would have been sold in a day.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That can't be right.

Also, I got my second god drat Donald Duck. I should stop bothering at Target because there are just a few out, they're obviously getting picked over by the jorts crowd.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

I've been robbed!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Look at you fancy bourgeoisie motherfuckers, putting minifigures in SEPARATE containers from the other Lego.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Griever posted:

Felt inspired by the Camaro a few pages back and decided to Mad Max-ify the McLaren P1. Not quite done with it, needs more spikes.

Love this, dude! :)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

xzzy posted:

I have one of each CMF that I have on a bookshelf in my work office but yeah all my dupes are in a ziplock in a closet.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

cyberia posted:

I want the fish shop to win so I can put it between my Haunted Mansion and Creator Lighthouse for the perfect spooky seaside village diorama.

LEGO Innsmouth TM.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just picked up that box of my old Lego my mum found in the basement the other day.
The cardboard box contained several boxes with Lego pieces:

I already found some cool stuff, including what seems to be 1 if not 2 of 1382: Scary Laboratory and some other Lego Studios stuff, i need to check that.
Here are some pics of the oldest complete sets I found in there:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice!