Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

That note is referring to the twinkling dragon stone you can get, ya dummy.

Are those any good btw? I skipped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty much useless, using both of them requires having no armor equipped and has defensive stats equivalent of not wearing any armor, in return for two really slow offensive abilities that seem to do no damage anyways.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'd be happy to host, tho I'm total poo poo at PvP (but fiteclobber makes you better, right? :v: ). Would need to roll a new character but idgaf about that. And yes, PS4 can stream and record though recording only works in 15 minute chunks.

The host doesn't actually fight until the club is over and they duke it out with the last surviving phantom. And since phantoms get estus for other dead phantoms you don't have to worry about speccing for hosting either, other than the appropriate soul and upgrade level.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

JetsGuy posted:

Well, ideally, it would be hosted by someone who hasn't even defeated the Vordt yet (if we choose Lothric High Wall anyway) so a NG+ host would I guess be ideal if he wants to fight. We'd probably have a much higher level cap than 60-70 though.
I still haven't beaten the game (I keep loving off to do dumb poo poo) but I'm fairly close and was aiming to be SL100 at the end, currently 91. If that tickles people's fancy could give a shoutout when I'm done and do it pre-Vordt. SL100 would give a range of 80-120.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Genocyber posted:

That note is referring to the twinkling dragon stone you can get, ya dummy.

I was told you can get it even if you ring the bell. I mean mine didn't stop existing once I rang the bell. And the world goes back to normal once you're done so at least you can pick it up then. And I wouldn't be surprised if you can run through the fog and get the stone even while the world is foggy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In a bit I'm going to see what soul level we can get to before Vordt. I have a sneaking suspicion that you can go to or over 60 if you:

Get the silver serpent ring
glitch kill the dancer
eat the gundyr and dancer souls
eat all the souls you've collected thus far
maybe gently caress around in lothric right after the dancer for a bit

e: only the host has to worry about this if I'm right, since anyone too high will be scaled down

e2: also I know you can get a +9 weapon before vordt, so weapon reinforcement won't matter too much either

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

RBA Starblade posted:

Not at all. The special attacks take forever to start up and you'll never get them off successfully because you don't have any poise, especially because you don't have any armor on at all.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was phantoming and owning this red guy with my greatbow, he ran out of estus and has 1 pixel health and starts this last ditch effort to kill my host, and I'm following him in my dragon costume thinking "man this is gonna be an awesome finisher" and I activate my torso stone, and during the 10-second startup animation the guy turns around, hits me twice, and I die.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

More evidence this game is basically a DS1 clone: you can change spell animations again and it'll show online. DS2 didn't let you. I have my old one-handed Emit Force back.

Sadly, you cannot use Soul Stream with anything but its original animation. It just doesn't work for some inexplicable reason. So nothing crazy like copying Galick Gun.

On a fashion note, dear Lord the Force spells look incredibly wimpy this game. Not as bad as DS2, though.

I wonder if I can remake my DS1 psychic wave?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 3, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Krinkle posted:

I was told you can get it even if you ring the bell. I mean mine didn't stop existing once I rang the bell. And the world goes back to normal once you're done so at least you can pick it up then. And I wouldn't be surprised if you can run through the fog and get the stone even while the world is foggy.

you can. it took me enough tries to beat NK that I got bored and explored the rest of the area after the belfry bonfire, and the path that goes all the way back to the end of the cliff where you pose again to get the twinkling torso still gives you the torso even if it's raining. those developer messages are 100% horse poo poo.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vE9MHjHO90

Hm yes I would help with this too but you know :effort:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

homeless poster posted:

you can. it took me enough tries to beat NK that I got bored and explored the rest of the area after the belfry bonfire, and the path that goes all the way back to the end of the cliff where you pose again to get the twinkling torso still gives you the torso even if it's raining. those developer messages are 100% horse poo poo.

Really makes me think there was supposed to be a dragon covenant with the stones as rewards, and that altar at the end as the join/turn-in point but they ran out of time and scrapped it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can you drop-trade reinforced (not infused) weapons? that's the only way high wall fight club is going to work unless someone else wants to beat the game at soul level 60 and then NG+ or farm titanite chunks for hours to get a +6 weapon before vordt

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Babe Magnet posted:

Can you drop-trade reinforced (not infused) weapons? that's the only way high wall fight club is going to work unless someone else wants to beat the game at soul level 60 and then NG+ or farm titanite chunks for hours to get a +6 weapon before vordt

Only if they're lower than the highest reinforcement the receiving player has done (I think), so for your purposes, no.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hyper armour seriously needs some kind of visual indicator. Its pretty infuriating that the only way to learn which attacks have hyper armour is through pure trial and error.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress that then, high wall fight club is out unless someone actually does want to farm and host it.

Undead Settlement and on is still viable though, due to the amount of shards you can pick up there not requiring much farming for a +6 weapon

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Internet Kraken posted:

Hyper armour seriously needs some kind of visual indicator. Its pretty infuriating that the only way to learn which attacks have hyper armour is through pure trial and error.

Is it super heavy? Does it feel like you're executing a mighty blow? Hyper armor.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Melanion posted:

I'm curious what the avid PvPers think about this hypothetically being changed. If you had to be embered to invade (with corresponding health boost) and the winner got an ember item (whether host or invader) would that be a boon to PvP?

This is how it should be and you should drop your bloodstain where you left it in the host world (like it is) and a darkmoon should be queued up to invade as soon as you return to your world. And then you should get mobbed by other invaders for having a phantom in your world.

It wouldn't even really affect fight clubbers since their bloodstain is probably 2 feet from the bonfire.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Anyone having problems playing an early caster just make a raw astora straight sword and it will carry you through half the game. It's basically a drake sword that's easier to get and takes you to probably at least pontiff.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

pretty much the visual indicator is that the weapon is very, comically, anime-style large. if you are using a weapon that is not as large or larger, don't try and attack into their weapon or trade blows! you won't win the trade. poke & run. things like estoc R1 work okay against someone with a giant gently caress-off axe if you poke them from the side and you get a hit confirm and they can't pivot to face you, but don't run right at them and expect to poke into their giant axe chop and expect to keep poking them

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the raw rear end technique is a powerful one indeed

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is PSN down for everyone right now? I logged off to try farming ears (80 kills 0 ears at 351 magic find) and when I tried to log back in it wouldn't take my password, the email it promised never came, and I can't login to us.playstation.com . Is anyone on PSN right now?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress that then, high wall fight club is out unless someone actually does want to farm and host it.

Undead Settlement and on is still viable though, due to the amount of shards you can pick up there not requiring much farming for a +6 weapon

I suggest the bridge above the wolf cove where the demon is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's a good spot, someone else suggested it earlier too. 60 should be out of most invasion ranges and it should be trivial to have a +6 weapon by then.

And if you're over that, once you hit undead settlement you can basically just sprint right there.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Filthy Hans posted:

Is PSN down for everyone right now? I logged off to try farming ears (80 kills 0 ears at 351 magic find) and when I tried to log back in it wouldn't take my password, the email it promised never came, and I can't login to us.playstation.com . Is anyone on PSN right now?
Website says it's up, but I don't know how real-time the updates are.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless poster posted:

pretty much the visual indicator is that the weapon is very, comically, anime-style large. if you are using a weapon that is not as large or larger, don't try and attack into their weapon or trade blows! you won't win the trade. poke & run. things like estoc R1 work okay against someone with a giant gently caress-off axe if you poke them from the side and you get a hit confirm and they can't pivot to face you, but don't run right at them and expect to poke into their giant axe chop and expect to keep poking them

Except that's not always the case. Hyper armour seems to start and end at varying times during different attacks with different weapons. Its not a clear cut "you swing something large, it always gives you hyper armour". Examples;

-Invadee 1; guy using a greatsword. Can't land hits on him without also getting hit because despite my hit landing first, it doesn't break his poise and his goes off anyways.
-Invadee 2; guy using a large club. Easily land hits on him because his giant windup doesn't grant him any hyper armour and he gets stunned.

Both of them are using huge weapons with big swings, but one is way more vulnerable than the other for no apparent reason.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll host a fight Club for ps4. I got a character that's around level 60 with a boss weapon at +3. We can use the irc chat to set up or something.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Went into another world, the host just stood there not moving at all like he was frozen. Took damage, but didn't move ....then his buddy one shot me from behind. Was that a lot?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that happens from time to time, it's a bug with their connection. Sometimes they'll snap out of it, sometimes they won't.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems cool for gimmicky invading that makes new players poo poo their pants because of how cool the attacks look, but functionally they seem super slow and useless. You'd also have to do a low level run to Archdragon.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I'm confused by Hollow infusion ><

me after reading wiki poo poo posted:

Hollow scales with luck. This weakens or removes STR/DEX scaling, just as elemental infusion would do for, say, fire, dark, magic, and lightning. Luck, and only luck, affects your poison and bleed capabilities. It also of course affects your item find rate, but that doesn't matter for this question. Apart from Anri's Straight Sword, no other weapon scales with luck unless infused with hollow. If the player is hollowed to 15 or more, weapons and shields infused with luck add to the player's luck score. a +10 weapon or shield will buff the luck stat +5, and they stack if two hollow infused items are equipped, so a max of +10 may be achieved if the player is hollowed by 15 or more. Unlike "elemental" infusion, but like "physical" infusion (raw, heavy, sharp, refined), hollow-infused weapons can be buffed with resins and spells. So, going for a luck build is pretty much like going for a STR or DEX build except that you have two stats to raise to minimum weapon usage requirements (STR and DEX) instead of just STR or DEX. So, there are potentially three benefits to hollow infusion on a luck build: scaling damage with luck; increased bleed and poison buildup (or is it bleed/poison damage??).

I think I understand that correctly - please let me know if I'm wrong. With that in mind, and for those that have done Luck builds:

1. Is poison worth a poo poo at all? At 7 (base) luck, you can shoot dozens of arrows into things and all you are doing is wasting money on arrows that never build up enough to proc poison. If it does proc, is it decent, or is it pretty much like running in the swamp where it's never going to actually kill anything?

2. There are not many weapons with innate bleed. I haven't tried using a weapon infused with bleed because I just haven't done a luck build - I also haven't tried that infusion on multislash weapons like twinblades & such. Is there any point to infusing a weapon with bleed, on a luck build, or is it better just to stick with the innate bleed weapons and infuse them with hollow?

3. Is the Luck damage scaling comparable to STR or DEX scaling (say, if you were at 40 luck, using two hollow +10 weapons, you would be running buffed to 50 luck - is this going to bring benefits comparable to 50 STR or DEX)?

4. Oh...one last thing...sorry. I just don't post too much in the thread and I want to get all of my questions out of the way. Do you lose the coiled sword fragment and/or the red eye orb when going to NG+? It's no big deal to get the orb again, but trading in that coiled sword fragment is mighty tempting, as I'm upgrading a poo poo-ton of weapons to +9 or +4 special (there are a lot to try out) before I go to NG+ with this character, and having that one last slab would mean one more max upgrade that I could really use.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You keep the Orb, not sure about the fragment since I traded it. You can buy as many homeward bones each NG cycle as you want but titanite slabs are finite.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
^^^ thanks - that trade is just too good to pass up, I think.

Melanion posted:

I'm curious what the avid PvPers think about this hypothetically being changed. If you had to be embered to invade (with corresponding health boost) and the winner got an ember item (whether host or invader) would that be a boon to PvP?

well, I have no more inventory space for embers, so I can't really see this being a bad thing. IF you could combine it with the ability to be invaded while embered in an area where you had already defeated the boss, that would be great, actually. Invading and dealing with invasions is a lot more interesting than just hanging around the back of the Pontiff's Plaza waiting to fight someone 1v1 over and over again.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah that happens from time to time, it's a bug with their connection. Sometimes they'll snap out of it, sometimes they won't.

You're right, just got on with my original password

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SubponticatePoster posted:

I still haven't beaten the game (I keep loving off to do dumb poo poo) but I'm fairly close and was aiming to be SL100 at the end, currently 91. If that tickles people's fancy could give a shoutout when I'm done and do it pre-Vordt. SL100 would give a range of 80-120.

I have a NG+ knight at the high wall pre-Vordt and pre-dancer and I think she's at ~110?

I could host (PS4), but probably not tonight, because I'm a big baby and wanna play my sorcerer unless there's a huge demand to have PS4 fight club there.

Babe Magnet posted:

In a bit I'm going to see what soul level we can get to before Vordt. I have a sneaking suspicion that you can go to or over 60 if you:

Get the silver serpent ring
glitch kill the dancer
eat the gundyr and dancer souls
eat all the souls you've collected thus far
maybe gently caress around in lothric right after the dancer for a bit

e: only the host has to worry about this if I'm right, since anyone too high will be scaled down

e2: also I know you can get a +9 weapon before vordt, so weapon reinforcement won't matter too much either

1) I know it doesn't matter too much because you decided gently caress the High Wall, but I can tell you with the glitch kill and the ring, I was only like ~34 on my sorcerer after the Dancer. It may even have been 34 after Dancer AND Vordt. I didn't eat their souls, but you're already in ~4K per level range I htink. You really can't get to level 60 "easy" even with the dancer glitch.

2) How do you get glitch all the pretty upgrade (non-slab) items early?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'm confused by Hollow infusion ><

1. Is poison worth a poo poo at all? At 7 (base) luck, you can shoot dozens of arrows into things and all you are doing is wasting money on arrows that never build up enough to proc poison. If it does proc, is it decent, or is it pretty much like running in the swamp where it's never going to actually kill anything?

2. There are not many weapons with innate bleed. I haven't tried using a weapon infused with bleed because I just haven't done a luck build - I also haven't tried that infusion on multislash weapons like twinblades & such. Is there any point to infusing a weapon with bleed, on a luck build, or is it better just to stick with the innate bleed weapons and infuse them with hollow?

3. Is the Luck damage scaling comparable to STR or DEX scaling (say, if you were at 40 luck, using two hollow +10 weapons, you would be running buffed to 50 luck - is this going to bring benefits comparable to 50 STR or DEX)?
Poison is terrible.

I think that bleed infused weapons are viable but hollow infused natural bleed weapons are basically better so you might as well use those.

The luck scaling is pretty weak but the stat scaling is only very slightly reduced; the luck scaling is in no way equal to str/dex scaling, IIRC I was getting 1 or 2 points more damage for every point of luck up to 40. You get a small base damage reduction which carries through to the str/dex scaling. Some (maybe all?) weapons actually gain str/dex scaling when hollow infused, though only a little. You need to increase str and/or dex to get decent damage; the luck is just a bit of extra damage on top, and when you consider base stats and the +10 luck from having 2 hollow infused weapons equipped it's still pretty good value.

Carthus Rouge is a gigantic damage buff so use it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Anri's sword + carthus rouge just shits out damage. I don't get nearly as much damage with a hollow weapon + carthus rougue. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. The bleed numbers appear to be gibberish also. Like an estoc is 100 bleed damage but I've literally never gotten bleed to proc making it hollow and rubbing it with carthus but a hollow washingpole bleeds people out every other swing at only 33. I don't get it.

Have you ever been to the poison swamp in farron's keep? Did poison bother you, even a little, ever? Why would it bother anyone else. Not even toxic is scary. I wouldn't do a poison build ever. Bleed is where it's at.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Anri's sword + carthus rouge just shits out damage. I don't get nearly as much damage with a hollow weapon + carthus rougue. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. The bleed numbers appear to be gibberish also. Like an estoc is 100 bleed damage but I've literally never gotten bleed to proc making it hollow and rubbing it with carthus but a hollow washingpole bleeds people out every other swing at only 33. I don't get it.

Have you ever been to the poison swamp in farron's keep? Did poison bother you, even a little, ever? Why would it bother anyone else. Not even toxic is scary. I wouldn't do a poison build ever. Bleed is where it's at.

estoc doesn't have any bleed. you're looking at critical dude.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

1) I know it doesn't matter too much because you decided gently caress the High Wall, but I can tell you with the glitch kill and the ring, I was only like ~34 on my sorcerer after the Dancer. It may even have been 34 after Dancer AND Vordt. I didn't eat their souls, but you're already in ~4K per level range I htink. You really can't get to level 60 "easy" even with the dancer glitch.

2) How do you get glitch all the pretty upgrade (non-slab) items early?

1) Oh dang, well that sucks.

2) Grind lothric knights at high wall for small shards, grind lothric knights at lothric castle for large shards, loot chunks from the ground/enemies around lothric castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

edit: nm