Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mainline neptunia games after the first three are complete inoffensive fluff that are good if you like the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

voltcatfish posted:

The only problem I have with Toukiden is that it seems like it might be too easy?

Like everything I've heard about the rifle weapon, which sounds awesome, but are you ever in any danger when using it?

It's just like in Monster Hunter, oni will chase you from the other end of the arena if you try to plink at them from a distance. They'll happily ditch the melee dudes surrounding them to come gently caress you up.

As a whole the game is easier than MH, mainly because if you faint you can be revived by teammates if they get to you within a certain time, otherwise you get kicked out to the starting area and lose one of your three 'retreats'. After each revive you get less of a grace period before getting booted out, so if you get knocked out 3-4 times it's pretty certain you'll need to retreat. It works well for the game though since the monster attacks are pretty deadly and the game's faster-paced than MH, so having a revival system feels a bit more appropriate.

That being said there's plenty of ways to make things tougher even in the early game -- do solo runs, or bring AI but just don't bring Nagi (she's a healer and is good at it, so it's much harder to die if she's around). Once you get to the G-Rank equivalent the monsters hit on a par with G-Rank in MH4U, in that even with good armour I faint in 1-2 hits usually.

lets hang out posted:

It's not that much of a mystery, a real open world is way more demanding than anything in the first game.

Why is that, though? It's not like the whole world's geometry is being rendered each frame, and surely they can stream assets from the memory card as you're running around the world -- those cards are a hell of a lot faster than the PS4's HDD, I'm sure. It's not like a GTA open world, either, where you've got fuckloads of NPCs with complex AI wandering around or anything like that.

I mean, I could see if the detail was a bit worse, or something, to compensate for the extra legwork required to get the assets streaming into the open world. But that video is horrendous. Why they even showed it on-stream at all is another question, apparently the Japanese people watching were all saying 'yeah, cancelling my preorder, what the gently caress is this'.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I got a grand kingdom beta code for ps4. I dunno what it is except anime

Didn't you have to sign up for that?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol

It's a side view RPG with 3 lanes in battle, and positioning/timing gimmicks for hitting things

Looks pretty dope, I haven't downloaded the beta demo thing yet though

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mithaldu posted:

Maybe he simply has very narrow tastes in women?
What's this about Green Heart?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

lets hang out posted:

It's not that much of a mystery, a real open world is way more demanding than anything in the first game.
Soul Reaver being a game that worked on the PSX with no load times would disagree.

Yes, it puts certain demands on the dev side and the level design, but if the PSX can do seamless world, then the Vita can do it as well. The main problem is that people dev for one system and then "port" it by scaling things down and crossing their thumbs, instead of actually making an effort to adapt it to the hardware and making the necessary concessions.

Besides: That video had completely consistent arse fps, which indicates it had little to do with the "open world" aspect and everything to do with them asking the graphics hardware of the vita to do more than it can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9HtrZc9Gk&t=3754s

RanKizama posted:

What's this about Green Heart?
So there is a reason for you to nep! :newlol:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 3, 2016

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mithaldu posted:

Oh, I absolutely love the designs and Tsunako's art. I'll admit to that all day long.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demo didn't run much better on the ps4, at least in town

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got a Grand Kingdom beta invite, I was checking the wrong e-mail address :sweatdrop:
Won't get to play it til tomorrow anyway.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF is great for the economical gamer. I bought 4.1 and 2 back when they came out and I've barely touched 2 yet and am only just now getting up to the 80% mark in 4.1

If you have EDF friends that are farther than you, you can shoot through a lot of it quickly though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I imported Gundam Breaker 3, and it's pretty alright so far. The framerate isn't great but the drops aren't significant. It seems like there's a little too much trash in the missions (could trim 5-10 minutes off all the ones I've played so far) but that could be a manner of taste. There's sort of a weird plot wherein a girl recruits you to her gunpla team but inbetween missions you're in a virtual reality dream realm that's completely disconnected from that, which is not BAD but feels like a missed opportunity. I might've been spoiled by toukiden, but so far the in-game allies are dumb as poo poo

Obviously the gundam building is pretty cool, it's looking like the rank of the item matters more than the actual physical item itself, which kinda doesn't make sense but is also good because if you like Zaku parts you can use them without getting gimped because your opponent is using zeta gundam parts etc.

It sounds like I have mostly negatives but the overall "beating the poo poo out of someones snowflake gundam until parts fly everywhere and then continuing to beat the poo poo out of the torso stump" is real entertaining

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mithaldu posted:

Soul Reaver being a game that worked on the PSX with no load times would disagree.

Soul Reaver is not an open world game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Living Doll, Dead Person :stonk:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Soul Reaver was more of a metroidvania than anything. You had to backtrack with new powers to reach new areas, glyph powers and health power ups. Oh and to find new block puzzles, can't forget that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Soul Reaver is not an open world game.
Serious question, what do you consider an open world game, particularly in the context of being stressful on hardware?

As far as i am concerned it is games that have no loading screens since they manage to stream the gameworld in the background. Yes, SR does it on a smaller scale than e.g. GTA5, but it's still the same concept, and Toukiden fits into that scale pretty well.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mithaldu posted:

Serious question, what do you consider an open world game, particularly in the context of being stressful on hardware?

As far as i am concerned it is games that have no loading screens since they manage to stream the gameworld in the background. Yes, SR does it on a smaller scale than e.g. GTA5, but it's still the same concept, and Toukiden fits into that scale pretty well.

By that metric, isn't every Zelda game open world, making the new "open-world Zelda U" thing kinda meaningless?

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Mithaldu posted:

120% Uni. No other reason needed.
Uni-x-Nepgear is a definite bonus, but...
Uni...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Uni means Life.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly my favorite part of the neptunia games is still just the fact that falcom is a famous travelling musician carrying a guitar case with stickers for the logos of every game falcom has ever released

also the fact that both designs for falcom are cute and voiced by estelle bright

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mithaldu posted:

"You see that mountain in the distance? You can go there."

That's how the concept was first presented. You can go anywhere in the map, no obstacles, no background scenery, as few loading screens as possible to maintain the illusion, and that means rendering ridiculous amounts of stuff especially if some of it is interactable.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Saoshyant posted:

That's how the concept was first presented. You can go anywhere in the map, no obstacles, no background scenery, as few loading screens as possible to maintain the illusion, and that means rendering ridiculous amounts of stuff especially if some of it is interactable.

But that's my point, this is Toukiden where NPCs are thin on the ground, and you fight no more than two large monsters at a time, and the scenery is generally pretty barren. You don't fly or drive, so there's plenty of time to stream assets and the engine doesn't need to worry about rendering huge vistas from your helicopter window or whatever. So all that remains is a larger explorable area, which shouldn't present much more of a challenge to any engine worth its salt -- the geometry needn't be rendered anywhere outside of the player's current view anyway, and the only entities that need to be tracked in any great detail outside of that view are the exact same entities you track in Toukiden Kiwami (big monsters, small monsters, up to 4 players). This isn't GTA, there's no 'ridiculous amount of stuff' to render.

So again I really don't get why the game runs like total crap -- the only explanation as far as I can see is, like Mithaldu said, that the game's being backported to Vita in an incredibly lazy fashion. Really the game should've been developed for Vita first, then uprezzed on PS4 as before -- particularly since the game sold the majority of its copies on Vita anyway. I'm really worried the series could be in big trouble in Japan if the Vita version is bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're over simplifying things. Just the possibility that you could run in any direction and need to have the assets ready to go into memory puts a lot more demand on the system than the first game, which just loads a small section all at once and then the next small one when you move between them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

By that metric, isn't every Zelda game open world, making the new "open-world Zelda U" thing kinda meaningless?
I thought the N64 zelda, as well as windwaker were open world, yeah.

Saoshyant posted:

See, the whole thing is kind of murky. The stuff you describe was already possible on the Atari ST. Have a look at this and put it on 2x speed. (And yes, in that video he only uses taxis, but you can also fly around the solar system freeform in Mercenary. Look up other videos to see that.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaPt1AK0nBA

There's nothing inherent to "open world" that restricts it particularly if you play your cards right. Plus, as thorsilver points out rightly, there's nothing even about Toukiden that requires GTA amounts of fidelity, and further, the demo runs like poo poo even in that little castle/village thing. It's either still unoptimized or a bad port.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 4, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ayukawa posted:

120% Uni. No other reason needed.
Uni-x-Nepgear is a definite bonus, but...
Uni...

Takoluka posted:

Uni means Life.
:yeah:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Sakurazuka posted:

You're over simplifying things. Just the possibility that you could run in any direction and need to have the assets ready to go into memory puts a lot more demand on the system than the first game, which just loads a small section all at once and then the next small one when you move between them.

Except that this is only relevant at all when traversing the world between hunts, because from what I saw of the PS4 demo as soon as a fight starts a barrier pops up to prevent you going too far afield anyway.

And, to say it a third time, why does the ability to run any direction in a relatively barren environment cause 'a lot more demand'? A little more demand, sure. But a lot? You'd only need to stream in significant assets when traversing the world to the point where you reach an environment with different textures, or need to load in a new monster, and getting those textures ready to go in time shouldn't cause the entire game to run at 15 FPS forever. Some hitching when you approach an area boundary, or when a monster loads, that's one thing -- running at half speed the whole time is another.

The PSP was capable of running GTA games and streaming content off the slow-as-dirt UMD, streaming scenery off the far faster Vita memory should be easy in comparison.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

thorsilver posted:

as soon as a fight starts a barrier pops up to prevent you going too far afield anyway.
Oh god, for an open world game on one of the strongest consoles out now, this is pretty funny. Maybe they just took on more than they could chew.

thorsilver posted:

The PSP was capable of running GTA games and streaming content off the slow-as-dirt UMD, streaming scenery off the far faster Vita memory should be easy in comparison.
Oh poo poo, yeah, this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKIlJ7GgfY&t=290s

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Do the newer Neptunia games have a Vita CPU candidate, or is the PS3-PSP pair where the Lastation evolution stopped?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Szurumbur posted:

Do the newer Neptunia games have a Vita CPU candidate, or is the PS3-PSP pair where the Lastation evolution stopped?

Uni is the Vita candidate as well. She actually mentions it in Producing Perfection, I believe.

She and Nepgear also have a move together called Stark Vita in Nep VII.

e:
The NEXT forms introduced in V2 bring everyone up to the current gen of PS4/XB1/WiiU.

vvvv Yeah, it was RB1, not PP that I'm thinking of. Thanks.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
In the credits of RB1 she makes a joke akin to "Don't drop the console since you're holding me right now".
They kept this line for the Steam port though which makes things awkward.

Also she kinda sorta has a death scene in VII except not really which might as well be what's happening with the Vita.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
my favourite neps at this point are probably vert and c-sha because i enjoy nothing more than pain and under-representation

with that said, please treasure every nep sincerely

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

In the credits of RB1 she makes a joke akin to "Don't drop the console since you're holding me right now".
They kept this line for the Steam port though which makes things awkward.

Also she kinda sorta has a death scene in VII except not really which might as well be what's happening with the Vita.

Right, I remember now. Vita has backwards compatibility, so it does make sense, I suppose.

Takoluka posted:

Uni is the Vita candidate as well. She actually mentions it in Producing Perfection, I believe.

She and Nepgear also have a move together called Stark Vita in Nep VII.

e:
The NEXT forms introduced in V2 bring everyone up to the current gen of PS4/XB1/WiiU.

vvvv Yeah, it was RB1, not PP that I'm thinking of. Thanks.

I'm getting VII as soon as it gets on a sale, so far I'm only amassing the free DLC :v:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Mithaldu posted:

Oh god, for an open world game on one of the strongest consoles out now, this is pretty funny. Maybe they just took on more than they could chew.

Yeah it's a bit weird, it means the open world is only really a place to wander through between boss fights and doesn't change the dynamics of the game all that much. I still think it's a really good idea though, and hopefully will spark Monster Hunter and other hunting games to experiment with open-world stuff more in the future.

quote:

Oh poo poo, yeah, this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKIlJ7GgfY&t=290s

The GTA Stories games were pretty mind-blowing on PSP at the time. It was possible to outrun the content streaming every once in awhile -- I remember sometimes in Vice City Stories if you took a fast bike or a Cheetah or something and drove at max speed you'd sometimes end up with some weird poo poo happening, my personal favourite being when a bridge would suddenly load in front of you and for a few seconds you'd see cars driving upside down on the bottom side of it :v: It was really rare though and I never saw any of that screw up the missions or anything.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Szurumbur posted:

I'm getting VII as soon as it gets on a sale, so far I'm only amassing the free DLC :v:

Don't know what region you are, but VII was on sale on NA PSN all last week as part of the PlayStation Plus deals.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Don't know what region you are, but VII was on sale on NA PSN all last week as part of the PlayStation Plus deals.

I try to check the deals fairly regularly, but must've missed it - and it's on my wishlist, too, I thought the idea is that one gets an e-mail in case of those items being discounted. Oh well, there's always next time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Szurumbur posted:

I try to check the deals fairly regularly, but must've missed it - and it's on my wishlist, too, I thought the idea is that one gets an e-mail in case of those items being discounted. Oh well, there's always next time.

Yeah, it was down to about $42 or something, which is a great price for it, I think. I bought the LE from IFI and think it was well worth it for the game and the extras.

I'll post about it next time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

thorsilver posted:

The GTA Stories games were pretty mind-blowing on PSP at the time. It was possible to outrun the content streaming every once in awhile -- I remember sometimes in Vice City Stories if you took a fast bike or a Cheetah or something and drove at max speed you'd sometimes end up with some weird poo poo happening, my personal favourite being when a bridge would suddenly load in front of you and for a few seconds you'd see cars driving upside down on the bottom side of it :v: It was really rare though and I never saw any of that screw up the missions or anything.

Vice City Stories in particular was pretty mind blowing since although it had a smaller map than San Andreas, it managed to include a lot of mechanics from San Andreas and then a couple more of their own which not even GTA IV or V included. It also had a pretty great soundtrack and I'm kind of amazed the PSP could run the drat thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni is such a nice looking game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume you're talking about tits because otherwise those are terribly ugly backgrounds and very plain character models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Chemical Plant Zone has more life in it than wherever this is, and it has years of drowning animals behind it.