Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Whats the general opinion on Wasd keyboards?

I am currently using a model m that I bold-modded and its working fine (except 1 key that started getting stuck and I have yet to fix :effort:). I was thinking of ordering a wasd keyboard, but with shipping and customs I am looking at twice the price tag, so is it worth it?

e:

temp setup, this was just after I moved.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

El Laucha posted:

Whats the general opinion on Wasd keyboards?

I am currently using a model m that I bold-modded and its working fine (except 1 key that started getting stuck and I have yet to fix :effort:). I was thinking of ordering a wasd keyboard, but with shipping and customs I am looking at twice the price tag, so is it worth it?

e:

temp setup, this was just after I moved.

Super solid boards but at the end of the day they're just a well-built board with Cherry switches. IMO their best value is in the fact that you can buy them with no keys then get yourself some sweet-rear end massdrop PBTs without paying for stuff you're going to throw out.

If you fall into the small group of users who wants a keyboard that can switch (in hardware) between qwerty/dvorak/etc then it may well be the best option out there.

I still thing the num/caps/scroll lights on the WASD v2 are very poorly positioned and I'm thinking about modding mine to move them.

Alternately, if you really like the model M, you can check out some of unicomp's offerings. They have what is basically a model M but with a smaller footprint, windows key, USB, and black/gray colors. PBT keys and buckling springs out of the box and they're way cheaper than WASD

e: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40P4A

burning swine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 3, 2016

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

FopeDush posted:

Super solid boards but at the end of the day they're just a well-built board with Cherry switches. IMO their best value is in the fact that you can buy them with no keys then get yourself some sweet-rear end massdrop PBTs without paying for stuff you're going to throw out.

If you fall into the small group of users who wants a keyboard that can switch (in hardware) between qwerty/dvorak/etc then it may well be the best option out there.

I still thing the num/caps/scroll lights on the WASD v2 are very poorly positioned and I'm thinking about modding mine to move them.

Alternately, if you really like the model M, you can check out some of unicomp's offerings. They have what is basically a model M but with a smaller footprint and black/gray colors. PBT keys and buckling springs out of the box and they're way cheaper than WASD

e: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40P4A

ive honestly been thinking about getting a unicomp for home use

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

ive honestly been thinking about getting a unicomp for home use

a pro choice

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've honestly been thinking about getting a Soarer's Converter to adapt my Model F for home use.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like my CODE keyboard with clears and PBT caps. I can't believe mother fuckers are still coming in this thread asking the same god drat questions time after time. Get a CODE with clears and get PBT caps. or a unicomp if that's your style. mate don't fiddle ya diddle

i'm quite partial to knurling

the only thing I don't really "like" about this CODE eyboard is that it's too traditional. I like how DAS has been pushing the envelope with volume and media keys etc but they need to go further and DAS is a bit ug with the shiny base. I sold mine. it was only OK whereas I love my code and wasd. but a perfectly knurled knob or two up the top? or a whole row of them? connect them to midi>>>???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I like my CODE keyboard with clears and PBT caps. I can't believe mother fuckers are still coming in this thread asking the same god drat questions time after time. Get a CODE with clears and get PBT caps. or a unicomp if that's your style. mate don't fiddle ya diddle

i'm quite partial to knurling

the only thing I don't really "like" about this CODE eyboard is that it's too traditional. I like how DAS has been pushing the envelope with volume and media keys etc but they need to go further and DAS is a bit ug with the shiny base. I sold mine. it was only OK whereas I love my code and wasd. but a perfectly knurled knob or two up the top? or a whole row of them? connect them to midi>>>???

very nice ideas

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

echinopsis posted:

the code has media/volume keys tho? i mean theyre not knobs but im not really expecting some sick knobs on my keyboard

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i like my code kb with clears

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

the code has media/volume keys tho? i mean theyre not knobs but im not really expecting some sick knobs on my keyboard

Perhaps you should.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the WASD (not CODE) w/ clears i got (shout out to my mate echi for the reccy) is very good. the PBT keys have a nice texture that pleasures my fingertips. that said, unless you have disposable income, it's just another keybaros. highly recommended though, it is extremely classy

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

I want to touch those knobs

you wanna spin that Gyro-Touch Tuning. it's so great.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a knob.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tatsujin posted:

mate you should be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

the WASD (not CODE) w/ clears i got (shout out to my mate echi for the reccy) is very good. the PBT keys have a nice texture that pleasures my fingertips. that said, unless you have disposable income, it's just another keybaros. highly recommended though, it is extremely classy

triple sulk posted:

i like my code kb with clears

I feel like we need some kind of sub-gang for those with clear switches

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

clears are pretty good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i want 2 make and sell cast iron kb cases so they don't slide around

burning swine
May 26, 2004

code w/ greens superiority

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Should I learn dvorak or colemak? I did an hour of dvorak practice last night but then I thought hm...colemak is actually made for a computer instead of a 1800s typewriter. On the otherhand, there is more support for dvorak as its more common.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

learn qwerty

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bloody posted:

learn qwerty

I already learned it. I'm loving sick nasty at it.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

it's cool but then your life becomes miserable the second you sit down at any computer other than your own

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FopeDush posted:

your life becomes miserable the second you sit down at any computer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't have any friends and I like being miserable so I'm going to learn dvorak.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why not try Workman instead

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

atomicthumbs posted:

why not try Workman instead

3 reasons; I have a kinesis, which makes the top row more accessible, I like at least the idea of alternating hands for vowels/consonants, and I believe I'll find wider support across platforms.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also, so far it has been pretty easy to switch. 2 hours over 2 days and I can touch-type all the characters. I'm going glacially, but haven't resorted to qwerty yet at work 5 hours in.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

still disappointed nobody itt has fessed up to using data hands

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

still disappointed nobody itt has fessed up to using data hands

when I have my own art studio someday that people will be interviewing me in and taking photos of, I'm definitely gonna hide my normal keyboards and have a pair of those and some esoteric mouse in front of my weird computer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

holy hit

C Y B E R M A N

holy poo poo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

anyone else have problem with sometimes not activating browns even after years of typing on them? like it doesnt happen for days at a time then other days it seems like every third keypress doesnt register

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

anyone else have problem with sometimes not activating browns even after years of typing on them? like it doesnt happen for days at a time then other days it seems like every third keypress doesnt register

i have browns at work and ive never had a problem with them. i did have this problem with my unicomp-m, and it seems to be an electrical problem of some kind

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I like my CODE keyboard with clears and PBT caps. I can't believe mother fuckers are still coming in this thread asking the same god drat questions time after time. Get a CODE with clears and get PBT caps.

echi speaking goddamn absolute truth here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

still disappointed nobody itt has fessed up to being mr data hands

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penguissimo posted:

echi speaking goddamn absolute truth here

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Sadly, I need a spanish layout and the CODE doesnt have one. Also, the PBT packs are 104 keys...

I guess I could live with the swedish version, its the closest one.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

El Laucha posted:

Sadly, I need a spanish layout and the CODE doesnt have one. Also, the PBT packs are 104 keys...

I guess I could live with the swedish version, its the closest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV3uUsoRe4

burning swine
May 26, 2004

never tried clears but i'm gonna get my hands on my first browns soon

exciting time to be alive am i right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it sure is mate. I hope you realise key cap material is half the battle and I make a poo poo load of typos on my blues board whereas virtually none on the clears and I think it's coz I'm sloppy and probably half push down all the keys around where I am meant to and the higher activation on the clears saves my rear end

• Locked thread