Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I just hope every horror game is good, really. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah but they didn't call Shovel Knight "Back in 1992". Also it was a good game.

My point being that even if they did I wouldn't have taken it as a red flag right off the bat because there have been enough good games blatantly cashing on nostalgia.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Just give me Alone in the Dark with a microtransaction system and maybe hats.

TF2 is v spooky

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
You guys know of any pixelated horror games that are as good as Lone Survivor? I really like that one and I need something to freak me out this summer.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Claire was pretty good for the couple of hours I've put into it so far. Can't speak for the quality of the late game but the early game is spooky enough. Very obviously inspired by Lone Survivor.

Dreaming Mary is also pretty good, although trying to describe it would honestly spoil it. It's free and super short.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I feel it was a design mishap to make the pistol in Alien: Isolation so beefy looking when it's actually a peashooter.

Also, The Medical bay. I'll get you eventually, you xeno bastard. :arghfist::stare:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

prahanormal posted:

Claire was pretty good for the couple of hours I've put into it so far. Can't speak for the quality of the late game but the early game is spooky enough. Very obviously inspired by Lone Survivor.

Dreaming Mary is also pretty good, although trying to describe it would honestly spoil it. It's free and super short.

rpgmaker.net is down, but I'm going to play Claire Monday after finals

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You guys know of any pixelated horror games that are as good as Lone Survivor? I really like that one and I need something to freak me out this summer.

The Last Door is a personal favorite of mine if you like point & click adventure games, Lovecraftian themes, and ultra-chunky graphics.

You can also take a look at my post history in the thread for a lot of reviews of pixelly indie horror games, both good and bad.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Zombie Samurai posted:

The Last Door is a personal favorite of mine if you like point & click adventure games, Lovecraftian themes, and ultra-chunky graphics.

You can also take a look at my post history in the thread for a lot of reviews of pixelly indie horror games, both good and bad.

Wow I can't believe I forgot this. A high water mark in pixeled horror.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Stray Cat Crossing was pretty solid, it's not very long though. The Count Lucanor is sorta horror, I haven't played it myself but a lot of people have recommended it to me.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Stray Cat Crossing was pretty solid, it's not very long though. The Count Lucanor is sorta horror, I haven't played it myself but a lot of people have recommended it to me.

Yeah I'll vouch for both of these as well. I realize I never posted my review of The Count Lucanor in this thread, and I wrote about Stray Cat Crossing last October.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

rpgmaker.net is down, but I'm going to play Claire Monday after finals
i wouldnt, its an abandoned project that isnt worth playing in its current state

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite rpgmaker horror game is Ib, because Ib has the ability to get a nice, happy ending, and I like when horror games let the cast end on a happy note

Also, I remember Ib just being fairly well made. It had an interesting aesthetic and unique atmosphere

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Relin posted:

i wouldnt, its an abandoned project that isnt worth playing in its current state
Is there a different game called Claire? Cause the one on steam seems like a pretty finished product: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252830/

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didn't say it wasnt finished. you can play to the end, but changes proposed two years ago never came to fruition. mainly the horrible map that makes it a chore to play. the dev also hasnt played a game on steam since january 2015

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
This is why I never pay attention to anything devs say post release regarding updates. It does nothing but set up expectations that will probably never be fulfilled, and makes any flaws the game has hurt a whole lot more.

I also don't read lists of wanted features in early access type things. Game development is tricky yo.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Have you tried imscared? It's more of a walking simulator with puzzles, but it has pixels out the rear end. It can be kind of a chore sometimes, especially in the action sequences due to clunky controls, but it has a bunch of fairly clever puzzles, most of which require you to look outside the game, restart the app, change .ini files, etc. And it can in fact be really scary in short bursts, when it decides to be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I feel it was a design mishap to make the pistol in Alien: Isolation so beefy looking when it's actually a peashooter.

Also, The Medical bay. I'll get you eventually, you xeno bastard. :arghfist::stare:

I think you could justify the relative power of guns in that game by the need to not have weapons that might accidentally shatter windows while out in space.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

I only suffered through Part 1 but that was all I needed to see, really. Horrendous, nonsensical, forced sequence pixel hunting. Inconsistent, confused tone. Long, drawn out and pointless scenes. The whole thing felt like some kind of self-masturbatory attempt at combining a bunch of disjointed UrbEx photos with a song somebody really wanted to show off.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

I only suffered through Part 1 but that was all I needed to see, really. Horrendous, nonsensical, forced sequence pixel hunting. Inconsistent, confused tone. Long, drawn out and pointless scenes. The whole thing felt like some kind of self-masturbatory attempt at combining a bunch of disjointed UrbEx photos with a song somebody really wanted to show off.

To be fair I liked the tone and can suffer through the most drawn out anything so I thought it was good. I get why you didn't like it though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FirstAidKite posted:

My favorite rpgmaker horror game is Ib, because Ib has the ability to get a nice, happy ending, and I like when horror games let the cast end on a happy note

Also, I remember Ib just being fairly well made. It had an interesting aesthetic and unique atmosphere

Being able to end in something less than a complete downer is an interesting aesthetic in and of itself. I agree that's Cool and Good, though, if for no other reason than half of the tension of a horror game comes from the struggle, and the struggle loses something if the outcome is foregone.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Being able to end in something less than a complete downer is an interesting aesthetic in and of itself. I agree that's Cool and Good, though, if for no other reason than half of the tension of a horror game comes from the struggle, and the struggle loses something if the outcome is foregone.

I think the worst thing is when a game has a happy ending and then there is something real quick at the end going "nah jk" and you have no control over it. IIRC, Mad Father and Witch's House both did that (sorry to spoil for people who haven't played it) and it's kind of a lovely way to ruin the mood they set imo

It'd be like if every ending of the first silent hill game was the same as they are now, except with some text at the end saying "Harry Mason left and was happy, but then he became a serial killer and killed and tortured a ton of people"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 2, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My mood swings on that, it really depends on the execution. Sometimes it feels cheap where you see it coming a mile away like "camera zooms out to happy music before a hand rises from a grave!" But every so often you get an amazing shocker like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it works better in film since in film you are just watching it, but in a game you have enough involvement to potentially influence the story, so it's weird when games give you some degree of control over the story but then wrench the story in a different direction at the end regardless of whatever you did.

This is more of a problem with games in general, it is just something I notice more with story-based horror games since those kinds of games are pretty much carried entirely by how well they do the horror and how well they do the plot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I don't know what your anime tolerance is but Corpse Party is up on GOG.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Corpse Party is real bad, though. At some point, it loses the tenseness and scariness and just becomes a weird fetish guro visual novel wrapped up in its story. In my opinion, anyway. :v: Just play Lone Survivor again! :D

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's no opinion about it, the creator seems to have a thinly veiled gore fetish to go with his actual admitted piss fetish

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think that's an issue in the original. It's the sequels that get weird.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I thought Corpse Party was scary as hell :shrug:

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The further you go into Corpse Party sequels the longer and more frequent Piss Quest™ happens in them. The pc version that just got released on GoG and Steam is pretty much fine though.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I thought the anime was pretty spooky.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Corpse Party also has a gross scene where a sister molests her younger brother.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So did people actually have 'fun' playing Lone Survivor? Like I got what it was going for and it was fine up until a point, and then it just became a tedious mess of keeping up invisible status meters and endless backtracking. I ended up just watching an LP to realize how much annoyance still waited for me in the basement and outside of the apartments.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Niggurath posted:

So did people actually have 'fun' playing Lone Survivor? Like I got what it was going for and it was fine up until a point, and then it just became a tedious mess of keeping up invisible status meters and endless backtracking. I ended up just watching an LP to realize how much annoyance still waited for me in the basement and outside of the apartments.
Same here, I stopped at the basement because it was just tedious and not scary.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the worst thing is when a game has a happy ending and then there is something real quick at the end going "nah jk" and you have no control over it. IIRC, Mad Father and Witch's House both did that (sorry to spoil for people who haven't played it) and it's kind of a lovely way to ruin the mood they set imo

It'd be like if every ending of the first silent hill game was the same as they are now, except with some text at the end saying "Harry Mason left and was happy, but then he became a serial killer and killed and tortured a ton of people"

I thought it was really annoying when Dead Space did it. I guess they thought it was pretty dumb too because they seemed to retcon it for the sequel :v:

I enjoyed Lone Survivor up until I got outside and then it just felt like too much of a slog. Still meaning to go back to it as I generally liked its presentation and gameplay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

I just hope every horror game is good, really. v:shobon:v

Me too.

Anyone remember an anime-looking point and click pc horror game that took place on a space station? I played it ages ago but I barely remember anything about it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The White Chamber. I remember it being not that great.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

The White Chamber. I remember it being not that great.

The plot was pretty dull. The art was at its best when they were just being grotesque and gross, but usually the art was just deviantart style anime and the endings were pretty dumb too

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I feel like there's a real fine line you have to walk if you want any type of anime horror. Corpse Party is about the best in terms of balance of creepy anime bullshit versus actual horror. It's certainly not as bad as Saya no Uta. I'd really like to play White Day, but at this point I'm gonna wait for the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Niggurath posted:

I spent an hour on a pixel hunt trying to figure out where to go next in the apartments and gave up. Shame, it was really fun up til that point. Maybe I'll give it another shot some day.