Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Crossposting from the Nioh thread again, I made a ~3.5 minute video of the first boss fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnBguUKlrc

Please ignore my absolute flubbing of the word "addicted" 3 seconds into the video.

I only realized later that the "magic" and ninjutsu stuff used separate upgrade points, so when I was regoing through the demo with a spear it's been pretty great just using electricity on everything, since it makes them slow when they get hit with the status effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

i liked no man's wharf, and in general liked ds2's areas more than 1's.

especially shrine of amana

Just resist the urge to bowsnipe for half an hour and it works out fine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember that one e3 where there was a trailer of some dudes having a gunfight at a gas station or something and it was all cgi but they slapped a reticle over it in a few spots to try to make it look like gameplay but nobody was having that poo poo, they did a really awful job of convincing people it was a game

idk what that game was called, idk if it ever got released

It never got released

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shrine of Amana before the nerfs was hilarious to invade

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Trip report: Hitman Blood Money

It's really good! I'm about halfway through, I think.

The level design is reminiscent of Deus Ex, in that there are clearly different avenues to accomplish your goals, and they're all laid out to you from the very beginning. I haven't tried running into restricted areas, guns blazing, but I imagine that it works out fine. Personally, my approach has been to trade up in disguises, going from, say, guests to waiters to guards. This means lots of hanging around bathrooms. I only ever carry my pistol, and I rarely use it, usually going for the syringes and piano wire. I'm glad they offer a few non-lethal options (limited to two doses of a knockout drug) because having to kill innocents would feel immensely lovely. Like, this clown is only doing his job, I shouldn't have to kill him just because I want his costume.

The AI is about as good as I'd like it to be: there's a nice balance between set patrol routes and randomness. The NPCs display an unrealistic lack of curiosity: they don't notice missing guards, nor do they wonder why this bald man is spending so much time standing in front of the door to the bathroom. But it's a game, and it's a good thing they didn't program that in. This isn't really a stealth game most of the time, since you can usually hide in plain sight. I like things slow, but game has certain random moments that act like little opportunities: the mark is suddenly out of his guards' sight, and is standing right in front of a ledge! Push him! Push him now! Now! Pretty exhilarating.

I'm also very glad that there doesn't seem to be a time limit. A few missions have an objective that's like "Defend this person from an assassination squad" so that made me panic a little, but those turn out to just be for flavour.

So! Immense fun!

Blood Money is rad and I'm glad you're having fun :)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I wanna play the new hitman but my laptop can't handle it. Dark Souls 3 has to run in 800x600 to have a semi-acceptable framerate.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just had some fun jamming out on Rocksmith 2014!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm playing everyday genius squarelogic, a fun little puzzle game that is kinda like sudoku but not as annoying

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I only realized later that the "magic" and ninjutsu stuff used separate upgrade points, so when I was regoing through the demo with a spear it's been pretty great just using electricity on everything, since it makes them slow when they get hit with the status effect.

Yeah, the leveling up and learning and equipping skills system is the most obtuse part of the game, because it's not obvious that all those things are seperate and they aren't really grouped in an intuitive way.

There are five categories of skills, listed across the top of the screen as equals, but the first 3 all use samurai points, and the 4 one uses seperate ninja points and the fifth one uses seperate magic points.

Both Ninjutsu and Onmyo are Jutsus, so they share an equip pool. Maybe. I actually think that's not true. I will have to go check. But you equip them both on the same screen. Even though you can learn these skills anywhere, because learning skills isn't a shrine activity, you can only equip them at shrines.

The poison bombs are good, except there isn't a good way to aim them. Idealy you need to throw them in front enemies. Locking on and throwing them means that the blast practically pushes the enemy out of range of the gas.

They are super cool though.

I wish I had remembered to bitch about the other biggest problem with the UI when I took the survey: They made a game where magic, repairing, and ninjutsu all use consumables, and gave you 2 slots to to use them.

Are you serious? Soulsgames now have like 10 quick access slots (15 in DS3, I think) and this game has 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I wonder if Necrodancer can be made to run with a guitar.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wonder if Necrodancer can be made to run with a guitar.

If you can get a guitar hero/rockband guitar to input into something that plays necrodancer, it seems like something that could actually be done and would be really fun. It might just take a whole lot of work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

If you can get a guitar hero/rockband guitar to input into something that plays necrodancer, it seems like something that could actually be done and would be really fun. It might just take a whole lot of work.

Yeah necrodancer uses 4 buttons so its very doable once you wrap your head around it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Just resist the urge to bowsnipe for half an hour and it works out fine

Yeah Amana was a ton of fun if you ran through it with only melee.

I still can't believe that it got nerfed. The whole point of the series is to challenging yet there's a weird portion of fanbase that despises anything that isn't a simple 1v1 fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Idea for a game: you work for the government doing creepy wide-net social engineering and one of the gauges for success is looking at how the populace responds in the newspaper

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I downloaded the Nioh demo. It's pretty cool, I like how what would be the death spots in Dark Souls actually summon an NPC with all the gear of that player who died, and it'll attack you if you activate it.

That's pretty cool.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

VideoGames posted:

I really need to pick this up again. I keep trying to get my buddy to bring his ps3 disc so I can get those songs for free also. I could probably just go buy it at gamestop for $5.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Were there enough Rocksmith releases that they needed a yearly naming scheme??

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I just learned that The Division is a bad game for giant bigots and I didn't even manage to make it to the Dark Zone yet. I thought that game looked like it would be fun but now I'm just sad :smith:

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Were there enough Rocksmith releases that they needed a yearly naming scheme??

Just 2. If you have the first one you can get the songs as free dlc on the second. I didn't play the first but apparently 2014 has a bunch of improvements.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
worth it just for minimetro.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

Just 2. If you have the first one you can get the songs as free dlc on the second. I didn't play the first but apparently 2014 has a bunch of improvements.

I can confirm that the 2014 edition is fantastic and improves the original in all ways.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CrashCat posted:

I just learned that The Division is a bad game for giant bigots and I didn't even manage to make it to the Dark Zone yet. I thought that game looked like it would be fun but now I'm just sad :smith:

Its not. its tone def in some areas(the one bosses speech and some character designs) but its not some right wing circlejerk that some make it out to be. a decent amount of the stuff can be some what negated in game story stuff. Alot of the more hypoberlic claims are that you just kill innocent civilians and prisoners and sanitation men even though everyone you fight is armed, mostly fire first, and kill tons of civilians for either kicks, their stuff, or a retarded draconian idea of "burning the virus away including burning non-infected people alive.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 3, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Boy and His Blob is a great puzzle platformer with a dedicated hug button.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

A Boy and His Blob is a great puzzle platformer with a dedicated hug button.

is it on the 3ds store? i always wanted to give it a shot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...campaign=buffer

so the voice cast for Dishonored 2 is out now. pretty good choices.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Yoooo someone from Magic School Bus is on board!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The rioter faction in the Division is a flat out terrible idea and there is a racist vibe to them that we've been over in these threads. The other factions are (mostly) fine and thankfully the rioters phase out quickly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CrashCat posted:

The game is super trash. Lol at ubisoft selling that load of garbage. The thread is full of people who love that grind! Game releases 2 years after Destiny with even worse mistakes and the exact same ones.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Its not. its tone def in some areas(the one bosses speech and some character designs) but its not some right wing circlejerk that some make it out to be. a decent amount of the stuff can be some what negated in game story stuff. Alot of the more hypoberlic claims are that you just kill innocent civilians and prisoners and sanitation men even though everyone you fight is armed, mostly fire first, and kill tons of civilians for either kicks, their stuff, or a retarded draconian idea of "burning the virus away including burning non-infected people alive.

EA and Ubisoft are banking on you to buy their games and then imagine a better game when playing their lovely rear end games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The rioter faction in the Division is a flat out terrible idea and there is a racist vibe to them that we've been over in these threads. The other factions are (mostly) fine and thankfully the rioters phase out quickly.

I get what they were trying to do with the rioter faction. create a generic raider faction that isnt really a faction. but it should have had more character models and a better name. I get why people critizie them, I just find it stupid that people poo poo on the rikers and the cleaners. yeah the rikers leader complaints i get, which i dont entirely agree with but i understand it was tone def. but the faction in general is fine.

But acting like the rikers and the cleaners are just innocent people you gun down because your the evil conservative is loving retarded. My best friend who worked as guard/aid at a youth prison and he was almost murdered(broken rib and fractier in lower spine and he now happily works as a job councilor for the mentally disabled) the one was in for minor crimes, the other raped his brother. so excuse me if i dont feel "guilty" about slaughtering armed convicts.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 3, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If it isn't a rightwing circlejerk why does it have Tom Clancy written on it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

corn in the bible posted:

They needed a big name to attach to the game. I hope you enjoy the 3 cutscenes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

because it needed a big name attached to it. plus the tom clancy brand apparently keeps the game grounded in reality or some poo poo. who knows they own the name now at least for games. either way Ubisoft is one of the most (socially) left publishers/devs out there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed the Division for what it was and had a lot of fun in the DZ but there are too many good games out now and coming out soon to get sucked into that grind.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My best friend who worked as guard/aid at a youth prison and he was almost murdered(broken rib and fractier in lower spine and he now happily works as a job councilor for the mentally disabled) the one was in for minor crimes, the other raped his brother. so excuse me if i dont feel "guilty" about slaughtering armed convicts.

Dapper_Swindler: Child murder advocate

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Someone's fishing for a new big red text.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bloodychill posted:

I enjoyed the Division for what it was and had a lot of fun in the DZ but there are too many good games out now and coming out soon to get sucked into that grind.

Are you sure you dont want to farm forever for guns that are just slightly better to play a game that the devs do QA with god mode?

I hope the ladder didn't kill you in the game! (This was a actual bug for Tom Clancy's The Division released in TYOOL 2016!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

during the division's beta, I lost a character to rolling in a DZ safe house and landed on a coffee table you're not supposed to be able to get on, and consequently couldn't get off of it either

• Locked thread