Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Alaois posted:

listen pal if i wanted to read words i'd read a fuckin book

Then why are you on the undying phylactery meme machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: It's lifeless and droning the vast majority of the time and when there is any kind of emotion trying to be conveyed, it falls flat or is laughably hammy instead

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is still loving amazing years later. gently caress Geoff Keighley and his doritos stained hands.

I will never forget how dead inside he looked in that Halo/Doritos interview.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Asuron posted:

Yeah but that's also a really silly way to approach it. You can't look at things in parts like that, you have to look at how it all comes together.

Plus uhh when did linear become this dirty word? Who cares if something is linear? Some of the best games ever made only point you forward like Half Life 2. Personally I'm getting sick of every game going open world and losing the ability to tell a proper story in the process, not to mention how much time it eats up. It's getting to the point where I just avoid games I think I'll like because I know I won't have the time for it because they all require you to invest 40 something hours into at minimum.

I think when it comes to linearity vs. open-world, it depends how you approach both. In terms of narrative, I think that video Super Bunnyhop did comparing Morrowind's and Skyrim main quest does a good job showing how an open-word design can help or hinder a story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wujJnlsJh4

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jsor posted:

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1OGexjaP1U

I think someone compared it to one of Joe's old interviews with someone or something.

Is there any chance Joel wasn't actually drunk during this? He gave the VGX all the respect it deserves\

You can tell every time Geoff looks at Joel he wishes he could make that guys head explode with the power of his mind. It's beautiful.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jsor posted:

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1OGexjaP1U

I think someone compared it to one of Joe's old interviews with someone or something.

Joel McHale is amazing in this. It looks like the set of Top Gear if Top Gear stopped giving a gently caress. If they wanted McHale to give effort, maybe not hire the guy who hosts The Soup.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PassTheRemote posted:

If they wanted McHale to give effort, maybe not hire the guy who hosts The Soup.

I dunno, man, I think both that video and the latter half of The Soup (especially the final month when they knew they were cancelled) prove that McHale is 100% on fire when he has no more fucks to give about a job.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The strange thing is that the Video Game Awards have been getting progressively better every year. The most recent one even helped out Konami as a real shitbag company with not allowing Kojima to appear and major props to Geoff for just outright saying it rather than bullshitting around the issue. Funny how the "doritos pope" somehow turned around and has a degree of integrity now.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Tracula posted:

The strange thing is that the Video Game Awards have been getting progressively better every year. The most recent one even helped out Konami as a real shitbag company with not allowing Kojima to appear and major props to Geoff for just outright saying it rather than bullshitting around the issue. Funny how the "doritos pope" somehow turned around and has a degree of integrity now.

I think he's pretty cool with Kojima. Not to minimize an A+ move but Konami was already known to be exiting the games business so it was a pretty safe target.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I dunno, man, I think both that video and the latter half of The Soup (especially the final month when they knew they were cancelled) prove that McHale is 100% on fire when he has no more fucks to give about a job.

Joel giving anything less than no fucks about the VGX is giving the VGX too much credit.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

Honestly, gently caress open world third person games. It's abundantly clear by this point that the genre isn't moving in the direction of anything interesting or compelling, just hours upon hours of bland "content". There's no push to add any kind of real interaction with the worlds, or for them to exist as anything but padding you have to navigate between missions, nobody cares about pushing any kind of envelope, to make the games cooler or bigger or more fun, just to make them more. And why bother coming up with new kinds of play when basically everything can be bent to work as an open-world third person shooter, probably with vehicles, racing minigames and tailing missions nobody on the planet enjoys but are cheap to make, a bajillion worthless collectibles, add some crafting too, fuckers love crafting. The current state of open world third person video games represents the final entropic state of AAA. Welcome to the heat death of video games.

Never played Witcher 3, huh?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Open World games can be good it's just they've been run completely into the ground what with the Ubisoft model of open-world gameplay and all.
The next game I get that makes me climb a tower to fill out my map is going straight in the trash bin I won't buy it.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1SZgRL1n4o

In case anyone missed it, there was a really fantastic discussion on last year's Giant Bomb GOTY podcast about The Problem With Open World Games centered around whether or not to include Fallout 4 on the year's "most disappointing game" award list. Specifically, that as much as these games have improved, these open world games still have large systemic problems when it comes to how interactive they can be, how the procedurally generated elements of the game can gently caress up the narrative, and if its even reasonable to ask for these games to be any better given their scale.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

DStecks posted:

I am burnt out on video games. :smith:
Cleanse your soul with Indie titles. Go play Stardew Valley, Hotline Miami, LISA, Undertale, and FTL for a while. As for Triple A Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty good too, but the end missions are kind of wonky. Shadow of Mordor went the direction Assassin's Creed should've gone, in my opinion.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's why Fallout 4's story and acting are so good.
Right?

:qq: Ashes, go home!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think what Rich was saying is that for Quantam Break and games like it, it feels like they came up with the story and premises for the TV portion first and the gameplay it self was secondary. Rich and Jay are definitely guys who value gameplay over story who's is fine. The guys over at Extra Credits once said that the rule "Show, Don't tell" for video games is "Do, Don't show." If they wanted to watch TV or a movie, and they would go put on Netflixs. But if they wanna play a game then they want to play a game, not watch some rejected make for Netflix tv show.

Also D-stecks, X-Com 2. I can't get enough of that game.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 3, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MrSlam posted:

Cleanse your soul with Indie titles. Go play Stardew Valley, Hotline Miami, LISA, Undertale, and FTL for a while. As for Triple A Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty good too, but the end missions are kind of wonky. Shadow of Mordor went the direction Assassin's Creed should've gone, in my opinion.

For the past year I've mostly been playing Paradox games. Been enjoying Hyper Light Drifter lately. And pretty much whenever I just want a quick gaming fix I just fire up Doom 1 because it loads quick and doesn't dick me around before I can get to the good bits. Shadow of Mordor was actually the last open world game I finished, now that you mention it. It was alright, had a lot of cool ideas, but the main combat balance was wonky. They were way too quick to introduce Uruks who break the X-to-hit-Y-to-counter rules, but then by the halfway point you're an unstoppable killing god.

Also, not enough good things can be said about Hanako Games.

EDIT: XCOM 2 is so weird. So much of it, especially how the soldiers play, is a huge leap forward from XCOM, but every loving enemy beyond the first two is some variation on "% chance to immediately incapacitate one of your soldiers, which you can do exactly nothing to mitigate". I want to like XCOM2 so much, but the enemies are just stunningly unfun to fight.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 3, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Don't forget that Rich is more or less an oldman curmudgeon who grew up on Nintendo when it comes to Video Games. You can't take what he says too seriously.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

It makes me think I could never be a proper critic.

First you have to throw out your preconceptions, then decide whether you enjoyed it or not, then you have to weigh in whether other people with would enjoy it, then you have to decide whether it was objectively good with what it was trying to accomplish and try not to compare it to other works like it's in a competition. That sounds simple but there'll always be a ratio of people who disagree with you and mine is pretty high.

My tastes go from eclectic and refined to classic to horrible and schlocky and I'm completely out of touch with modern audiences and tastes (why the hell would Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm even have an audience?). I think at best I could decide if I liked it with conifdence but that's it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Or you can just talk about why you liked it or didn't like it, and the reasons why. There's no such thing as an invalid critical perspective. Rich isn't wrong to prefer the old way of doing things, and Jack isn't wrong to prefer games that minimize their narratives. This shaming of people who don't step in line with what other game critics value is part of why games are so drat homogeneous. Do I always agree with Pre-Rec? No. Do they have a valuable perspective? Yes.

Tracula posted:

Don't forget that Rich is more or less an oldman curmudgeon who grew up on Nintendo when it comes to Video Games. You can't take what he says too seriously.

How the gently caress old are you that you think growing up on Nintendo makes you an oldman curmudgeon? My mom grew up on Atari ffs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms you could throw at the Uncharted series but laziness is far from being one of them. I don't even play the games really but I can still appreciate how much creativity and care was poured into them.

Except for The Last of Us outright lying about its AI and really having more or less the same enemy behavior as Uncharted, that was kinda bullshit.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

How the gently caress old are you that you think growing up on Nintendo makes you an oldman curmudgeon? My mom grew up on Atari ffs

I mean oldman curmudgeon in a rather broad/general sense rather than literally being old. The first part of your post sums up what I was going for. The Nintendo bit was going towards their feelings about Sega and Sonic and the like.

DStecks posted:

Or you can just talk about why you liked it or didn't like it, and the reasons why. There's no such thing as an invalid critical perspective. Rich isn't wrong to prefer the old way of doing things, and Jack isn't wrong to prefer games that minimize their narratives. This shaming of people who don't step in line with what other game critics value is part of why games are so drat homogeneous. Do I always agree with Pre-Rec? No. Do they have a valuable perspective? Yes.

He just kind of likes the old ways of videogames better basically.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's not really "shaming" to think that a critic's relatively limited perspective on the medium causes them to make overly harsh judgement calls and absolute statements that ignore different points of view (I.e: yours) and to find that frustrating.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

MrSlam posted:

It makes me think I could never be a proper critic.

First you have to throw out your preconceptions, then decide whether you enjoyed it or not, then you have to weigh in whether other people with would enjoy it, then you have to decide whether it was objectively good with what it was trying to accomplish and try not to compare it to other works like it's in a competition. That sounds simple but there'll always be a ratio of people who disagree with you and mine is pretty high.

My tastes go from eclectic and refined to classic to horrible and schlocky and I'm completely out of touch with modern audiences and tastes (why the hell would Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm even have an audience?). I think at best I could decide if I liked it with conifdence but that's it.

Hearthstone is basically streamlined pared-down magic the gathering. A game which has been popular for more than twenty years. You find an audience for that surprising?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Also calling Naughty Dog/all TPS games lazy is worse than usual on the 'Rich is being dumb about games' front. Then again the comments are people saying TLOU was 99% movie and 1% game so I don't know what these people are playing. :psyduck:

A boring game that is sluggish to play and so desperately wants to be a movie?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CountFosco posted:

Hearthstone is basically streamlined pared-down magic the gathering. A game which has been popular for more than twenty years. You find an audience for that surprising?
I have this lovely subconscious internal monologue that tells me, "Well I wouldn't enjoy it, why would they?"

And then when I bring up the fact that RTS fans and Magic fans aren't mutually exclusive and Blizzard's allowed to make different games the subconscious says, "Well if people want to play Magic the Gathering, why don't they play it instead of Blizzard's equally expensive MtG Jr?"

And then I tell my brain that maybe Magic doesn't have a widely exploited online gaming presence and I don't even play it in the first place so why should I care, and brain says, "Blizzard stopped making games for me, I want to keep playing games like they used to make even though they aren't the same people that made those games. If they stop making these games other people like to play maybe they'll make the games I want them to make."

Then I tell my brain to stop talking or I'll make it watch Nickelodeon live action shows.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

EDIT: XCOM 2 is so weird. So much of it, especially how the soldiers play, is a huge leap forward from XCOM, but every loving enemy beyond the first two is some variation on "% chance to immediately incapacitate one of your soldiers, which you can do exactly nothing to mitigate". I want to like XCOM2 so much, but the enemies are just stunningly unfun to fight.

Actually you can counter for every enemy. Flashbangs counter mc, stun lancers, pretty much everyone. Faceless by virtue of scans, and in start game playing cautious. By the time you reach the other enemies you already have all the tools to basically trounce any an all fights. That and mimic beacon, status, armor piercing rounds, dragon rounds, grenadier with all their grenade types.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I like MTG better than Hearthstone but playing it on PC is loving miserable in comparison. Hearthstone is quick and snappy. No instants or whatever,. nothing to make every single action drag on and on. Magic Duels is a loving slog and loving lol at MODO still using basically a Windows 98 interface.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MrSlam posted:

And then when I bring up the fact that RTS fans and Magic fans aren't mutually exclusive and Blizzard's allowed to make different games the subconscious says, "Well if people want to play Magic the Gathering, why don't they play it instead of Blizzard's equally expensive MtG Jr?"

You can easily play Hearthstone spending no or very little money on it. MTG on PC is also a garbage fire.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

What loving game did you play instead of XCOM 2? Gatekeepers are like the only unfair enemy in the game.

Andrast posted:

You can easily play Hearthstone spending no or very little money on it. MTG on PC is also a garbage fire.
The microprose game was a masterpiece.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Augus posted:

It's not really "shaming" to think that a critic's relatively limited perspective on the medium causes them to make overly harsh judgement calls and absolute statements that ignore different points of view (I.e: yours) and to find that frustrating.

But should we expect game reviewers to to touch on other perspectives, and to what degree should we expect them to do so since they can't possibly cover them all? We are ostensibly watching their review for their opinion, and at times it will be overwhelmingly negative. I can certainly understand not agreeing with their opinion, but it strikes me as odd to say it's somehow a flaw that they didn't provide speculation on what other people might think. I can watch another reviewer to get a different perspective, after all.

I don't think that they hate the 3rd person shooter gametype outright, after all Rich seems to love the one Platinum Games released. I can understand their criticism that it appears to be a new Default in the industry.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

MrSlam posted:

I have this lovely subconscious internal monologue that tells me, "Well I wouldn't enjoy it, why would they?"

And then I tell my brain that maybe Magic doesn't have a widely exploited online gaming presence and I don't even play it in the first place so why should I care, and brain says, "Blizzard stopped making games for me, I want to keep playing games like they used to make even though they aren't the same people that made those games. If they stop making these games other people like to play maybe they'll make the games I want them to make."

Then I tell my brain to stop talking or I'll make it watch Nickelodeon live action shows.

Hearthstone is nowhere near as expensive as mtg. I've put about six bucks into hearthstone and much much more into modo (magic online). Free to play is real.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well to be fair basilisk and workstation are also free.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

Or you can just talk about why you liked it or didn't like it, and the reasons why. There's no such thing as an invalid critical perspective.

Yeah, to me, critics are most interesting when they express their opinions and then support them entertainingly. I don't have to agree with their opinion, I just have to see where they're coming from. There's a bunch of critics who I tend to disagree heavily with in terms of taste, but who I think are pretty great in general because I like the way they express themselves.

quote:

This shaming of people who don't step in line with what other game critics value is part of why games are so drat homogeneous. Do I always agree with Pre-Rec? No. Do they have a valuable perspective? Yes.

I don't think it counts as shaming if we're talking about a person where he (presumably) doesn't see it. I guess theoretically someone sharing that opinion could feel shamed, but the reaction seemed more "how is this guy getting this idea? This stuff counters it," than "This is a bad opinion made by bad people."

NB: I don't really have a dog in this fight since I'm fuckin casual gamer SJW filth. I think the most recent thing I've played was Her Story.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, Homogenous would be seeing everyone going on how all videogames died in 1983 because of Atari. There's a big difference of when let's say, Jeremy Parish or SuperBunnyHop or Campster talk on how Sega making Sonic all about speed is a bad idea and how Pre-Rec argues it, despite being the same end.

Videogame discourse ain't gonna doom itself if you go "That's dumb" at critics who say Tetris isn't a real game because its too casual or people who call themselves geezers despite being like 21 years old and bemoan the existence of Minecraft or Matthew Patrick's... this.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

i am tim! posted:

But should we expect game reviewers to to touch on other perspectives, and to what degree should we expect them to do so since they can't possibly cover them all? We are ostensibly watching their review for their opinion, and at times it will be overwhelmingly negative. I can certainly understand not agreeing with their opinion, but it strikes me as odd to say it's somehow a flaw that they didn't provide speculation on what other people might think. I can watch another reviewer to get a different perspective, after all.

I don't think that they hate the 3rd person shooter gametype outright, after all Rich seems to love the one Platinum Games released. I can understand their criticism that it appears to be a new Default in the industry.

Well, the key difference between a 'professional' critic and any youtube commenter is that one is expected to inform and try to predict whether the audience would like it. Which is why they hold different works to wildly different standards depending on the genre, and the people involved in making it. Hence you get the constant bylines "This thing is flawed but if you're a fan of X then you'll probably like this!".

Granted not everyone reads reviews to inform their own buying decisions, sometimes it's just to see what this particular critic has to say after the fact. But by that point they're more invested in the critic than the review subject. A critic doesn't have to weigh other perspectives much if they make their own biases perfectly clear. But then internet slapfights take place between people who want consumer buying guides vs people who want HOT TAKES. Neither expectation is wrong but there you go

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 3, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think we're conflating reviewers and critics. A reviewer's job is to make a recommendation as to whether a product or service is worth its price, and should then take into consideration perspectives beyond their own. A critic's job is to evaluate a thing in whatever way they see fit, and has zero obligation to consider any perspectives but their own. A review is for the evaluation of a work as a commodity, a critique is for evaluating a work as art. And this isn't to disparage reviews, after all, we do live in the real world where video games cost money, sometimes all I want is for somebody I trust to say "You will probably enjoy this game" or "You will probably not enjoy this game", an hour long point-by-point breakdown of a game's themes isn't superior to a scored review, it's a different thing altogether.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I knew that was the case, but I could never really describe it as well as you did That's pretty good!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

DStecks posted:

I think we're conflating reviewers and critics. A reviewer's job is to make a recommendation as to whether a product or service is worth its price, and should then take into consideration perspectives beyond their own. A critic's job is to evaluate a thing in whatever way they see fit, and has zero obligation to consider any perspectives but their own. A review is for the evaluation of a work as a commodity, a critique is for evaluating a work as art. And this isn't to disparage reviews, after all, we do live in the real world where video games cost money, sometimes all I want is for somebody I trust to say "You will probably enjoy this game" or "You will probably not enjoy this game", an hour long point-by-point breakdown of a game's themes isn't superior to a scored review, it's a different thing altogether.

I guess you're right, but the terms get used interchangeably even by the people who do it for a living. The internet has blurred the lines even further, with critique once being it's own category of academic navel-gazing now being done by anyone with a blog.

Not to say that decent academic breakdowns of film don't exist, but the ratio of gold to garbage remains (only slightly) lower outside of a peer-review setting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

New Half in the Bag: Picard vs. Chekov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K7xYuM2AYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tracula posted:

Magic Duels is a loving slog and loving lol at MODO still using basically a Windows 98 interface.

Is it? They changed the client a couple years ago, and it works fine. Definitely better than v. 3.0.

• Locked thread