Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Who wants to do the fight club tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'll show up if someone hits me up on steam.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I'll show up if someone hits me up on steam.

this or if someone gives a password and a place ITT

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm not sure how many phantoms you can summon via soapstone in an area with an unbeaten boss but we'll see how many I can get. Platform would be PC and password would be impzone. Does everyone have access to a red soapstone and the latter part of Archdragon Peak? I think a nice arena would be where you fight Havel near the dragon corpse

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im nnot quite there but i cnt do tonight anyway so w/e, i'll get in on the next one

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forgot about platforms. I'm a ps4 beast

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Apparently a fight club is 5 phantoms + host but the host must summon at a place where they haven't killed the area boss. So one of you guys can host if you prefer an area earlier in the game than Dragon Peak

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'd be down for this in the evening time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
In a fit of desperation to beat champion gundyr I went sword master cosplay for that <30% equip load + blood ring roll. It's quite a roll.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm terrified of the drop in damage absorption that ring gives. is the roll worth it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

i'm terrified of the drop in damage absorption that ring gives. is the roll worth it

mmy highest absorption is -5 nd the lowest is -20. dont get hit nd it doesnt matter lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope that the DLC lets me do something i've been wanting to do since DS1: kill a primordial serpent

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Im stacking it with Prisoner's Ring and I feel like a god but if you get hit it really really hurts. Weirdly enough (I forget the naming convention) the rings that make you do more specific elemental damage but decrease damage absorption have a barely significant downside. The Carthus and Prisoner rings definitely make you hurt though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Prisoners is just too good not to run though. It's 15 free levels

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ffun fact, flynns ring keys off of total weight, not percent in this. ify oure using a big weapon you m ight only get like a 5% bump evn if you're naked

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've got a pyro with a chaos uchi. i might stack carthus, prisoner's, and fire clutch (plus... uh, +estus or the scholar ring, maybe?) and see what it does to my damage output.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

ffun fact, flynns ring keys off of total weight, not percent in this. ify oure using a big weapon you m ight only get like a 5% bump evn if you're naked

Yeah I tried it with the demon kings soul hammer weapon totally naked and the bump in damage was negligible . didn't really seem worth it; not sure if + versions exist

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i've got a pyro with a chaos uchi. i might stack carthus, prisoner's, and fire clutch (plus... uh, +estus or the scholar ring, maybe?) and see what it does to my damage output.

there was a big post on Reddit about it but if u missed it basically the clutch rings only affect "physical" resist and not slash/blunt/stab. apparently in PvE literally the only enemies in the game that do pure "physical" damage are those slime/slug things on the ground, everything else is factored through your specific resists. some PVP attacks ARE factored through straight physical but otherwise the clutch rings have no downside

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

there was a big post on Reddit about it but if u missed it basically the clutch rings only affect "physical" resist and not slash/blunt/stab. apparently in PvE literally the only enemies in the game that do pure "physical" damage are those slime/slug things on the ground, everything else is factored through your specific resists. some PVP attacks ARE factored through straight physical but otherwise the clutch rings have no downside

holy poo poo, that seems like something that's going to get patched soon. i think i might do fire clutch, priestess, and scholar, and maybe avoid the prisoner's chain. i bet that adds another 50 to 60 damage to my AR.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the only reason i'd be worried about the bloodring is because i'm already using the prisoner's chain, yeah, and it's got a permanent slot along with chloranthy

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are you sure about the clutch ring thing? The stat change appears to show a decrease in all four physical absorption types when I equip a clutch ring

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

it works out at about probably 20% more dmg at most. which isnt as bad as it sounds either since you tend to only get hit once at a time

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

might replace pontiff's right eye with it then. onikiri/ubadachi don't hit as fast as the warden twinblades so the damage bonus is less likely to help

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

it works out at about probably 20% more dmg at most. which isnt as bad as it sounds either since you tend to only get hit once at a time

yyeah past a certain point you cant get hit twice anyway so you cn just do whatever

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and its definitely worth using in pvp cos players seem to do less dmg than enemies in my experience

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sunbroing on a flynns build is epic because you get real limited flasks nd basically have to not get hit or you w on't last the fight. feels ins anely satisfying when you pull it off

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone been using the Avelyn. Thing seems fairly sick. When Im invading I use a greatbow but when Im dueling the Avelyn is pretty cool when people are on the defensive.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Avelyn is the only crossbow worth using since it seems to have the highest accuracy and velocity? I'd love the arbalest if it didn't regularly miss stationary targets at all ranges

I really like a halberd with an offhand avelyn

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Avelyn is required for guts cosplay

Also FROM really should have at least allowed heavy/sharp/refined/raw infusions for bows

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

goddamn Elder Ghru

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

defense does almost nothing in this game unless its in the negatives from those rings, poise is a false stat, makes me wonder why they even kept equip load in. just let me play dress-up ala bloodborne

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Avelyn pwns.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

defense does almost nothing in this game unless its in the negatives from those rings, poise is a false stat, makes me wonder why they even kept equip load in. just let me play dress-up ala bloodborne

Doesn't poise also determine how much stamina is drained when you shield a hit? Does that function properly? I don't know I just use shields to parry and for buffs

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Doesn't poise also determine how much stamina is drained when you shield a hit? Does that function properly? I don't know I just use shields to parry and for buffs

thats stability, which is on the shield itself

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i guess it locks the EZ mode giant tower shields behind a huge stat investment so there's that, really all i can think of though

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think having negative damage absorption should mean the enemies get hurt for touching my fine flesh

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

i guess it locks the EZ mode giant tower shields behind a huge stat investment so there's that, really all i can think of though

I keep the knightslayer ring on to poo poo on these dudes

*enemy puts up shield*

Yep I'm gonna wildly bang on that

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 4, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it seems easy to break guard in pvp in this game anyway. presumably by design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I keep the knightslayer ring on to poo poo on these dudes

It's the only thing I can think of that counters these guys and even then for insane shields like Havels it isn't enough.

• Locked thread