Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

:wtc:

I finished blindsight. Again, thanks for recommending it. A really fresh approach to First Contact... and I really missed reading a good story about that. Still not sure about the vampire thing. I mean, I understand it is a way to introduce a weird alien character in the crew, and to push the conclusion somehow. I definitely do not like the ending, mostly because I was pretty sure during the reading that those guys were going to take over, in one form or another. Bringing back an extint super-predator race stronger and smarter than humans that just did not exterminate us because of a weird psychoneural issue, and giving them the cure at the same time... What could be wrong with that?. Now I will read echopraxia... after a little bit of rest.

And that rest have taken the form of Seveneves. Great set up, big history... and bland resolution. I'm at the third part, and I'm really getting tired of 10 pages infodumps, followed by 20 pages of chit-chat about some absolutely irrelevant issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Amberskin posted:

:wtc:

I finished blindsight. Again, thanks for recommending it. A really fresh approach to First Contact... and I really missed reading a good story about that. Still not sure about the vampire thing. I mean, I understand it is a way to introduce a weird alien character in the crew, and to push the conclusion somehow. I definitely do not like the ending, mostly because I was pretty sure during the reading that those guys were going to take over, in one form or another. Bringing back an extint super-predator race stronger and smarter than humans that just did not exterminate us because of a weird psychoneural issue, and giving them the cure at the same time... What could be wrong with that?. Now I will read echopraxia... after a little bit of rest.

And that rest have taken the form of Seveneves. Great set up, big history... and bland resolution. I'm at the third part, and I'm really getting tired of 10 pages infodumps, followed by 20 pages of chit-chat about some absolutely irrelevant issue.

For more on the vampires in Blindsight: http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm

While you're right, note that Watts is definitely heavily influenced by cyberpunk so the events regarding these vampires and the circumstances of their creation are pretty consistent with the operators in the world he's created.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I really could not get into Blindsight. I think I got maybe 20% in and I just wasn't enjoying it at all so far. I mean some things were well written and some interesting ideas but it just didn't click with me :shrug:

I'm reading Ancillary Justice right now though and that's quite good so far and I'm quite digging that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Watts has a particular prose style that won't appeal to everyone. He's looking down his long academic nose (seriously he's got a big loving nose) at you while he lectures you in a nasal voice about some aspect of human biology he's found fascinating that week, informed partly by articles he's read in some crap like new scientist.

Despite that I think he's cool and interesting and occasionally pretty funny (he makes some good cracks in the speeches he gives), but not liking his style is quite understandable.

Check out the Island though, it's good: http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_TheIsland.pdf

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So the vampires are magic autists? I was gonna read the book at some point but that's a bit... :rolleyes:

Almost makes me wish he'd just gone with magic psychopaths like everyone else

Fake edit: wait no the video just got to the bit where they're psychopaths too :downs:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Strategic Tea posted:

So the vampires are magic autists? I was gonna read the book at some point but that's a bit... :rolleyes:

Fake edit: wait no the video just got to the bit where they're psychopaths too :downs:

:goonsay:

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Strategic Tea posted:

Go for it. The vampire is no so important (it's more like a plot device), and the discussion about self-conciousness and intelligence is a real intellectual treat. As I wrote before, it's not a light read, but worth the time and the effort.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

loving lmao

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The "Blindsight has vampires? Not reading that trash :smug:" attitude is as misinformed and idiotic as "A Deepness in the Sky has spiders driving cars? How ridiculous :smug:"

Like are you really expecting one character to be Edward Cullen? Or the Count from Sesame Street? Read the goddamn loving book.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm

I'm responding to the video here, where they specifically say they did gene editing on a guy with autism and he turned into a literal pale, fanged vampire with no empathy.

It's not like spiders driving cars because there's a difference between -sci fi device- making you tall and willowy and -sci fi device- giving you pointed ears, a genetic love of harp music and a burning desire to sail into the West

E: Actually thinking about it it wouldn't really bother me if he'd just said hey vampires were some genetic bogeyman hiding among us all along, which is what I'd always assumed hearing about the book.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2016

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, I always felt like Blindsight would have been just as good a novel if the vampire thing had been dropped and the vampire character had been replaced with a more generic ‘genetically engineered superman we built to win some war.’ The vampires almost feel like a side-idea that sort of clutters things, though I still really enjoyed the book. And the vampire has some cool moments.

And oddly one thing that made me really love Blindsight was that I felt like I wasn’t being lectured to the way I feel like reading other hard sci-fi novels. Most of the time Watts just throws this blizzard of terms and ideas at you, and if you’re actually curious you can always go look them up. It’s a breath of fresh air compared to something clunky and exposition-heavy like Seveneves.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The point of the vampires was that humans were on their way to non-sapience until the crucifix glitch caused their extinction.

Making them genetically engineered super soldiers would've defeated the purpose.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Strategic Tea posted:

E: Actually thinking about it it wouldn't really bother me if he'd just said hey vampires were some genetic bogeyman hiding among us all along, which is what I'd always assumed hearing about the book.

The little talk on vampires at the end of the book says just that (they were hiding in the genes of autists).

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

pseudorandom name posted:

The point of the vampires was that humans were on their way to non-sapience until the crucifix glitch caused their extinction.

Making them genetically engineered super soldiers would've defeated the purpose.

You mean "non-sentience", don't you? If I have understood, the point is sapience (as in being able to make things and learn about the universe/environment/whatever) is different from "sentience" (as in being aware of one's existence).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Xaris posted:

I really could not get into Blindsight. I think I got maybe 20% in and I just wasn't enjoying it at all so far. I mean some things were well written and some interesting ideas but it just didn't click with me :shrug:

I tried reading Blindsight recently, though I was reading other books (The Traitor Baru Cormorant and one other, IIRC) at the same time. I gave up pretty early, and I'm gonna try again when I can give it my undivided attention.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kesper North posted:

And aren't all those critters centaurs who are big-tittied ladies from the waist up or something equally retarded?

I like some of Varley's stuff, but jesus sheepfucking christ why do you crusty old SF writers have to get all rule 34 about poo poo...

And this was nearly 40 years ago.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neurosis posted:

For more on the vampires in Blindsight: http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm
Actually for more on the vampires in Blindsight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Amberskin posted:

You mean "non-sentience", don't you? If I have understood, the point is sapience (as in being able to make things and learn about the universe/environment/whatever) is different from "sentience" (as in being aware of one's existence).

Probably. I always get them confused.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

mystes posted:

Actually for more on the vampires in Blindsight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie.

Interesting. But I'd say "physicalists" tend to not give a gently caress about metaphysics reasoning. Specially in a world where Immanuel Kant did exist and wrote what he wrote.

Returning to SF, I definitely don't like Seveneves. I amb about 10% off finishing the book, and unless there is a brutal and awesome final plot twist, the book is dull. Starts with an explosion (almost literally), entangles itself into an almost unsolvable situation and then it develops an unbelievable (in the bad sense of that expression) world, which the author tries to patch using pages and pages of boring and nonsensical infodump.

I'm curious about the computations that predict the "white sky" and "hard rain". Has anybody tried to actually go through the numbers? Intuition says mos of the debris would be orbiting at moon distance, with just a small % falling down to Earth; I guess Stephenson himself had to introduce an additional body to "stir the waters" and trigger the event, but even this seems unplausible.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
People who recommended Stormdancer (it's on sale for $2.99 right now): do the next books in the series get less cliche or at least less predictable? I like the author's voice, and he writes well, but oh my god the plot of this book is the least inspired thing ever.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 2, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Coldforge posted:

People who recommended Stormdancer (it's on sale for $2.99 right now): do the next books in the series get less cliche or at least less predictable? I like the author's voice, and he writes well, but oh my god the plot of this book is the least inspired thing ever.
It depends on how genre savvy you are. For the most part its a traditional fantasy dressed up in Fantasy Steampunk Japan. There's a twist in book 2 that's been done before (but then, what hasn't been?) and a reveal in book 3 that's kind of obvious. The books are still pretty decent.

I liked the other two Lotus War books, although certain characters die that I wish didn't. And the Japanese honorifics still remain an annoying gimmick. I'm looking forward to his next book (Fantasy Roman Republic, orphan joins assassin boarding school?) because it looks like it'll have Kristoff's strengths without the misused Japanese words shoved in every other sentence..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Are we really doing this again?

I do have to laugh really hard at all the stuff about biology and then smack in the middle is "wizard saliva."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,a well-meaning friend of mine just got me The Dinosaur Lords. Apparently it's crap? If it is,I'll just take it to the used bookstore by my place.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress me dead Varley's an uneven author. I'd somehow purged all that centaur sex poo poo from my mind. I feel like he spent the 1970s high as a kite, having amazing personal experiences which translated into rambling batshit novels, and then he sobered up in the '80s and eventually started writing fantastic science fiction in the 1990s. Seriously, everyone should read The Golden Globe.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

VolticSurge posted:

So,a well-meaning friend of mine just got me The Dinosaur Lords. Apparently it's crap? If it is,I'll just take it to the used bookstore by my place.

It doesn't live up to the tremendously awesome cover art.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

freebooter posted:

gently caress me dead Varley's an uneven author. I'd somehow purged all that centaur sex poo poo from my mind. I feel like he spent the 1970s high as a kite, having amazing personal experiences which translated into rambling batshit novels, and then he sobered up in the '80s and eventually started writing fantastic science fiction in the 1990s. Seriously, everyone should read The Golden Globe.

I see it's part of a series. Does it matter if I read just The Golden Globe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VolticSurge posted:

It's mildly entertaining crap. It's worth reading once if you don't mind pulp. I keep my copy for the cover art, not because I plan to read it again.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

It's crap.

Lemme put it this way. It's got a 3-star rating on Amazon and something like 45% of its total reviews are 1-2 stars.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ah,I see. Time to put my spare Bad Rats gift copy to good use. :getin:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

I found it almost unreadable. Just utter crap. And I so wanted it to be good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mcustic posted:

Nah, it's a series in about the same way the Culture books are a series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

freebooter posted:

Steel Beach is my favorite Varley book. And it has weird sex poo poo in it, too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mister Kingdom posted:

Steel Beach is my favorite Varley book. And it has weird sex poo poo in it, too.

One of the finest opening lines of all time, quoting from memory:

"In five years the penis will be obsolete," said the salesman.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

mcustic posted:

Nope. It has loose roots in his book the Ophiuchi Hotline in the 70s, but he sort of rebooted the world in the 90s with Steel Beach and The Golden Globe. They're both standalone books set in the same universe. Although you may as well read Steel Beach, I liked it quite a bit, just not as much as TGG.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Welp. Black Gate has declined their Hugo nomination because they don't want to be associated with Vox Day.

Good call.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Groke posted:

One of the finest opening lines of all time, quoting from memory:

"In five years the penis will be obsolete," said the salesman.

And The Golden Globe's:

"I once played Romeo and Juliet as a one-man show," I said.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XBenedict posted:

Welp. Black Gate has declined their Hugo nomination because they don't want to be associated with Vox Day.

Good call.

Good on them, but I can't help but feel a little sad for them. This is the 2nd year in a row they've bowed out on principle. And despite that, they run the risk in the future of being forever linked to Vox Day's brand of madness and never be a legitimate contender for the Hugo on their own merits.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

freebooter posted:

Nope. It has loose roots in his book the Ophiuchi Hotline in the 70s, but he sort of rebooted the world in the 90s with Steel Beach and The Golden Globe. They're both standalone books set in the same universe. Although you may as well read Steel Beach, I liked it quite a bit, just not as much as TGG.

I'm already reading it. Looks like it's going to be quite a ride. Surprisingly funny and thankfully lacking in horse penises.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mars4523 posted:

It depends on how genre savvy you are. For the most part its a traditional fantasy dressed up in Fantasy Steampunk Japan. There's a twist in book 2 that's been done before (but then, what hasn't been?) and a reveal in book 3 that's kind of obvious. The books are still pretty decent.

I liked the other two Lotus War books, although certain characters die that I wish didn't. And the Japanese honorifics still remain an annoying gimmick. I'm looking forward to his next book (Fantasy Roman Republic, orphan joins assassin boarding school?) because it looks like it'll have Kristoff's strengths without the misused Japanese words shoved in every other sentence..

Thanks. This is why publishers pricing first-in-a-series books at $10-14 always baffles me. If I had paid full price for this one, I'd be pissed, and probably wouldn't risk a "new" author for quite a while.

For $3, though? It was absolutely worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

freebooter posted:

And The Golden Globe's:

"I once played Romeo and Juliet as a one-man show," I said.