Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Krinkle posted:

Anri's sword + carthus rouge just shits out damage. I don't get nearly as much damage with a hollow weapon + carthus rougue. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. The bleed numbers appear to be gibberish also. Like an estoc is 100 bleed damage but I've literally never gotten bleed to proc making it hollow and rubbing it with carthus but a hollow washingpole bleeds people out every other swing at only 33. I don't get it.

Have you ever been to the poison swamp in farron's keep? Did poison bother you, even a little, ever? Why would it bother anyone else. Not even toxic is scary. I wouldn't do a poison build ever. Bleed is where it's at.

Bleed damage is how much damage they take when it pops. The amount of bleed stacks per hit is an invisible number that is differs for each weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Babe Magnet posted:

1) Oh dang, well that sucks.

2) Grind lothric knights at high wall for small shards, grind lothric knights at lothric castle for large shards, loot chunks from the ground/enemies around lothric castle

Ahhhhh so it's more just taking advantage of the fact you have the later game open to farm. Must be kinda rough at first. Thanks!

lol I saw the original, thanks anyway. I'd have kept it up because a few people were asking about how to "unlock the true power" of the swordsmaster. :D

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

NTT posted:

Well boys, I put about 140 hours into this game and what's really killed my interest for now is the fact that bluecopping is so utterly broken. I've already tried two different invader gimmicks, 3 sunbro gimmicks, and about 3 other assorted characters. I spent 4 hours prepping a character for bluecopping and sat in a variety of places with +0 and +2 weapons, around level 17 or so. For hours. Wake me up when they patch something good. Shame the game's engine runs so well.

Try bumping up your SL a bit higher? To like 20, or mid 20s. I get them decently in the Undead Settlement... (not if I could only get better at pvp :smith:)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Skull Knight posted:

Try bumping up your SL a bit higher? To like 20, or mid 20s. I get them decently in the Undead Settlement... (not if I could only get better at pvp :smith:)

It's not a matter of level range, because 17 with +0-+2 should put you in a very wide range for bluecopping. It's that their autoinvasion queuing system is loving busted and they haven't made a single comment about it (presumably because it primarily appears to be a PC issue).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Vermain posted:

(presumably because it primarily appears to be a PC issue).

Bluecops are definitely an across the board issue.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It has nothing to do with ports or internet connection either, all of mine are open and my connection is quite solid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CRAYON posted:

Bluecops are definitely an across the board issue.

Then that's even more bizarrely negligent. Something so serious like "a good portion of the systems running this game cannot actually access a major online feature" should have been caught in QA.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

Except that's not always the case. Hyper armour seems to start and end at varying times during different attacks with different weapons. Its not a clear cut "you swing something large, it always gives you hyper armour". Examples;

-Invadee 1; guy using a greatsword. Can't land hits on him without also getting hit because despite my hit landing first, it doesn't break his poise and his goes off anyways.
-Invadee 2; guy using a large club. Easily land hits on him because his giant windup doesn't grant him any hyper armour and he gets stunned.

Both of them are using huge weapons with big swings, but one is way more vulnerable than the other for no apparent reason.

I was being obtuse. in general, think of a great weapon attack like a 180 degree arc (like a speedometer). the windup portion of the attack is still vulnerable to being interrupted (usually) but once the attack crosses into the damage dealing section, that's generally where the hyper armor kicks in. you're right that every heavy weapon class (and sometimes variation within heavy weapon classes) is different, but in my anecdotal pvp experience maxing all of the pvp covenants (minus blue cops) that analogy holds true. some weapon or weapon attacks have a longer windup and some of them get to the damage dealing portion faster, but typically once the weapon tells the game "okay I am checking to see if I am hurting what my hitbox is touching" you're in hyper armor mode.

it's what makes it dicey to try and trade hits with someone who is using a weapon that has longer reach or that is from a heavier class than whatever weapon you have equipped. if you're not familiar with where that particular weapon kicks in from "windup" to "hurt you" then it can make deciding when to attack and when to dodge pretty tricky. adding pvp lag into the mix exacerbates things.

that why I said before, my general rule of thumb is that if it looks like my weapon is more anime than my opponent my strategy is to be a lot more aggressive and to try to trade hits into them, and if their weapon looks more anime then I know I need to try to dodge and weave more.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

It has nothing to do with ports or internet connection either, all of mine are open and my connection is quite solid.

oh I bet its a port issue

porting code from DS1 to DS3

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Kild posted:

estoc doesn't have any bleed. you're looking at critical dude.

WEll poo poo that's one mystery down.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Bleed damage is how much damage they take when it pops. The amount of bleed stacks per hit is an invisible number that is differs for each weapon.

But they take a lot more than 36? Ten times that much at least?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm level 48 and invading in the catacombs. a guy whiffs several swings, but they still build up bleed (is this how it normally works..) and when the bleed meter builds up after three swings it tears off 80 percent of my hp bar. not an exaggeration. is there any way that that is legit and if so how do I do it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

GulagDolls posted:

i'm level 48 and invading in the catacombs. a guy whiffs several swings, but they still build up bleed (is this how it normally works..) and when the bleed meter builds up after three swings it tears off 80 percent of my hp bar. not an exaggeration. is there any way that that is legit and if so how do I do it.

It hit on his end, so after his hit report to your client, it applied the bleed special effect.

Special effects are basically "gently caress what state you say you're in, apply this to yourself now."

It's why most hackers who apply effects can't defend against their own medicine, they don't actually know what they're doing and how to make the game not apply an effect to you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I keep invading and getting so owned. It's like they are hyper coordinated in taking down not only me but all invaders. It's so weird. Also how do people swing forever and I never can get out of it but I hit twice and that's it. Grrrr

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Krinkle posted:

WEll poo poo that's one mystery down.

But they take a lot more than 36? Ten times that much at least?

percentage.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hour of grinding silver knights at almost 400 item find while watching TV, no ears. :negative:

Edit: And still no blue summon either, at level 95 with a +9 item.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'm confused by Hollow infusion ><

I think I understand that correctly - please let me know if I'm wrong. With that in mind, and for those that have done Luck builds:

1. Is poison worth a poo poo at all? At 7 (base) luck, you can shoot dozens of arrows into things and all you are doing is wasting money on arrows that never build up enough to proc poison. If it does proc, is it decent, or is it pretty much like running in the swamp where it's never going to actually kill anything?

2. There are not many weapons with innate bleed. I haven't tried using a weapon infused with bleed because I just haven't done a luck build - I also haven't tried that infusion on multislash weapons like twinblades & such. Is there any point to infusing a weapon with bleed, on a luck build, or is it better just to stick with the innate bleed weapons and infuse them with hollow?

3. Is the Luck damage scaling comparable to STR or DEX scaling (say, if you were at 40 luck, using two hollow +10 weapons, you would be running buffed to 50 luck - is this going to bring benefits comparable to 50 STR or DEX)?

4. Oh...one last thing...sorry. I just don't post too much in the thread and I want to get all of my questions out of the way. Do you lose the coiled sword fragment and/or the red eye orb when going to NG+? It's no big deal to get the orb again, but trading in that coiled sword fragment is mighty tempting, as I'm upgrading a poo poo-ton of weapons to +9 or +4 special (there are a lot to try out) before I go to NG+ with this character, and having that one last slab would mean one more max upgrade that I could really use.

1. Poison is bad due to it back to being slow. Not worth.

2. Infusing a weapon with bleed kills the damage and makes it rather bad for anything without a huge amount of HP (i.e. bosses). So no, the bleed infusion is kind of bad (apparently the Brigand Twindaggers, which have rather poor damage anyway, are super good at building up bleed when infused with that so they might be the only exception). Hollow is just straight better since it lets you do actual damage with the weapons. Some good inherent bleed weapons are Corvian Great Scythe, any of the infuseable katanas, and Warden Twinblades.

3. Luck is weaker than str/dex in general, probably to compensate for the increased bleed and poison (lol) effectiveness. That said, with the middling str/dex required to wield some of these innate bleed weapons, plus the 30-40 Luck you'll have, your damage won't be too much shy from what it would be with high str/dex. High enough to be noticeable, but not enough to make the weapons unusable for dealing non-bleed damage.

Also protip: at +5, hollow weapons give +5 to Luck if you're sufficiently hollowed. So if you put a hollow shield or fist weapon (they're good at parrying) you can get a nice +10 Luck which means you only need to level up to 30.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think the only upshot of poison, is people with weak psyches start freaking out and going HAM when you hit them with it

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Castor Poe posted:

I give up, how do I cheese Nameless King?

Summon someone who's a sorcerer. Proceed to watch a light show and be amazed at how quickly the fight ends.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Well I literally followed the cheat sheet guide to keep Greirat alive. He's dead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

oh I bet its a port issue

porting code from DS1 to DS3

Heyooooooooo :darksouls:

homeless poster posted:

I was being obtuse. in general, think of a great weapon attack like a 180 degree arc (like a speedometer). the windup portion of the attack is still vulnerable to being interrupted (usually) but once the attack crosses into the damage dealing section, that's generally where the hyper armor kicks in.

There are still lots of huge weapons that have zero hyper armor though, from my experience (PvE). It's super frustrating when you're a millisecond away from smacking the enemy, your weapon is already touching their model and... someone farts in your general direction and you're staggered. Poise, I never appreciated you in the previous games is this why you left me? :(

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Genocyber posted:

hollowed weapons and luck

I tried a luck & hollow build and it seemed like a pointless gimmick outside anri's sword. which is fine because straight sword superiority and I guess it's nice running around with a higher than normal item find, but it really locks you into using 1 weapon (or maybe 2 - 3 depending on whether you really katanas) whereas doing a normal STR or DEX build lets you play with a lot more toys as you find them. also you either have to know what to do to get anri's sword ahead of time on the road of sacrifices or wait until you're like 2/3 of the way thru the game to get the one weapon that the entire build kind of works with.

I wouldn't recommend the build as anything other than a novelty.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hollow grave warden blades with carthus rogue is choice

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Can Lloyd's Talismans affect allied phantoms? I got summoned in Irithyll and it was one of those where they guy didn't have the shortcut open and wanted us to clear the drat level for him. He had a sunbro wearing the mimic hat who was being annoying and he kept flasking when his HP got low of course. One time his HP was really low so I nailed him with a talisman and he ran around like crazy then he died. I didn't notice if the visual effect was on him so maybe he was just out of estus, but if it does work, awesome.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Something kind of odd happened to me just a moment ago during PVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebM2fFGInm8

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The Profaned Greatsword is my jam. I found the weapon that has finally replaced my Broadsword.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SnipeShow posted:

Well I literally followed the cheat sheet guide to keep Greirat alive. He's dead.

I'm following the same one and he lived, now I'm scared of talking to him in case I accidentally click,"Sure go try and steal from the unassailable castle of doom!" :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ It's beneficial to send him on the suicide trip.

SnipeShow posted:

Where did you send him? He always dies when sent to Lothric Castle if that's what you think you messed up on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its cruel as hell that you can only get certain items by getting him killed in Lothric :(

I want Greirat to live forever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

^^^ It's beneficial to send him on the suicide trip.

Really? Why? I thought his ash didn't unlock anything new that you couldn't get from him after he plunders Irythil.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Just a sidebar - there's some great YouTube videos of Mark Hamil at conventions doing the joker voice. THis is before he lost a bunch of weight for Star Wars so it's really weird.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? Why? I thought his ash didn't unlock anything new that you couldn't get from him after he plunders Irythil.

He will have items he had plundered before he dies in the third location. Similarly, if he dies at Irythil, his ashes will yield the poo poo he would have brought back I think.

But yeah, I had Onion bro too far and Patches just refused to give me the dialogue to save him. So he died.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eat.

poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm no From lore detective so this might be babies first interpretation. But is the 'first flame' literally The Sun?

DS1 intro is fighting dragons in stormy cloudiness, DS3 ends with the sun dark signed and melting away to the age of dark.

Is this so obvious that nobody actually states it in any lore videos or things I've read? It's been years since I read DS1 lore.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I can't make the dragon head look good with any armor. :( In DS1, the face was kind of goofy but the neck was thick enough to make it kind of fit well with some bigger pieces of armor, but it's too thin in this one and it makes everything look off.

The body, though, holy poo poo does it look bad. It's basically a zombie body with long nails and a short tail.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

I can't make the dragon head look good with any armor. :( In DS1, the face was kind of goofy but the neck was thick enough to make it kind of fit well with some bigger pieces of armor, but it's too thin in this one and it makes everything look off.

The body, though, holy poo poo does it look bad. It's basically a zombie body with long nails and a short tail.

Wear it with fatman armour and pretend you're a mech dragon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cyberventurer posted:

There's some lore on dragon-related items suggesting that people who take / long for the Path of the Dragon are idiots mutilating themselves in pursuit of a goal they'll never reach.

Tailbone Spear posted:

Twisted spear favored by the wretched, failed prisioners of Irithyll Dungeon.

Crafted from a feeble tailbone, and seen as a sign of the dragons. Their screams are oft heard inside the dungon, as they naively mutilate their unworthy flesh.

Plus, I mean, look what happened to Oceiros.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 4, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I got my Estoc to +8 and made it sharp. It's pretty cool I think.

Then, I tried for 20 minutes to do a PVP. I had 11 CRO's and now I have 4. I have 0 pale tougnes.

The first three fights were so unbearably laggy that the guys were just warping around.

The next 5 fights I either invaded at the precise moment the jerks were going into a critical boss fight so I was returned.

One I lost.

Two I got so bored trying to find the guys I just quit.

PvP is really lovely in this game and should probably just be forgotten about *entirely* so the development team can focus on the true game. The singleplayer/co-op experience.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Maybe try with a plus 10 weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Maybe try with a plus 10 weapon.

More like get level ~65 with a +6 weapon and invade in Irithyll.

The whole game should work like the Watchdogs / Faithful areas do, especially if defender covenants also actually worked.