Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Technogeek posted:

What the hell does browntown even think an expansion is?

I kind of agree? I know I'm taking a break, it feels like 2.0-2.5 with +100 to the ilvl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's all just confirmation bias. The 'average' EXDR run has been 30 minutes since before 2.4. Sometimes you get bad people, sometimes you get good people. Most people don't talk because talking slows down their gameplay and everybody wants their tomes and maybe greens.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It takes like 5 minutes to write a sentence on ps4 pad unless you've used it a lot

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Maybe they want wow stlye expansions where they completely revamp the combat system for no reason and ignore feedback leading to things like arms warriors losing dps if they use slam, or hamstring being a dps increase.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

mallamp posted:

It takes like 5 minutes to write a sentence on ps4 pad unless you've used it a lot

Add a bluetooth keyboard, plug in a usb keyboard, or open chat and hit R1 to make dirty auto-translate puns

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've taken to opening instances with {Hello!} {poppet} myself, despite having a fully functionable keyboard

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Technogeek posted:

What the hell does browntown even think an expansion is?

You have some quality posts sometimes, there's no point in reaching for quantity

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

megalodong posted:

Maybe they want wow stlye expansions where they completely revamp the combat system for no reason and ignore feedback leading to things like arms warriors losing dps if they use slam, or hamstring being a dps increase.

Because everyone loves the heavensward style of every dps class now having a refreshable cooldown they have to keep up it's so creative

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
unironically agree

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

It's all just confirmation bias. The 'average' EXDR run has been 30 minutes since before 2.4. Sometimes you get bad people, sometimes you get good people. Most people don't talk because talking slows down their gameplay and everybody wants their tomes and maybe greens.

I'm just happy that I get 18 minute ExDRs way more often than I get 45 minute ones. Queueing as DPS to ensure that somebody is actually hurting things probably helps, though. Yes that means the time I shave off the run is taken up by the time waiting in queue. :shrug:

I always figured that the silence of DF groups is in part because of all the console players on Aether who don't use keyboards. I always advise getting cheap wireless kbd even ahead of "always do your MSQ first" but I can only reach so many people.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't wait until FanFest in October when they announce they are dropping all support for the PS3 version because gently caress still supporting that system.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I can't wait until FanFest in October when they announce they are dropping all support for the PS3 version because gently caress still supporting that system.
The only good post in several pages.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Because everyone loves the heavensward style of every dps class now having a refreshable cooldown they have to keep up it's so creative

FFXIV is a dps oriented game and the refreshable buff cooldowns are honestly a good way of emphasizing the need to play aggressively. I'm personally of the opinion that creativity in class design is overrated compared to making something that is actually somewhat challenging to optimize.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Mordiceius posted:

Listening to PS3 players get mad at PS4/PC players for not holding S or A ranks for ten minutes is hilarious.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In my experience it's been more about people getting mad that the hunt mark was pulled goddamn instantly so that you already had to be in the zone and flying toward it when the announcements went out, in order to get there in time. (Basically the exact same hyperbolic nonsensical "this is the only other solution besides waiting forever" bullshit as mentioned earlier today for 24-man boss pulling tactics.)

I mean, yeah, there are a handful of people who are extremely slow to arrive and get irrationally salty that people didn't wait for them. But I've seen a lot less of that than I've seen of instant pulls.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Oneavi posted:

FFXIV is a dps oriented game and the refreshable buff cooldowns are honestly a good way of emphasizing the need to play aggressively. I'm personally of the opinion that creativity in class design is overrated compared to making something that is actually somewhat challenging to optimize.

The addition of Enochian to Black Mages was good and once people got over the initial shock and tried playing with it at 60 (in addition the buffs to it) made the job a little more challenging.

Now Machinist, what the hell were they thinking when designing that job for 60. Building it all around Wildfire and having upteen oGCDs, I wish I could enjoy that job cause GUNS but I really hope they don't continue that route with the 4.0 DPS job. If anything I would like to see Red Mage as a melee mage with ebb and flow of BLM fire/ice system.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

The jobs they've teased so far have been samurai, red mage, and blue mage--possibly gambler, if that's what Yoshi-p was teasing by wearing the gambler's outfit the other day a la how he teased machinist. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, since I don't remember where I heard it, but I was under the impression that the dev team said that three jobs for Heavensward was too much and they'd like to do two for 4.0. Additionally, they've had some difficulty significantly differentiating how the tanks play (as well as the healers, but less so), so my guess for what's coming next would be maybe...samurai as DPS, red mage as healer? I could easily see samurai as a tank, too, or red mage as a DPS, so who even knows :confused:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been meaning to post this. This happened once while running the Feast:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The jobs they've teased so far have been samurai, red mage, and blue mage--possibly gambler, if that's what Yoshi-p was teasing by wearing the gambler's outfit the other day a la how he teased machinist. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, since I don't remember where I heard it, but I was under the impression that the dev team said that three jobs for Heavensward was too much and they'd like to do two for 4.0. Additionally, they've had some difficulty significantly differentiating how the tanks play (as well as the healers, but less so), so my guess for what's coming next would be maybe...samurai as DPS, red mage as healer? I could easily see samurai as a tank, too, or red mage as a DPS, so who even knows :confused:

Anyone saying we're getting those three jobs is just speculating.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I main WAR and I am starting to get some of the Lore pieces, what Materia should I throw in my equipment and accessories? I'll probably never get any Midas Savage gear so this will be my BiS.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

nuru posted:

Anyone saying we're getting those three jobs is just speculating.
They straight up teased red and blue mage in the developer room event, and iirc Yoshi-P had said somewhere that SAM was on the short list for Heavensward but didn't make it in.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

J3ng4 posted:

I main WAR and I am starting to get some of the Lore pieces, what Materia should I throw in my equipment and accessories? I'll probably never get any Midas Savage gear so this will be my BiS.

Strength on your accessories. Critical on your left side unless it's capped in which case determination.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

J3ng4 posted:

Right side: Strength 5. Splurge on these, by which I mean take your weekly tier 5 materia from Void Ark and use it for that instead of selling it.

Left side: Crit 4 (or crit 5 if you want to splurge) on items that aren't capped on crit. Otherwise if I remember my stat weights right, SkS > Det for tier 4 but Det > SkS for tier 5. (Basically Det is weighted higher per point, but not enough higher to make up for the smaller amount of points you get at tier 4.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vil posted:

Right side: Strength 5. Splurge on these, by which I mean take your weekly tier 5 materia from Void Ark and use it for that instead of selling it.

Left side: Crit 4 (or crit 5 if you want to splurge) on items that aren't capped on crit. Otherwise if I remember my stat weights right, SkS > Det for tier 4 but Det > SkS for tier 5. (Basically Det is weighted higher per point, but not enough higher to make up for the smaller amount of points you get at tier 4.)

Is this the same melding strat for all tanks, or is that WAR specific?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The jobs they've teased so far have been samurai, red mage, and blue mage--possibly gambler, if that's what Yoshi-p was teasing by wearing the gambler's outfit the other day a la how he teased machinist.
He was wearing a cosplay of the dude that walks around in the gold saucer because their presence at niconico choukaigi in makuhari messe was called Makuhari Gold Saucer.
http://www.chokaigi.jp/2016/sp/booth/finalfantasysqueni.html

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is this the same melding strat for all tanks, or is that WAR specific?

The important upshot is that melding strength is really really good (easily stomping secondary alternatives, and being good enough to justify a tier 5 materia), though it's only an option on your accessories.

Crit vs. det vs. skill speed, look up stat weights for the other jobs to confirm, and multiply them out by the number of points of the stat you get on the materia if you're using tier 4 materia (since you can get 6 det but 9 crit/SkS). Tier 5 doesn't have that issue, you get 12 points of any of those.

Accuracy, you probably won't need any with the natural accuracy found on gear. Though of course if you're short, you can shore that up with materia. Parry is, as usual, hot garbage, and spell speed and piety are completely irrelevant.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

As a tank, you want to deal as much damage as you can, so you can generate the most threat/kill bosses faster. Your two main stats are VIT and STR. Since the most recent patch, they both increase your damage by the same amount, but VIT will also give you more HP. When you meld things, you have to watch out to make sure you don't hit the stat caps on items. They are pretty easy to figure out, since they are normally the biggest stat numbers on an item. Armor for every class will have VIT + another main stat maxed out. For tanks, that means both VIT and STR.

The ring and armor up there are maxed out on the fending stat (VIT), and the armor also has its STR stat maxed, as well. Since the ring isn't maxed on STR, you want to meld that as it gives you the most extra damage. The two other stats on those pieces of gear are its substats, and are the main things to worry about melding for armor. The one that is higher will be maxed, while the lower one can still be melded. For example, the ring is maxed on Skill Speed, and the armor is maxed on Determination. Melding substats can be tricky, especially for WARs. In general, tanks want crit, as it gives the most overall damage without spending more TP. However, WAR needs to worry about skill speed break points for stuff like triple fell cleaves. No idea if WARs have to worry about break points with lore gear, though. Like Vil said, things get kinda messy when crit is capped on an item.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WAR doesn't need to worry about skill speed for triple fell cleave unless you're trying to do it without blowing all your cooldowns. I think it's like 2.4 second recast buys you an extra GCD that you can either use to build a stack of Abandon or pop a Berserk'd Fracture at the very end.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 4, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I kind of agree? I know I'm taking a break, it feels like 2.0-2.5 with +100 to the ilvl.

I don't see how it's any different from any MMO expansion ever, other than being way better polished and not making GBS threads up the servers like every other game does?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

I don't see how it's any different from any MMO expansion ever, other than being way better polished and not making GBS threads up the servers like every other game does?

That's exactly what's confusing me about the post I quoted.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Verranicus posted:

The Jump to Lightspeed expansion in SWG was pretty cool. Shame about the "Combat Upgrade" that came later, though. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Would SAM be a tank or DPS?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You can do triple Fell Cleave without 9 Berserk easily. You just lose a Fracture.

I've gotten 9 Berserk consistently at 2.44 GCD or 2.43. I tend to stack skill speed to make up for latency hiccups or for times when I can't hit every GCD immediately and need a tiny bit more leeway to get the 9th hit. You have to use a defensive CD to get triple Fell Cleave during Berserk anyway until you get up to 10 Berserk.

I think 10 Berserk is a real thing that we'll be seeing consistently in 3.4 because of the general increase in skill speed and and Arrow from AST. I've gotten 10 Berserk before in random runs when the AST just decides to throw a buffed Arrow on me, but at some point there'll be enough skill speed that it can happen with a royal road'd one probably. At that point, you can get triple Fell Cleave without using Vengeance or Raw Intuition, and that's a pretty big deal.

4/5 stacks, heavy swing primed, Berserk, Fell Cleave (1), Infuriate, Fell Cleave (2), 2-3 of a combo (3,4), 1-2-3 combo (5-7), 1-2 combo (8.9), Fell Cleave (10).

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Would SAM be a tank or DPS?

It was on the table for Heavensward, but they did Dark Knight instead. Which is to say, they were designing a new tank class and weren't sure until late in the process whether that class would be called Samurai or Dark Knight, and they went with Dark Knight. So if we do see a Samurai, it won't be using that previous design work, because Dark Knight already got all that. So ... it's completely up in the air. Could be anything.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
My uncle who works at SEGA told me that they're going to add Geomander, Dog* and Fightmaster. Healer, DPS and tank, respectively.

*loose translation

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

:shittydog: fighters are in the game as Verminion though.

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 4, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

kafziel posted:

It was on the table for Heavensward, but they did Dark Knight instead. Which is to say, they were designing a new tank class and weren't sure until late in the process whether that class would be called Samurai or Dark Knight, and they went with Dark Knight. So if we do see a Samurai, it won't be using that previous design work, because Dark Knight already got all that. So ... it's completely up in the air. Could be anything.

I thought the whole Samurai coming soon thing was just as a bunch of nerds reading too much into a folder they saw on Sokens PC during a livestream. It could be totally unrelated, so why are people acting as if it's a sure thing?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I thought the whole Samurai coming soon thing was just as a bunch of nerds reading too much into a folder they saw on Sokens PC during a livestream. It could be totally unrelated, so why are people acting as if it's a sure thing?

YoshiP has stated before that he wants to add Samurai and Red Mage to the game.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yet people seem to never be able to source these statements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My uncle works at Square Enix and let me try lvl 70 red mage prototype and boy was it fun. Also yeti is the new tank class, unlocked through storyline in Mists of Moghome expansion.

• Locked thread