Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

They should have also changed the tint of the paneling from gold to red. That would have made it even better.

Still stellar, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a mod that lets you rename controlled enemies

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I am compelled to make this weapon work somehow.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
My God, Gatecrasher always strikes me with how horrible it is. A ridiculously un-fun mission where you can be one-shot-killed relatively easily if even a single thing goes wrong, and there is absolutely no reason to accept anything less than a perfect outcome. I'm all for a certain element of randomness, but my God does that stupid loving op always come down to a dice roll.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I've done gatecrasher 3 times now on commander, each time flawless. There's no timer, slow down and take your loving time jesus.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I resign myself to a casualty or two if there isn't a good building nearby to camp on. On legendary you're better off just rolling with a soldier or two in the medbay/dead and not fretting over taking a hit which is really hard to completely prevent. The real breakpoint is the 2nd retaliation mission and there's plenty of time for that to smooth out.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Emong posted:

Don't miss!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Emong posted:

Stand right next to something and laugh at the instant gib. reload. repeat

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

FoolyCharged posted:

Stand right next to something and laugh at the 90% miss. die. lose the mission

The more likely occurrence.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Emong posted:

In my last game I got this fucker.

(Superior exmag was added by me later, through Advanced Modular Weapons.)

+25 aim means the aim penalty from Deadeye is irrelevant, and combined with flechette ammo (from another mod adding more ammo types) I can do 26 damage, up into the 30s if I crit. Archons get one-shotted. :getin:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Serephina posted:

I think I've done gatecrasher 3 times now on commander, each time flawless. There's no timer, slow down and take your loving time jesus.

It can get rather hairy when both pods spawn on the statue itself - no way to avoid activating both at once.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jesus Christ bladestorm. It's missed 9 out of the past 10 attempts, and I'm getting really tired of these loving chrysalids putting my ranger in the medbay for weeks at a time because she can't swing a sword.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

Jesus Christ bladestorm. It's missed 9 out of the past 10 attempts, and I'm getting really tired of these loving chrysalids putting my ranger in the medbay for weeks at a time because she can't swing a sword.

That just sounds like bad, bad luck. Invest in some Hellweave vests.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Speedball posted:

That just sounds like bad, bad luck. Invest in some more grenade launchers.

fixed for you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are Hellweave vests really that good vs. chryssalids? They don't prevent you from being poisoned, and the tiny bit of damage they deal doesn't seem likely to save you any actions anyway. I feel like I'd rather just bring a scanner in that slot and at least get a chance of killing them before they hit you.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Are Hellweave vests really that good vs. chryssalids? They don't prevent you from being poisoned, and the tiny bit of damage they deal doesn't seem likely to save you any actions anyway. I feel like I'd rather just bring a scanner in that slot and at least get a chance of killing them before they hit you.

They're supposed to set the chryssalid on fire, which prevents them from attacking more once they're burning, but you're just going to shoot them after anyway and also you still get cut, and it takes an item slot

so no

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Incendiary grenades then. Sets 'em on fire, which neuters them, and that's before they're able to get to you.

Or flamethrowers. Really, just burn everything.

I wish there was one psychic power for burning stuff with your mind.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Speedball posted:

Incendiary grenades then. Sets 'em on fire, which neuters them, and that's before they're able to get to you.

Or flamethrowers. Really, just burn everything.

I wish there was one psychic power for burning stuff with your mind.

No good against ambushing lone 'lids.

If you're not on a timer then you can sometimes get away with scouting in reverse - overwatch everyone else then move your scout forward (not advised if there are other pods active and your scout isn't concealed). Otherwise it's battle scanners, or dominate some other ayyy for a disposable scout.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Better vests or more grenade launchers would be nice, except it turns out I only started counting one mission before the point of no return, so it's too late do anything except pray :v:.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm surprised they've added the Alien Hunters achievements to Steam but still haven't given any news about it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

There are no good vests.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

DoctorTristan posted:

No good against ambushing lone 'lids.

If you're not on a timer then you can sometimes get away with scouting in reverse - overwatch everyone else then move your scout forward (not advised if there are other pods active and your scout isn't concealed). Otherwise it's battle scanners, or dominate some other ayyy for a disposable scout.

In my experience, chryssalids only show up on:

- terror missions
- skyranger defense
- Gateway mission
- Final mission
- Random missions IF the Infestation dark event is active

Terror missions have a pseudo-timer in the form of civilians, which is when they're at their worst (god forbid a civilian gets mauled by one and turns into a cocoon). The rest are untimed except for infestation.

When I had Infestation active, it would only spawn two ambush-style chryssalids, and that's it. You can vaguely tell where they are whenever they move in the fog of war, and if you keep in mind that there's only two of them, you can breathe a little easier. Admittedly, I was playing on Normal difficulty. I imagine it's still two on the harder difficulties though.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

many johnnys posted:

In my experience, chryssalids only show up on:

- terror missions
- skyranger defense
- Gateway mission
- Final mission
- Random missions IF the Infestation dark event is active

Terror missions have a pseudo-timer in the form of civilians, which is when they're at their worst (god forbid a civilian gets mauled by one and turns into a cocoon). The rest are untimed except for infestation.

When I had Infestation active, it would only spawn two ambush-style chryssalids, and that's it. You can vaguely tell where they are whenever they move in the fog of war, and if you keep in mind that there's only two of them, you can breathe a little easier. Admittedly, I was playing on Normal difficulty. I imagine it's still two on the harder difficulties though.

I think I've encountered them on supply raids too, but come to think of it I've never seen them on timed missions. I think their burrowing ability is only supposed to work on soft ground, so makes sense that you don't find them in cities?

Definitely not limited to just two on higher difficulties though. The Gateway mission on my last Commander run had six of the little shits.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

They should add another item slot exclusively for vests

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

DoctorTristan posted:

Definitely not limited to just two on higher difficulties though. The Gateway mission on my last Commander run had six of the little shits.

Nono, I mean if you have Infestation active, there will be two burrowed-style chryssalids on normal missions. The gateway mission has a shitload of them, and terror / skyranger defense can have a bunch as well. It's a nasty dark event.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 3, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm surprised they've added the Alien Hunters achievements to Steam but still haven't given any news about it.

Looks like we get custom armor with new powers for killing "ruler" aliens, except "ruler" aliens may run away when we see them. Metal Slimes.

aeigiven
May 31, 2014
I've been playing Legendary Ironman with 12 soldiers in a squad (and Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential on) and I've found it actually quite fun. Delightfully different experience where losses are acceptable, but you still feel them. Long War Toolbox is legit in my book.

I'm not quite sure I should be using the phrase "balanced" but it certainly feels better to play than normal Legendary Ironman and the game isn't completely broken in your favor. Failing to eliminate a pod the turn it activates usually means a dead squaddie or some wounds. It compensates well for the increased times for everything on the strategic layer. That said, if you want the stress of every decision weighing on you, this is not the variant for you.

Admittedly, if you play optimally with Stasis and whatever, I expect you can just steamroll the aliens. I also haven't hit late game yet, so I can't say if the difficulty curve just drops off a cliff at that point.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So I was using a mod for more than 15 default ability icons, because my psi ops with leadership abilities and items breaks that icon limit, and suddenly that mod is gone. Is there another to replace it anywhere?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

TheSpiritFox posted:

So I was using a mod for more than 15 default ability icons, because my psi ops with leadership abilities and items breaks that icon limit, and suddenly that mod is gone. Is there another to replace it anywhere?

Author of it ragequitted the internet as far as I know, but you can get a backup of it here.

@aeigiven re: the 12 soldiers, yeah it's going cause difficulty to drop like a rock on Jupiter if it's the only major adjustment you've made to the game. You definitely will want to look at the workshop for some mid/lategame focused mods.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope that MEC DLC comes out soon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If that DLC is going to be about SHIVs imma be disappointed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jack Trades posted:

It could be about both, I'd be ok with AI SHIVS that were nameable/modifiable so Johnny-5 could get input on putting tread to alien rear end. :patriot:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Jack Trades posted:

Xcom 1s shivs were adorable and if they give us customizable bouncy robo tanks I will be so happy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Exposure posted:

Author of it ragequitted the internet as far as I know, but you can get a backup of it here.

@aeigiven re: the 12 soldiers, yeah it's going cause difficulty to drop like a rock on Jupiter if it's the only major adjustment you've made to the game. You definitely will want to look at the workshop for some mid/lategame focused mods.

hahahahh

quote:

The creator of this mod was making another mod as well, one that was gonna add the Xenomorph from the Alien movies into the game. Somebody posted in that mod's Nexus thread asking him to make a Spider-man enemy next, and I guess the creator thought he was being made fun of? Apparently he wrote something like "blame [the guy who asked for Spider-man] for this," then deleted all his accounts and mods.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

drat that's hilarious.

So who's making the spider man mod now? That sounds rad.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Wow, someone got a crit on their sarcasm roll.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The DLC is probably gonna have MEC-equivalents since they said it's a new character class with its own skills. That said... I do miss me some SHIVs.

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

(Superior exmag was added by me later, through Advanced Modular Weapons.)

Is there a mod that gives you weapons with random mods and a name? I'm a little confused.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

sonofsunaj posted:

Is there a mod that gives you weapons with random mods and a name? I'm a little confused.

It's called Grimy's Loot Mod. It adds Advent Lockboxes to enemy loot drops, and they have named weapons inside. It also adds more varied mods, and lets you mod Armor, Pistols, Grenade Launchers, Swords and Gremlins too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speedball posted:

The DLC is probably gonna have MEC-equivalents since they said it's a new character class with its own skills. That said... I do miss me some SHIVs.

Maybe you put the brain in a robot body? That's what I'm hoping for.