Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat Orbeck way to use your last breath to make me feel super bad about murdering you, what a downer dude jeez

e: his ashes are sad too :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Does anyone have the summon ranges for red soapstones? Like at sl80 what level range can see my sign, and what level range are the signs that I'm seeing?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I did some Experimentation with the Bandit Twindaggers earlier today.

Initial results: they're bad, even infused with bleed. You can't use Carthus Rouge on them once infused, so whatever advantage they have in bleeding speed is kind of nullified. Bleed is literally all they do, because their AR is incredibly low. They're also tiny and have no reach and the dualwielding combo is actually really slow to start off for a dagger type weapon. Shields stop them cold, because even if you're two handing them, they just bounce off so you can't really just inflict bleed by hitting through block a ton. For PvE, they're basically useless, and for PvP, well, it seems like a risky proposition when a number of good bleed weapons that actually do Damage exist. I'll tinker with them some more to see if I'm missing some arcane secret.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chard posted:

drat Orbeck way to use your last breath to make me feel super bad about murdering you, what a downer dude jeez

Did you know you don't even have to murder him? If you purchase all his spells and then backtrack through the Grand Archives after killing the boss, you can find his corpse and ashes and hand them in to Yuria, no questions asked.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cyberventurer posted:

I hope the video stats on Twitch are off and you don't actually stream at 8,500 kbps. :wtc:

Is that bad, I dunno

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PvP for me has been nothing but goobers in full Fallen Knight armor with the Dark Sword rolling around chugging Estus, and mostly only occurring when I'm doing co-op with someone. I'm sure there's actually some decent meta-game in it, but thus far this game's own NPC invaders and other hostiles are more interesting than other players have yet to be.

Anyway, check me out.

(yeah I'm wearing Fallen Knight gloves but hey, those weren't peed in and the metallic bits match my Xanthous and Bandit duds)

Melanion posted:

This is Elias of Thorolund, herald of the Way of White.

Roleplay Souls is good Souls.

I don't have a detailed backstory. My character is Bogatyr Maral, knight-errant of the Souls-land equivalent of Central Asia and I dunno, whatever else. "Bogatyr" was a good way of getting around the censorship of "Knight" and the rest just filled in.

Anime Souls

Dazzling Addar posted:

Initial results: they're bad, even infused with bleed. You can't use Carthus Rouge on them once infused, so whatever advantage they have in bleeding speed is kind of nullified. Bleed is literally all they do, because their AR is incredibly low. They're also tiny and have no reach and the dualwielding combo is actually really slow to start off for a dagger type weapon. Shields stop them cold, because even if you're two handing them, they just bounce off so you can't really just inflict bleed by hitting through block a ton. For PvE, they're basically useless, and for PvP, well, it seems like a risky proposition when a number of good bleed weapons that actually do Damage exist. I'll tinker with them some more to see if I'm missing some arcane secret.

Actually glad someone else did this. I tried using those because they have such a neat look, but they just got outclassed by nigh unto everything else, including my now-beloved Sharp Sellsword Twinblades, which handily outdamage curved greatswords with the same infusion and look cool as hell.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

Is that bad, I dunno

that is a lot of kbps to be streamin' at

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hot drat, on my fifth or so try on nameless King a sunbro managed to stagger him twice in a minute, made that poo poo easy. How the hell did he do it

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

Is that bad, I dunno

That's almost 8 times higher than my max download rate. No wonder I couldn't see more than a single frame of your stream before it'd buffer forever. I didn't know upload speeds could go that high. :smith:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fight clubs and honor duels are stupid. Engage in asymmetrical invasions like civilized folk and stop pretending you can balance the game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dazzling Addar posted:

Yup. They are terrible. The scaling is so bad that for some builds, bare hands will literally be more damaging. Sure, can technically be faster, but what the poo poo?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Chard posted:

why would you ever murder him. just buy all his stuff and get all the rewards AND his ashes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Ugh, it's so goddamn frustrating trying to get any fun pvp out of Red Orbing. It's always a clusterfuck of straight sword staggers until you die. PvP got annihilated in this game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Hot drat, on my fifth or so try on nameless King a sunbro managed to stagger him twice in a minute, made that poo poo easy. How the hell did he do it

First part or second? I assume you mean second. I always use big heavy 2H weapons (til this playthrough) and was able to stun him pretty easy too. I cant explain it in a technical way but seeing how enemies react to me now with just a straight sword compared to my first couple playthroughs mainly with the Dragonslayers Greataxe I guess its all about how much damage you can deal with a single blow

codo27 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 4, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Ugh, it's so goddamn frustrating trying to get any fun pvp out of Red Orbing. It's always a clusterfuck of straight sword staggers until you die. PvP got annihilated in this game.

It's Good Tbh Fam.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So.. anyone got those red soapstone ranges? 😅

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mazed posted:

PvP for me has been nothing but goobers in full Fallen Knight armor with the Dark Sword rolling around chugging Estus, and mostly only occurring when I'm doing co-op with someone. I'm sure there's actually some decent meta-game in it, but thus far this game's own NPC invaders and other hostiles are more interesting than other players have yet to be.

Anyway, check me out.

(yeah I'm wearing Fallen Knight gloves but hey, those weren't peed in and the metallic bits match my Xanthous and Bandit duds)

Literally the same get-up my character wore for half the game, piece for piece. Same RP conceit too lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chard posted:

He is a very sad man. Did you find out more about his life from chatting with him? He's basically the griggs dude from the first dark souls except not an rear end in a top hat

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

net cafe scandal posted:

It's Good Tbh Fam.

hate to break it to you, its bad

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

lite_sleepr posted:

Reallly need someone to talk me out of buying the hollowslayer.

I don't know why I want it, but I do.

I built one to +10 on my first playthrough to see how it was. It's bad, really low damage and can't be infused OR buffed. A PVE weapon that is worse than other non-PVE weapons in any category. The only thing it has going for it is the L2-R1 auto shield break, but why not just use a kick (kick is faster)? Prime example of an over-balanced DS2 weapon that simply did not survive the transition from DS2 (in DS2 it was an ok offhand for the dual wielding/powerstance moveset because of it's weight I believe, which is not in DS3.)

Literally an oversized bottle-opener.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
New favorite cosplay; just a guy wearing full Solaire armour but as his character was as fat as possible. Named "Too Much Soup".

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Nuebot posted:

He is a very sad man. Did you find out more about his life from chatting with him? He's basically the griggs dude from the first dark souls except not an rear end in a top hat

His story ends on an up note if you do his quest line. He surpasses all the wannabes who cast him out and fulfills his desire to be a true sorcerer, learning the deepest magics in the universe.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nathilus posted:

His story ends on an up note if you do his quest line. He surpasses all the wannabes who cast him out and fulfills his desire to be a true sorcerer, learning the deepest magics in the universe.

Uh, and then he dies in the Grand Archives.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

you're not going to see a lot of people commit to fashion souls until they bring back poise, same for weapon variety

d3's ninja flipping havels is piss pants w/dark swords

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I really appreciate that the Sorcerer's Robes automatically put the hood up even if you're wearing a helmet. The Fallen Knight hood-over-helmet look is pretty cool, pisspants aside.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

At least he went out chasing his dream instead of wallowing in misery.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

Anyway, check me out.

That looks great! I recognise the Xanthous armor and Pyromancer Crown but what's the rest?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took 3 games tonight to run into a guy hacking (he was immune to damage and status effects, so I got to waste a carthus rouge as a phantom). A new record!

e: Why can the lucerne hit me from the opposite direction it is landing

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 4, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Bugblatter posted:

Everyone dies. At least he got what he wanted beforehand.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I built one to +10 on my first playthrough to see how it was. It's bad, really low damage and can't be infused OR buffed. A PVE weapon that is worse than other non-PVE weapons in any category. The only thing it has going for it is the L2-R1 auto shield break, but why not just use a kick (kick is faster)? Prime example of an over-balanced DS2 weapon that simply did not survive the transition from DS2 (in DS2 it was an ok offhand for the dual wielding/powerstance moveset because of it's weight I believe, which is not in DS3.)

Literally an oversized bottle-opener.

On the other hand I think its realyl ggood and the damage is great.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It took 3 games tonight to run into a guy hacking (he was immune to damage and status effects, so I got to waste a carthus rouge as a phantom). A new record!

You have insanely bad PVP luck

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nathilus posted:

You know, it just occurs to me that this above all else seems to be the theme of this game. In the first Dark Souls the NPCs all kind of fell into despair and hollowed or otherwise went mad when you followed their quest lines. In 3, well Hawkwood decides to try and become a dragon and challenges you for the right, Siegward fights his now presumably hollow friend to death which was his sort of last wish. Anri gets her revenge on Aldrich and Sirris slays her crazy grandfather.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Nathilus posted:

Except, surprisingly (if you do his stuff right and aren't devastatingly inept during a certain boss fight), Siegward.

Seriously, that guy comes out and is a complete badass. Minus the odd dungeon cell and "help, I'm trapped naked in a well."

Oh and Patches, as usual, unless you kill him yourself, which was probably the intent anyway.

Your Computer posted:

That looks great! I recognise the Xanthous armor and Pyromancer Crown but what's the rest?

Other than the Fallen Knight gloves (not peed on, as advertised): Bandit pants, Sellsword Twinblades. Also got a Lightning Carthus Curved Greatsword which SHOULD be good thanks to my very high Faith stat, but can never seem to compete with the twinblades, even against supposedly lightning-vulnerable enemies.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did you know you don't even have to murder him? If you purchase all his spells and then backtrack through the Grand Archives after killing the boss, you can find his corpse and ashes and hand them in to Yuria, no questions asked.

Joke's on you then, I handed his ashes to the Handmaid without thinking and then double-checked the plan :shepicide:

e: of course I bought all his poo poo first

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

is there any way to get the darkmoon ears that is more reliable than farming several million souls worth of silver knights from the anor londo bonfire if you are one of the poor fucks for whom the blue cop covenant doesn't do poo poo? the rank 2 reward is the only miracle i am missing and the rank 1 reward is one of the few rings i am missing and i really really want to unlock that poo poo the "correct" way but gently caress you from i have a few hours to play this game each night between my kid going to bed and passing out on my own and i am not grinding this poo poo i will use SAM so help me god.

it's really just grinding out millions of souls on those two loving knights isn't it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nathilus posted:

Cornyx and Karla are just fine at the end of the game, as is Patches. The nun lady even fulfills her dream of becoming a firekeeper if you don't make her go crazy. Andre too, but he's basically a fundamental force, like gravity.

Maybe Yuria counts too? She's pretty happy if you go down her ending route.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deified Data posted:

Literally the same get-up my character wore for half the game, piece for piece. Same RP conceit too lol

It's good. Well done.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Seeing as how I had a five day streak without one of those broken fog wall summons, it is only fair that the one that finally happened today was especially vengeful, courtesy Artoroomba host
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6EmsOiuhs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

Cornyx and Karla are just fine at the end of the game, as is Patches. The nun lady even fulfills her dream of becoming a firekeeper if you don't make her go crazy. Andre too, but he's basically a fundamental force, like gravity.

Maybe Yuria counts too? She's pretty happy if you go down her ending route.

Cornyx's dream was just to have a pupil once more. Karla is entirely speculation but people theorize that she's a shard of manus who embodies loneliness or something, her ashes call her "the spurned" or something. So she's pretty happy just having someone find her and give a poo poo about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So as I understand it, I can't make a hollow weapon until Irithyll Dungeon at the earliest, so how should I spec until then? Just basically run a dex build and make sure to hook up with Rosaria so I can respec as soon as I lay my hands on the profaned coal?