Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does good reader let me reflow/convert 2 column PDFs into a single column for reading? Their website seems to say it does this but with the caveat that it gets extracted as a plain exit file. Could someone do me a favor and tell me what eg PDFs like this one https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.05718 look like if you use the reflow option? I'm assuming the graphs simply just disappear and the math looks like weird lovely symbols.

Looks like yes:

Just two sections. On an iPhone 5S. I think this demonstrates the feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible with iCloud to make a complete duplicate of a calendar? I'm organising a week long trip and have a provisional schedule planned out, but I want to make a copy of that so I can make a bunch of changes in one to see if I can streamline the timetable while not losing the original plan.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it possible with iCloud to make a complete duplicate of a calendar? I'm organising a week long trip and have a provisional schedule planned out, but I want to make a copy of that so I can make a bunch of changes in one to see if I can streamline the timetable while not losing the original plan.

Export it as an ICS and reimport it as a new calendar. If you're on OSX I'm pretty sure the stock calendar application can still do this, not sure about other platforms or phone apps.

E: actually I bet you could select everything and copy it to a new calendar in the web icloud app as well

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Export it as an ICS and reimport it as a new calendar. If you're on OSX I'm pretty sure the stock calendar application can still do this, not sure about other platforms or phone apps.

E: actually I bet you could select everything and copy it to a new calendar in the web icloud app as well
Had to go through the ICS route. Cheers!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I asked in another thread a few days ago and got no response, but how long does it take for a refund on a app to go through? I used most of the credit balance I had on itunes along with 50 cents to cover tax on the credit card. But it been two days since the refund been accepted and the credit hasn't showed up on the store yet. Does it go all back to the credit card or it pops up in three or four days?

[edit] Nevermind it finally showed up after I went to Account Info. Now I can finally grab KotoR with the credit I got back.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 27, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm thinking of buying an iPad Air 2 for school to tie me over until the new Macbook Pros come out. My current Macbook is good for writing but I mainly want the iPad for reading large PDF files. I haven't used OneNote but I heard it's good for making notes which would be useful as I work on my graduate thesis. Do you guys recommend a workflow or some apps for academic research?

I'm also debating whether I should go for a 16 or 64gb. I'm trying to save as much money as I can because I'm most likely dropping 3k on a maxed out 15" rMBP once that comes out. I'm getting the iPad through Apple Refurb.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of buying an iPad Air 2 for school to tie me over until the new Macbook Pros come out. My current Macbook is good for writing but I mainly want the iPad for reading large PDF files. I haven't used OneNote but I heard it's good for making notes which would be useful as I work on my graduate thesis. Do you guys recommend a workflow or some apps for academic research?

I'm also debating whether I should go for a 16 or 64gb. I'm trying to save as much money as I can because I'm most likely dropping 3k on a maxed out 15" rMBP once that comes out. I'm getting the iPad through Apple Refurb.

I found Mendeley to be very useful for organizing journal articles. It's free, syncs to the cloud and has web and desktop clients. As for storage, I don't think 16 GB (12-ish available to the user) is as crippling as a lot of people seem to, but it all depends on how much you want to store locally. I use Spotify and Netflix for music and movies so local storage was never a problem there. App-wise, 16 GB stretches surprisingly far as long as you're not downloading a bunch of huge games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

I'm also debating whether I should go for a 16 or 64gb.

Never ever get a 16Gb iOS device in this day and age. the OS alone takes up nearly 4gb so you'll only have about 11gb free, which gets eaten up so so quickly. Spend the extra few bucks on the 64gb or you'll regret it. This is coming from someone with a 16gb iPad and iPhone. I just switched to a 64gb iPhone and I could never look back.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agreed. This :can: has been discussed endlessly, but it cant be said enough. They should completely phase out the 16GB models. It's really lovely of Apple to have held unto those so long, for the price of the devices and the price of flash, 32GB should be the minimum. They have no excuse.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Weedle posted:

I found Mendeley to be very useful for organizing journal articles.
Cool. I've heard of this and I like that it's free and works across all my devices.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Never ever get a 16Gb iOS device in this day and age. the OS alone takes up nearly 4gb so you'll only have about 11gb free, which gets eaten up so so quickly. Spend the extra few bucks on the 64gb or you'll regret it. This is coming from someone with a 16gb iPad and iPhone. I just switched to a 64gb iPhone and I could never look back.
Yeah, I guess I should get the 64GB since I have a 32GB phone and it's already full. I won't be using the iPad for pictures and video. I wish there was a 32GB option.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If the use case is "reading some PDFs/websites and I absolutely don't care about games or storing music/videos locally" the 16gb will work. Still would recommend the 64 to not hobble yourself though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I have a 16gb phone and love it. Do what you want.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My dad has a 16 GB iPad Air he got at launch and just now it's filling up. He takes a lot of pictures and video but once he uploads it to Facebook he deletes them.

When I check it seems to be Facebook App that is taking up the most space. Once a year I delete it and redownload it and it's fine. What's up with that?

The Milkman posted:

If the use case is "reading some PDFs/websites and I absolutely don't care about games or storing music/videos locally" the 16gb will work. Still would recommend the 64 to not hobble yourself though.
Yeah I don't like iOS games and I stream everything from my plex server. I might go for 64 GB for resale value though.

Housh fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 28, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

When I check it seems to be Facebook App that is taking up the most space. Once a year I delete it and redownload it and it's fine. What's up with that?
The Facebook app is poo poo in every possible way.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I have a 16gb phone and love it. Do what you want.

Rad. Wouldn't it have been cool if it had been 32GB for the same price?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Animal posted:

Rad. Wouldn't it have been cool if it had been 32GB for the same price?

Even better, 1tb. Great dream, martin. Now back to reality.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Even better, 1tb. Great dream, martin. Now back to reality.

+16GB = A Great Dream. Absolutely unrealistic. Might as well be 1TB.

lol please read your custom title

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I used a 16 GB iPhone until about two months ago without issue. Going up to 32 is nice but it hasn't changed my life or anything. It would be cool if they raised the baseline to 32, but until they do, 16 is a fine option if you're trying to save money, as Housh is. The point about the resale value is a good one, though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What else can I use the iPad for? Specially once I get a new macbook pro? I'm likely going for the 15" and I heard it can be cumbersome because of the size specially on planes. Maybe then the iPad would be of good use?

I have never used a tablet for productivity but I understand times have changed a lot. I was happy with my Kindle Paperwhite but now it's becoming a huge hassle formatting PDF files. They never look right and sometimes I want colour and the ability to make simple notes.

Weedle posted:

16 is a fine option if you're trying to save money, as Housh is. The point about the resale value is a good one, though.
I figure getting 64GB so if I'm still not getting good use out of the iPad when I get the new macbook I can sell it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Animal posted:

+16GB = A Great Dream. Absolutely unrealistic. Might as well be 1TB.

lol please read your custom title

As in, it's not reality. Wake up, rear end in a top hat.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Housh posted:

What else can I use the iPad for? Specially once I get a new macbook pro? I'm likely going for the 15" and I heard it can be cumbersome because of the size specially on planes. Maybe then the iPad would be of good use?

I have never used a tablet for productivity but I understand times have changed a lot. I was happy with my Kindle Paperwhite but now it's becoming a huge hassle formatting PDF files. They never look right and sometimes I want colour and the ability to make simple notes.

I figure getting 64GB so if I'm still not getting good use out of the iPad when I get the new macbook I can sell it.

I have a macbook air (13") and an iPad Air 2. I mostly just use the iPad for reading PDFs and taking notes. I also watch some videos on it and sometimes use it as a second monitor with Duet. Honestly I probably don't use it enough to justify the money I spent on it, but I got it for a good deal so I'm not too mad ($350 for a 64GB IPad Air 2 in mint condition with a smart case on Swappa). I highly, highly, highly recommend buying used. If you do end up selling it later this year you'll probably be able to get most of your money back if you keep it in good shape.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I got my iPad Pro 12.7 on SA Mart for $100 below MSRP including a bunch of accessories including a $150 keyboard case. Probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. (It's pretty rad)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Weedle posted:

I found Mendeley to be very useful for organizing journal articles. It's free, syncs to the cloud and has web and desktop clients.

Wish I had known about this about a year or two ago. It still looks like it will be useful for future research on my own. Thank you for this!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just wanted to stop by and say that word flow keyboard is prob the best alternative keyboard i've used

well that's my story

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I enjoy it as well op.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just grabbed a 9.7" iPad Pro. What do you recommend for reading PDFs and Comics? Right now I have been using a free app called Crunchy in conjunction with Dropbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scribd or Adobe are fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

I just grabbed a 9.7" iPad Pro. What do you recommend for reading PDFs and Comics? Right now I have been using a free app called Crunchy in conjunction with Dropbox.

Tell me you also got a Pencil.

For comics I use Comixology, but I actually buy and subscribe to stuff through them.

For PDFs, you can't beat PDF Annotate (turn off Palm Detection in the app, it fucks with the Pencil).

ScannerPro for scanning docs and OCR.

For note taking, I like Noteshelf. The inking is superb, it uses a bookshelf paradigm with titled journals, and it has (for extra couple bucks) auto-sync with Evernote, which I still use a lot despite the rumors that it's dying. I'll probably move to OneNote as soon as I migrate my existing notebooks over. I will miss the extensive tagging quite a bit which is why I haven't moved my stuff yet.

Stuff I've used that I think is good:

Goodreader for PDF. Goodreader can pull in ANYTHING from just about ANYWHERE.
Notability and GoodNotes for handwritten notes. OneNote is also a decent option. Stay away from Penultimate, for it is poo poo.
OmniGraffle Pro for Visio diagrams (but really too expensive unless you use it to actually make money)
OmniFocus for task lists, but honestly Wunderlist meets most people's needs.
Prompt2 for SSH/Telnet
Textastic for quick and dirty plaintext/Python/bash edits.
ComicZeal for non Comixology/Amazon comics

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 3, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

flosofl posted:

Tell me you also got a Pencil.
They were out of the pencil which sucks because it was the only reason I went with the Pro :lol: They said they will have more in by Friday or I can order it online.

Thanks for the apps. I work out of my DropBox for pretty much everything so it's good that a lot of these apps can link to it. I can't believe how many notation apps are available.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Chunky is pretty good for comics. It supports pretty much all the cloud services also.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got an original iPad Air because I do not understand the iPad Pro (and because it was like a million dollars cheaper)

What should I care about on this thing

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Battery percentages, weather apps, and making sure to clear out background apps every half hour or so.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

serebralassazin posted:

Chunky is pretty good for comics. It supports pretty much all the cloud services also.
Yeah. That's the one I have been using for comics and books. It's great and free.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Battery percentages, weather apps, and making sure to clear out background apps every half hour or so.

One of the coolest iPad apps/usage is for virtual desktop or as a second monitor - check out Splashtop and Duet (the "application," not the game).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The game Duet rules though. You feel like a zen God on some of the later stages.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Word flow is very nice. Thanks for the recommendation. Was holding out for the google keyboard but this is smooth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So apparently Apple has brought in Trent Reznor to help redesign Apple Music. I have no idea how he's qualified to help out with such a task, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/05/apple-music-reportedly-getting-redesigned-will-be-unveiled-at-wwdc-2016/

Also a couple throwaway lines about trying to make iTunes less lovely, but we all know how that is going to play out.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

xzzy posted:

So apparently Apple has brought in Trent Reznor to help redesign Apple Music. I have no idea how he's qualified to help out with such a task, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/05/apple-music-reportedly-getting-redesigned-will-be-unveiled-at-wwdc-2016/

Also a couple throwaway lines about trying to make iTunes less lovely, but we all know how that is going to play out.

he was "Chief Creative Officer" of Beats' streaming service and has done some medium-to-very-smart things with his own digital distribution. so, not very qualified, but hopefully it's an improvement

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

bobfather posted:

The game Duet rules though. You feel like a zen God on some of the later stages.

This is true. Duet is unironically one of the best games I've played on any platform in years. I am generally not someone who even considers mobile gaming but it sticks around and I still occasionally boot up the daily challenges after poopsocking near 100% completion of the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Is there some way to stop the Twitter app from automatically jumping to the most recent tweet in your feed? It's really annoying to open the app after an hour or two, have it jump up, then have to scroll down so I can resume reading chronologically.