Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I immediately picked up on the Finn/Poe thing. I think they played their escape/reunion scenes with so much enthusiasm for each other it really stood out. Completely not expecting Disney to actually expand on it in future movies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Poe and Finn seemed more like super bros to me than anything but what do I know

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a surviving war hug, not a gay hug.

You can tell because neither of them bent their knee.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Brokeback Mountain-style super bros, yes.

Calling it now: Rey is actually Finn's beard. Chewbacca is transgender. Rey will hook up with Leia.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MonoAus posted:

Brokeback Mountain-style super bros, yes.

Calling it now: Rey is actually Finn's beard. Chewbacca is transgender. Rey will hook up with Leia.

Chewbacca is genderfluid. They identify as "huAAAaaarghh" but present as "HRAAAUaaarghyaaAAARGH" and "HAAAruaarrgh" depending on their whims.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope Poe/Finn is made canon, mostly because the impotent rage and accusations of SJW agendas will be glorious.

Idiots lost their minds at episode VII starring a black man and a woman. An interracial gay relationship would generate enough anger (and tumblr fanfiction) to power a small country.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Spalec posted:

I hope Poe/Finn is made canon, mostly because the impotent rage and accusations of SJW agendas will be glorious.

Idiots lost their minds at episode VII starring a black man and a woman. An interracial gay relationship would generate enough anger (and tumblr fanfiction) to power a small country.

I'd love a major movie franchise with a female lead that doesn't revolve entirely around her love life for a change.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Canemacar posted:

I'd love a major movie franchise with a female lead that doesn't revolve entirely around her love life for a change.

You don't want her to have it all?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Tomb Raider movies were pretty good for that. They kept the romancing stuff down to a minimum and really just focused on Lara killing a shitton of people in random ways.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It didn't help that in both movies the main attractive guy epitomized the bad boy lifestyle. Neither of them last.

Sage Grimm has a new favorite as of 00:17 on May 3, 2016

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

Canemacar posted:

Ripley and Hicks got a little friendly in Aliens, but I doiubt what she had could be considered a love life through those films.

Edit: unless your definition of a love life is vastly different than mine, I guess.

Degenerate Star has a new favorite as of 01:08 on May 3, 2016

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Spalec posted:

What robocop agendas? Do you think they're going to go full robocop with Finn? Maybe he'll just get a bionic back like Luke's hand.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I think Rei is gonna hook up with BB8 for some hot robo lovin.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kylo is gonna tongue his Vader mask.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Degenerate Star posted:

Ripley and Hicks got a little friendly in Aliens, but I doiubt what she had could be considered a love life through those films.

Edit: unless your definition of a love life is vastly different than mine, I guess.

It ended with a nice PTSD family unit with a pet bishop

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Tagichatn posted:

What robocop agendas? Do you think they're going to go full robocop with Finn? Maybe he'll just get a bionic back like Luke's hand.

Es Jay Double Ewes. The new forum filter turns that word into robocop. Right wing nutjobs lost their poo poo over a black guy staring in the lead in a feature film in tyool 2016, I'd love to imagine what a male homosexual relationship would generate.

I dunno, honestly, I feel like they'd be kind pigeonholing the actors into it, purely for comedy value to generate controversy.There's a difference between doing something ~edgy~ to advance the plot of story, and just being edgy for the sake of it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I think angry internet people have moved on about a black man being the lead in Star Wars, and are now choosing to be angry about a black man being in lead The Dark Tower. Even though Idris loving Elba as Roland and Matthew loving McConaughey as Walter will probably be the only part worth watching out of what will likely be a terrible movie.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I think Rei is gonna hook up with BB8 for some hot robo lovin.

There were certainly vibes between R2D2 and BB8. I foresee a robot threeway with C3PO. That's certainly something a SJW can get behind.

A White Guy posted:

comedy value

:allears:

Pretty pointless to argue about this considering it's not going to happen, though.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Wild T posted:

I think angry internet people have moved on about a black man being the lead in Star Wars, and are now choosing to be angry about a black man being in lead The Dark Tower. Even though Idris loving Elba as Roland and Matthew loving McConaughey as Walter will probably be the only part worth watching out of what will likely be a terrible movie.

Really? Im just hearing about this. Man, between this and Thor, Idris is the Old Faithful of stupid, racist nerd tears.

I'm curious how this will affect the initial group dynamic of Roland, Eddie, and O/detta though. Since race relations was an explicit part of her character in Drawing.

Edit: Old Faithful, not Old Yeller.

Canemacar has a new favorite as of 10:07 on May 3, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why do they need an eddie? I only liked the first book. If they have an eddie they'd have to compress the part I liked into the first half of the first act or something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I have no idea how they are going to portray Detta. King is goddawful at writing accents and she was a a racist, violent caricature that hated Roland for being a white man.

Just make her a legless rapist white lady and call it square.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how they are going to portray Detta. King is goddawful at writing accents and she was a a racist, violent caricature that hated Roland for being a white man.

Just make her a legless rapist white lady and call it square.

Keep her black, hopefully tone down a lot of the ridiculous Stephen King black people writing and if they really want to try and include the race poo poo, isn't Eddie a white dude?

I still don't really get why they want to make a dark tower movie at all. Even if it's rated R so much of it's just going to get cut out because so much of those books is just rambling conversations where nothing happens.

EDIT: I just remembered, wasn't one of her personalities a white lady? Or am I getting that mixed up with another awful character from a book I read once.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: I just remembered, wasn't one of her personalities a white lady? Or am I getting that mixed up with another awful character from a book I read once.

I think the non-crazy one was supposed to be an educated, driven woman determined to make something out of herself as a way of combating racism. There may have been something about other black protesters basically calling her an "oreo", but don't quote me on that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Canemacar posted:

I think the non-crazy one was supposed to be an educated, driven woman determined to make something out of herself as a way of combating racism. There may have been something about other black protesters basically calling her an "oreo", but don't quote me on that.

But she got a third one, didn't she?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The third one was supposed to be inbetween the two extremes of the originals. Also black though, as far as I remember. Or at least not explicitly white.

Jesus imagine the reaction when two flawed black personalities merge into an ideal one and it's white.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Detta's plot arc (if it even makes it into the film series) is the main complaint I see a lot but it's simple to write around. The way the character was written, Detta was more about hating the world for losing her legs and used race as an excuse (she was just all of Odetta's hatred and anger locked away into its own personality - presumably the combined Susannah is the 'real' Odetta before she was attacked). It would be simple for her to be against Idris just because he's a black man whose only companion is a white man, and therefore accusing him of selling out or whatever.

Other folks talk about how he's described as blue-eyed in the book, as if that's not the most minor thing they're gonna change in the adaptation. At least Elba can act and can pull off both the 'strong silent badass' and 'broken-down old noble' aspects of the character.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

My Lovely Horse posted:

The third one was supposed to be inbetween the two extremes of the originals. Also black though, as far as I remember. Or at least not explicitly white.

Jesus imagine the reaction when two flawed black personalities merge into an ideal one and it's white.

I think he's referring to Mia, the one that appears in the fifth book and is white. But she's only a temporary personality/person that goes away after book 6.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 11:52 on May 3, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mia is not really her though, furthermore :goonsay: Personally I'm looking forward to Idris Elba dropping mescaline and banging a ghost. Also it was weird that people thought Aaron Paul would be a good Eddie just because he played a junkie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's pretty much the thought process in the general audience though. "Who could play X" = "who has already played X". Like back in the day when there were fantasy casts for Good Omens floating around and everyone was like "well the Metatron [who has a two page appearance in the book tops] obviously needs to be Alan Rickman because Dogma :downs:"

This might have something to do with this whole fan theory thing where people build huge fantasy continuity constructs out of unrelated movies. There is only one Metatron and it's Rickman. All junkies are the same person.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think he's referring to Mia, the one that appears in the fifth book and is white. But she's only a temporary personality/person that goes away after book 6.
... huh, I coulda sworn I'd read that. Apparently I'm bad at retaining information.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I look forward to seeing how they film Roland's final tour through Tull, mowing down the entire town's population.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Shall I tell you what happened in Tull" is absolutely great and I'm glad King realised he was OP and nerfed him for DoT.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Spalec posted:

Interracial gay is more socially acceptable than black man/white woman.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The internet would rather see a gay relationship than a black man in a relationship with a white woman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mine is quite irrational but it's based in solid logic, if that helps.

In the Civil War trailers, we see Black Panther and various people beating the poo poo out of each other. We see a bullet fired from a chopper glance off BP's arm like it ain't no thang.

That tells me, dude has vibranium armor or vibranium weave because a: he's wakandan (where the poo poo comes from) and b: he has "panther" powers which ain't really much in the way of having bullets bounce off you.

So, my IIMM is that there are probably scenes in the movie where someone (possibly a tactical genius like Cap) is punching him and fighting him while knowing it's not doing poo poo to the guy in the suit, unless he's only in one fight and they figure it out at the end. I don't have faith in movies to do poo poo like that though.

I can buy the Iron Man armor not really keeping Tony from getting beaten up because of how hard Cap (and Bucky I guess) can hit, but that's because Iron Man's armor is not made of something that is literally invented to stop all forms of vibration and impact.

Maybe Cap manages to bitchslap him with the shield? I dunno. Just bugged me when I saw the trailers and saw people still punching the dude while I know they know his armor stops him from feeling any kind of impact. I'd think TACTICAL GENIUS would be "throw him somewhere, have Falcon drop his rear end off 5 blocks away or something" or at least "throw him in an arm bar or something" instead of just whiffing punches and kicks off the dude.

Anyway, all speculation at the moment since all I've seen is trailers, but it annoyed me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Mine is quite irrational but it's based in solid logic, if that helps.

In the Civil War trailers, we see Black Panther and various people beating the poo poo out of each other. We see a bullet fired from a chopper glance off BP's arm like it ain't no thang.

That tells me, dude has vibranium armor or vibranium weave because a: he's wakandan (where the poo poo comes from) and b: he has "panther" powers which ain't really much in the way of having bullets bounce off you.

So, my IIMM is that there are probably scenes in the movie where someone (possibly a tactical genius like Cap) is punching him and fighting him while knowing it's not doing poo poo to the guy in the suit, unless he's only in one fight and they figure it out at the end. I don't have faith in movies to do poo poo like that though.

I can buy the Iron Man armor not really keeping Tony from getting beaten up because of how hard Cap (and Bucky I guess) can hit, but that's because Iron Man's armor is not made of something that is literally invented to stop all forms of vibration and impact.

Maybe Cap manages to bitchslap him with the shield? I dunno. Just bugged me when I saw the trailers and saw people still punching the dude while I know they know his armor stops him from feeling any kind of impact. I'd think TACTICAL GENIUS would be "throw him somewhere, have Falcon drop his rear end off 5 blocks away or something" or at least "throw him in an arm bar or something" instead of just whiffing punches and kicks off the dude.

Anyway, all speculation at the moment since all I've seen is trailers, but it annoyed me.

There is absolutely no reason Iron Man should be affected by punches and kicks, in his first movie he gets shot by a tank, falls hundreds of feet, and is perfectly fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I feel like a lot of the fights in that line of movies (and superhero movies in general) are like that - guys throwing each other around and punching each other while causing no or very little damage. The justification for why they're wasting their time is probably just "it looks cool".

I also hate how in movies/tv shows where they build up to some intense showdown between two really powerful things and they settle it with...a fist/knife fight, not even bothering to use the full extent of their powers we spent all movie/season hearing about. I'm looking at you, Supernatural. It's irrationally irritating I guess because I know exactly why they do it - to save money on special effects - but it gets to the point where things hardly seem like a threat anymore because they're basically just stronger than normal dudes with a knife.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Murphy Brownback posted:

I feel like a lot of the fights in that line of movies (and superhero movies in general) are like that - guys throwing each other around and punching each other while causing no or very little damage. The justification for why they're wasting their time is probably just "it looks cool".

I also hate how in movies/tv shows where they build up to some intense showdown between two really powerful things and they settle it with...a fist/knife fight, not even bothering to use the full extent of their powers we spent all movie/season hearing about. I'm looking at you, Supernatural. It's irrationally irritating I guess because I know exactly why they do it - to save money on special effects - but it gets to the point where things hardly seem like a threat anymore because they're basically just stronger than normal dudes with a knife.

I've said it before, but that is the best part of Supernatural.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

There is absolutely no reason Iron Man should be affected by punches and kicks, in his first movie he gets shot by a tank, falls hundreds of feet, and is perfectly fine.

I always handwaved that away by saying it's different armor. Maybe he traded some durability for speed or better repulsors or something.

He got kinda hosed up by the f22? shooting at him in Iron Man, and later in IM2 Whiplash kinda hosed up his suitcase suit pretty badly. His armor is way less bulky than it was, and now kinda transforms around him like in IM3/Avengers 2. Maybe having it be more portable or easier to remove means it gets damaged a lot easier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the way he used the portapotty armour when Loki invaded Stark tower in the first Avengers movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

The internet would rather see a gay relationship than a black man in a relationship with a white woman.
A black man in a gay relationship is safe because his superior negro penis will be too occupied with things you definitely don't spend any time thinking about to impregnate your white woman.