Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I just discovered this show today and got absolutely no work done because I was too busy laughing at New York's sanitation history.

If you're heading backwards through the archives then hoo boy have you got a trip ahead of you. And I mean that in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I just finished The Witch of Wall Street one and I'm crying.

"LOOK, SHE'S A WALKING PLOT OF FARM!"

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Every time they do a riff with their Irish voices, do a shot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Copper Vein posted:

Every time they do a riff with their Irish voices, do a shot.

Note: Do not play this drinking game with the Fenian Raids episode.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

The part where the Fenians are drawing up the constitution of Ireland and they keep putting Polish jokes in it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The sheer horror of historical daily life is communicated so well in The Dollop.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
There's a video of the second Chicago show, about Ten Cent Beer Night Disco Demolition Night, which I am super excited to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxo2FJ-cskU

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 3, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

disco demolition night is magical

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

abraham linksys posted:

There's a video of the second Chicago show, about Ten Cent Beer Night, which I am super excited to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxo2FJ-cskU

They did a repeat? Boo.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Toxxupation posted:

They did a repeat? Boo.

No, it's not about Ten Cent Beer Night at all. It's just the video recording of the latest one, about the Disco Demolition.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Yeah sorry that was a weird slip on my part

They are very similar concepts though!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

abraham linksys posted:

Yeah sorry that was a weird slip on my part

They are very similar concepts though!!

Something about baseball brings out the worst in people.

I think it's the length.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This one's recent enough that there's tons of footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
An important thing to remember: Disco actually fuckin' ruled and the kind of people who hated it to the point of blowing up records were lovely people.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 4, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the hate came from it being popular among black and gay people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let's not revise history. Disco was one of the most overplayed and aggressively, annoyingly dominant music fads of its decade and of all time. There's a reason the '70s are known as the decade of disco, it was so overplayed and so specifically and exclusively formed around its own culture (disco halls, which were literally just dance clubs that exclusively played disco, for instance) that it made itself extremely dislikeable. It also marketed itself as aggressively "counterculture", which made its mainstream dominance even more aggravating because you had a bunch of people rebelling against the system, maaaaaaan being directly associated with the most popular music genre of its day. It would be like if people held up Taylor Swift music as some treatise against the entrenched American oligarchy.

Yes, a lot of hatred against disco was because of racism and homophobia, but it was also because it was loving everywhere. For every Earth, Wind, and Fire you had a zillion lovely white dudes with perms using drum machines.

Basically disco was the 70s version of EDM or dubstep. It was everywhere, there was a super bothersome and annoying culture around it that held it up as "subverting the paradigm" when in fact it was one of the strongest voices reinforcing it, it was totally and often incorrectly used by people trying to catch onto the latest music fad, its fans were often the absolute worst people ever, and the lovely artists outnumbered the good ones by a lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My dad was in a disco band. Stayin aliiiiive

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I don't know why they took all the fun out of baseball... I would go to more games if wacky poo poo happened all the time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I don't know why they took all the fun out of baseball... I would go to more games if wacky poo poo happened all the time.

On the other hand, "winning" a live animal or entirely too many pastries sounds like a goddamn threat.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

On the other hand, "winning" a live animal or entirely too many pastries sounds like a goddamn threat.

I wouldn't turn down a thousand cans of beer.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

ohrwurm posted:

I wouldn't turn down a thousand cans of beer.

Uhh sorry pal, that was last week. Now take your dozen pigeons and go.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

entirely too many pastries

things you never hear a goon say

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This episode owned and imho it is the best live Dollop

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
This show is so great. My favorite so far has been The Straw Hat Riot. The line "Why don't we all just stop giving a poo poo?" is the perfect summary of America.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What episode is the "All hail queen poo poo of liesville" line from the opening from? I've caught up but I don't think I ever heard it.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What episode is the "All hail queen poo poo of liesville" line from the opening from? I've caught up but I don't think I ever heard it.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-viii-competitive-extreme-tickling

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nah, it's episode 4. Ghosts.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I knew about Eddie Gaedel and a few of the other things mentioned in this one, but the scoreboard playing a screaming FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD is still cracking me up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Power of Pecota posted:

I knew about Eddie Gaedel and a few of the other things mentioned in this one, but the scoreboard playing a screaming FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD is still cracking me up.

I'm so glad it was a live show, because hearing "Veeck" mispronounced for the whole show would have driven me mad.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

all the best dollops are about baseball

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

oatgan posted:

I would go broader and say the best ones are about sports really.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

oatgan posted:

As the most American sport it should be no surprise its history is riddled with insanity

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

oatgan posted:

The Ferguson episode is the best because it breaks Gareth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/729356967584522241

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXuCYB4jQ

There's a clip from the dollop episode episode 54 seconds in.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Saw the trailer for Free State of Jones this weekend; I'm pretty sure it shows the baby scene about to happen in the trailer.

The first baby scene, not the second. Although that would also be good.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the tickle empire

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm glad The Dollop is now culturally relevant enough to be regularly referenced in other media like it ain't a thing.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

God oh god oh god, I pray that Gareth gets his own talking head segment in that movie and is identified with text onscreen as "Gary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXuCYB4jQ

There's a clip from the dollop episode episode 54 seconds in.

The super serious tone in this video is super loving funny.