Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So you're saying nobody's dying but Fort Mac could very well be wiped off the map by tomorrow? And this is supposed to be a bad thing??? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

sitchensis posted:

Posting on this forum won't make the fires burn any less hot. Hell, even if the people of Ft. McMurray had woken up one day and decided to start a people's revolution to overthrow the shackles of big oil and have a giant solar farm love-in, their town would still be burning down because climate change is an aggregate sort of thing.

I suppose it's not so much glee as it is a kind of resignation that this type of thing was predicted to be inevitable and unstoppable long ago. If not Fort Mac, then High River, or Kelowna, or Prince George. This won't be the last human settlement that will face an increased threat from wildfires due to climate change. But, as one of the first to experience the type of devastation we can expect to occur with increasing frequency during the 21st century, there is a certain bit of morbid irony about it.

Got into a climate denial debate with my father in law last weekend. I fear his generation is going to die refusing to admit there might be something going on other than "it's been warm before". Almost as much fun as dealing with First Nations Traditional Knowledge: "The Climate's changed before."

Whoa, I need to write a paper based on this amazing insight.

On the positive side, sounds like the Okanagan cherry crop is a week earlier than anything on record. Hopefully the Okanagan doesn't burn before it comes in.

Edit: Yep, definitely no place to stay now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjAkg2BNShc

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 4, 2016

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

So you're saying nobody's dying but Fort Mac could very well be wiped off the map by tomorrow? And this is supposed to be a bad thing??? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You have a good point. If this fire allows the towns population to avoid the long, slow and painful economic decline of a place like Flint MI by immediately packing up and leaving en masse, it could almost be a good thing

now how can we make the same thing happen for every province on the east coast, most of the BC interior, and any town that isn't within 100km of a city with a population > 850,000 ...hmm...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Gaia the Earth Mother has spoken.

vote green

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I have friends who live in Fort Mac. I haven't heard from them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

I have friends who live in Fort Mac. I haven't heard from them.

https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/fortmcmurray-wildfire-may03-2016/

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

sitchensis posted:

now how can we make the same thing happen for every province on the east coast, most of the BC interior, and any town that isn't within 100km of a city with a population > 850,000 ...hmm...

quote:

Ever since 1949, the peaceful island of La Palma has been a ticking time bomb. Some scientists believe that another eruption could send 500 cubic kilometres of the island crashing into the sea. The result could be a colossal landslide with enough energy to generate the biggest wave humanity has ever seen, unleashed not upon the Pacific, but the Atlantic. It could be the first mega-tsunami in recorded history.
Fingers crossed

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm so glad a whole town is burning down HAHAHAHA loving losers, deserve to DIE

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

lol Brian Pallisters Minister who handles Francophone affairs doesn't speak french

Pallister probably figured that "Rochelle" sounded french enough so he put her in that portfolio. There's actually only one bilingual PC member (Jon Reyes). This is really weird, considering that if you stopped 40 random people in Manitoba, you'd have a hard time only finding 1 of them who was bilingual (official odds are that you'd find at least 4). Then again, the MB PCs are more representative of a Chamber of Commerce convention than the actual population anyway.

If you're keeping score, he also put an agriculture advocate in charge of education and took a former school principal and put him in charge of agriculture.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 4, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Do it ironically posted:

I'm so glad a whole town is burning down HAHAHAHA loving losers, deserve to DIE

Unironically this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ugh! Why didn't Justin Trudeau summon Superman?!!?! What a hack - loving "thoughts with you" PM bastard.

/s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

Ugh! Why didn't Justin Trudeau summon Superman?!!?! What a hack - loving "thoughts with you" PM bastard.

/s

Someone in an online comments section was bitching "thoughts aren't enough, we need prayers!"

Maybe they could find a genie that will grant them a wish, after!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

Pallister probably figured that "Rochelle" sounded french enough so he put her in that portfolio. There's actually only one bilingual PC member (Jon Reyes). This is really weird, considering that if you stopped 40 random people in Manitoba, you'd have a hard time only finding 1 of them who was bilingual (official odds are that you'd find at least 4). Then again, the MB PCs are more representative of a Chamber of Commerce convention than the actual population anyway.

If you're keeping score, he also put an agriculture advocate in charge of education and took a former school principal and put him in charge of agriculture.

He also folded the environmental portfolio into "The Minister of Sustainable Growth" clearly we have priorities

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
16 kt west winds going to hit mcmurray this aft around 3pm est?

https://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/canada?utm_source=www.windfinder.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=redirect#6/56.705/-111.286

and speaking of natural disasters, our premier is in the news.

quote:

Sexual harassment allegations have been made against at least two Ontario Liberal MPPs since Kathleen Wynne became premier in 2013, she revealed Tuesday.

Responding to questions from CBC News, Wynne confirmed she has dealt with "a couple of instances" of sexual harassment allegations against MPPs.

"The situations are confidential so I'm not going to go into details," Wynne said. "But because we have a code of ethics, because we have a code of conduct, I have had a context within which to have those conversations with MPPs and I have done so."

But Wynne would not say what discipline the MPPs faced, if any.

"The conversations have been confidential for various reasons. Not the least of which is that the people who brought complaints forward were not looking for a public process, they were looking for a confidential process. So I'm not at liberty to talk about those situations but I have had to deal with situations and have dealt with them within the context of the code of conduct that we have in place."

Wynne recently called for PC leader Patrick Brown to kick MPP Jack MacLaren out of his caucus for telling a sexist joke.

Wynne did not indicate whether the Liberal MPPs who faced the harassment claims are still at Queen's Park.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kathleen-wynne-sexual-harassment-ontario-liberal-mpp-1.3564237

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 4, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/727849534420717569

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

16 kt west winds going to hit mcmurray this aft around 3pm est?

https://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/canada?utm_source=www.windfinder.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=redirect#6/56.705/-111.286

and speaking of natural disasters, our premier is in the news.

Since 2013? But Patrick Brown has only been there since 2015 :ohdear:

Cultural Imperial posted:

Praise be to god. Ft McMurray deserves this.

CI is a godly man :raise:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rime posted:

I'm remembering back when all you chucklefucks claimed we couldn't just abolish our worthless warhawking military because "what if there's a natural disaster!!!1111". :allears:

Instead of a military, we should have some form of civil organization, organized on military lines, that teaches disaster relief skills, for use here an potentially abroad. It might be easier to do this under the military's existing organization, but in that case drop most of the firearms and combat training and replace it with first aid, fighting fires, flood relief, urban rescue, logistics, etc.

Anyway, these fires are hosed up. Driving along a highway covered in smoke and fire would be loving terrifying.

I wonder how much of the town will be rebuilt. I imagine its been hit hard by job losses, I'd think a lot of the people that are leaving won't have much reason to go back.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

NOTE: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PT6A posted:

Someone in an online comments section was bitching "thoughts aren't enough, we need prayers!"

Maybe they could find a genie that will grant them a wish, after!

How about :

"Place your trust in Allah, but tie your camel."

"He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment."

"I most humbly thank Thee, oh Noodly Appendaged One, for Touching me with the mental capacity to adapt the mythologies of This Universe to aid and comfort me here, until that day I am able to join together with my Pastafarian Brothers and Sisters at the foot of the Beer Volcano, and enumerate my specifications at the Stripper Factory, so that happiness and contentedness and good cheer be present for all, forever and forever,

RAmen."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

And with this, every Albertan can gauge the true cost of the fire. They shall weep for days, for the the alter of the almighty truck has been sullied by ash. Weep not for house equity, weep for truck and toy equity, and lost chances at mudding in your rig.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

And with this, every Albertan can gauge the true cost of the fire. They shall weep for days, for the the alter of the almighty truck has been sullied by ash. Weep not for house equity, weep for truck and toy equity, and lost chances at mudding in your rig.

I'm sorry, sir... your Truck Nutz did not survive the fire...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Conservative beliefs about surpluses and economic prudence are the result of a corporation creating a fantasy world.

A good cartoon meme.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

But yet, when someone burns down a failing restaurant for the insurance money,we scoff.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

NOTE: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Lmao in the 19 budgets filed by Conservative Prime Ministers, 3 have had surpluses and that counts Harpers final bullshitty surplus. The Liberal Party is better at being fiscally Conservative than the Conservative party.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

The Liberal Party is better at being fiscally Conservative than the Conservative party.

I'm not sure what's sadder. The cons bragging about an attribute they don't have or an attribute that noooobody cares about.

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/727567681092784128

The Rona/Trudeau dynamic is more annoying than anything I thought possible, thanks NDP.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A lot of people care about the fiscally conservative part.

Particularly the ones that tend to vote.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
did the sulphur ziggurat burn and submerge the ruins of fort mcmurray in molten sulphur in the clearest sign of divine will since the old testament

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Conservatives actually did leave a surplus :ssh:

Someone buy Emay an account
https://twitter.com/mikedesouza/status/727875215439470592

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

A lot of people care about the fiscally conservative part.

Particularly the ones that tend to vote.

Yeah, I mean 20 is a lot of people but it's not enough to win any elections. Your majority of Ontarians clearly don't and Trudeau has huge approval ratings that are still going up after a $30b deficit budget. It's dumb of the cons to pander to the tiny population of voters who care about whether the budget is slightly above or below zero rather than the voters who care what they spend it on. The meme should be talking about the legend of the universal means tested income supplements for parents. The bickering about the surplus/deficit is ridiculous. Whatever it was, it was small. PBO says it was a surplus but there's no point harping on it because it was small.

99% of canadians have no idea what our debt is or what it means. Some of them may care strongly about whether an accounting ledger shows a positive or negative at the end of the year but I think most will care more about the programs that affect them. It's too bad the conservatives didn't do more while they were in power that was worth bragging about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So did fort mac burn down overnight?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Neighbourhoods affected as of 4 a.m. MT:

Abasand: Serious loss, south worse than north
Beacon Hill: 80 per cent of homes destroyed
​Dickinsfield: Two houses destroyed
Downtown: One house destroyed
Draper: Unknown
Grayling Terrace: One house destroyed
​Gregoire: No homes affected
​Thickwood: One house destroyed
​Timberlea: 12 trailers destroyed
​Watersway: Serious loss
Wood Buffalo: Damaged but not as severe as Abasand or Beacon Hill

from the cbc. that was hours ago tho so idk what's up now

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So to the residents of Fort Mac, will there be enlightenment over the consequences of global warming?

I know the real answer here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

So to the residents of Fort Mac, will there be enlightenment over the consequences of global warming?

Hahahahahahaha good one

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
CTV is saying the fires are out within the city limits.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
yes I'm sure the residents of fort mac will be able to convvince China and the US to significantly cut down their fossil fuel emissions, they've been enlightened

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Friends and family are safely out of Fort Mac. So with that in mind I can't feel sympathetic to self-mutilation unless caused by mental disease. Now I'm not saying Conservatism is a mental disease but...

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Do it ironically posted:

yes I'm sure the residents of fort mac will be able to convvince China and the US to significantly cut down their fossil fuel emissions, they've been enlightened

:lol:

Please... stop... too funny...

:qq: You do realize that the US has been going through the same thing for the same reasons, right?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Those loving trucknutting losers working in the oil sands deserve to have their city burned, they should have got a sweet dece six figure IT admin job in Toronto in stead

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

Yeah lol the tar sands are actually harmless and wouldn't be a good place at all to start giving a poo poo about the environment in our own country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

No, I think this is a good idea. Half of a Canadian city being destroyed by wildfire is major news. It's an excellent time to examine why and how to prevent this from happening again in the future. What are the NDP/Liberals saying? Just "natural disaster" or are they digging a bit deeper?

Is Notley's $15 million wildfire management budget cut still going to happen? I will laugh and laugh if it is.